• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion alright Nintendo gamers, it's time to propose rosters for the hypothetical Mario Kart crossover game ("Nintendo Kart")

Choose which would you prefer:

• Total voters
For the third party roster, I wouldn't be surprised if it's largely a mirror of the same roster we see in Smash Ultimate with some additions/subtractions, perhaps there were side clauses attached in the negotiations for those characters to be used in another Nintendo mash up franchise, would make sense especially if they already have a plan in mind. MK9 would have been in planning for a long time, even if its just by a few people while the rest of the team worked on ARMS and AC, given how long ago MK8 released.

For the first party roster, there would be a lot more flexibility obviously and characters may be featured based on games coming up on their respective franchises. Perhaps fewer alernates.

I do not think this is happening for lots of reasons.

• "Everyone" thinks its happening - a very Nintendo reason to not do it.
  • Nintendo is HIGHLY protective of anything that carries the "Mario" brand. I don't see Nintendo creating a Smash-like roster under a Mario game umbrella
  • I think it only devalues their third biggest franchise. Why would Nintendo do anything to make Smash seem less special?
  • I have more faith in Nintendo to come up with a hook that is more innovative/interesting then just try to jam more characters into the game

Do I expect some guest characters? Ya of course. Do I expect Smash Kart? No Way

I made this one few days ago, out of boredom;

MK9.png

Obviously, tried to keep a good chunk of Mario characters, so the game can still be called Mario Kart, despite going for the Nintendo crossover route; But either way, I kept mostly with EAD/EPD characters, with few exceptions (Kirby, Fire Emblem and Xenoblade);

Added some symbolic characters as well (Balloon Fighter because of Iwata, Excitebiker for being one of the first racing IPs Nintendo had, and Mr. Game & Watch for being the defacto pre-NES character.. also, would just be cool seeing him in a kart, like SNES Mario in Tour!)

Should also justify Krystal there... (I needed more women for the roster and I personally sneak any Rare characters if I have the chance)

EDIT: Also! I would purpose to ditch completely kart customization.. so each character get their unique vehicle, so you don't need to have Captain Falcon awkwardly fit in a Pipeframe Kart made for Mario characters! --Maybe the customization comes in new paintjobs and parts for that particular car, but no one can drive in someone's else kart.

Last edited:
business is business and mario kart is mario kart
keep mario's menagerie of plumbers and sidekicks. keep all that crossover out of my game. i'd rather have bone goomba in mario kart before fucking tingle

I hate this idea and how it's now inescapable when talking about the future of this series. I'm sure it's something Nintendo's thought of internally given the fan demand, so if they do it I just hope it's still largely a "Mario Kart" game in aesthetic and design.

The thing about a crossover is it wouldn't just be the characters. Mario Kart's art direction, track themes, item selection, and series staple elements (stuff like Lakitu as flag man) are all things they could change if they decide this isn't a Mario game anymore.

Keep it simple. 16 racers, each with a different special powerup.
  1. Mario (Powerup: Mega mushroom)
  2. Luigi (Powerup: whatever that jump mechanic is from LM3)
  3. Bowser (Powerup: Meowser charge)
  4. Peach (Powerup: Jump once at any time once you have the power, boosting you and potentially stealing items)
  5. Link (Powerup: Bombs)
  6. Zelda (Powerup: Blinding light)
  7. Samus (Powerup: Morph ball charge)
  8. Inkling (Powerup: Ink boost)
  9. Kirby (Powerup: Suck items from other players)
  10. Captain Falcon (Powerup: Flip attack, where you flip your cart onto another player to knock them out)
  11. Donkey Kong (Powerup: Slam three times to knock players away from you)
  12. Min-Min (Powerup: Extendable arms)
  13. Yoshi (Powerup: Eat other players)
  14. Olimar (Powerup: Spin attack with Pikmin)
  15. Shulk (Powerup: Sword)
  16. Secret unlockable: Fury Bowser (Powerup: Bowser shell)
Normal powerups would be the green, red, and blue shells, invincibility star, ghost, coin, bullet bill.

Keep it simple. 16 racers, each with a different special powerup.
  1. Mario (Powerup: Mega mushroom)
  2. Luigi (Powerup: whatever that jump mechanic is from LM3)
  3. Bowser (Powerup: Meowser charge)
  4. Peach (Powerup: Jump once at any time once you have the power, boosting you and potentially stealing items)
  5. Link (Powerup: Bombs)
  6. Zelda (Powerup: Blinding light)
  7. Samus (Powerup: Morph ball charge)
  8. Inkling (Powerup: Ink boost)
  9. Kirby (Powerup: Suck items from other players)
  10. Captain Falcon (Powerup: Flip attack, where you flip your cart onto another player to knock them out)
  11. Donkey Kong (Powerup: Slam three times to knock players away from you)
  12. Min-Min (Powerup: Extendable arms)
  13. Yoshi (Powerup: Eat other players)
  14. Olimar (Powerup: Spin attack with Pikmin)
  15. Shulk (Powerup: Sword)
  16. Secret unlockable: Fury Bowser (Powerup: Bowser shell)
Normal powerups would be the green, red, and blue shells, invincibility star, ghost, coin, bullet bill.
I know you famously think it's a niche series, but Animal Crossing not returning would be weird

I don’t really want “Nintendo Kart” and I never really have. I actually want less characters. We don’t need all the babies, all the metal characters, or every single Koopaling. Keep it simple.

I don’t really want “Nintendo Kart” and I never really have. I actually want less characters. We don’t need all the babies, all the metal characters, or every single Koopaling. Keep it simple.
what're you gonna do though, put in two koopalings

Alex Roivas' special is making every other racer hallucinate being in first but they're really driving off of the road or into walls.

So here's my proposed roster changes - first of all, I'd get rid of the crossed out characters. Babies suck, and the variants of Mario, Peach and Bowser are pointless. Koopalings were on the edge but they're at least different enough.

ck2eqPB.png

So now we have to replace them. Let's start with some decent characters who were in older games but fell off the roster (I say decent so that rules out Funky Kong and ROB)

Diddy Kong
Birdo
Petey Piranha
Wiggler
Honey Queen

We're obviously going to need some newbies now, characters who have appeared in Mario-universe games but haven't made it into this series yet

Pauline
Professor E. Gadd (Luigi's Mansion)
Captain Toad
Poochy (Yoshi)
Nabbit
Kamek
Wart

I'd keep the guest characters (Link stays in by a hair's breadth), and I would only add two more - Olimar and Kirby - as they fit the aesthetic of Mario Kart much more than any other main character in Nintendo's series.

And then there's a couple of wildcard picks - let's go with Mona from WarioWare (she already rides a bike-like vehicle in the a few of the games in the series) and then something completely out there. Sure, why not - cartoon Lewis Hamilton. They already had Merc promos karts for the first game after all.

incidentally, I had cut metals, koopalings, and most babies in earlier versions but was told while tinkering with the idea that the babies are popular in Japan. no clue if that's true or not

the others, meanwhile, seem easier to make

So here's my proposed roster changes - first of all, I'd get rid of the crossed out characters. Babies suck, and the variants of Mario, Peach and Bowser are pointless. Koopalings were on the edge but they're at least different enough.

ck2eqPB.png

So now we have to replace them. Let's start with some decent characters who were in older games but fell off the roster (I say decent so that rules out Funky Kong and ROB)

Diddy Kong
Birdo
Petey Piranha
Wiggler
Honey Queen

We're obviously going to need some newbies now, characters who have appeared in Mario-universe games but haven't made it into this series yet

Pauline
Professor E. Gadd (Luigi's Mansion)
Captain Toad
Poochy (Yoshi)
Nabbit
Kamek
Wart

I'd keep the guest characters (Link stays in by a hair's breadth), and I would only add two more - Olimar and Kirby - as they fit the aesthetic of Mario Kart much more than any other main character in Nintendo's series.

And then there's a couple of wildcard picks - let's go with Mona from WarioWare (she already rides a bike-like vehicle in the a few of the games in the series) and then something completely out there. Sure, why not - cartoon Lewis Hamilton. They already had Merc promos karts for the first game after all.
I like everything about this, except for keeping the Koopalings. Get rid of them.

And gimme Mario-ified Lewis Hamilton. That’s an amazing idea.

I like everything about this, except for keeping the Koopalings. Get rid of them.

And gimme Mario-ified Lewis Hamilton. That’s an amazing idea.
Yeah, I can take or leave them. Nothing against them personally but I wouldn't be unhappy to see them go if they were nixxed.

If each character isn't going to have a unique powerup, what's the point in cutting any at all? What's the point in cutting the babies or koopalings?
well there are a few things

even without powerups more characters are of course more work. I've retained the filler because I assume they're easier

but I imagine most feel that a smaller roster is better, because it's more streamlined and such

If each character isn't going to have a unique powerup, what's the point in cutting any at all? What's the point in cutting the babies or koopalings?
I hate the babies as they're baby versions of characters who already exist in the game. I know, it's a silly cartoon karting game, it's not meant to be realistic, but it's really stupid. Why is Mario racing a baby version of himself?

I mean cutting characters due to unique items doesn't even make much sense given that Mario Kart has already done this for it's cast with Double Dash and Tour. Baby Mario and Baby Luigi for example already have a unique item in the Chain Chomp.

Thinking that Mario Kart will drop guest characters after MK8 went on to become the best selling game in the series is kinda like thinking Smash Bros is dropping third party characters at this point

If we were to keep the game strictly Mario themed, I have no problem with babies (aside of Baby Rosalina, which is pushing it...); Yoshi's Island is a big Mario adjacent franchise and Baby Mario, at very least, is symbolic, without mentioning fun for the silliness of having him around his adult self.

And the Koopalings, of course, they also all deserve to be in the roster; They are mainline Mario characters and before they made up characters for spinoffs (Waluigi, for example), they are the kind of pulls I wished happened more for this kind of game.

--- With all that said, Metal characters are lame no matter how you slice it (or Power Up characters in general like Tanooki Mario and Cat Peach). At least give us Robo Mario from Arcade GP!

I want Kiddy Kong to be the only new roster addition in MK9.

Mario Kart Warriors: Musou Racing
Featuring Groose

Thinking that Mario Kart will drop guest characters after MK8 went on to become the best selling game in the series is kinda like thinking Smash Bros is dropping third party characters at this point

Thinking the handful of guest characters had any meaningful effect on the sales of Mario kart 8 on the switch is ... Misplaced, at any rate.

I don't doubt there will be a handful and that villager, inklings, link will probably return in some capacity, but equally, I very much doubt they expand it much past that.

Guest characters and cameos in mario kart wasn't a 8 invention either though. I shan't be standing for this ROB erasure.

I really don't think going apeshit with Nintendo characters in Mario Kart makes sense. MK fans groaning because there's another anime swordfighter in their racing game is the last thing I need to hear or read.

But I think pushing and reintegrating more DK characters in the new MK game onward would be bananas. Funky Kong would pollute online for sure.

Thinking the handful of guest characters had any meaningful effect on the sales of Mario kart 8 on the switch is ... Misplaced, at any rate.
1st: It certainly didn't hurt them, obviously people don't care that much about the sanctity of Mario Kart being violated by a handful of guests

2nd: I didn't even make this argument anyway, my point is more "why would Nintendo drop a popular aspect from their most successful Mario Kart to date"

And really this isn't the thread for it but I disagree with the notion that guest characters don't generate some extra attention. Yeah Link and the inklings didn't generate 40+ million sales. But they helped more than Doctor Goomba Tower would have.

He is so lame that I totally forgot him.

But this started in Double Dash.
it's time to accept that the kongs are just part of the greater mario universe and always have been. diddy shows up on a lot of mario merch whenever they feel like it

Here's my list :
12 characters unlocked from the beginning :
Mario / Luigi / Peach / Yoshi / Toad / Donkey Kong / Koopa / Bowser / Wario / Daisy / Waluigi / Maskass.

18 characters from the Mario universe who already appeared in Mario Kart 8DX:
Toadette / Rosalina / (Baby Mario + Luigi + Peach + Daisy + Rosalina) / Roi Boo / Lakitu / Bowser JR / Skelerex / Skelet Bowser / (Koopalings x 6).

7 returning characters from the Mario universe who already appeared in a Mario Kart (but not 8DX) :
Diddy Kong / Funky Kong / Para-Troopa / Birdo / Pirahna Plant / ROB / Queen Bee.

3 new characters from the Mario universe who never appeared in a Mario Kart (not counting Tour) :
Pauline / Lubba / Dixie Kong.

4 characters who are not the from the Mario universe and who already appeared in MK8DX :
Link / Villager / Isabelle / Inklings (counted as one but both are available).

6 new characters who are not from the Mario universe :
Zelda / Pikachu / Kirby / Waddle Dee / Fox / Olimar.

Which gives us 50 characters, including :
  • 34 returning from 8DX.
  • 7 returning from MK7 or before
  • 9 new characters
+ Mii = 51.

All characters or almost have different skins like colors for Yoshi, Sjy Guy, Toad, or even costumes or materials (like Metal Mario)/ That's basically my vision for the next Nintendo Kart game.

Last edited:
And really this isn't the thread for it but I disagree with the notion that guest characters don't generate some extra attention. Yeah Link and the inklings didn't generate 40+ million sales. But they helped more than Doctor Goomba Tower would have.
I don't think the guests in 8D were that big of a deal either but to be fair to you Link and an Inkling are in fact on the box

I don't doubt there will be a handful and that villager, inklings, link will probably return in some capacity, but equally, I very much doubt they expand it much past that.

Guest characters and cameos in mario kart wasn't a 8 invention either though. I shan't be standing for this ROB erasure.

At this point, increasing the number by 1 is all Mario Kart needs to generate stellar sales. Adding more guest characters can only help IMO. I think an announcement trailer showing major guest characters would be a big deal and generate a lot of hype. Especially if they work in fan-servicey vehicles and courses. I'd love to see Metroid, Kirby and Pikmin tracks.

It doesn't have to be the main focus, I'm not arguing for a full "Nintendo Kart" conversion. I'm guessing at least half the roster will still be Mario characters. And for tracks, I think 50/25/25 original/retro/guest tracks seems fair.

Here's my list :

3 new characters from the Mario universe who never appeared in a Mario Kart (not counting Tour) :

6 new characters who are not from the Mario universe :
Zelda / Pikachu / Kirby / Waddle Dee / Fox / Olimar.

Pauline is basically a shoo-in. Totally forgot about her!

And no Samus or Captain Falcon? :cry:

Let's do it!!
- All characters from Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, except Pink Gold Peach, Tanooki Mario, Cat Peach, and maybe remove some koopalings.
  • Plessie
  • Birdo
  • Professor E Gadd
- Captain Toad
- Cappy and Tiara
- PAULINE PLEASE!!
  • King K Rool
  • Dixie Kong
- Link
  • Zelda
  • Samus
  • Zero Suit Samus
  • Kirby
  • Fox
  • Captain Falcon
- Isabelle
- Villager
  • Inklings
  • Twintelle

Darkened the ones I think are actually likely to happen.

The more I think about it, the more I'd like to see skins instead of certain characters taking full character slots. It would work like Yoshi's palette swap.

Mario: Metal Mario, Tanooki Mario, Dr Mario, Paper Mario
Luigi: Gooigi
Peach: Cat Peach
Bowser: Dry Bowser
Toad: Captain Toad
Samus: Gravity, Fusion,
Metroid Suit
Koopalings: All of them as skins
Inklings: Boy/Girl
Villager: Boy/Girl
Link: BOTW, Dark Link
Zelda: BOTW, Sheik

Babies will be their own characters since they are light weight and control differently. And if a character doesn't have a logical skin, they wouldn't need to include anything. I don't think they need to go full-on Smash and include palette swaps for everyone.

I expect a few guests, again, but I honestly don't expect nor care about the game being a crossover. I fully agree with keeping it simple.

As far as I'm concerned, you could start with what Tour's roster had (minus the costume alts, which I expect will be DLC later), add in the likes of Wart, Mouser, Captain Syrup, Ashley and K. Rool, and that would be more than enough to make me pleased as punch.

And no, I'm not about to cosign with anybody who wants to get rid of the Koopalings. Roy and Morton are not only two of my fave chars, they're my mains~!

I just don’t see a future where they release a game called “Nintendo Kart”
"Nintendo Kart" is in quotes but I really should've said i.e.; I don't think it would be called that either

If they were to go the Mario-only characters route, I'd keep it the same as 8DX, but get rid of all the babies, all the Pink Gold Metal blah blah characters, and combine all the Koopalings into one (just make them alt costumes). Then bring in the missing characters from prior games like Diddy, Birdo, etc., and add characters like Kamek, Pom Pom, Tiny and Dixie Kong, K. Rool, and a few other Mario/DK/Yoshi characters.

Now, if they went the Nintendo Kart route, here's what I would propose as a realistic middle ground between main characters and fan favorites:

Super Mario
  • Mario
  • Peach
  • Bowser
  • Rosalina
Donkey Kong Country
  • Donkey Kong
  • King K Rool
  • Diddy Kong
  • Tiny/Dixie Kong (partners that swap places)
Yoshi
  • Yoshi
  • Birdo
Wario Ware/Land
  • Wario
  • Captain Syrup
Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
  • Captain Toad
  • Toadette
Animal Crossing
  • Isabelle
  • Tom Nook
Kirby
  • Kirby
  • Meta Knight
Star Fox
  • Fox McCloud
  • Krystal (riding atop Tricky)
Metroid
  • Samus
  • Kraid (if Ridley wasn't too big for Smash, Kraid's not too big for Kart)
Splatoon
  • Inkling
  • Octoling
F-Zero
  • Captain Falcon
  • Samurai Goroh
Kid Icarus
  • Pit
  • Medusa
Pikmin
  • Captain Olimar
  • A Kart full of Pikmin that alternate for abilities/attack (like Double Dash)
Zelda
  • Link
  • Midna (riding atop Wolf Link)
ARMS
  • Min Min
  • Twintelle
Xenoblade:
  • Shulk
  • Rex
Retro
  • ROB the Robot
  • Doshin the Giant

I tried to keep it to just two racers per IP, but gave Mario and DK some extras because well, it's primarily based on Mario Kart, after all. Various Mario subseries also kind of pad that out a bit. I also figure this would be the starting roster, so they could do DLC or seasonal updates with new characters to pad out the various lineups.

One thing I really don't want to see is for Mario Kart to do what 8DX did and continue to feature guest characters. Keep it all Mario or do a full-fledged crossover. I don't want to see really great Mario characters get ignored because people want Link or Isabelle as permanent fixtures of Mario Kart.

Likewise, if they do a Nintendo Kart, I do not want to see any third party reps. I don't want this to turn into another Smash where this exhaustive hype narrative forms around what ridiculously unlikely third party rep will get in there, and this online debate forms around Nintendo reps not being worthy enough compared to Dante or Goku or something. Let third parties keep their Wreck-It-Ralphs and their Danica Patricks to their own racing crossovers, and let Nintendo focus on broader representation of their own IP.

I think the series should still be predominantly Mario focused, so there are some gaps to be filled in that extended universe I think. I've bolded characters who were not in 8.

Mario (with Metal and Racoon as skins)
Luigi
Peach (with Pink Gold and Cat as skins)
Daisy
Rosalina
Pauline
Cappy/Tiara with New Donk Citizen

Yoshi (with additional colours)
Birdo
Toad (with additional colours)
Toadette
Koopa
Dry Bones
Shy Guy
Lakitu
King Boo (based off his Luigi's Mansion look)
E.Gadd
Baby Mario
Baby Luigi
Wario
Mona
Captain Syrup

Waluigi
Donkey Kong
Diddy Kong
Dixie Kong
Funky Kong
King K. Rool

Bowser (with Dry Bowser as a skin)
Bowser Jr.
Larry
Lemmy
Wendy
Ludwig
Iggy
Roy
Morton
Kamek
Honey Queen
Wiggler

Nintendo Cameos

R.O.B.

Inkling Girl/Boy
Link (+ BOTW skin)
Zelda (+ BOTW skin)
Villager (Male + Female)
Isabelle
Kirby
Fox McCloud
Samus (with Zero Suit variant)
Captain Falcon

DLC Bait

Sonic
Crash Bandicoot

It's an exceptionally unrealistic list, even just considering the Mario-verse inclusions. It's a fair bit of work, and that's not even including tracks, skins, music etc. But hey, might as well go big.

it's probably actually important to note that pauline and dixie being in tour (which borrows a lot of assets from MK8, including character models) probably means they've got HD assets sitting around waiting to be put into a new game

king bob-omb, nabbit, pauline, diddy, dixie, funky, kamek, birdo, monty mole and the hammer bros all have a pretty good odds of getting into the next mario kart assuming they don't scrap the existing HD models

Back
Top Bottom