• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Ahead of Tears of the Kingdom, let's talk about sky games and sky levels

HockeyBird

Villager
Pronouns
He/Him
The sky. We dream of living there but haven't found a way to just yet. Probably for good reason because it sounds very uncomfortable. But regardless, the sky has been a popular setting in many videogames. If you want to create a world with a sense of majesty and magic, just put some floating rocks up in the clouds. In Tears of the Kingdom, we'll be returning to the skies above Hyrule once again (if you haven't heard). So I thought it would be a fun time to talk about sky games and sky levels. Zelda has its own fair share of sky locals that I won't go over myself here because I want to talk about other games. I'm sure others will bring them up. But for me, I'll kick things off with

Xenoblade 2:
qOwFxgFkMbiFWf1M.jpg:large

Is Xenoblade 2 a sky game? Well the game takes place in the Cloud Sea. However, the clouds here are dense enough to swim and float in and below the cloud surface is a deep ocean. But below that...well that gets into spoilers. Despite the weird characteristics of the clouds, I think it's safe to assume that setting to the game takes place very high up so I think it qualifies. This shot here is of the Lefterian Archipelago, the most sky looking place in the game and one of my favorite locations in the series. It definitely gives you a sense that you are high up in the clouds.

Bioshock Infinite:
bioshock-infinite_0.png

The setting for Bioshock Infinite is Columbia. America's most racist and cult loving people (and that's saying a lot) have taken to the skies and built their own city in the clouds. I know, truly a horrifying thought. I had my complaints about Infinite but I will say that the setting and architecture here is one of my favorite aspects. You really do get a sense of being high up and the game even uses its floating islands concept to good use in story and gameplay.

Chrono Trigger:
chrono-trigger-screenshot.jpg

The Kingdom of Zeal. Probably one of the most recognizable sky areas to people on this forum. If you're an advance civilization, then you live in floating islands took look down upon everyone else. Out of Chrono Trigger's many memorable locations, the Kingdom of Zeal is probably one of the most memorable and a pivotal setting for the plot. Lots of shit goes down here.

Super Smash Bros:
Wiiusmashbrosscrns0117-copyjpg-30b89a_640w.jpg

What is more Smash Bros than a platform floating in the air? Super Smash Bros is the king of the skies in the fighting genre. What is this place? Who built these structures? I don't know. But it's the perfect place for contest where the goal is throw you enemy off.

So there is a small sample of the many sky games out there? What sky games would you like to talk about? I'm sure there are some Sega fans out there who have at least one they really want to gush about.

Well, to tie it back to Zelda, city in the sky from Twilight Princess was a baller dungeon

City_in_the_Sky.jpg

And the boss in Minish Cap's palace of winds was one of the best in the entire series

legend-of-zelda-minish-cap.gif

Skies of Arcadia is one of my favorite JRPGs.

giphy-5.gif

Def recommend playing it on GameCube over Dreamcast for the tweaked encounter rate and extra content!

Falling off most sky levels means the player dies or is reset to where they were before they fell. It's amazing that this isn't the case with TotK.

Kingdom of Zeal
THE quintessential sky island civilization in video games. Such a great location.

nd the boss in Minish Cap's palace of winds was one of the best in the entire series

Hell yes, freaking amazing boss to cap off one of the best dungeons in the franchise

I'm also gonna give a shout out to Driftland: The Magic Revival. Pretty relaxing RTS/god game about building up your own floating island civilization.

I'm not a big sky level person I think, often it's too abstract of a concept to do anything super interesting with, but...

I will never forget how mindblowing it was to start world 5 of Super Mario Bros. 3 and think "oh, another grass world:"

hqdefault.jpg

Then to climb the tower, and suddenly...

hqdefault.jpg

I think I trend towards sky areas that feel like actual places and not just clouds and platforms in the sky. Like...

Well, to tie it back to Zelda, city in the sky from Twilight Princess was a baller dungeon

City_in_the_Sky.jpg

And the boss in Minish Cap's palace of winds was one of the best in the entire series

These. City In The Sky was such a cool concept and moving around with two Clawshots like Spider-Man was incredibly fun. I need to finish my TP replay just to experience this dungeon.

Last edited:
Can't forget Air Man stage:

Also Baten Kaitos happens in the sky, and there ir a castle in clouds. Totally recommended now that the HD version is coming

Was going to write something but basically everything I wanted to mention has been mentioned - City in the Sky, Bioshock Infinite, Minish Cap's wind palace..

But most of all, Gravity Rush 2. What a spectacular experience it is to just exist in that world. I still pull up that game at times and have a soar through the sky and just imagine how powerful that feeling will translate in TotK.

Skies of Arcadia to me still has that quintessential feeling of freedom that I associate with sky levels/ floating island design. The continuous upgrades to your ship to chart new parts of the sky is just pure bliss.

Skies of Arcadia is one of my favorite JRPGs.

giphy-5.gif

Def recommend playing it on GameCube over Dreamcast for the tweaked encounter rate and extra content!
This is the one that really sticks in my memory, exploring the sky, finding new islands, fighting off pirates. Moonstone cannon, fire!

This thread neglecting the OG Skyloft:

SSHD_Skyloft.png

Otherwise, gotta hand my favourite sky game to the Cloud Sea in the OP. I have my issues with XBC2 like many, but the setting and worldbuilding was not one of them.

SMB3 and SMG2 which were mentionned already were my first thought !
I immediately think of platformer games when I think of sky because sky, cloud, makes us think "big holes, not a lot of platforms, very dangerous" so we immediately think of tense platforming action.

But I didn't thought of some other stuff like, yeah, obviously Xenoblade 2 is a big sky game ! Same for Skies of Arcadia ! And I never thought of Smash Bros as one, such a fun thing to consider it as a sky game lol

I'm not a big sky level person I think, often it's too abstract of a concept to do anything super interesting with, but...

I will never forget how mindblowing it was to start world 5 of Super Mario Bros. 3 and think "oh, another grass world:"

hqdefault.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

I think I trend towards sky areas that feel like actual places and not just clouds and platforms in the sky. Like...

These. City In The Sky was such a cool concept and moving around with two Clawshots like Spider-Man was incredibly fun. I need to finish my TP replay just to experience this dungeon.

Missed this earlier, but SMB3 is also a very good pick imho.

hqdefault.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

I played SMB3 for the first time as an adult and this still blew my damn mind. What an amazing little twist. The music in the sky area helps to make it really memorable.

There's not really any one specific sky area in it, but flying around in Xenoblade X remains one of my favorite things to do in basically any game ever.

When I think of sky games the first one that comes to mind is Nostalgia for the DS. A very obscure rpg that I really enjoyed.

Nostalgio.jpg

Great game with a cool cast that are memorable. It kinda glorifies the age of exploration (stereotypes,etc.), but you visit a ton of locales and do sky fight (in addition to regular rpg fights).
nostalgia%20airship.jpg

I really love cloud cuckooland from Banjo Tooie, it felt like a dream compared to the other levels on the game. also the music is fantastic
Cloud_Cuckooland_view.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

hqdefault.jpg
Yeah that was a cool thing. At first I was like "small world"! And the tower level alone was really cool!

I always have a soft spot for Mr. Nutz (SNES / Genesis) cloud level. It's a world with only one level and boss contrary to the previous ones. The music is pretty good and damn it, the graphics are gorgeous.

Clouds (by Raphael Gesqua) :

maxresdefault.jpg

Another short sky level I really like is the Worm Land from Super Turrican 2 (I know, I'm still working on that review, take this as a bonus preview ^^). This is a very short level (and even shorter sequence in the sky because after that you're jumping on giant worms to get to the exit) but again, the soundtrak is great, the level is very fun and there's a nice secret 1-Up to find :

Wormland (by Chris Huelsbeck) :

841318775.jpg

Back
Top Bottom