• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Aliens: Dark Descent looks like it might be great

big lantern ghost

cantstandya
Pronouns
he/him

One of the things I like about not having as much time to play or read about games is that I am genuinely surprised by them pretty often, instead of knowing about them five years in advance. It’s great!

The latest example is Aliens: Dark Descent, a game I didn’t even know existed until YouTube served me the gameplay trailer this morning. This was doubly surprising because not only does it look potentially great, I love Alien! I couldn’t believe I hadn’t caught a whiff of this game before.

You control a squad of four, inching your way through a moon base where your ship has crash landed. As you might expect, it looks like some androids and Weyland-Yutani mercs and a xenomorph are there too! You sweep for resources, weld doors shut to create defensive positions, set up That Turret and let it rip…Alien stuff! Crucially, engaging with the xenomorph seems legitimately dangerous and spooky. You can light stuff on fire to keep it at bay, of course, and we all know that fire looks cool. Between missions you upgrade your squad. Missions apparently take 20 minutes to an hour ish.

It kind of struck me as a mix of XCOM and Desperados, but all in real-time which…yes?!

It’s out on June 20 for $30 USD / $40 CAD. I think I saw a couple little pre-order bonuses on the store page too. The whole “will there ever be a good Alien game” thing has long since been put to bed — if Infestation didn’t do it for you, surely Isolation did — but hey. I will take another! Fingers crossed for this one.

Last edited:
Yeah it does, I’m hoping it comes to Switch at some point as I’m more likely to play this type of game handheld than on the TV

You're right, it does kinda remind you of Alien Swarm. Not a bad framework to base an Aliens game on.
Definitely! Alien Swarm was a lot of fun, so if this is just Alien Swarm but even more polished, it bodes well for the game :)

I feel like Alien Swarm is a lot more of a shooter than this appears to be, but the perspective and sci fi installation aesthetic definitely compare.

Looks good. Budget price as well on Steam. Might be a good game for Deck.

I feel like I can’t help but root for a game that comes out around this price point. We need more of them!

This looks great. The squad-based RTS gameplay reminds me more of Warhammer 40k Dark Dawn II actually.

why do they keep making films about Aliens when the best film of the franchise is Alien. That's why the only great alien game is isolation lol.

Back
Top Bottom