• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion Ace Attorney & The Great Ace Attorney appreciation thread

What's your favourite Ace Attorney subseries/trilogy?

• Ace Attorney 1-3

Votes: 32 46.4%
  • Ace Attorney 4-6

Votes: 5 7.2%
  • Ace Attorney Investigations

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • The Great Ace Attorney

Votes: 27 39.1%
  • Professor Layton vs Ace Attorney

Votes: 2 2.9%

• Total voters
I’m on AA1 for the first time and really liking it so far, I’m on day 3 of the third case.

But I looked it up on how long to beat out of curiosity and it says 18 hours?!

My switch says I’ve only played “2 hours or more” of the game?? Where is the disconnect? I’ve messed up some times and definitely examine every possibility and stall on pressing so I don’t think I’m rushing through the game….

Are the last two cases like three times longer than the first three combined or something lol? Or maybe I’m a fast reader

I’m on AA1 for the first time and really liking it so far, I’m on day 3 of the third case.

My switch says I’ve only played “2 hours or more” of the game?? Where is the disconnect? I’ve messed up some times and definitely examine every possibility and stall on pressing so I don’t think I’m rushing through the game….

Are the last two cases like three times longer than the first three combined or something lol? Or maybe I’m a fast reader
The final two cases* are longer, yes, but 2+ hours also seems short for the point you've reached.

For a point of reference, two separate Youtube walkthroughs of the second case clock it in at two hours by itself.

*The fifth case you'll encounter in AA1 was added when the game was ported to the DS. It's the longest case in the series (but also one of my favourites!).

Day 3 of the third case in less than three hours...? You playing in the hyperbolic time chamber or something?

The final two cases* are longer, yes, but 2+ hours also seems short for the point you've reached.

For a point of reference, two separate Youtube walkthroughs of the second case clock it in at two hours by itself.

*The fifth case you'll encounter in AA1 was added when the game was ported to the DS. It's the longest case in the series (but also one of my favourites!).
Day 3 of the third case in less than three hours...? You playing in the hyperbolic time chamber or something?
Okay I just checked and it says “played for 4 hours or more”! Maybe that’s less weird for where I am, but still compared to the 18 I’m like what?!

(they really need to improve the switch game timer btw)

Okay I just checked and it says “played for 4 hours or more”! Maybe that’s less weird for where I am, but still compared to the 18 I’m like what?!

(they really need to improve the switch game timer btw)
Still fast, but yeah like the other poster mentioned, the last two cases are the longest. The fifth one in particular is like half the game or something

Currently at case 4 from the first Great Ace Attorney, really liking the game.

“Mr Sholmes, what are you doing there!”

Just finished the first trilogy. Really really great experience. The last case was insane (the pendulum, the twins, all the channeling) but I still loved it for how it felt like a conclusion to the entire trilogy that you could only appreciate by playing the whole thing.

Port the second trilogy capcom I need it!

Just finished the first trilogy. Really really great experience. The last case was insane (the pendulum, the twins, all the channeling) but I still loved it for how it felt like a conclusion to the entire trilogy that you could only appreciate by playing the whole thing.
yeah, i really love the third game's ending because it brings the three games together in such a satisfying way. it's an amazing conclusion to the trilogy.

Hear me out. What about a Professor Layton vs Ace Attorney sequel?
But this time, featuring Katrielle Layton against Apollo Justice.
I have been waiting for a sequel to that game. Flawed it may be, I freaking loved it. Shame about Level 5 though.

Hear me out. What about a Professor Layton vs Ace Attorney sequel?
But this time, featuring Katrielle Layton against Apollo Justice.

Haha, oh dear, just thinking about how badly that would sell is giving me a migrane.

In terms of another Layton VS AA sequel, I'd be there immediately, but I'm not sure what ground there is they could cover that wasn't already done with the first game.

Port the second trilogy capcom I need it!

Have you played TGAA yet? That's where it's at, the second trilogy isn't nearly as good as the first one (although I love 4, but it's divisive).

I started GAA at long last (although it’s currently on pause for Guardians of the Galaxy), and while it’s great to be back in a new-for-me AA game, the fact that Capcom hasn’t implemented faster text display. Either the text prints out painfully slow or I’ve got to constantly mash a button and go back through the log if I accidentally skip something. In a game without full voice acting, let alone full cinematography, it’s absurd to limit the on-screen text to an imagined spoken cadence. This is a widespread problem in the visual novel/adventure industry, so I don’t mean to single Capcom out, but come on.

I just finished GAA1 and I loved it. New gameplay systems are a lot of fun and made the game feel quite fresh.

The story was also great and it has a lot of sequel bait... so I should just start Resolve soon.

I just finished GAA1 and I loved it. New gameplay systems are a lot of fun and made the game feel quite fresh.

The story was also great and it has a lot of sequel bait... so I should just start Resolve soon.
Just prepare yourself for a crazy, emotional and amazing twisty story. It's amazing.

PLvsAA characters too!!

I love this image, and I love that they remembered the PLvsAA characters too. I know that game has its detractors but I still really enjoyed it.

The Payne’s both being on the wrong sides is a nice touch too.

I love this image, and I love that they remembered the PLvsAA characters too. I know that game has its detractors but I still really enjoyed it.

The Payne’s both being on the wrong sides is a nice touch too.
Honestly, as flawed that game was, I freaking loved the journey and references and that godly soundtrack. Seeing PLvsAA representation made me so happy lol.

And omg, I didn't even realise that detial of Paynes being both on the wrong side lmao.

I really need to get back to TGAA, I cleared 1-4 but then an avalanche of Switch games came out and hasn't stopped since. It was a slow start, but I really enjoyed 1-3 and 1-4.

...I just found out that TGAA literally had 2 DLC cases but we didn't get them in the collection due to a legality issue regarding to the marketing in Japan. I'm so SAD fuuuuuu.

Apparently it's really good and hilarious, you play as Kazuma with Susato. GOD DAMN IT.

...I just found out that TGAA literally had 2 DLC cases but we didn't get them in the collection due to a legality issue regarding to the marketing in Japan. I'm so SAD fuuuuuu.

Apparently it's really good and hilarious, you play as Kazuma with Susato. GOD DAMN IT.
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat

I don't think they were full-fledged DLC cases, were they? I thought they were similar to the "Asinine Attorney" stuff in Spirit of Justice.

I really need to get back to TGAA, I cleared 1-4 but then an avalanche of Switch games came out and hasn't stopped since. It was a slow start, but I really enjoyed 1-3 and 1-4.
Out of curiosity, did you leave out 1-1 and 1-2 because you found them to be painfully slow too? Because I finally have time to dedicate to the game, but the first two cases have been a slog so far. There's a lot of redundant dialogue, even by the series' standards.

Quoted by: Leo
Out of curiosity, did you leave out 1-1 and 1-2 because you found them to be painfully slow too? Because I finally have time to dedicate to the game, but the first two cases have been a slog so far. There's a lot of redundant dialogue, even by the series' standards.

Yes, I felt the same. 1-2 especially is a painful slog and it's not interesting at all. But 1-3 picks up and is back at the usual AA pace. Both it and 1-4 are really good, on par with great cases from the first trilogy.

Last edited:

Aw man, I really want this now.

I don't think they were full-fledged DLC cases, were they? I thought they were similar to the "Asinine Attorney" stuff in Spirit of Justice.
I searched the dlc cases and apparently they are like an hour and 20ish minutes long. But according to comments, they're really good and hilarious.

Can’t believe we were denied the Kazuma-Susato sibling team up case we deserved smh.

I’ve actually been replaying Layton vs AA and while its flaws are obvious it’s still a really charming experience. The third case is also maybe the funniest episode in the entire series.

Re: unlocalized GAA DLC, allow me to lazily copypaste my post from era’s GAA OT as it should help:

“So as some folks were talking about a few posts back, there are two unlocalized DLC cases for GAA2 that were not included in Chronicles. This is apparently for legal reasons, but I have no idea what this means. The two episodes are short and mostly comedic trials. I found translated uploads for both.

Episode 1: Kazuma is brought back to court before Ryunosuke and him leave for England. Auchi is pressing charges over something that happened at the end of 1-1. This video features subtitles over the dialogue boxes using Youtube’s CC option. No real spoilers for anything besides 1-1, just don’t look at the comments.

Episode 2: Sherlock defends Iris against Van Zieks’ claims of theft—someone has absconded with his prized chalice. IMO, this is the better of the two episodes. It’s funnier, with a better story and a super cute ending; Ryunosuke and Sherlock raise objections alongside one and another, with the former raising the obvious points and the latter galaxy braining the trial. It also has surprising if inessential Van Zieks lore. This video is dubbed by a streamer rather than subbed. While the story itself contains no spoilers, this video does as there is a live chat that discusses end game spoilers. As a result, I do not recommend watching this until after you complete the entirety of GAA2.

The second episode does feature a Sherlock reference but it’s material under public domain, so again, I’m not sure what the legal issue is.”

Almost finishing the second GAA.
The first one was slow, dull, Susato was irritating with the takedown every 2 seconds, and stories were somewhat... stupid, the first 3 almost.
The second one is something comparable to the third Ace Attorney. It's like night and day.

Back
Top Bottom