• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Apple announces VR headset Vision Pro will launch next year at $3,499

xjCH2Ya_d.webp

Black Mirror called, it wants its episode back.

Last edited:
I think this has always been rumored to be aimed more at corporate offices than home users (for now) and the price definitely reflects that. On the other hand their monitors start at $1599 so if you replace the need for that with something you stick to your face it makes slightly more sense.

I don’t think this hits mainstream availability for probably another 5 years at minimum. But I think their video presentation did a good job of pitching it to average people, although that could just be the Apple reality distortion field in effect.

Also I can’t help linking to a Netrunner card because this is all I could think about while they were showing it:

6SBKZzm.jpg

Last edited:
I’d be really interested in seeing this benchmarked against Meta Quest 3 at $499. Apple will surely have bleeding edge tech in their set, but like, $3000 more?

"No one's gonna buy this anyway, the ones that'll actually do would pay any price for it, so price it whatever"

Seriously, who needs a surface screen for this? I don't want anyone to see my eyes while i'm using this, they're not pretty.

some people saying this is cheaper than they expected uhhhh
I think prices as high as $4000-5000 had been floated. Apple's other hardcore Pro hardware, the Mac Pro, starts at $6999, so it didn't seem beyond belief.

I’d be really interested in seeing this benchmarked against Meta Quest 3 at $499. Apple will surely have bleeding edge tech in their set, but like, $3000 more?
Full AR, foveated rendering, 4K resolution per eye with OLED blacks, and a way beefier chipset. Lidar!

If anything, we should be comparing it to the ill-fated Quest Pro. They're targeting a similar audience.

this is not a mass market product, they don't expect it to fly off the shelves
for the tech packed into it the price is reasonable

but i think even for a niche product this is going to flop very badly, and they're marketing it terribly. someone has it on while packing a suitcase? what?

this is not a mass market product, they don't expect it to fly off the shelves
for the tech packed into it the price is reasonable

but i think even for a niche product this is going to flop very badly, and they're marketing it terribly. someone has it on while packing a suitcase? what?
Honestly, travel work is a scenario where I can see this really singing. Aside from watching movies and whatnot, it basically means you can take a full multimonitor setup with you anywhere you go, and at 4k per eye, you're not losing anything in terms of resolution.

I’ll be honest, I would like to try this out, it seems like really cool tech. I like the idea of having a movie on and then having a background to blend in, problem is, most films are over 2 hours these days so that 2 hour battery life isn’t great. Be cool to see how games run on it as well.

I’ll be honest, I would like to try this out, it seems like really cool tech. I like the idea of having a movie on and then having a background to blend in, problem is, most films are over 2 hours these days so that 2 hour battery life isn’t great. Be cool to see how games run on it as well.
It can also run indefinitely plugged in to the wall, which is probably not a deal-killer if you’re using it to substitute for a desk.

Hahhahhahhahhahhahhahhahahhahhhahhahahhahhahaha

breathes in

Hahahhahhahhahhahhahahahahaha

5000 dollars Canadian, gtfo of here Apple.

It can also run indefinitely plugged in to the wall, which is probably not a deal-killer if you’re using it to substitute for a desk.

At least it’s an option, can’t imagine sitting with the headset on also plugged into the mains trying to get comfy watching a film

It's firmly aimed at businesses and developers. In a few years, when they release a consumer model, it'll have a proper ecosystem built out.
That's no fucking excuse. Apple will do what Apple does best, bring good electronics into the world, and charge far too much for them.

Charging an extra 200-400 for 64-128gb of storage is a scam.

obviously this item isn't for the mainstream at all. I do wonder what comes of this 3-5 years down the line. That's kind of what I'm interested in. Is this opening the door more for AR or is it a fart in the wind lmao.

Or what I like to call it, "a google moment."

This is a completely different type of product than Meta Quest 3 is, AFAIK

It seems like they're marketing this as a full Mac experience without the monitor, rather than a system for gaming. The price starts to make sense when you see it like that.

This is a completely different type of product than Meta Quest 3 is, AFAIK

It seems like they're marketing this as a full Mac experience without the monitor, rather than a system for gaming. The price starts to make sense when you see it like that.
Ewwwwwwwwwww. I hate this even more now.

Sure, whatever, I assumed you would. Mind giving your idea of a version of this product you would like?
Haha sorry. In my eye I don't see VR for anything but gaming or VR experiences. I would never use VR for a desktop experience, doesn't make sense to me or click for me.

However they would have done market research, so there's clearly a want, even if very niche, of the product. 5000 CAD is still stupid high. You can get a Mac for 1600, so where is the other 3400 coming from to warrant that much of a price gap. Apple pricing is insane to me, and I'll never get how people can just fork over money to something that expensive. But to each their own.

I don't judge people who buy Apple products, I just don't get the appeal.

I haven't adjusted for inflation, but over the last 9 years I've been an early adopter of Oculus DK2, CV1, Go, Quest 1, and Quest 2, for a total of about $2100.

Sure, whatever, I assumed you would. Mind giving your idea of a version of this product you would like?
This is not really directed at you, you're just the latest person I've seen use this argument, but why is the response to "I don't think this product looks good" so often "okay then why don't you design a new product?"

This is not really directed at you, you're just the latest person I've seen use this argument, but why is the response to "I don't think this product looks good" so often "okay then why don't you design a new product?"

That's a misrepresentation of my exchange with that other user, but sure, I guess I could explain myself to you. Can't speak for all the other people though.

PR said they thought the price was bad, and then they saw me explaining to someone else about how it justifies its price further than just being a gaming product. PR then responds to me, saying "eeewwwwwwwwww that's even worse!!!" So, naturally, I wanted to know what would make the price better in their eyes, since what they were responding to in my opinion does make it better.

But, more importantly, hopefully this clears it up for you that in no way was I saying "well you do it then if you're so good!" or whatever you were lumping onto me

3000 would've been pretty fair, but what do I know. 2 hours of battery and OLED panels are neat.

It looks stupid, though, I can never dig the form factor of these products, but it's something you forget about once you wear it, so it doesn't matter too much.

Haha sorry. In my eye I don't see VR for anything but gaming or VR experiences. I would never use VR for a desktop experience, doesn't make sense to me or click for me.

However they would have done market research, so there's clearly a want, even if very niche, of the product. 5000 CAD is still stupid high. You can get a Mac for 1600, so where is the other 3400 coming from to warrant that much of a price gap. Apple pricing is insane to me, and I'll never get how people can just fork over money to something that expensive. But to each their own.

I don't judge people who buy Apple products, I just don't get the appeal.

You just seem like, incredibly flustered for someone who thinks the price is way too high for a product they have zero interest in

Too expensive - price will come down later
low battery life - may not be solvable unless Apple keeps performance even and let node shrinks and newer designs increase battery life

Apple is never ever targeting the end consumer market with this. Even Apple knows this. With 3500USD, they are attacking the professional market. This is the perfect app for high class services like real estate agents or first/business class airlines. For architects anyway. But to them, they don't have to sell it, but its good to show them: "Hey, we don't run something super custom and complicated, we have here basically a MacMini on your head." Thats the USP, not that Aunt Jen will also know use VR.
Its the same market Meta wanted to reach with their Quest Pro, but failed to communicate this well. Beside Meta no one believes to make any snappy software, Apple you will trust, especially if you are anyway already using Mac/IPhones like many good earning Americans.

I mean, I know it may not be very likely, but it would be a fantastic time for Nintendo to come in with a $399 Switch 2 VR.

MK9..... MP4...... Wara Wara Plaza/Super Nintendo Land..... F-Zero...... Star Fox.....

Yeah, I'll die on this hill.

Watched the presentation, and Vision Pro looks cool. I’m interested in trying it in an Apple Store eventually though I may douse myself in sanitizer afterward. I can see where this device would be useful and best suited. That said, this is definitely not for me, even if a cheaper consumer version releases in the future. I buy a lot of Apple products. The important thing is knowing what my needs are.

Personally, I like the separation between looking at a screen and not so the immersion that Apple spent the first part of the video lauding isn’t a positive for me. And I don’t want to wear a thing for tasks that are likelier faster and easier to do on my iPhone or Mac.

Last edited:
The problem I have with this "business" headset is that I don't feel a business is gonna be as willing to pay the Apple tax as a average consumer will. Consumers can be wowed by style, or the QoL improvements great software provides, a business less so. They're gonna ask "how can we do X with the least amount capital needed?". There's a reason schools gave students cheap Chromebooks over even Windows PCs, much less Macs. At the end of the day if a business can get VR headsets from Oculus or HP that can do what Apple can do it at half the price, even if it's at degrade quality, they'll go cheaper.

Reading through https://arstechnica.com/information...te-ai-never-came-up-by-name-but-it-was-there/ and I just caught that they're doing a high tech version of slapping Googly Eyes on the front of a head mounted display 😂

Finally, during the demo for the new Apple Vision Pro, the company revealed that the moving image of a user's eyes on the front of the goggles comes from a special 3D avatar created by scanning your face—and you guessed it, machine learning.

they went through the trouble of getting Hideo Kojima to show up at the event, only for him to confirm that Death Stranding is getting a Mac port and nothing else.
It's not a proper Apple event without some vague commitment to "we have games" and then nothing more for the next year.

Back
Top Bottom