• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion Anyone else want Luigi's Mansion 4 to be set in a haunted castle/kingdom?

Hush

When's Mega Raichu?
With Halloween approaching, I have been thinking some about the next LM while playing LM3. And every time I play LM3, I'm reminded that despite being good the original just had a more appealing design for the game. The sequels wanted to break itself up into missions (LM2) and then stages or "floors" (LM3) but I really miss the interconnected feel that the original had. And I think a castle can recapture that "exploring a haunted mansion" idea the first game had but on a bigger scale, acting as a real successor to the original concept.

My idea for the story is that King Boo wants to establish "Boo Kingdom" by taking over one

That seems like a logical escalation, I think they’d either do something like that, or try to limit and refocus the scope to make something more akin to the first game. Either way I’m here for it.

I read kingdom and immediately thought open world Luigi's Mansion with each "dungeon" being a haunted house or building to conquer.

But that seems too ambitious a game tbh.

I don’t really want to be able to predict what LM will do next , I also loved the format of LM3 a lot , it allowed for some very fun variety and each floor was a treat to see what’s next while thematically fitting as a whole in terms of stuff i could see being in a hotel (mostly).

That seems like a logical escalation, I think they’d either do something like that, or try to limit and refocus the scope to make something more akin to the first game. Either way I’m here for it.

Yes, but at the same time they really need to amplify the scope. The castle should be big and intricate, but having something like "haunted portraits" that suck you into new locations (kind of like a reference to SM64 haha)

Make it take place in the RE2 police station

I counter that idea with it taking place in a Dead Rising-inspired mall lol. But castle would be ideal

haunted town in the mountains, like Alan Wake or some shit

Lky0UPM.png

As long as Luigi is tricked into staying somewhere infested with ghosts I'm happy.

Hey Luigi, you've won another contest you didn't enter. Enjoy a free night in this castle. Signed King Boo

how about Daisy taking Luigi on a vacation to a place that's actually haunted. would give Daisy some proper playable appearances and allows for co-op
As long as there's trickery involved I have no problem with it. Luigi's gullibility is all very cliché and that's part of the charm. I'd happily play as Daisy though.

Actually, I was really impressed with how we got a look at Mario as kind of a show off from Luigi's perspective in 3. I hope we get more of that kind of humour.

As long as there's trickery involved I have no problem with it. Luigi's gullibility is all very cliché and that's part of the charm. I'd happily play as Daisy though.

Actually, I was really impressed with how we got a look at Mario as kind of a show off from Luigi's perspective in 3. I hope we get more of that kind of humour.
the trickery isn't really needed. Luigi is charming if a bit of a doormat. that's why he pairs well with Daisy. he'd get dragged around by her which would give a similar effect as the trickery without making Luigi look dumb

how about Daisy taking Luigi on a vacation to a place that's actually haunted. would give Daisy some proper playable appearances and allows for co-op
I couldn't agree more with this! I've wanted something like this for a long time. Luigi and Daisy visit a castle that's haunted and they have to explore it together. Many shenanigans are had and ghosts captured. Good times. Is it out yet? I want this game now!

Yeah, for all I didn't like about LM2's structure, I did love how grounded each of the locations felt. Throw an open world or "in universe" transports between those and I'd be a happy camper– metroid style.

the trickery isn't really needed. Luigi is charming if a bit of a doormat. that's why he pairs well with Daisy. he'd get dragged around by her which would give a similar effect as the trickery without making Luigi look dumb
This is starting to sound like the story of my life.

With Halloween approaching, I have been thinking some about the next LM while playing LM3. And every time I play LM3, I'm reminded that despite being good the original just had a more appealing design for the game. The sequels wanted to break itself up into missions (LM2) and then stages or "floors" (LM3) but I really miss the interconnected feel that the original had. And I think a castle can recapture that "exploring a haunted mansion" idea the first game had but on a bigger scale, acting as a real successor to the original concept.

My idea for the story is that King Boo wants to establish "Boo Kingdom" by taking over one
It's been such a long time since I played the original (when the Gamecube released) so I don't remember very well, but I often hear about the fact that we were "exploring" the mansion.
Sure it was no Luigi Mansion 2 and its missions, but wasn't it also broken up into "stages", only with backtracking between them ?

Yeah, for all I didn't like about LM2's structure, I did love how grounded each of the locations felt. Throw an open world or "in universe" transports between those and I'd be a happy camper– metroid style.
😮

Daisy and Luigi's Camper Spoopy Van Adventure!

I liked the unexpected hotel in LM3 a lot so I don't even want to try to predict LM4's setting... but if I were in charge I'd basically make it Twin Peaks and really go to town on the references.

It's been such a long time since I played the original (when the Gamecube released) so I don't remember very well, but I often hear about the fact that we were "exploring" the mansion.
Sure it was no Luigi Mansion 2 and its missions, but wasn't it also broken up into "stages", only with backtracking between them ?
It was kind of broken up into stages. If I remember right, you would have a break to get new upgrades for the next boss, and that would let you capture new ghosts and clear out more rooms. So in a sense, you'd have what you need for a little bit, finish that part, get new stuff, and so forth.

So basically, yes, I believe you're right lol. In a way. Kind of. But yes.

It was kind of broken up into stages. If I remember right, you would have a break to get new upgrades for the next boss, and that would let you capture new ghosts and clear out more rooms. So in a sense, you'd have what you need for a little bit, finish that part, get new stuff, and so forth.

So basically, yes, I believe you're right lol. In a way. Kind of. But yes.
Very persuasive !
Coming from you, old man, I was hoping for a more "academic" answer 🧐

Last edited:
I agree that'd be cool and given the Smash Luigi's Mansion trailer (the Castlevania one), and the really cool Medieval stage in Luigi's Mansion 3, that's what I've thought should be next for a while now.

Whatever happens, I hope Luigi's Mansion 4 fully implements some of the RE inspiration the original hinted at.

Add me to the camp that wants the next game to take place in a village in the mountains. Heck, I've even come up with my own premise for such a game.

The Mario Bros get called in to investigate a mining village up in the mountains where the villagers are mysteriously disappearing. They arrive to find the village completely deserted. After a bit of investigating, Mario himself disappears, and it's up to Luigi to once again save the day. He'll investigate locations like the village itself, the mines, the spooky woods, a nearby carnival, a ski resort, a mansion (for old time's sake), finding shortcuts and hidden passages between each as unravels the mystery. He discovers that, once again, King Boo is behind this, having kidnapped the villagers to help him mine Ectonium, a mineral that enhances the powers of ghosts. Such is my pitch for Luigi's Mansion 4.

A haunted Island would also be cool.

Add me to the camp that wants the next game to take place in a village in the mountains. Heck, I've even come up with my own premise for such a game.

The Mario Bros get called in to investigate a mining village up in the mountains where the villagers are mysteriously disappearing. They arrive to find the village completely deserted. After a bit of investigating, Mario himself disappears, and it's up to Luigi to once again save the day. He'll investigate locations like the village itself, the mines, the spooky woods, a nearby carnival, a ski resort, a mansion (for old time's sake), finding shortcuts and hidden passages between each as unravels the mystery. He discovers that, once again, King Boo is behind this, having kidnapped the villagers to help him mine Ectonium, a mineral that enhances the powers of ghosts. Such is my pitch for Luigi's Mansion 4.

A haunted Island would also be cool.

"The Dark Souls of the series"

PS : please note that this is ironic and that I HATE this expression with a passion.
NB : I don't like From Software games either, sorry...

Last edited:
By murdering everyone and turning them into ghosts Boos. It's dark and deepens the Mario lore. I'm in.
I’d love for it to be set in a haunted island like that Scooby Doo movie tbh
Having just rewatched it a few days ago, I wouldn't be opposed to Matthew Lillard as Luigi if Charlie Day had scheduling conflicts.

Shagg-uigi
The plot twist at the end of the game; she knew it was haunted the entire time when she brought Luigi along, that's why she wanted to come. "Well, since you like ghosts so much and hang out with them, I thought you'd enjoy yourself here in your element!"

I liked the idea of a non-linear Luigis Mansion 4 with a setting on a small town like Alan Wake/Silent Hill. Maybe with a 3rd person (over shoulder) camera with full camera movement.

I think one of the biggest reasons I prefer 1's setting the most, beyond the fact that I just love a haunted mansion setting, is the art direction. In 1, everything has a more grounded feel. If you look at the dressers, the furniture, lamps, everything. Whereas in 2 and 3 NLG took things in a more cartoony direction (especially with the shape/proportions). Anyone else feel the same?

I would love a castle setting, OP, that's brilliant! I'd love it even more with 1's aesthetic...I could definitely see them wanting to go bigger area-wise with 4, and a kingdom could be a good excuse. Luigi receives an invitation to be king!

Compare this
KRlcjhX.png

StorageRoom.png

to this
tumblr_inline_pf0ra0Opee1rzo9sd_1280.png

I think my favorite theme of LM3 was the Boilerworks, which coincidentally is the location that made it feel the most like Resident Evil.

The series is in essence a family friendly RE, and that works in its favor. So my vote is for something more mechanical/ industrial.

Peach's Yacht sinks near a chain of islands in the South Pacific(or Mushroom World equivalent) where Luigi finds a creepy town and other oddities while looking for the other passengers. All the locations are connected by a huge underground government facility that's been abandoned for fifty years and is totally HAUNTED.

There's also a Mr. X/Nemesis knock-off(Gooigi X?) pestering the locals, that Professor E. Gadd is somehow connected to.

I always thought a mansion in the style of the one from the 90s Casper movie would be amazing. It's all whimsically crooked while remaining creepy, which is essentially what LM goes for. I'd also be up for a haunted seaside town or mining town with a dilapidated carnival.

Despite being "interconnected", 3 still felt really level-based. Each floor had a completely unique theme and there was essentially no interplay between them, or reason to ever go back. I'd love if they upped the scale and made something that feels really cohesive and requires you to make a mental map of things.

Haunted village or amusement park would be dope. Really go for that Scooby-Doo vibe. Or a cruise ship

I've had similar thoughts dating way back (Mansion 2 release at the very latest). A haunted castle just seems to aesthetically and thematically on point.
I have wanted this as well, ever since the Smash trailer with Simon Belmont had Luigi in a castle.
More recently, this definitely cemented the possibility as something that could actually happen.

Another thought I've had is to lean into the Ghostbusters elements: Pauline asks Luigi for a favor and -- surprise! -- there's a section of the city that is closed off because it is absolutely infested with ghosts!

Beyond that, everyone saying a mountain town is on to something.

The Mario Bros get called in to investigate a mining village up in the mountains where the villagers are mysteriously disappearing. They arrive to find the village completely deserted. [...]
Making it a mining town adds even more character and possible environments, yeah.

And it'd be kind of surprising if Nintendo never used a carnival setting.
There's also a Mr. X/Nemesis knock-off(Gooigi X?) pestering the locals, that Professor E. Gadd is somehow connected to.

That's Professor E. Goo to you.

I think one of the biggest reasons I prefer 1's setting the most, beyond the fact that I just love a haunted mansion setting, is the art direction. In 1, everything has a more grounded feel. If you look at the dressers, the furniture, lamps, everything. Whereas in 2 and 3 NLG took things in a more cartoony direction (especially with the shape/proportions). Anyone else feel the same?

I would love a castle setting, OP, that's brilliant! I'd love it even more with 1's aesthetic...I could definitely see them wanting to go bigger area-wise with 4, and a kingdom could be a good excuse. Luigi receives an invitation to be king!

Compare this
KRlcjhX.png

StorageRoom.png

to this

Yep, this is exactly how I feel. The art direction of LM1 feels a lot more captivating to me and pulls me in more, where it had a lot more spooky elements at play. Meanwhile, while I don't necessarily hate it in LM2 and LM3, I don't particularly feel the urge to replay either. I dusted off my Gamecube to replay the first game because I didn't want to play it on 3DS on such a tiny screen, and I still feel it holds up magnificently well in what it sets out to accomplish.

Get the gameplay and atmosphere of LM1 nailed with the grandiose nature and story telling of LM3, and you got something cooking

I want it set at Peach's Castle from Super Mario 64. There's paintings, but they all send you to different parts of Wet-Dry World. You get random Wario apparition, freemason architecture, pitched boo laughs, random black and white levels and weird sound effects. Embrace the horror!

Yep, this is exactly how I feel. The art direction of LM1 feels a lot more captivating to me and pulls me in more, where it had a lot more spooky elements at play. Meanwhile, while I don't necessarily hate it in LM2 and LM3, I don't particularly feel the urge to replay either. I dusted off my Gamecube to replay the first game because I didn't want to play it on 3DS on such a tiny screen, and I still feel it holds up magnificently well in what it sets out to accomplish.

Get the gameplay and atmosphere of LM1 nailed with the grandiose nature and story telling of LM3, and you got something cooking
I agree! I really like LM3 but the moment to moment doesn't come close to grabbing me like LM1. I never replay games but I would replay that one yearly if I didn't have to hook up my GC.

Also, lower lighting...so we can have some actually dark rooms.

Do y'all think we'll have it by 2023? I would even suggest 2022 if it wasn't already so stacked.
If it has a big mansion, a castle or a kingdom, it'll be different enough from 3, so I can see it coming for the Switch.

I need to play the one on Switch again, but yes! I'd love a haunted island setting instead of it just being in a mansion.

I agree! I really like LM3 but the moment to moment doesn't come close to grabbing me like LM1. I never replay games but I would replay that one yearly if I didn't have to hook up my GC.

Also, lower lighting...so we can have some actually dark rooms.
Dark hallways in LM1 with the upright string bass playing the melody is a whole ass vibe and nothing nearly as memorable came out of LM3, sorry not sorry

Do y'all think we'll have it by 2023? I would even suggest 2022 if it wasn't already so stacked.
If it has a big mansion, a castle or a kingdom, it'll be different enough from 3, so I can see it coming for the Switch.
I would be shocked if the Switch console itself got two LM games, but I could see LM4 leading the charge with an outright new Switch console if it's a proper successor.

Dark hallways in LM1 with the upright string bass playing the melody is a whole ass vibe and nothing nearly as memorable came out of LM3, sorry not sorry

I would be shocked if the Switch console itself got two LM games, but I could see LM4 leading the charge with an outright new Switch console if it's a proper successor.
If the DLSS model comes by holiday 2022 or early 2023, I can see it coming alongside other games in 2023 to be a graphical showcase of the enhanced model(say, Metroid Prime 4, new Mario Kart and Odyssey 2). Not launch titles, but in the first 12 months after the launch of the revision.

Compare this
KRlcjhX.png

StorageRoom.png

to this
Luigi's Mansion 3 does look incredible, but the more grounded feel of the original would be nice to return to, rather than furthering a more typical Mario aesthetic.
If the DLSS model comes by holiday 2022 or early 2023, I can see it coming alongside other games in 2023 to be a graphical showcase of the enhanced model(say, Metroid Prime 4, new Mario Kart and Odyssey 2). Not launch titles, but in the first 12 months after the launch of the revision.
It could return to its roots as a technical showcase, this time enhanced with Ghost Puppy.

Back
Top Bottom