• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

NSO Mother 3 is out on Nintendo Switch Online today...in Japan.

Nintendo needs to just localize this already - NSO was the perfect opportunity. Ah well.

I'm sorry but this is actually insanely disappointing to the point where I almost can't believe it. There was no excuse this time, it would have been easier than ever to do. I'm in full "people need to start another letter writing campaign" mode right now they should be forced to at least publicly acknowledge this

It's never going to get an official translation from nintendo, just play the game with the fan translation.

NGL, can't even care at this point. We got a fantastic translation that's easy to use and can be played on any potato computer and likely smartphone. If Nintendo doesn't care, we're not missing anything, really. Not like its release would lead to MOTHER 4

Nintendo still be like

p6k-Ni.gif

I'm sorry but this is actually insanely disappointing to the point where I almost can't believe it. There was no excuse this time, it would have been easier than ever to do. I'm in full "people need to start another letter writing campaign" mode right now they should be forced to at least publicly acknowledge this
the days of fan campaigns are long gone, nowadays people just scream about pirating to teach them a lesson or something

I AM NOT CRAZY! I am not crazy! I know they swapped those games! I knew it was Mother3. One after Mother2. As if I could ever make such a mistake. Never. Never! I just – I just couldn't prove it. They – they covered their tracks, they got that idiot in the editing room to swap the footage for them. You think this is something? You think this is bad? This? This chicanery? They've done worse. Those Battletoads! Are you telling me that Toads just happen to battle like that? No! They orhestrated it! NINTENDO! They blasted through a sunroof in BlastCorps! And I paid for the expansion pass! And I shouldn't have. I took them into my home on my Nintendo Switch! What was I thinking? They'll never change. They'll never change! Ever since I was 14 always the same! Couldn't release Mother 3 Outside of Japan! But not our Nintendo! Couldn't be precious Reggie! They'll release it eventually! And they get to be market leaders!? What a sick joke! I should've stopped him when I had the chance! And you – you have to stop them! You-

iu

Not that upset TBH, just felt like doing some light shitposting. I'm pretty resigned with the fan translation, it's fantastic and I'm so used to it in my mind it might as well be the official translation... but still.

Thank God the Switch is region free. Is Mother 3 particularly heavy with kanji or does it mostly use hiragana and katakana like old NES RPGs?

well hey, now that all NSO + Expansion Pass subscribers technically have legal, nintendo-approved access to the ROM, everyone can feel less bad than ever about playing the fan translation. which, to be clear, is absolutely what you should do if you still want to play this game and haven't let yourself for some reason

Thank God the Switch is region free. Is Mother 3 particularly heavy with kanji or does it mostly use hiragana and katakana like old NES RPGs?
it uses kana exclusively, apparently to encourage readers to "take it slow." it seems like a very, very difficult game to read and understand without a pretty high degree of fluency lol

it uses kana exclusively, apparently to encourage readers to "take it slow." it seems very, very difficult without a pretty high degree of fluency lol
I played it with a guide before the fan translation came out back in 2006, so I’ll manage lol. At least I can take this as Japanese practice.

So uhhhh, how does one access the Japanese NSO, changing regions doesn't seem to do anything.
Make a Japanese Nintendo account. Then sign into the eShop with that account and download the NSO apps. Any accounts on your Switch that have a valid subscription will have access to them.

Well it wasn’t going to come to the west. It’s a Japanese game lol
Yea, I don’t see how people can be remotely surprised by thus.

If it was getting localized it wouldn’t be a NSO release. They’d absolutely charge money for it as a standalone game similar to the Shadow Dragon release a few years ago.

I played it with a guide before the fan translation came out back in 2006, so I’ll manage lol. At least I can take this as Japanese practice.
The guide Tomato put together when the game first came out was instrumental when I played it years ago on GBA and Game Boy Player. You’ll be fine mechanically, although it’s certainly light on story details and nuance that you’d get from its younger sibling the fan translation.

Random question. That Fire Emblem game they did a limited time release for a few years ago where it had never been localized before, is that on Japanese NSO?

If so, I could still maybe see them doing something similar with Mother 3 eventually. Put up a more expensive separate purchase on the eshop outside of Japan, but just put it in Japan's NSO since they don't need to bother translating it there

e: answering my own question, apparently Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon was put on Japanese NSO in March 2019 and got a separate worldwide release December 2020

I'm not giving up hope. This is the year

Last edited:
I’m going to hold out hope for a release like Fire Emblem that’s hopefully not limited timed. This one has far more appeal than NES Fire Emblem so I think it’ll happen.

NGL, can't even care at this point. We got a fantastic translation that's easy to use and can be played on any potato computer and likely smartphone. If Nintendo doesn't care, we're not missing anything, really. Not like its release would lead to MOTHER 4
Same. Played the fan translation 15 years ago and it was great, zero interest in an official release.

A classic case of a series that are more talked than played.

This would bomb in the rest of the world.
At this point this is more of a self-fulfilling prophecy than actual market testing. And in the terms of filling out an emulator with retro libraries there’s little reason why this would be an impediment.

Fucking Tuff E Nuff is in NSO for god’s sake

Back
Top Bottom