• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Retro an E3 2003 demo build of Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga has been found and dumped.

Krvavi Abadas

Mr. Archivist
Pronouns
He/They
GBA-M%26L-E3_Cartridge-1.jpg

from a new preservation group known as "CodeBound", the source for the cart seems to be a collection from AlphaDream, who might have thrown out all of their development stuff after the studio shut down in 2019.
as the same group also released a prototype of Hamtaro: Rainbow Rescue a few days prior.

normally this build is locked to 3 specific moments of the game intended for demo purposes, but it's fairly easy to edit the "save files" and change the location to somewhere else. which shows a pretty solid chunk of the game is still left in the data. though the only parts that were (roughly) translated to English is the normally accessible content, with everything else still being in Japanese.

one notable find so far is that a few of the brothers sprites use an earlier version of their design, most notably featuring blue eyes.
M%26L_Earlysprites.png

which matches up with concept art that was shared by Isago Fukuda (credited as a "Sound Engineer" in this game, but he is noted as doing graphics for AlphaDream's first title Koto Battle: Tengai no Moribito) a while ago.
isa-happyfield-d1uyd30-c38ab7f1-7682-41a5-82d7-eba98c25efa5.jpg

isa-happyfield-d1uycus-2070ef75-664c-4800-b1c5-78920e04fd23.jpg

The art of Mario and Luigi with the soulless blue eyes is haunting.

IMG-0611.gif

The blue eyed sprites look good though. I get the change for consistency with the final art.

That placeholder Bowletta sprite looks so funny. She's so mad!

God, I have to say that even if I liked the improvements, I love so much more the GBA sprite artwork than the 3DS 3D graphics. It's just magical.

Back
Top Bottom