• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Rumour An ex Virtous Games employee claims that a remake of Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion is in the works

Joy-Boy

Bob-omb
Take with a Cyrodil sized grain of salt.

Source is a deleted post on Reddit. A user claiming to be an ex Virtous Games employee (verified by the mods) is working on a remake or remaster of Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion, using a combination of Unreal Engine and Bethesda's own Creation Engine.

I vaugely remember that according to Todd the mod god Howard in an interview, the reason they never bothered with remasters of Morrowing and Oblivion before were that they were such big undertakings from an engine standpoint that it would be equivalent to remaking the entire game from scratch. Post Microsoft merger, now that it can be handed off to a different studio maybe it's finally time?

It's one of my favorite games of all time, so I would be remiss not to hope this true. I'm very curious how certian aspects will be handled, like the music. Bethesda and Oblivions composer Jeremy Soule have broken it off, but the music is so iconic I hope this more of a remaster so they straight up just reuse all the audio. Bethesda have also given their blessings to the fan mod remake Skyblivion, which is remaking Oblivion in Skyrims engine. Wonder if they can possibly get it out before this one does.

Would make a lot of sense, (especially from Microsoft's perspective), since Elder Scrolls 6 is probably 5+ years away.

An Oblivion Remake/Remaster was being shopped around for a while.
Interesting. Seems like they found a buyer.
The fact that Cyrodil never got as much focus as Morrowind in Elder Scrolls Online always made me feel like they had something cooking for Oblivion

Oblivion was one of the last genuinely good Bethesda games so the idea of a remake is exciting, I worry they'd ruin it though.

Interesting. Seems like they found a buyer.
The fact that Cyrodil never got as much focus as Morrowind in Elder Scrolls Online always made me feel like they had something cooking for Oblivion
Yeah, I never learned of where it landed but it had been pitched around for some time. When first hearing of it, I made it a fun prediction back in June 2022 for the Xbox Showcase.

They seriously need something Elder Scrolls related to drop especially if VI is as far off as Phil Spencer suggested. We are getting into crazy territory where people just need a reminder that the IP exists.

Yeah, I never learned of where it landed but it had been pitched around for some time. When first hearing of it, I made it a fun prediction back in June 2022 for the Xbox Showcase.
I remember that!
I wonder if it was still being shopped around in 2022, then the fact that this is aiming for 2024/2025 points to it being closer to a remaster rather than a ground up remake.

Remaster probably makes more sense anyways

Well shit, they finally thought of something that makes me consider getting an xbox

They seriously need something Elder Scrolls related to drop especially if VI is as far off as Phil Spencer suggested. We are getting into crazy territory where people just need a reminder that the IP exists.
They have ESO, but as far as a Single player ES game I agree.

Take with a Cyrodil sized grain of salt.

Source is a deleted post on Reddit. A user claiming to be an ex Virtous Games employee (verified by the mods) is working on a remake or remaster of Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion, using a combination of Unreal Engine and Bethesda's own Creation Engine.

I vaugely remember that according to Todd the mod god Howard in an interview, the reason they never bothered with remasters of Morrowing and Oblivion before were that they were such big undertakings from an engine standpoint that it would be equivalent to remaking the entire game from scratch. Post Microsoft merger, now that it can be handed off to a different studio maybe it's finally time?

It's one of my favorite games of all time, so I would be remiss not to hope this true. I'm very curious how certian aspects will be handled, like the music. Bethesda and Oblivions composer Jeremy Soule have broken it off, but the music is so iconic I hope this more of a remaster so they straight up just reuse all the audio. Bethesda have also given their blessings to the fan mod remake Skyblivion, which is remaking Oblivion in Skyrims engine. Wonder if they can possibly get it out before this one does.
I would love it if Microsoft/Bethesda went all Valve and officially supported or put some resources into helping out with the Skyblivion project. Oblivion is my favorite out of the Elder Scrolls series, graphically it has aged but I still find it fun to play.

I remember that!
I wonder if it was still being shopped around in 2022, then the fact that this is aiming for 2024/2025 points to it being closer to a remaster rather than a ground up remake.

Remaster probably makes more sense anyways
To my knowledge, the project had found a home by the time I made the prediction -- I simply wasn't aware of the studio securing the project. I'd speculate that they wanted a fairly quick turn-around on the release. Ironically, 2026 would be the 20th anniversary of the original Xbox 360 release; but releasing in 2025 could still be marketed as a 20th anniversary release, if that is the intent.

TES VI is that far out because it hasn't started development up until now that Starfield is wrapping up?

Like a Cyberpunk 2077 situation where they announced the game in 2012, hired staff to work on Witcher 3, and even pre-production of the game only started in 2016?

Because if it actually started development or pre-production in 2017 when it was announced... Then hell, it's gonna be the most expensive game ever when it comes if it's that late(like 2028+).

I know they claimed Starfield took 20 years but I think it must've been more of a situation like that of Metroid Dread in which they've had a vision/ideas/plan for a game but wouldn't start it until... Someone answer me when did actual development of Starfield begin?

Haha ok wow, I'm literally wtf right now. Games of that scale take time, but man, Skyrim feels like ages ago already.

True, but there has been 2x Fallouts and a massive space game forthcoming, they can only do so much concurrently. I think it is a given, if they're working on one IP, you're not going to see one of the other ones for a fair while.

Not unless Obsidian get pulled in again to do a spin off.

One of my favorite game ever, the last BGS game that truly made you "role play".

Skyrim was great and it wasn't anywhere near as deep as Oblivion.

Sure Morrowind was deeper (Daggerfall is the way better game anyway if you want to go the "deep, true RPG" road), but Oblivion was the perfect mix of serious role play and casual fun.

Haha ok wow, I'm literally wtf right now. Games of that scale take time, but man, Skyrim feels like ages ago already.
They work full prod on one game at a time. And Starfield isn't released yet, so yeah, TESVI still isn't in full prod, or barely.
With it releasing in one month, it probably is, but gotta take into account that right now they're also working on Starfield DLC and updates.

On the topic of ES games getting rereleased, I really wish that the Elder Scrolls Legends had released on Switch. I played through the story mode and the extra stories on PC and mobile and it was the most fun I have had with a card game since the Pokemon GBC TCG game.

Oh my word!
It's like watching a man slowly realizing that he is in some sort of simulation or experiment with a weird man that makes him repeat what he says all the time or make him doubt what he just says, it's fascinating.

Back
Top Bottom