• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Advice on small tv (32 inch) vs monitor (Update: Bought and satisified with Samsung 32inch smart monitor)

• Thread starter Deleted member 2670
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2670

No dour stuff here, just tv things

Why the in fuq am I asking you all why I should buy a tv or a monitor?

Well, I happen to be a very particular person display wise. I've never had a small tv I liked. I've never had a computer monitor that uses VA that I've like and would never get a TN monitor. My laptop had to be matte and IPS, full stop. Glossy displays are instant deal breakers. Curved displays are fucking trash, never getting one and certainly not at the sizes I'm thinking.

So.....

-Semi glossy at most
-IPS/VA only
-No curves
-1080p or 4k
-Would like to not use speakers/my tv tuner box, which is why i'm considering a tv

What is it going to do???? Well....

-Catch broadcast tv (No joke, I have a HDTV to HDMI converter)
-Display PS4 games
-Occasional display for my weak gaming laptop (yes most of my game collection runs on my nvidia MX350 laptop thank you very much lol)

How big should it be???? 32 inches. No more no less.

How much $$ up to $500 (although I doubt I'll need to spend close that)

I would get a monitor, any of the tvs that small/cheap are not going to be good imo. Plenty of monitors with inbuilt speakers

24/27/32 inch are the ideal gaming monitor sizes. Anything higher would make sense to buy a tv, but with 32, you'd still be better off getting a monitor. Also one day you might get a PS5, or better laptop, and it will be nice future proofing yourself with a high refresh rate monitor.

And I'm guessing you probably don't care, but passive bookshelf speakers will sound significantly better than any built in speaker you might find. So at least for me, having built in speakers is a weird deal breaker lol.

24/27/32 inch are the ideal gaming monitor sizes. Anything higher would make sense to buy a tv, but with 32, you'd still be better off getting a monitor. Also one day you might get a PS5, or better laptop, and it will be nice future proofing yourself with a high refresh rate monitor.

And I'm guessing you probably don't care, but passive bookshelf speakers will sound significantly better than any built in speaker you might find. So at least for me, having built in speakers is a weird deal breaker lol.
I have a pair of decent bookshelf shelf speakers, (or at least half way decent)

Just ain't enough room for a 32 inch display and what surface I'm putting it one.

Plus, its rare when I even have them plugged in. I mostly just use no sound or headphones.

Couldn't give a fuq about high refresh and by the time I get a PS5 (ahem xbox series x/s thank you very much) I'll have moved up in the world to a bigger place.

I found this : https://www.microcenter.com/product...0-32-full-hd-(1920-x-1080)-60hz-smart-monitor $199 1

I'm going to take a look see at it this weekend.

Other candidates;

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsun...ull-hd-smart-tizen-tv/6202106.p?skuId=6202106 1080p TV $229

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsun...4k-uhd-smart-tizen-tv/6465202.p?skuId=6465202 4k TV $500

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsun...itor-hdmi-usb-c-black/6437811.p?skuId=6437811 4k smart monitor $375

I prefer a monitor, but that's just because I mostly play games on my display and monitors are way better for input lag.

Go for a monitor. Better image quality overall. Most 32" TVs nowadays are cheap low end TVs. Get yourself a good 32" monitor with a nice i/o

I've pretty much ruled out tv.

So, now it a choice of monitors....

Samsung M5 32inch - 1080p, 60hz, VA, built in speakers and a whole bunch of features
Samsung M7 32inch - 4k and then the same
An IPS 32 inch 1080p monitor
Just save money and stick with my Dell 2410U monitor.

I have nothing that can drive 4k and a PS5 or XB whatever are a long way off and PC gaming is whatever I can play with my nvidia MX350 and thats it for the rest of my life lol. (PC gaming is dead to me bc of cost)

I'm gonna write a follow up on Sat/Sun/Monday once I get what I'm getting.

I've pretty much ruled out tv.

So, now it a choice of monitors....

Samsung M5 32inch - 1080p, 60hz, VA, built in speakers and a whole bunch of features
Samsung M7 32inch - 4k and then the same
An IPS 32 inch 1080p monitor
Just save money and stick with my Dell 2410U monitor.

I have nothing that can drive 4k and a PS5 or XB whatever are a long way off and PC gaming is whatever I can play with my nvidia MX350 and thats it for the rest of my life lol. (PC gaming is dead to me bc of cost)

I'm gonna write a follow up on Sat/Sun/Monday once I get what I'm getting.
You could always keep your current monitor and just get a cheap Series S if money is a worry especially if they got on sale for $250 again. Then just roll with gamepass.

You could always keep your current monitor and just get a cheap Series S if money is a worry especially if they got on sale for $250 again. Then just roll with gamepass.

The thought did cross my mind. (I've got gamepass on my laptop as it is and I've been overwhelmed for two years with it. )

However, I went with the Samsung M5 32inch smart monitor.

So... impressions:

Display quality: Its fine, reminds me of a 32inch 1080p tv, 60hz VA panel that handles 1080p and 720p (big for me bc my PS3 is my GOAT console) Colors are slightly duller than my old Dell, contrast far better, response time similar if slightly worse. Really enjoying the increased immersion from the larger size and playing around a bit with the limited HDR10 support. Response time is fine, no better or worse than the old dell (which had input lag of 30ms)

Package overall: Build quality isn't great, stand is only ok, remote is good, preset picture settings are annoying, oversharpened with bogus "high contrast modes" that had to be killed quickly, game with HDMI cable (that was way on the short side...) I'm still learning the ropes of the software and I'll be diving more into the 'smart' features later on.

Back
Top Bottom