• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Alright, Xeno-Fami, which song? Engage the Enemy, Counterattack or Carrying the Weight of Life?

Which Xenoblade theme is your favorite?

• Engage the Enemy

Votes: 19 26.0%
  • Counterattack

Votes: 27 37.0%
  • Carrying the Weight of Life

Votes: 23 31.5%
  • Remastered Engage the Enemy

Votes: 4 5.5%
  • Counterattack Smash Remix

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

DecoReturns

Memento Mori
Note: (I am ignoring Xenoblade X due to not being the biggest fan of that game and don’t quite remember the music as much. No disrespect to the game itself, lots of highs, but wasn’t for me and a soundtrack I wasn’t fond of either. I haven’t played it in years and forgot a lot of it. Will definitely like to play a remaster if that happens)

If you’re a Xenoblade fan, then know to expect a killer soundtrack.

And in that killer soundtrack is that one song that usually plays in a pivotal moment in a cutscene.

And each Xeno game has “that” song.

Xenoblade 1: Engage the Enemy

Interesting enough, we have 2 tracks here. The original from the Wii version and switch remastered version. Fans had a little debate which is better when it released. Vocals were praised higher in the original. I think the remastered ends better.

Xenoblade 2: Counterattack.

Now here’s a track that plays frequently in Xenoblade 2. That game does have a lot of moments to use it was well. Arguably maybe too much usage. There’s also an another song in Xeno 2 that uses the counterattack like structure but different name. Also has, in my opinion, a underwhelming remix in Smash ultimate.

Xenoblade 3: Carrying the Weight of Life

Unlike pervious Xeno games. This track actually plays very very little in the main game lol. And one we didn’t actually get the full name until a few weeks ago. Personally my favorite of the 3 tracks, I think it has the strongest ending. And a shame it isn’t in the story more often, tho the scenes they appeared in are cool. And I saw it in Future Redeemed just recently. Pretty cool.

So, what’s your favorite? I like all 3 regardless of picking one. But for my taste. It’s Xeno’s 3 song.

damn this is hard, gotta give it to the original engage the enemy but ask me tomorrow and I might say counterattack

Gonna go with Engage the Enemy, but Counterattack comes close.

Weight of Life looses points for being criminally underused. There's several scenes that totally felt like they were supposed to have hype music playing, but then they just used some lame standard tense music instead.

If a three sided coin existed, this would be a coin flip for me. I like all three tracks a lot for different reasons. Guess I’ll abstain from voting.

All three are so incredible.

I think “Counterattack” might win it for me. Such a banger.

I love, love, love that “Carrying the Weight of Life” works in little bits of “Engage the Enemy” and “Counterattack” for a moment. Cool bit of the lore of the game leaking into song itself.

Reminds me of Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire’s “Primal Reversion” track that has a tiny bit of the GBA legendary theme (GBA sound quality and everything) in there that the song briefly “Primal Reverts” to.

I think Counterattack wins for me, but, and maybe this is a hot take: I'm not in love with any of them. They're perfectly fine songs, of course! But they're not the kinds of tracks that I love the Xenoblade soundtracks for.

Oh, friends.

I'm sorry. I know this is about the numbered system. I know it's not in the poll. I know I haven't played XC3, or even Future Connected, so I can't speak to this topic.

But I gotta think about what XCX track fits best, here

Carrying the Weight of Life > Engage the Enemy Remastered > Engage the Enemy > Counterattack >>>>>>>>> The Smash remix

Counterattack for me. Engage the enemy is good but I feel like it doesn't always fit the context of what's going on while it plays. Weight of Life is also great, but somewhat underutilized. Counterattack just gets me hyped every time. Smash version sucks though.

Counterattack for me. Engage the enemy is good but I feel like it doesn't always fit the context of what's going on while it plays. Weight of Life is also great, but somewhat underutilized. Counterattack just gets me hyped every time. Smash version sucks though.
Counterargument: Carrying the Weight of Life maybe underutilized, but in truth I don't think there are really that many scenes that deserved the full 4 plus minute version of this excellent score, so it's not this track's fault at all! Meanwhile both Engage the Enemy and Couterattack get spammed to death for every dramatic scene, so it's impact gets diminished a bit each time, especially for Engage the Enemy.

Compositionwise, I really prefer Carrying the Weigth of Life since Engage the Enemy can sometimes come off as a bit melodramatic in comparison, and Counterattack is purposfully "Anime Time!" in its delivery.

They’re all amazing to me, but Weight of Life is just godly. There’s a certain melancholy alongside the hype that the others just don’t have

1. Counterattack
2. Engage the enemy
3. Carrying the weight of life

All three classics.

Kinda weird to include the Smash arrangement of Counterattack when it wasn’t made for the same context as the others. It works great as a song in Smash, as it was made to be, but less so playing during a Xenoblade cutscene—but it never plays in that context, anyway, so that doesn’t really matter.

Anyway, I love all of them. If I had to rank them, though, it’d be:
The Weight of Life > Counterattack > Engage the Enemy (both versions)

The Weight of Life just barely beats Counterattack for me, and I love how it references both other songs. (Also where did the “Carrying” in the title come from? I thought it was officially revealed to be titled just “The Weight of Life” in official pre-release material?)

I think Weight of Life has the highest highs but is the weakest as a full song

"highest highs" ranking: Weight of Life>Engage the Enemy>Counterattack
"full song" ranking: Counterattack>Engage the Enemy>Weight of Life

I only really like the original Engage the Enemy, DE's vocals ruin it for me, don't really care much for 2's and 3's.

X doesn't really have an specific track for those kind of moments, whatever tracks are used for said sequences is peak music tho.

w4wtJq3NZ29WXktkgyr8DQ.png

Counterattack is sooo good, Weight of Life is a very close second, just wish it played one or two more times in the base game.

It's Carrying the Weight of Life for me. The flute coming in at the end takes it to the next level.

The Weight of Life just barely beats Counterattack for me, and I love how it references both other songs. (Also where did the “Carrying” in the title come from? I thought it was officially revealed to be titled just “The Weight of Life” in official pre-release material?)

The soundtrack list has it as carrying the weight of life.

You can see the entire listing (except for the disc which will have the dlc songs, which is still a secret) on the store page,

Counterattack wipes the floor with them, but they’re all great

The weight of life, wish it was used more in Xeno 3, if not that, Engage the enemy (original version, definitive edition is good too, but I feel this is one where the OG track is clearly better :p)

Engage the enemy is used the best in game, but Weight of life is the best song of the three. I voted weight of life cause in a vacuum it's the song I most want to listen to. All three are fantastic.

The soundtrack list has it as carrying the weight of life.

You can see the entire listing (except for the disc which will have the dlc songs, which is still a secret) on the store page,
Ah, okay, guess they changed the title between then and now for whatever reason.

Real answer:

The drop at 02:04 is the single most hype moment in any Xenoblade song

Peak Sawano except for his song naming conventions lol.

All three songs mentioned by OP are great though. I think overall for me its Carrying the Weight of Life, Counterattack and then Engage the Enemy. They're all so good though! There's really no wrong answer here.

Back
Top Bottom