• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Discussion According to Kit and Krysta, Furukawa is into Fire Emblem

Wockio

NSMB2 Millionaire
Pronouns
He
"The other thing about Mr. Furukawa that's really fun is that, you know, he came to our office when he became the global president to like, introduce himself, for us to get to know him, and I love how, yeah, it was like, sort of the first time we were seeing his personality and getting to know who he is as a person. At the time he was telling us like, how he was a huge Fire Emblem fan and he was like playing Fire Emblem and he was like "I'm a huge fan, I've been playing Fire Emblem, but then I got to the end of Fire Emblem and I was like, the credits were rolling, and it got to the very end and it was like, Executive Producer: Furukawa" like him, right, and he was like "that was a hard cold reality that I had to get back to work".

Nine Nintendo Developer Stories - You've Never Heard These Before! - Super Kit & Krysta 64​

They talk about other stuff like Tanabe being really into Baby Metal and Koizumi being a coffee snob. It's a fun watch.

Being the current president of Nintendo, we already knew Furukawa was a man of wealth.

Now we know he is also a man of taste.

An an aside, as someone who took a public speaking class in high school, seeing that many "likes" in one paragraph of spoken word is mind boggling.
I have a bad habit of saying "like" and "you know" a lot but even I had trouble reading that quote.

Lmao I love that bit about Furukawa rolling credits in Fire Emblem and getting slapped with "cold hard reality" that he has to get back to work. I wish we saw that goofy side from him!

ewwww he's into ANIME games? No wonder Smash is being RUINED
Don't worry, Furukawa cancelled the next Smash in favor of Anime Fighter

Lmao I love that bit about Furukawa rolling credits in Fire Emblem and getting slapped with "cold hard reality" that he has to get back to work. I wish we saw that goofy side from him!

Don't worry, Furukawa cancelled the next Smash in favor of Anime Fighter
Fire Emblem X Soulcalibur

Whatā€™s Tanabe worked on? I know there was a Baby Metal collab for the first Mario Maker game.
He's a liason for Nintendo to interact with third party studios. Officially he's an employee of EPD, but since ~1999 he's usually listed as a producer/supervisor for most of Nintendo's third-party endeavors that are still "sold" as mainline Nintendo games. (Like, M&L is AlphaDream but we still call it a Nintendo game, that kinda thing.)

He has quite the varied repertoire, although most people consider him (in)famous for Paper Mario's new direction. Besides that he's been involved with Luigi's Mansions sequels, the Prime games (and spinoffs), Chibi Robo, the Kirby period where they were working on spinoffs, Mario & Luigi and so on.

Funny how Nintendo has gone from Yamauchi, who was once quoted as essentially calling RPG fans lonely nerds after Squaresoft and Enix both jumped to PlayStation, to Furukawa, who loves playing Fire Emblem.
I like RPGs but tbh Yamauchi was so real for saying that

An an aside, as someone who took a public speaking class in high school, seeing that many "likes" in one paragraph of spoken word is mind boggling.
I havenā€™t taken a public speaking class, and I myself was apalled at the amount of pauses. Had to back out for a bit xD

mw9LgO.gif

Good man.

zEi6pYL.png

Its always interesting hearing what Nintendo hire ups like. I now want to see Furukawa's builds in Engage.

Whatā€™s Tanabe worked on? I know there was a Baby Metal collab for the first Mario Maker game.
He directed Doki Doki Panic/Mario 2, did level design on Mario 3 and wrote the story of Link to the Past and the basic outline of Linkā€™s Awakening. Aka the career I wish I had.

And here's her quote, edited for sanity:

"The other thing about Mr. Furukawa that's really fun: one time he came to our office when he became the global president to introduce himself, for us to get to know him. I loved how we got to see his personality for the first time and got to know who he is as a person. At the time he was telling us how he was a huge Fire Emblem fan and how when he was playing Fire Emblem he had a sudden realization: "I'm a huge fan, I've been playing Fire Emblem, but when I got to the end and the credits were rolled to the very end and said Executive Producer: Furukawa, it was a hard cold reality that I had to get back to work"

Bro must be champing at the bit for the FE4 remake just like the rest of us.

I hope he makes it his mission to greenlight as many FE games as possible šŸ˜Ž I want my Theatrhythm Fire Emblem spinoff already smh.

I remember when Koji Kondo said he liked and was inspired by bands such as Deep Purple and Emerson, Lake and Palmer (and you can definitely hear it in his music). To be honest, he is of that generation that would have listened to those bands so I suspect he isn't the only one and it isn't that surprising but I always find it interesting to hear what influenced and inspired them

Funny how Nintendo has gone from Yamauchi, who was once quoted as essentially calling RPG fans lonely nerds after Squaresoft and Enix both jumped to PlayStation, to Furukawa, who loves playing Fire Emblem.
I mean, as much as I love Fire Emblem and Xenoblade, I'm still very biased against RPGs as a genre (game systems built around experience levels, character attributes, and skill trees, and career branching) because I think it's just too redundant as a modern game design, and that's why I love The Legend of Zelda because I think action-adventure is the evolution of the videogame design paradigm, centered entirely around mechanics and functional design with only a few numerical elements.

RPGs are some of my favorite games but where did he lie... (I'm dragging myself, yes)

Back
Top Bottom