• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion 2D Mario vs 2D Sonic: The Preview Battle!

Which Game are you most Excited for?

• Super Mario Bros Wonder

Votes: 68 72.3%
  • Sonic Superstars

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • Don't make me choose

Votes: 18 19.1%
  • Don't care for either one

Votes: 4 4.3%

• Total voters
After many years, both Super Mario Bros and Sonic will be getting a 2D entry well within the same period. So fellows. IT. IS. TIME! TO! RUUUUUUUUUMBLEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

In the RED CORNER:

ND_Lead.jpg

After ten long years after New Super Mario Bros. U + Luigi, Mario is back with a new 2D game!

Playable Characters shown so far: Mario, Luigi, Princess Peach, Toad, Princess Daisy, Yoshi
New Gimmicks: Elephant Power, Wonder Flower acid trips

In the BLUE CORNER!

announcement_768.jpg

Sonic comes back with a new 3D artstyle and his classic cast of characters in SONIC SUPERSTARS!

Playable Characters (so far): Sonic the Hedgehog, Miles "Tails" Prower, Knuckles the Echidna, Amy Rose
New Gimmicks, Multiplayer Co-Op, Emerald powers

Two Giants duking it out again! Which one do you think will take home to gold in your heart? Find out this FALL!

arzest is a shit tier developer,their 2d plataforms are really mediocre,even with nintendo guidance and balan wonderland is one of the worst games of all time

I have more trust in the 2D Mario team while Sonic SuperStars has to prove itself tho it does look promising so far.

Sonic Superstars looks good, but for some reason it doesn't do anything to me. Why? I dunno. I think I'll just stick to the first three Mega Drive/Genesis classics and Sonic Mania Plus.

Super Mario Bros. Wonder on the other hand...is everything I want from a 2D Super Mario game.

Mario Wonder even over something like Sonic Mania. It looks that good. Mario Wonder smokes Superstars flat out.

Superstars is made by Arzest, so it's pretty much guaranteed to suck. I was super excited for it until I heard who the developer is. How is Arzest still in business?!?

Mario and Sonic. Two icons

Slowly, they approach one another, holding their respective game in their hands

Mario is looking intensly at Sonic Superstars, while Sonic observes SMB Wonder with great interest.

"Hey, nice game!" said Mario with all the honesty in the world
"Your game looks fun too" said Sonic with enthusiasm

They forge a friendship that will define a generation. Everybody wins.

THE END

Last edited:
Sega needs to take one for the team and release Sonic on October 20th. Fanboy fight of the 20th century!

That's a damn shame... Sonic Superstars actually looks legit good.

The one time Sonic Team appear to be doing something right...

I'm on Team "Why Make Two Kings Fight?"

I'm excited that both 2D Mario and 2D Sonic are doing what I wanted them to do - fresh and exciting new takes that build upon the past with some great multiple playable characters. I'm hoping that both games stick the landing!

Both can coexist and will, also Sonic is probably coming out in November.

But personally I'm not interested in 2D Mario anymore. Sonic Superstars is looking great so far + look at my damn avatar lmao.

Superstars is made by Arzest, so it's pretty much guaranteed to suck. I was super excited for it until I heard who the developer is. How is Arzest still in business?!?
Arzest's president is original Sonic designer Naoto Ohshima, the designs in Balan Wonderworld were the only good thing about it, and he did character design work on this game. Meanwhile the physics were designed by the Sonic Mania team and converted over.

It's not clear who directed, but it's not like Arzest makes buggy products, It looks good visually, we know that it will feel good control wise (Sonic Mania), it just remains to be seen if the level design is there, but I don't think Arzest's name on it automatically kills it

Look, there's nothing that can make me bet on Sonic with Arzest involvement over 2D Mario. The former is pretty much a crapshoot while the latter will be at the very least solid if boring. But I can't look at Superstars and not feel at the very least some excitement. It looks great imo.

Honestly, they both look like just what each series was in dire need of at this particular moment.

I'm rooting for both and so should you!

I look at both of them and think they are exactly what I want from both series. Creative, colourful and with as many players as you want so you can play with your children or adults that don’t play games as much and everyone still feels like they are contributing. Or deliberately hindering :)

Reckon I’ll pick up Mario first but I can’t remember the last time I saw Mario and Sonic go head to head in a straight 2D or 3D fight and thought ‘I want to play both’. Probably 30+ years ago.

Every time I think Sonic looks good I remember ‘it’s being developed by Arzest’ and my hype plummets like a lead balloon.

They both low-key look like mobile games.

But I hope they're both good games, and then they can all have fun at the Olympics together.

I know the name Arzest spooks people, but nothing shown of Superstars screams "they are making this and no one else!"

Arzest's president is original Sonic designer Naoto Ohshima, the designs in Balan Wonderworld were the only good thing about it, and he did character design work on this game. Meanwhile the physics were designed by the Sonic Mania team and converted over.

It's not clear who directed, but it's not like Arzest makes buggy products, It looks good visually, we know that it will feel good control wise (Sonic Mania), it just remains to be seen if the level design is there, but I don't think Arzest's name on it automatically kills it
I mean even before Balan their quality hasn't exactly been stellar

I'm cautiously optimistic about Sonic, but Mario Wonder will deliver even if the level design is "only" as good as NSMBU. Day 1 on it.

When you don't know all that much about a game a good point of reference is the development talent.

When you're putting the historical New York Yankees (Nintendo EPD) against the Miami Marlins (Arzest), it's generally going to be a complete blowout.

2D Mario has a much better track record than 2D Sonic, and Wonder seems like it's gone all in on turning 2D Mario into a fever dream. Super Mario Wonder has got this, easy.

They both low-key look like mobile games.

But I hope they're both good games, and then they can all have fun at the Olympics together.
Lots of mobile games look good to great and none are bringing this type of gameplay. This slight doesn’t hold weight these days.

When you don't know all that much about a game a good point of reference is the development talent.

When you're putting the historical New York Yankees (Nintendo EPD) against the Miami Marlins (Arzest), it's generally going to be a complete blowout.
Has arzest ever won a World Series in this analogy? The marlins even best the Yankees for their second title! Let’s use the unfortunate mariners (as much as it pains me) as they have never put a team together that won the whole thing and wasted tons of good talent due to poor management.

Yoshis New Island reuse the perfect controls of the original and still suck because the level design is bad

Back
Top Bottom