• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion 5 years ago today, Xenoblade Chronicles 2 released! Happy anniversary!

Warlord

Chain Chomp
H2x1_NSwitch_XenobladeChronicles2_image1600w.jpg

A very beloved, yet somewhat controversial game, Xenoblade chronicles 2 is now 5 years old!
Announced during the January Switch presentation and then released on December 1st, 2017, it became the best selling game in the series and brought the series into the spotlight.
Featuring a wonderful story, great cast of characters and some of the best music in gaming. there is a lot to appreciate in this game

What was your first experience with the game? And now, after 5 years, has your opinion changed or is it the same?

For me, this is my favourite game and made me fall in love with the series. I just love the story, the characters, the world, the gameplay, the music and many more things about it. It features one of the best endings I've seen in videogames and may be the only game that made me cry a little when the credits rolled. If there will ever be a Definitive edition, I hope they iron out some of the issues so people can appreciate all the great moments it has.

Love this game and it has become my second favorite rpg after Persona 4. Got the collectors edition at launch. My opinion of it has only gone up over time, especially since the sequel (which I do like) failed to usurp it's position at the top. Such a fantastic set of characters in a wonderful world. So many twists and turns in the story.

Damn I really like this game. That was a better time in my life too. I remember playing it at launch.

Bought it at launch! I still think it's a very flawed game that I had trouble fully embracing, but it did lay the groundwork for me to love the hell out of Xenoblade Chronicles 3, so in the end I'm glad I played it.

I like your attitude!

Still my favorite game on the Switch all these years later, and a top 5 game in general.

Still my favorite Nintendo Switch game... I've had dreams about Alrest not even kidding

Ah yes, the best Xenoblade game, the first JRPG I played that wasn't Pokemon, and honestly still probably my favorite JRPG after I've played a fair amount more in the genre (unless we're counting CrossCode which I occasionally do)

Story, characters, world, gameplay, almost everything in this game is top notch. The character designs are the only place I really take issue with in this game and even they don't bother me too much personally even if I agree they're bad.

As flawed as it is... still one of my favourite experiences in video games. Happy anniversary!

I adore the game and always will. I still think about it regularly and hope the XC3 DLC gives me even more XC2 goodness in the coming months.

Top 3 Switch games for me, and an adventure I'll never forget. Although it took a few hours until I got really hooked.

But where did the time go?

XC2 was my first Xenoblade game, I didn't know a thing about the series except hearing that it was decent. I wasn't even big into RPGs at the time, but decided to branch out since I was looking for something new on switch. It ended up being one of the most memorable games I've played.

I'm looking forward to replaying it someday soon (hopefully on upgraded hardware!)

I gave up on this game in Chapter 4. Returned to it about a year later only to fall in love. Easily top 5, top 3 switch game.

XC2 is still my favorite game on the Switch. Re-played it like 4 times. Something about it just landed perfectly in my heart.

The game was even better when I played it my second time earlier this year. What a fantastic adventure. I look forward to playing it again.

Got it at launch I'm pretty sure, despite the art direction I was generally excited for the game since I really liked 1 and loved X. It was on the whole uneven and disappointing in many ways, with a handful of good moments but it didn't really made up for the rest, and my view on it has soured more as the years go by.

Played it for the first time earlier this year. While it was a fun experience, I feel like it will be my least favorite of the trilogy. The other two had better main stories IMO, and I still haven't forgotten how evil those field skills were.

Still, a fun 8/10 game.

The game was even better when I played it my second time earlier this year. What a fantastic adventure. I look forward to playing it again.
I think the second playthrough really solidified it for me. There’s a ton of really subtle foreshadowing and you can see the thematic through lines running throughout the game once you know what to look for.

I think the second playthrough really solidified it for me. There’s a ton of really subtle foreshadowing and you can see the thematic through lines running throughout the game once you know what to look for.
Yeah, the game’s narrative is a lot smarter than some people like to give it credit for.

Good lord I have to beat damn Dragon Quest XIS so I can finally dip my toe into this series, y’all singing its praises make it sound so nice.

I’ll still probably start with X1DE tho.

Legendary, and the best Xenoblade game! It has faults for sure, and I wish the gacha only featured the rare blades, but the story, music, visuals, combat, voice acting (JP ver)... so good!

The voice actors of Malos and Noah celebrating together at the voice studio today.

Who knows what for.

I think Malos' voice actor has been celebrating Xenoblade 2's anniversary every single year, how can you not love the guy?

The love for this game has endured the test of time. A true testament to how great this game is.

I only noticed Jin's forehead core crystal breaking during his final showdown with Amalthus during my second playthrough/NG+. A very subtle detail, but it hits hard when you realise the consequence.

Delighted to see so much fan art on social media. Five years on and those who love the game are still passionate about it - it warms my heart.

I’ll have to log on tonight and have a run around Alrest for old time‘s sake. Such a beautiful, colourful world. One that bursts with imagination and creativity.

Whatever comes next, I hope we see that wild variety return in the future games.

Definitely a ton of great anniversary artwork going around. Love these characters so much.

XB2 is the one that introduced me to the xeno world, one of my favorites titles for switch

Had around an hour and a half on it this evening, and it was a real joy.

The game is, at times, showing it’s age. It’s a rough around the edges launch year game, whose dev team was partially tied up on another big game. And it shows.

But bugger if the heart of the game doesn’t shine through. It was my first time revisiting the game in a post-XC3 world and I had a blast.

I visited every area, soaked in the atmosphere, the music, the variety of architectures and interiors, etc.

It made me realise how much I’d missed that whimsical world, the lively colours and just… that feeling.

Alrest has got such a vivid identity. It feels like a place, but a magical place that can’t possibly exist - the best kind as far as I’m concerned.

I’ve been an utter fanboy for this game for five years now. I’ve played dozens upon dozens of games since - all the blockbusters, a smattering of indies and everything in between.

But this game does something for me that no other game can touch. I hope to see parts of the XC2 crew next year, but if not, I’m counting down the days to XC2 DE.

Giving this a bump as I’m a playing through this for the first time right now, currently on Chapter 8. Aside from a few issues this game is absolutely wonderful! I love the world, characters and story they have and I think it may well top the first one for me (which I also played for the first time in 2022 via the DE version on Switch)

There were times I legit cringed at this game's anime tropes, but other times I was enthralled. It's overall a really fun game and my favorite of the series. I know some people really really really hate the character designs and like to make sure everyone is aware of that, but I didn't think they were much more outlandish than most JRPGs. At least they're memorable, and I'll take that over generic.

XC2 was also my first Xeno game, so I may have my perception of it attached to that first impression. But I went back and played Xeno 1: DE and I found it kinda boring and bland, and I couldn't wait to see it end. XC3 is a definite improvement, but you kind of need to play the other two to really get some key points, and the game takes a divisive turn halfway through.

Back
Top Bottom