• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Anyone else find it weird that the only modern video game console that you can’t watch The Super Mario Bros. Movie on is Nintendo Switch?

Derachi

Fresh Eater
Founder
Pronouns
he/him
You can buy the movie on Blu-Ray and play it on both an Xbox and Playstation. You can stream the movie to your Xbox or your Playstation.

There is no way to watch the Super Mario Bros. Movie on a Nintendo Switch.

Does anyone else find this weird? I was thinking about this in relation to the recent news that Nintendo turned down Epic’s offer to put Samus in Fortnite because they didn’t want their IP to appear on competitor’s platforms. And yet their movie isn’t on their own?

I’m just surprised they didn’t sell the movie on, I dunno, the eShop. Or like, a Switch cartridge, Bring back the idea of Game Boy Advance Video but on Switch and for this one movie.

I remember when you could download the Pikmin Short Movies on the Wii U... Though I do wonder how many legal hoops they'd have to jump through to put the Mario movie on the eShop... A cartridge that plays the movie sounds amazing, I don't even care for the movie that much but I'd buy that just for the novelty of it.

Give it some time, it should drop on Hulu in few years, like the most Universal movies do. IF Hulu survives for few years.

They should put it on Switch cartridge so you can watch the movie with Super Mario 64 visuals as an easter egg

IMG-3961.jpg
You can watch it in the YouTube app. I just confirmed. I own a digital copy that’s available in YouTube through Movies Anywhere.

I find it super weird how neither of Netflix, Amazon Prime or Max have a Switch version. It's just a no-brainer, and the console versatility as both a home console and handheld should make it the finest possible for streaming apps.

But yeah, not being able to stream even the Nintendo stuff on.... The Nintendo console is definitely the definition of odd.

It is pretty ironic. But also very Nintendo.

Not really because it’s a games console and also the movie sucks

I thought it was fun. Aside from a few unfitting licensed songs can't say much bothered me. There were other places with notable room for improvement but I think it was a decent start.

I did think it was pretty funny loading streaming apps on my PS4 and seeing an ad for the Mario movie.

It's because Nintendo has higher quality control on their consoles than Microsoft and Sony

I dont know if it is available in all countries, but you can buy/rent the Mario movie on YouTube and watch it through the YouTube app on Switch.

Not actually true you can buy the YouTube version through the app.

But yeah it’s funny but not a scandal. The Switch itself is made to be mainly a games machine, more than the Wii U even.

That's okay when I can watch The Larry Sanders show on the Switch.
not sure if it's still possible through the hulu app with hbo sub

Nintendo wants the Switch to just be a video game console. Their whole purpose was to move away from the old Wii U app strategy and just be about playing games now.

You can buy the movie on Blu-Ray and play it on both an Xbox and Playstation. You can stream the movie to your Xbox or your Playstation.

There is no way to watch the Super Mario Bros. Movie on a Nintendo Switch.

Does anyone else find this weird? I was thinking about this in relation to the recent news that Nintendo turned down Epic’s offer to put Samus in Fortnite because they didn’t want their IP to appear on competitor’s platforms. And yet their movie isn’t on their own?

I’m just surprised they didn’t sell the movie on, I dunno, the eShop. Or like, a Switch cartridge, Bring back the idea of Game Boy Advance Video but on Switch and for this one movie.
I think you are confused.
Nintendo doesn't want the association of their IPs applied to console games on other platforms than their own.
So for instance there were arcade games from Bandai Namco and Capcom which utilized Nintendo IPs (Mario Kart, Luigi's Mansion), smartphone apps published by Nintendo and the Pokemon IP appearing on Sega's edutainment platform (Sega Pico) but you will never see a console game like Super Mario Bros Wonder appearing on arcades, smartphones or really any other non-Nintendo platform.

That the Super Mario Bros movie has being played on a Xbox or on a computer or on a smartphone or smart TV for Nintendo is indifferent because Nintendo's core business isn't related to the control of the distribution of video content.

As for Nintendo consoles typically having less multimedia functions than competitiors that is a deliberate design choice and I don't think they are in the wrong.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom