• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Any Switch open word driving games?

Shawndroid

Cappy
Pronouns
He/him
My kid really likes just driving around cities and stuff. I'm looking for an open word driving game. On the PC I hear The Crew does this? And obvioulsy GTA lets you drive around forever.

They love Lego City Undercover, but a lot of it is locked, Go Vacation, Lego Worlds, Taxi Chaos (but it's only one city) and have started Lego 2K Drive...

We have Farming Simulator 2019 on computer and that is played a lot. Though it doesn't have some of the mods for cars or new maps as it's getting old. The Switch versions of Farming Simulator seem to be cut down ones, like the mobile games. (Even year FS games are full games with mod support, odd year are mobile games with smaller maps, fewer vehicals and more farming focus. My kid loves to get a car transport and deliver cars to people's homes on the map.)

Anyone know if the Farming Simulator games on the Switch are any good for non-farming driving?

But are there any cool open city games with lots of driving anyone can recommend? An open world or relatively free roaming in the early part of the game they might like? A big city, maybe driving. That sorta thing? (Looking up Taxi Chaos to make sure I got the name right my kid noticed Taxi Sim and wants that now. And the same compnay makes Real Driving Simulator, but I assume those games are more complex than we want.

I've seen trailers for that in some complitations. I wonder if it has many cities. Thanks.
So how it works it that you choose an area and in that area you can choose anothe sub-area. All of them are open world so you can do a variety of missions. IIRC the base game has 12 areas (4 for Michigan, Alaska and Russia) and there is DLC with more areas available

Now I'm looking at my budget for the week, looking at Burnout Paradise Remastered's price, and thinking, huh, that could be good fun.

Edit:
I already have it on Game Pass, whoops.

Burnout Paradise is incredible. I really miss 2000s open world driving games... A NFS Most Wanted 2005 remaster would be bliss but alas, it's EA.

NFS Hot Pursuit 2010 is also great, but the open world driving in that is secondary.

Your options pretty much start and end with Burnout Paradise honestly. It's an awesome game, includes the famed "Big Surf Island DLC" and anything else won't play nearly as smoothly as it on the Switch (both in terms of performance and gameplay due to no analogue triggers)

Great! I had written that down I see but yes, this seems exactly like what I was looking for. I appreciate that everyone!

This thread is reminding me that i sorely miss slower paced, realistic open world driving games.

Test Drive Unlimited and TDU2 would be such great releases on the Switch :/

On that note, Need for Speed Hot Pursuit has both an open world mode and closed races, it's basically a less chaotic Burnout with the attractive of real world cards. It gets on sale frequently, so i'd say it's worth a shot.

Play Lego City Undercover until you unlock the full map. My nephew has had a blast driving around and exploring.

Isn't Burnout Paradise 30 fps on the Switch? Racing games are a genre I would never recommend someone play in 30 fps.
It's 60 fps as far as i remember. The one that runs at 30 is Need for Speed.

And honestly, i think we should throw this "30 fps isn't a good framerate for X" to the gutter because what's really important isn't the framerate, but that the controls are fine tuned for the speed games runs at.

In fact, in the last Digital Foundry Retro John tacitly admits this with Road Rash, a racing series that, aside of a couple of entries, never ran at over 20 fps. One of the most lauded PS4 racing games ran at 30 fps, etc...

Hell, Sega made Virtua Racing feel good at... 14? fps on the Mega Drive, same with Nintendo and Starfox on SNES at 12 fps or less.

Of course, 60 fps IS better, but not being able to make a game of any genre feel good below that framerate is a failure on the developers' side.

When some of the most revolutionary, industry defining games, run at below 30 fps and are still considered some of the best games of all time, it really makes you think about the whole 60 fps or bust mentality.

Yes, even for racing games.

Isn't Burnout Paradise 30 fps on the Switch? Racing games are a genre I would never recommend someone play in 30 fps.
It's a locked 60 and it looks great. Kinda crazy how they pulled that off on X360 with all the streaming!

Only downside is that it's kinda shimmery at times as it uses dynamic resolution scaling without AA. Nothing too bad in my honest opinion. Have played it to death and wished we had more of it!

It's a locked 60 and it looks great. Kinda crazy how they pulled that off on X360 with all the streaming!

Only downside is that it's kinda shimmery at times as it uses dynamic resolution scaling without AA. Nothing too bad in my honest opinion. Have played it to death and wished we had more of it!
Not exactly locked, I remember some hiccups driving under a bridge at top speed, but it was just that, hiccups. Mostly 60 the whole way through.

Also, I find it very funny that this thread just instantly became "man Burnout Paradise is so good"

It's 60 fps as far as i remember. The one that runs at 30 is Need for Speed.

And honestly, i think we should throw this "30 fps isn't a good framerate for X" to the gutter because what's really important isn't the framerate, but that the controls are fine tuned for the speed games runs at.

In fact, in the last Digital Foundry Retro John tacitly admits this with Road Rash, a racing series that, aside of a couple of entries, never ran at over 20 fps. One of the most lauded PS4 racing games ran at 30 fps, etc...

Hell, Sega made Virtua Racing feel good at... 14? fps on the Mega Drive, same with Nintendo and Starfox on SNES at 12 fps or less.

Of course, 60 fps IS better, but not being able to make a game of any genre feel good below that framerate is a failure on the developers' side.

When some of the most revolutionary, industry defining games, run at below 30 fps and are still considered some of the best games of all time, it really makes you think about the whole 60 fps or bust mentality.

Yes, even for racing games.
Ah okay, I must have confused the two.

I would agree for the most part. For most games it depends whether the controls are designed for a specific performance. But genres like racing games and platformers, I've never felt that 30fps or less was "fine". Otherwise I don't care about framerates, as long as there are no drops.

Heck, I played old games in slow motion thanks to the PAL 50Hz.

In the end, this is just my personal opinion.

Too bad the series is dead and Criterion is stuck on NFS, I would love a new Burnout game.

There is this game Off the Road Unleashed. It is kinda mobile like game but well made. I think it would be good for a child. Burnout is great though.

If you have a PC or an Xbox, you can't do any better than Forza Horizon. That is also literally the game that fits your definition, but I understand if you don't want to get a new console for just 1 game.

Back
Top Bottom