• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Apple announces VR headset Vision Pro will launch next year at $3,499

I think this will be more of a game changer than people think. I think Apple is on the right track in terms of understanding that having a person completely shut off from the room around them is a big problem, and the steps to mitigate that are very smart.

Everyone gets too caught up in comparing every Apple thing to the iPhone unveil. This is more like what the Mac was to home computers in the 80s I think when it first launched (mouse and all).

But eventually this will get better and better and I do think in the long term, glasses style devices will start to replace having to carry a fat slab phone for a lot of people.

But for now going the "Ready Player One" route design wise is not a bad idea either, there are slimmer AR headsets, but to fit all the cameras/sensors and the M2 chip in there probably is just not feasible in that form factor.

6FVgxJR.png

at a glance, apple seems to have made good progress on the ux front which previous ar headsets struggled with. still remains to be seen if the actual experience will be transformative enough to justify the cost (which will likely be lowered for future gens and a non-pro version) or the burden of wearing the vision pro where a good amount of what it does can already be done with apple watch, iphone, or a macbook

spatial video and photos though, i could see those becoming a bigger deal if they're as good as the previews are saying

If I wanted to look like an asshole I could just just spill mustard all over my shirt, and friend, the most delicious mustard at the super market doesn't cost any $3500 USD.

About time! I was getting tired of "Vision Amateur". Time to class up this joint!

I think this will be more of a game changer than people think. I think Apple is on the right track in terms of understanding that having a person completely shut off from the room around them is a big problem, and the steps to mitigate that are very smart.
You think this does anything to mitigate that?

You think this does anything to mitigate that?

I think being able to see other people (gee what a concept) when they approach you is very smart. The eye thing too, like even if it is a bit weird, it is still better to be able to see someones eyes when they are talking to you or at the very least it gives an indicator to the person talking to you if you are aware they are there or not.

I think overall Apple is going to do a lot to make VR/AR products more user friendly and less isolating. The ability to see your environment in high fidelity and not some weird black and white pass through like PS5 VR is a big deal.

Color passthrough is nice and an obvious necessity for proper mixed reality, but it's not something Vision Pro is the first to do either.

The impressions from people who have tried it are all over Youtube, the consensus seems to be this is very impressive to mind blowing even.

I think this is going to impress a lot of people as a proof of concept even if not many can pay that kind of money for it.

I see the appeal as a device for consuming content and doing professional work, collaboratively or alone. The technology and integration are certainly impressive.

The aspects that creep me out are related to the outward facing 3d screen and the facetime avatar.
The idea of tricking others into thinking they are seeing me when they are actually seeing an extrapolated interpretation is unsettling, even though it's not fundamentally different from hearing my real voice vs. hearing a compressed and digitized reconstruction of my voice during a phone conversation.

I fear that, just as is already happening on social media and on whatsapp, my actual intent will become increasingly diluted in a sea of externally biased information, and this will remove even more of my control over the nature of virtual interactions.

The aspects that creep me out are related to the outward facing 3d screen and the facetime avatar.
The idea of tricking others into thinking they are seeing me when they are actually seeing an extrapolated interpretation is unsettling, even though it's not fundamentally different from hearing my real voice vs. hearing a compressed and digitized reconstruction of my voice during a phone conversation.
I don't mind the outward facing screen, but I really would have preferred they went with an animoji type solution for video chat. The uncanny valley is strong here.

I don't mind the outward facing screen, but I really would have preferred they went with an animoji type solution for video chat. The uncanny valley is strong here.
Don't you find the idea of others in the same room seeing you as a top-half virtual face, bottom-half real face a bit disturbing?

That just seems so creepy to me, even more than the video chat avatar.

It reminds me of this, in spirit:

Don't you find the idea of others in the same room seeing you as a top-half virtual face, bottom-half real face a bit disturbing?

That just seems so creepy to me, even more than the video chat avatar.

It reminds me of this, in spirit:

I think the fact that it's rendered to look like you're looking through a semi-translucent set of goggles kind of works for me.

Everyone gets too caught up in comparing every Apple thing to the iPhone unveil. This is more like what the Mac was to home computers in the 80s I think when it first launched (mouse and all).

But eventually this will get better and better and I do think in the long term, glasses style devices will start to replace having to carry a fat slab phone for a lot of people.

But for now going the "Ready Player One" route design wise is not a bad idea either, there are slimmer AR headsets, but to fit all the cameras/sensors and the M2 chip in there probably is just not feasible in that form factor.
Its more like the Lisa I think. ALl the ideas are there but the package and price isnt yet.

Well, as timing would have it, I just demoed this at an Apple store today lol. Cool has hell, but would definitely never pay anywhere near the asking price

Back
Top Bottom