• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion Andrew Wilson: “There is real hunger to use Generative AI to speed up game development among game developers”

Generative AI to make Dev's jobs easier and speed up the game making process: 'That's good'
Generative AI to cut corners and allow executives to slash jobs and try and make bugged games on the cheap: 'That's bad'
“But it comes with a free frozen yogurt, which I call Frogurt!”

“That’s good”

“The Frogurt is also AI generated”

“That’s bad”

Once again, I know creatives who were replaced by GenAI within the gaming industry. The monster is already here and decimating the ranks of creatives. They might not be in the bigger companies with games you are familiar with but it is here. In the mobile gaming industry. Among indies (met a couple myself before). The oft-experiment by executives in EA or Square-Enix trying to push the boundaries of acceptance.

Sure, you can argue that 'it is more efficient' but it won't stop there. Faster, Better, Cheaper in service for raising stock values is how we got into this capitalist mess in the first place. GenAI will help cut cost for sure. But the sad reality is that 'cutting cost' usually mean 'cutting jobs'. And creatives will bear the brunt of the industry cuts.

I think some people hear this and immediately think "AI images with 6 fingers and smudgy faces" or whatever, but it's a pretty broad thing that could be used in ways most of us probably aren't even considering. Something I have considered is that we're pretty used to certain types of procedural generation, but largely for things like natural landscapes. Be it entire planets in No Man's Sky or tools used to help "paint in" forests in games without having to put thought into every single tree. But I feel like it's only a matter of time until we start seeing more of this for "manmade" objects. Rather than a bunch of buildings that are impossible to enter, or a bunch of buildings that look like they came from the same prefab kit, a machine learning system can see "here are X number of interiors the designers have built, now I need to create Y more in these varying dimensions". Or, given an NPC with these specifications, create a believable living space for them.

AI animation systems to generate placeholder scenes is an easy win ... and gets the experience stood up fast and gets replaced anyway
There's a ton of uses that aren't malicious and eases the burden of development

Back
Top Bottom