• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion After TotK Switch line up, waiting for next gen console

Eclissi

Moblin
So, today we were told that the new Nintendo console isn't coming any time soon.

How many months, from June onwards, do you think Nintendo will have to guarantee periodic releases in order not to lose momentum while waiting for the next console?
How many games will be needed and of what relevance?
Besides Code Rain, Decapolice and Pikmin 4, what can be announced?
Will Metroid Prime 4 be the swan song of Switch or a graphic showcase of the next gen?

You have the word!

I think we will get more than most people expect. They might not be flagship games (new 3D Mario, that kind of thing) but I think they will keep the software coming for a while, especially now that hardware sales have slowed down.

I think the second half is going to be pretty stacked, even if it's a lot of ports/rereleases. There absolutely will be at least a couple brand new games, even if they aren't S tier titles.

I think we will get more than most people expect. They might not be flagship games (new 3D Mario, that kind of thing) but I think they will keep the software coming for a while, especially now that hardware sales have slowed down.
We must also consider that every game that comes out in the next few months will be one less arrow in the coffin of the launch of the next gen ...

Anyone thinking Nintendo's release slate is going to be empty when we've had 6 retail titles and one massive expansion that could easily have been one by next Friday, isn't thinking hard enough.

Tbh I wouldn’t mind a final year of HD remasters and ports from Ninty to keep the system ticking over.

I don't think they can hit their hardware target of 15 million in the current fiscal year with only the stuff they have announced so far + remasters and smaller titles. I'd be very surprised if they did.

We'll get something, but the something we'll get has to fall in the fairly narrow category of being a hype enough title to carry the holidays, but not something worth holding back until the next system. So core niche titles and casual evergreens

I'm thinking Metroid Prime 4 and either 2D Mario or DK as the remaining headliners for the Switch (leaning towards Mario)

I think we’ll see an EPD Mario title in November, Prime 4 in October.

That just leaves two titles in August and September to fill for the rest of 2023. Good place to drop some filler like GC remasters, the rumored FE remake title, Uprising remake, or the DLC drops for MK, Zelda, Splatoon 3, and Pikmin 4.

2024 depends entirely on when the new hardware is going out the door. January is usually light and doesn’t need anything, Feb and March can pull from the filler pool. Beyond that 🤷‍♂️

There's plenty of new non remaster/remake/port collection games on the horizon for me on Switch that I want to play like

Trails Into Reverie
Nayuta Boundless Trails
Pikmin 4
DecaPolice
Disney Illusion Island
Sea of Stars
Fantasy Life i
Professor Layton The New World of Steam
Super Bomberman R 2
Hollow Knight Silksong
Lego 2K Drive
Rain Code
Oxenfree 2
Bomb Rush Cyberfunk
Blasphemous 2
Metal Slug Tactics
Disgaea 7
Mina the Hollower
Eiuden Chronicle
Metroid Prime 4

Then when you bring in those remakes/remasters/port collections there is plenty for me to play on my Switch between now and whenever the successor launches. The above is all that's confirmed right now, we'll surely see a lot more between now and whenever in 2024+ the next Switch launches. This isn't even talking about of the backlog of games I haven't gotten around to playing yet.

If you can't find things of interest on Switch (in a hypothetical where it's your only option for new games) it's honestly user error at this point.

imo they won't slow down at all. most likely the games on switch 2 will also be playable on switch 1 for the first few years anyway, no reason to.

So, today we were told that the new Nintendo console isn't coming any time soon.

How many months, from June onwards, do you think Nintendo will have to guarantee periodic releases in order not to lose momentum while waiting for the next console?
How many games will be needed and of what relevance?
Besides Code Rain, Decapolice and Pikmin 4, what can be announced?
Will Metroid Prime 4 be the swan song of Switch or a graphic showcase of the next gen?

You have the word!
I'm not worried. The twilight years of a successful Nintendo console are incredible. Nintendo usually focuses on "smaller" franchises and/or experimental games. It helps that they can just recycle the engine/assets of existing games. Just look at the 3DS. We got Samus Returns, WarioWare Gold, Miitopia, the remake of an obscure Fire Emblem, a Pikmin spin-off, and Ever Oasis.

Yeah, we won't see a new Zelda, nor Odyssey 2. But DK and 2D Mario are on the table. I'm also expecting to see Rhythm Heaven, Tomodachi, FE4 remake, an experimental Kirby game, maybe a new Detective Club or Shin Onigashima/Yuyuki collection, or even a new 2D Metroid.

Even without taking Metroid Prime 4 into account, I'm sure there will be plenty of good games to play.

If TotK delivers, which I think it will - 2023 is going to be peak Switch for me, it has some of my favorite game series coming so it's just sublime.
And let's be honest here.. the next console isnt far off. No need to panic.

I cant see it slip out of 2024 at the latest and that's only a year and a half away - at worst. I've got enough great games to play from what is announced to keep me rollin until that and there's plenty of good stuff yet to be announced. Switch will be my most played console this year to.

My current forecast on games I wanna play-
New Stuff 23-24
TotK
Silk Song
Pikmin 4
Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes
Steamworld Build
Sea of Stars
Decapolice
Trinity Trigger
Metroid Prime 4 (yeah it's not releasing later than next year)
Professory Layton and the New World of Steam
Earthblade
Remasters
Suikoden 1+2 HD Remaster
Baten Kaitos 1+2 HD
Ghost Trick

Somewhat recent games from my backlog I have yet to play:
XC3 - Future Redeemed
Theatrhythm Final Bar Line
Chained Echoes

Let's assume Nikkei are correct, and there's no new hardware until next April at the very earliest; Nintendo would obviously know about that, and would plan accordingly. I'm going to assume new hardware launches by the end of June 2024; because I honestly think it becomes much more difficult to guess at what they'd do the further you get into 2024 and the further away new hardware is. The more titles come to Switch before new hardware launches, the fewer early software options there are for Nintendo once the successor is out. They have to strike a careful balance.

Taking that assumption as my basis, I see no reason to assume Nintendo would divert from the pace of software they've maintained over the years on Switch, and I'd expect a similar number of releases this fiscal year as the last (12). Currently, the fiscal year has 3 first-party releases:

April - Advance Wars 1&2 Reboot Camp (WayForward)
May - Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom (EPD 3)
July - Pikmin 4 (EPD 10)

We've got a lengthy list of rumoured and potential titles, which I'll hide in this spoiler box, listed through confirmed titles, titles suggested by hiring calls, rumoured titles, some franchises/developers which haven't had a (recent) title but seem plausible to me, and a remaining handful of Wii U ports.

Detective Pikachu (Creatures Inc)
Metroid Prime 4 (Retro Studios)

EPD 8 3D game (Super Mario)
EPD 10 2D game (Super Mario)
EPD 8 2D game (Donkey Kong?)
Grezzo new fantasy game (might be self-published and not a Nintendo project)
Bandai-Namco remaster of a Nintendo action game
Good-Feel new projects (potential self-published adventure game; further Nintendo-contracted title - Yoshi? Wario Land?)
Monolith Soft action game (status of this is unclear)

1-2 Switch sequel (EPD 4; potentially canned)
Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door remaster
F Zero GX remaster
Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War remake

EPD 9 new game
NdCube new game
Indieszero new game
Star Fox (references in Switch Sports files)
Tomodachi
Rhythm Heaven
Takahisa Taura's next game (Astral Chain sequel plz)

Xenoblade Chronicles X
Zelda: Wind Waker HD
Zelda: Twilight Princess HD
Yoshi's Woolly World
NES Remix

As you can see, it's actually pretty easy to come up with a fairly extensive list of potential games, but only some of these are likely. I think there's a good chance a number of these happen over the next 2 to 3 years, but at this point I'm assuming the next 3D Mario, plus the next games from teams like Next Level, Monolith Soft, and EPD 9 are targeting new hardware. Some of the in development projects may well launch on both systems, too; but that means those games are likely off the table until new hardware is out, because I imagine they launch together on Switch and the next system. Nintendo supported 3DS into early 2019 with relatively low scale titles; given how much stronger Switch is as a hardware and software market, it won't surprise me to see Switch receiving a handful of Nintendo titles into 2026 and perhaps even 2027.

But, 2023-24 is probably the last fiscal year we see Nintendo maintain the regular pace we've become accustomed too. That narrows our options some, so my guess is the fiscal year looks something like this:

April: Advance Wars Reboot Camp (WayForward)
May: Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom (EPD 3)
July: Pikmin 4 (EPD 10); Splatoon 3 Side Order DLC (EPD 5)
August: Mario Kart Wave 5 (EPD 9)
September: Paper Mario TTYD remaster (Intelligent Systems?); Dragon Quest III 2D-HD (published by Nintendo outside Japan as a timed exclusive); Pokémon DLC 1
October: Animal Crossing: Party Plaza (NdCube)
November: New Super Mario World (EPD 10); Zelda DLC
December: Rhythm Heaven (indies zero x EPD); Pokémon DLC 2; Mario Kart Wave 6
January: F ZERO GX HD (Tantalus?)
February: Detective Pikachu (Creatures Inc)
March: Metroid Prime 4 (Retro Studios)

That's 11 titles for the fiscal year, with 3 of them remasters, and 1 of them a third-party title published by Nintendo internationally. It'd represent a slight slowdown versus the previous fiscal year, though there's still genre and franchise variety, and DLC for various high profile games comes along too. And we've still got 16 or 17 potential options in our candidates list, which either don't happen at all, happen as games for the successor, or happen as cross-gen titles once the successor is out.

Let's assume Nikkei are correct, and there's no new hardware until next April at the very earliest; Nintendo would obviously know about that, and would plan accordingly. I'm going to assume new hardware launches by the end of June 2024; because I honestly think it becomes much more difficult to guess at what they'd do the further you get into 2024 and the further away new hardware is. The more titles come to Switch before new hardware launches, the fewer early software options there are for Nintendo once the successor is out. They have to strike a careful balance.

Taking that assumption as my basis, I see no reason to assume Nintendo would divert from the pace of software they've maintained over the years on Switch, and I'd expect a similar number of releases this fiscal year as the last (12). Currently, the fiscal year has 3 first-party releases:

April - Advance Wars 1&2 Reboot Camp (WayForward)
May - Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom (EPD 3)
July - Pikmin 4 (EPD 10)

We've got a lengthy list of rumoured and potential titles, which I'll hide in this spoiler box, listed through confirmed titles, titles suggested by hiring calls, rumoured titles, some franchises/developers which haven't had a (recent) title but seem plausible to me, and a remaining handful of Wii U ports.

Detective Pikachu (Creatures Inc)
Metroid Prime 4 (Retro Studios)

EPD 8 3D game (Super Mario)
EPD 10 2D game (Super Mario)
EPD 8 2D game (Donkey Kong?)
Grezzo new fantasy game (might be self-published and not a Nintendo project)
Bandai-Namco remaster of a Nintendo action game
Good-Feel new projects (potential self-published adventure game; further Nintendo-contracted title - Yoshi? Wario Land?)
Monolith Soft action game (status of this is unclear)

1-2 Switch sequel (EPD 4; potentially canned)
Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door remaster
F Zero GX remaster
Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War remake

EPD 9 new game
NdCube new game
Indieszero new game
Star Fox (references in Switch Sports files)
Tomodachi
Rhythm Heaven
Takahisa Taura's next game (Astral Chain sequel plz)

Xenoblade Chronicles X
Zelda: Wind Waker HD
Zelda: Twilight Princess HD
Yoshi's Woolly World
NES Remix

As you can see, it's actually pretty easy to come up with a fairly extensive list of potential games, but only some of these are likely. I think there's a good chance a number of these happen over the next 2 to 3 years, but at this point I'm assuming the next 3D Mario, plus the next games from teams like Next Level, Monolith Soft, and EPD 9 are targeting new hardware. Some of the in development projects may well launch on both systems, too; but that means those games are likely off the table until new hardware is out, because I imagine they launch together on Switch and the next system. Nintendo supported 3DS into early 2019 with relatively low scale titles; given how much stronger Switch is as a hardware and software market, it won't surprise me to see Switch receiving a handful of Nintendo titles into 2026 and perhaps even 2027.

But, 2023-24 is probably the last fiscal year we see Nintendo maintain the regular pace we've become accustomed too. That narrows our options some, so my guess is the fiscal year looks something like this:

September: Paper Mario TTYD remaster (Intelligent Systems?); Dragon Quest III 2D-HD (published by Nintendo outside Japan as a timed exclusive); Pokémon DLC 1

That's 11 titles for the fiscal year, with 3 of them remasters, and 1 of them a third-party title published by Nintendo internationally. It'd represent a slight slowdown versus the previous fiscal year, though there's still genre and franchise variety, and DLC for various high profile games comes along too. And we've still got 16 or 17 potential options in our candidates list, which either don't happen at all, happen as games for the successor, or happen as cross-gen titles once the successor is out.
This is the kind of answer I was looking for.
Seems like a pretty weak line up to me though.
Furthermore, the release of MP4, which would be a perfect Switch2 showcase, on the old console a few months after the arrival of the new one, would seem strange to me.

Furthermore, the release of MP4, which would be a perfect Switch2 showcase, on the old console a few months after the arrival of the new one, would seem strange to me.

It can still get a graphics/performance update on Switch 2, I don't think it's out of the question, especially if the game is ready well before the launch of the next system.

If Nintendo is really not releasing a new console, they must have the most crazy lineup ever. It doesn’t make sense to have a huge installed base of consumers and not try to squeeze as much money as possible. If they have a so so lineup, it just means they will have a horrible transition as always.

I expect a lot of Remasters and Ports.

My personal candidates are:

Kid Icarus Uprising
Metroid Prime 2 Echoes
Metroid Prime 3 Corruption
Paper Mario TTYD
Zelda Wind Waker
Zelda Skyward Sword
Golden Sun
Fire Emblem Tellius Saga

Besides the ports, maybe Nintendo will announce some view new games. Whatever they will be. Something Mario (Party/ Baseball) or DK would be a good guess. Maaaybe one more thing that will surprise us like Wave Race.

A 12 month period with new Zelda, Pikmin, Mario and Metroid as the spine would be pretty strong as far as I see it, and pretty good to my personal tastes, especially considering we're talking about year 7 of the system.

I don't necessarily think Nintendo need to save a game that has always been intended for Switch for new hardware; not when Switch has such a huge install base. I expect 3D Mario, Mario Kart, and more are going to be the early tentpoles for a new system. Maybe a new IP and whatever Takahisa Taura is working on at Platinum, too.

I expect at least another, Engage and TTOK themed Musou

If Nintendo releases the Switch successor in 2024, it would make sense for there to be a half-year or so stretch with no “major” 1P games during the transition, similar to pretty much every other Nintendo console transition period. “Smaller” games (in terms of selling power) like Pikmin and Metroid would help to pad out this period.

That said, I do expect Nintendo to have a holiday title to push for 2023 - maybe 2D Mario?

I like how you think.

That said, I'm annoyed you think we'd get a second attempt at Animal Crossing Party (let alone Wii Party 3) over a new Mario Party game. But you're absolutely right that we're due for a NdCube title.

I like how you think.

That said, I'm annoyed you think we'd get a second attempt at Animal Crossing Party (let alone Wii Party 3) over a new Mario Party game. But you're absolutely right that we're due for a NdCube title.
I think, with 2 Mario Party titles on Switch and new hardware probably in 2024, there's no need to get another one out just yet. Late 2024 or even 2025 as a cross-gen title would make a lot of sense, especially given how strong a seller Mario Party has been on Switch.

3 to 4 years after New Horizons feels about time for a spin-off. Happy Home Designer, Welcome Amiibo, Amiibo Festival and Pocket Camp all released in the interval between New Leaf and New Horizons, and so far there's been nothing since the Happy Home Paradise expansion. It's too soon for anything mainline, and EPD5 presumably target new hardware for the next mainline game anyway (maybe in what, 2026? 2027? Hopefully sooner!). For an IP as huge as Animal Crossing is, I think Nintendo would want to give it some more exposure and to see if they can capitalise on that massive audience. Plus, now they've rolled the Happy Home stuff into the mainline game, it can't be used as a spin-off.

I'm predicting a party game but an AC spinoff doesn't need to be that. I'd like it more if EPD and NdCube came up with something really fun and interesting; whatever makes sense for the series, really.

Edit - I really like @Raccoon's idea of a remake of Animal Forest, given how different New Horizons is to the original quirky life sim. I'd go for a remake rather than a remaster, maybe with some new content that adds things like mini-games and deeper events on top of the original emphasis on getting to know the villagers, but don't integrate the crafting elements. They could even simply call it Animal Forest outside Japan.

Last edited:
Of course Nintendo has unannounced Switch games. If they didn’t have anything this holiday season they wouldn’t be releasing TotK in May.

Nintendo always seems to have more “big guns” than people realize. Just because 3D Mario is probably in the works for Switch 2 (which is, of course, an assumption) doesn’t mean they can’t absolutely clean up this holiday season with 2D Mario. A new Nd Cube game could do huge numbers too.

Rain Code from Spike Chunsoft would've really benefited by stronger hardware. All screenshots look quite low resolution so far.

We still have a good few outstanding Wii U ports that they could fall back on in the run up until Switch 2's release...

Nintendo Land (unlikely)
Game & Wario (unlikely)
The Wind Waker HD
Sonic Lost World
Wii Sports Club (unlikely, given that we already have Switch Sports)
NES Remix 1 & 2
Dr Luigi
Pushmo World
Kirby & The Rainbow Curse (not gonna happen unless Nintendo package a stylus in every box... which isn't impossible!)
Mario Party 10
Mario Vs DK Tipping Stars
Xenoblade Chronicles X
Yoshi's Woolly World
Animal Crossing Amiibo Festival
Twilight Princess HD
Star Fox Zero (unlikely)
Star Fox Guard (unlikely)
Paper Mario Color Splash

If they decided to port them all, they could have one game a month for the next 18 months... pretty much the exact length of time from now until November 2024 (when Switch 2 is probably going to be released).

And that's not even getting into the various GCN and Wii remasters that they could commission as well.

There's plenty more quick n' easy releases in the tank to keep them going while their internal developers quit making Switch games and move over to Switch 2 development.

Last edited:
We’re already into port and remake territory with Metroid and Kirby this year, so I think we’ll mainly see more of that with a few surprises.

Unless they already have plans for Zelda WW / TP on new hardware, they may as well release ports of those around Christmas. TOTK will likely still be selling well and getting plaudits from GOTY lists etc so strike while the iron is hot and sell more Zelda!

If the new hardware truly is BC it’d be interesting to know Nintendo’s thought process on some of the potential ports. Are there some games they can touch up more than usual and justify being exclusive to the new hardware, or do they just decide to release them beforehand knowing they’ll still sell well on switch, with a potential boost in sales with people wanting to buy software for their new console (if new hardware doesn’t have a massive amount of launch exclusives).

I think we’ll get a few more third party games from studios that still develop for switch - hopefully something Ace Attorney from Capcom.

Reading this thread has made me realise even though 2024 is looking more and more likely for hardware this really is the final stretch! Exciting.

Luigi's Mansion 4?
Astral Chain 2?
Another 2D Zelda remake (probably 2024 and not same year with TotK)?

To be honest I’d be perfectly happy with the third party slate for the remainder of the Switch’s life, let alone whatever Nintendo have yet to announce.

Ys X
Professor Layton & The New World of Steam
Fantasy Life
Sea of stars
Hollow Knight: Silksong
DQX offline
The last faith
Mandragora
9 years of shadows
Sacrifire
Crowsworn
Mina the Hollower
Warhammer 40k Boltgun
The Plucky Squire
Eiyuden Chronicle
Sanabi
Last Moon
Hunt the Night

On top of that, there’s loads of remasters/remakes I’m interested in, that I can’t wait to play on switch. Some I haven’t played before, some are all-time favourites of mine that I haven’t played in years-
Dragon Quest III 2DHD
Front Mission 2/3
Suikoden 1/2 remaster
Ys: Oath in Felghana
R-Type Tactics I/II
Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes
Etrian Odyssey trilogy
Ghost Trick
(The last five combined are all in my top ten DS games that I’m stoked to see remastered on Switch).

Even if Nintendo or anyone else released nothing between TotK and whatever their next console is, between the above upcoming stuff and my huge wishlist I’m not going to be short of anything to play for a very long time.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom