• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Ace Attorney & The Great Ace Attorney appreciation thread

What's your favourite Ace Attorney subseries/trilogy?

• Ace Attorney 1-3

Votes: 32 46.4%
  • Ace Attorney 4-6

Votes: 5 7.2%
  • Ace Attorney Investigations

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • The Great Ace Attorney

Votes: 27 39.1%
  • Professor Layton vs Ace Attorney

Votes: 2 2.9%

• Total voters

Kano

yoda gaming
Ace Attorney is the best video game series that exists, as everyone already knows. I dedicate my first famiboards thread to this humble altar at the glory of Capcom's creation, and to discuss its various entries. Don't hesitate to state what's your favourite entry, favourite case, character, music, gimmick or anything you'd like.

The series has been relatively dormant for some years but rebounced with the recent release of The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles, which includes the long-awaited western releases of The Great Ace Attorney: Adventures, and The Great Ace Attorney 2: Resolve. At long last, we have ways to play every game in the series in English.

I've just beat the collection and I gotta say that Shu Takumi absolutely blew my mind. I would have never expected him to top his previous highs (which I consider to be Ace Attorney: Trials and Tribulations as well as Ace Attorney Investigations 2) but he delivered incredibly well. Having a story that spans over two games and ten cases allowed him to fully develop an universe, through the exploration of Great Britain's 19th century setting, was a very good idea and I hope we see this again. I think TGAA2 is now my favourite game in the series. It was just that good.​

lawyer boy thinks lawyer game is the best game ever, typical

on the real though it really is a wonderful series. i didnt love spirit of justice but both great ace attorneys, especially resolve, were absolutely wonderful. reminded me a lot of how i felt in the mid 00s playing the originql trilogy for the first time.

herlock is potentially my favorite character in the whole series. his dialogue is so much fun.

please don't call me out

herlock sholmes is genuinely the best character tho
abdb3ed667ef472279a948c4165729f8f2f4ffc0.jpg

1bc95bd83428b5d6e1449347a7d7372a979032c4.jpg

One of the few franchises that never misses. Even the 'least liked' games are still fantastic.

Playing through the first Great Ace Attorney

Its so good. God I missed playing new episodes of this beautiful series.

This place begins with an Ace Attorney appreciation thread? We're off to a good start.

I must say I'm a very big fan of all games' OSTs, they're one of the things I look forward to the most when a new game releases, and TGAA 1&2 did not disappoint

I finished the first great ace attorney game and had a wonderful time with it.
I'm currently doing a little pause in order to play dread and then nmh3, and I can't wait to get back to the story after that.

By that time I really hope the next game is announced, I like to play an AA game knowing that another is coming in the future.

I thought the Great Ace Attorney 1 was pretty middle of the road. Great characters, but the cases left something to be desired. The comparative shortness of the cases certainly didn't help; I came away feeling like the whole 1st game was an appetizer for the 2nd game. But GAA2 was phenomenal, paying off in spades. So when I see several of you enjoying the first game so much, you have no idea the ride you're in for!

Playing GAA 1 and finished the 4 case. Not bad, but I'm not feeling engaged as the other AA.

Gonna give some time before jump back.

TGAAC is my GOTY so far, especially the second game. The story, characters, soundtrack, humor. It's awesome. Capcom, give us GAA3. Pleeeease

I find it awesome how they managed to "lightheartedly" adress major issues such as racism and poverty in the great ace attorney.
Also I love how each case is introduced by some sherlock holmes text. Funny that the japanese dub still says "holmes" when the localization had to go with "sholmes".

And, even if I still have the second game to play, the story structure and the pacing is really really good.

For the longest time I thought no other game in the franchise would ever compare to AA3 and the original trilogy in general, but TGAA proved me wrong. They just needed completely new characters to achieve it, which makes things like that moment in GAA2-5 feel earned and cement them as unforgettable.

A funny trivia with this character is that he's named after a japanese author of the same name, and that his described life actually mimicks that author as well.

Yeah I was wondering why this character was like that, and thought at first it was a reference to Chaplin for some weird reason, but no, it's a cameo of soseki natsume, a famous japanese author who lived the same recluse life when he was in London. The guy never adapted to western life and somehow hated it. He wrote his first novels when he came back in Japan, hence the nod in the game "I will write a book when i'll get home".

Getting back into GAA right now actually. Still in the first game, but on 1-5 and having a blast.

Also want to say that AA4 is under appreciated.

Despite completing it about a month ago, I still think about GAA and especially case 2-3. What a ride. The soundtrack, the characters, the build, suspense and the freaking plot twists and climax. GOTY for sure.

Despite completing it about a month ago, I still think about GAA and especially case 2-3. What a ride. The soundtrack, the characters, the build, suspense and the freaking plot twists and climax. GOTY for sure.
I beat it in early August, but my spouse has played it a couple of hours at a time between bouts of FF14. So it hasn't left my mind in months. Some great twists, even by the standards of the series.

I beat it in early August, but my spouse has played it a couple of hours at a time between bouts of FF14. So it hasn't left my mind in months. Some great twists, even by the standards of the series.
It just shows how Shu Takumi still got it. I think he may be directing or at least working on some fashion on AA7. I have every faith that the guy will deliver even if it's a new IP like Ghost Trick.

It just shows how Shu Takumi still got it. I think he may be directing or at least working on some fashion on AA7. I have every faith that the guy will deliver even if it's a new IP like Ghost Trick.
I couldn't agree more. The characters in Dual Destinies just didn't stick with me at all, aside from Blackquill. It can't be easy to write Ace Attorney. The pacing is tough to nail, and you can't lean on the dialogue of 10 different characters like Danganronpa.

Van Zieks is a top-tier prosecutor. I liked him better than Edgeworth by the end. And I would kill for a Sholmes Investigations game.

Now that I've had enough time to mull over it since beating the game, I think I can confidently say that (GAA2-5 Spoilers)
the last Dance of Deduction is the best moment in the entire series, and the song that plays with it might be the best in the series too.

I Love Ace Attorney 1-3.
1 with the bonus chapter is probably my fav.
I also liked 4 (Apollo), but couldn't survive the transition to 3D...some day, I want to play The Great AA. Also Investigations.

Now that I've had enough time to mull over it since beating the game, I think I can confidently say that (GAA2-5 Spoilers)
the last Dance of Deduction is the best moment in the entire series, and the song that plays with it might be the best in the series too.

Oh yeah, that was amazing. I'm probably going to double dip on GAA2 soon, i miss this game so much.

It's so, so dang good. I don't think AA will ever touch Trials and Tribulations-levels of GOAT, but Ace Attorney Chronicles (especially 2) comes very, very close.

What a ride.

It's the franchise that validated my desire of getting better at english. It's still a huge shame most of the games don't have global translations.

The Great Ace Attorney is my favorite game in the series, but Edgeworth is still the best character for me. Sholmes is a close second.

Man I would love a third Great Ace Attorney game, I enjoyed them so much.

I love them all though, I don’t think there’s a single one I haven’t enjoyed, even if individual cases or solutions felt like the leaps required were ridiculous.

Loved AA 123, Investigation 2, great ace 12,
meh on AA 456 and AA cross Layton.

Investigation 2 was so so good though, looking forward to play it again but my DS died.
winks at Capcom

Potential Hot Take: Susato is better than Maya and should be way higher. Ryutaro has more votes than her…

I've played 1-5 and the first Investigations game, I love all of them. I want to show some appreciation for 2 and Apollo Justice because those games rarely receive any; 2 has one of the best cases in the series (its final one) (we won't mention that it also has the worst case :p) and AJ was taking the series in a really interesting direction. I'm still disappointed they didn't follow through on it. I'm actually not sure I feel any of the negativity people have for that game, I remember thinking it was "worse" than 3 (anything would be lol) but still super solid and I enjoyed it throughout.

I need to get around to the second Investigations sometime, and really need to get around to Great Ace Attorney apparently. I have to be honest that the setting isn't very interesting to me, but the gushing everyone's been doing about it.. doesn't sound optional lol.

Played through the original trilogy and Apollo Justice for the first time earlier this year. Absolutely wonderful time all around, the humor and characters really won me over. Love the banter between Phoenix and Maya. I actually really like AJ as well, the music is so good in that game. In the middle of a Miles Edgeworth playthrough, then onto Dual Destinies and Spirit of Justice, then Great Ace Attorney.

One of my favorite video game series easily. And Shu Takumi is a great director, I hope he's working on AA7 but I will play anything he works on.

I love the games, but the more time passes the more I think the original trilogy is lightning in a bottle that can't be replicated, at least for me. Everything from the games' tone, characters, and pacing just hits the right notes for me that none of the others do. I realize a lot of people are probably coming off the glow of playing the Great games recently, and while they're probably my second favorite thing in the series due to their much stronger characters and themes (Shu Takumi can write these like no one else can), I replayed the original trilogy after playing through the GAA games in Japanese on the 3DS last year and....sorry, but I still think the originals are just better in most ways. They're so much better paced, with much quicker courtroom and investigation sequences, and I find the modern setting a lot more relatable.

Almost every game in the series is at least really good in its own right, imo, though (AA6 and PLvPW are the exceptions for me). We're blessed to have as many fantastic Ace Attorney games as we do. I'm excited to get around to playing the GAA games in English.

Potential Hot Take: Susato is better than Maya and should be way higher. Ryutaro has more votes than her…
Agreed. Susato is my new favorite assistant. I also liked Ema even though it was only for one case.

Herlock Sholmes is the best character in the series

(Though I love Edgey too)

I see I'm the lone PLvsAA vote lol

I like all the games to varying degrees, but that one's setting and premise were by far the most interesting to me. Witch trials was a really clever way to tie the courtroom gameplay in, and this game was the birth of mob interrogation.

It helps that I also liked the Layton series, so I enjoyed the characters and already knew what to expect story-wise. Saw that ending coming from miles away. And I really love puzzles, which turned the usually tedious investigation sections into a highlight.

Great Ace Attorney kinda had a similar look and feel in some regards, so I quite liked it as well. I liked the character design influence seeping over from PLvsAA too. But the story was a bit too plodding and the dialogue a bit too drawn out.

I don’t even think this is a hot take, she is definitely my favourite assistant in the series. It was a great change of pace to have the assistant character as one of the most competent people in the game.

Very hard poll though, like as much as I love Herlock, Susato and Gina, it’s hard to compare them to my favourites from the Trilogy that I’ve loved since I was a kid in Phoenix, Edgeworth, Franziska and Gumshoe.

I've played every game in the series, and I will forever love it for being what got me into Visual Novels.

I think a great way to keep revisiting the games is to watch people play them on Twitch. Watching others react to the games (specially when you anticipate a big reveal moment is coming) is pretty fun, even more when the chat follows along.

I picked up the first game on the DS on a complete whim - had never played a VA before. I immediately fell in love and this is now one of my favourite series. Haven’t gone too far into GAA yet, but I love it so far.

Nothing will ever beat the original trilogy for me. All three games are fantastic, with an amazing cast of characters. In particular, Phoenix himself and the bullying prosecutors are expertly written.

I know some of the cases - Steel Samurai, Circus and Nerd in the Cafe are just filler, but they are important for building up the animosity the prosecutors have for Phoenix.

Back
Top Bottom