• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion 202X: Future Nintendo Software Speculation

Honestly, I can't stop thinking about the next 3D Zelda after TotK. I think we have two options:

1) The most plausible one. A cartoony game with a clear 2D game design, but in 3D. Kinda like Mario 3D World was, a 3D Mario with 2D essence. It could have some farming elements, optional multiplayer gameplay, a nice beautiful little world, and it would take no more than 30 hours to beat it.

2) What I want. A sequel to Ocarina and Twilight Princess. A modern take on those games, more realistic art-style than BotW, with an smaller open world and some of its elements like collecting materials and cooking food, but not that focused on pure exploration. Beautiful fairy forests, deeper story, great iconic boss fights, epic music, just a few of very high quality dungeons... I want a "different modernization" of 3D Zelda from what BotW was.

Honestly, I can't stop thinking about the next 3D Zelda after TotK. I think we have two options:

1) The most plausible one. A cartoony game with a clear 2D game design, but in 3D. Kinda like Mario 3D World was, a 3D Mario with 2D essence. It could have some farming elements, optional multiplayer gameplay, a nice beautiful little world, and it would take no more than 30 hours to beat it.

2) What I want. A sequel to Ocarina and Twilight Princess. A modern take on those games, more realistic art-style than BotW, with an smaller open world and some of its elements like collecting materials and cooking food, but not that focused on pure exploration. Beautiful fairy forests, deeper story, great iconic boss fights, epic music, just a few of very high quality dungeons... I want a "different modernization" of 3D Zelda from what BotW was.

There are so many new Zelda fans who came in after Breath of the Wild that they launched Skyward Sword HD with a disclaimer. Those fan like Open-Air Zelda, and are about to have three games with these characters and aesthetic. I think Nintendo reboots the Zelda aesthetic next, while preserving the Open Air gameplay.

I would love to see Nintendo do some more experimentation on Zelda, possibly in the 2D arena, which does "linear" pretty well. But Zelda has always been about exploration to me, and when Zelda makes me feel like I'm on themepark ride, I start to get bored.

But Zelda has always been about exploration to me, and when Zelda makes me feel like I'm on themepark ride, I start to get bored.
Oh, definitely. With "not that focused on pure exploration" I'm referring to the main BotW concept of constantly climbing, fliying and discovering smaller things like kologs, shrines, towers... Do you know what I mean?
I do want puzzles in the overworld, and I love the exploration itself, because finding a beautiful or interesting place/forest/mountain is a great feeling.

I couldn't even begin to try and predict what the games themselves will be like, but as far the release schedule for Switch 2 goes...

• Switch 2 releases in March, just like the OG Switch
  • New 3d Mario (launch title)
  • Prime 4 (launch title, crossgen)
  • Mario Kart 9
  • New Grezzo 2d Zelda (crossgen)
  • FE4 Remake (crossgen)
  • New Mario Party (crossgen)
  • Everybody 1-2-Switch (Nintendo saving only the best for Switch 2, baby!)
  • Some random small-scale new IP that nobody saw coming (crossgen)
  • Some new Pokemon thing (crossgen remake? spinoff?)
  • Next GoodFeel Yoshi or Wario game (crossgen)

• New DK (can't decide if it'll be 2d or 3d)
  • Metroid VI
  • Zelda WW/TP ports (crossgen)
  • Astral Chain 2
  • Pokemon Gen X
  • Some new crappy Mario Sports game (crossgen)
  • Paper Mario 7
  • New WarioWare (crossgen)

2026 (aka the Giga Year)
  • Next 3d Kirby
  • Splatoon 4
  • Smash 6
  • New Star Fox
  • Xenoblade 4
  • Luigi's Mansion 4
  • Wacky new IP from HAL
  • New Wave Race

• Next original, non-remake mainline FE game
  • Next Animal Crossing
  • New 2d Kirby
  • Another new Mario Party
  • New 2d Mario (this'll be the next next 2d game imo, I think we'll get the next new one this year)

• Pikmin 5
  • Metroid Prime 5
  • Pokemon Gen XI
  • Next 3d Zelda (maybe a bit too optimistic given how long TotK is taking...)

...And that's all I got. Obviously not what I think the entirety of the 2024-2028 release schedule is gonna be, I'm not that creative when it comes to Nintendo's hypothetical release schedule and you can tell I ran out of steam in the last couple years lol, but I think these are pretty good predictions nevertheless.

I couldn't even begin to try and predict what the games themselves will be like, but as far the release schedule for Switch 2 goes...

• Switch 2 releases in March, just like the OG Switch
  • New 3d Mario (launch title)
  • Prime 4 (launch title, crossgen)
  • Mario Kart 9
  • New Grezzo 2d Zelda (crossgen)
  • FE4 Remake (crossgen)
  • New Mario Party (crossgen)
  • Everybody 1-2-Switch (Nintendo saving only the best for Switch 2, baby!)
  • Some random small-scale new IP that nobody saw coming (crossgen)
  • Some new Pokemon thing (crossgen remake? spinoff?)
  • Next GoodFeel Yoshi or Wario game (crossgen)

This feels about right. Lots of cross gen coming from games we expect already (Prime 3, FE Remake) and Mario as the leadoff.

Here‘s a prediction, DS games will come to NSO. Touch screen function can be done on the screen in handheld, the right stick and gyro can also be used for both handheld and docked to simulate touch screen. They’ll have a variety of way to position the screens, some of which with different sizes for the screens. However, the big thing will be a DS controller. It’ll be based on the DS’s bottom half and the tablet will slot into it in the portrait orientation, allowing the screens to be positioned on top of each other at a good size. The controller will also come with a conductive stylus to complete the DS game play experience.
The only potential issue I see is games that use the mic, at least assuming the Switch 2 doesn’t have a built in mic. However I think it’d be fine with just a simple alert telling you to plug one in when you try to boot one of these games that require the mic, most people have cheap earbuds with a built in mic anyways. If the system doesn’t include a built in mic then the DS controller would definitely have one.

Please no, the overt paper artstyle is so bad compared to the originals.
Whaaaaaat? It’s gorgeous! The only thing ’d remove is the white outlines on characters.

Right now most of 2023 looks to be nailed down, so I figure now's a decent time to bump this. Looking ahead to 2024, there's a number of dev teams who ought to be due for a release next year, though some of these could easily be 2025 if they happen at all. Not counting ports/remasters, this is what my list is looking like:

Metroid Prime 4
Peach game
Fire Emblem 18 / Genealogy remake
EPD8 action game
EPD4 thingy
Pokémon pre-Gen X release
Camelot sports game
Good-Feel contract game
Monolith Soft action game
NdCube something or other
Grezzo something or other
HAL something or other
Nintendo franchise Warriors
Pokémon Mystery Dungeon
Haruki Suzaki Pokémon spin-off

• Metroid Prime 4
    • pretty obvious, rebooted back in 2019
  • Peach game
    • I believe this is from Int Sys and takes the place of Paper Mario, but if not, add Paper Mario to the list
  • Fire Emblem Genealogy remake
  • EPD8 action game
    • Odyssey was 2017
  • EPD4 thingy
    • they've had something basically every year
  • Pokémon pre-Gen X release
    • the machine never stops, whether it's DLC or outsourced, this is annual
  • Camelot sports game
    • 2024 will mark three years since Mario Golf on Switch, though maybe they're on something else
  • Good-Feel contract game
    • Yoshi's Crafted World was 2019, they haven't spent four years just doing the samurai game
  • Monolith Soft action game
    • a number of staff working for Monolith Soft had Special Thanks on TotK but no credits on Xenoblade, included leads as well as contractors for writing and animation
  • NdCube something or other
    • annualish output, Mario Party Superstars was 2021. may be doing something this year, but they have multiple teams anyway
  • Grezzo something or other
    • since Link's Awakening in 2019 they've done the Miitopia port and an upcoming mobile game. likely have capacity for something else
  • HAL something or other
    • mostly annual output, though a 2024 release is more likely something smaller scale than Kirby
  • Nintendo franchise Warriors
    • Omega Force has had these out every couple of years between Zelda and FE. Could be 2024 or 2025
  • Pokémon Mystery Dungeon
    • Rescue Team DX was 2020, which took about four and a half years since Super. Could be 2024 or 2025
  • Haruki Suzaki Pokémon spin-off
    • Pokken's Blastoise DLC was in 2018, New Snap was finished in 2021. Could be 2024 or 2025

Even with some of these pushed to 2025 and splitting across Switch 1 and Switch 2, it's a robust lineup, especially with ports and remasters padding it out further. I would look to EPD8 and Monolith Soft for flagship games to release with Switch 2 during the holiday, perhaps with some cross-gen games supporting them, but most of the listed titles I listed will be for Switch. 2025 I'd say is tentpoled by Mario Kart and Animal Crossing. I'd give Switch 2 the Warriors game and Suzaki's Pokémon spin-off, then Pokémon Gen X, Metroid 6 from MercurySteam, NLG's next game, maybe Xenoblade 4 can eke it out too. Other games will be a mix of Switch 1, crossgen, Switch 2 as appropriate, again with ports and remasters for padding. Hard to get a sense of what's reasonable this far out, but I think they'd want to be aggressive in the year after launch. Monster Hunter and Dragon Quest from Capcom and Square Enix back this up in Japan, and I'm sure Nintendo's other partners will have titles in mind to put the extra juice towards.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom