• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Sports 2023-2024 Famiboards NBA Thread |ST| Roundball Rock

EvilChameleon

Rockenberg Enthusiast
Pronouns
he/him
New-Banner1.png

Key 2023-2024 NBA Season Dates:
Regular season starts Tuesday, October 24th.
In-season tournament starts Friday, November 3rd and ends Saturday, December 9th. Read up on it here.
The All-Star Game is in Indianapolis on Sunday, February 18th.

Eastern Conference
Atlanta Hawks
Boston Celtics
Brooklyn Nets

Charlotte Hornets
Chicago Bulls
Cleveland Cavaliers
Detroit Pistons
Indiana Pacers
Miami Heat
Milwaukee Bucks
New York Knicks

Orlando Magic
Philadelphia 76ers
Toronto Raptors
Washington Wizards

Western Conference
Dallas Mavericks
Denver Nuggets
Golden State Warriors

Houston Rockets
Los Angeles Clippers
Los Angeles Lakers
Memphis Grizzlies

Minnesota Timberwolves
New Orleans Pelicans
Oklahoma City Thunder
Phoenix Suns
Portland Trail Blazers
Sacramento Kings
San Antonio Spurs
Utah Jazz

Teams in bold with blue/red names made the playoffs in the previous season. The team with a golden name won the NBA title.
I plan on updating this thread before every season, should it remain active enough! The preseason starts tomorrow, so I wanted to get this thread up today!​

I'm a Bulls fan but I'm just going to cheat and root for the Spurs like everyone else.

Wemby Fever!

Thanks for making this, haven’t followed it for a couple of years, maybe this will help.

Spurs fan here

I haven’t followed basketball since that glorious run that ended with Lebron bringing the chip to Cleveland. I do like putting a game on in the background though.

Excellent. The NBA is the only professional sports ball league I follow regularly. For the other leagues, I’m a filthy casual when my local teams are good because my employer gave us bonus PTO hours and free lunch (pizza party) the last time one won a major championship. 🏆 🥳

I’m really looking forward to this NBA season given the way the last one ended.

I'm starting to enjoy the regular season more now that there is more parity in the league. Don't get me wrong. I have enjoyed the Warriors run over the last decade, but you get tired know what the Finals match up is going to be every year. Hoping to catch more regular season games this year.

Also, I have 0 expectations for the Bulls. That organization is in one of the worst positions in the league and it will remain that way for a couple more years at least. Too good to tank and not good enough to make any serious noise.

Joel Embiid has decided to rep USA in the 2024 Paris Olympics.

We have The Process himself representing America, and I could not be happier. This is why I will always...

TRUST.
THE.
PROCESS!!!!!

Joel Embiid has decided to rep USA in the 2024 Paris Olympics.

We have The Process himself representing America, and I could not be happier. This is why I will always...

TRUST.
THE.
PROCESS!!!!!

It is endlessly amusing that the Metroid fandom has co-opted a famous rebuild that has yet to yield anything but disappointment.

It is endlessly amusing that the Metroid fandom has co-opted a famous rebuild that has yet to yield anything but disappointment.
Patience and conviction are everything. Metroid fans will keep waiting alongside the 76ers. #TTP

I’m not a huge NBA fan but damn, with Dame on the Bucks now I might have to get more invested. The 21 run was magical.

I can’t even remember the last time the Pacers were good. Pity, Gainbridge Fieldhouse is quite nice.

I waited five months to [checks notes] watch the Lakers drop a fifth straight game to the Nuggets. Wait… surely, that’s a mistake. Let me see that again.

IMG-0595.gif

It’s going to be a long season if the Lakers can’t figure out how to stay in games without soon-to-be 39 year old LeBron James on the floor.

I haven’t watched basketball in ages, but I do have a signed Vince Carter card from when he was a Raptor. 🇨🇦

CHICAGO -- When Chicago Bulls coach Billy Donovan walked into the locker room following his team's 124-104 season-opening loss to the Oklahoma City Thunder, Bulls players were already in the middle of a discussion and asked their coach if they could have the room to talk among themselves.

One game in and this team is already cooked.

Worst officiating I have ever seen tonight. The refs are actively putting the players in danger with all these no-calls.

I generally don’t like fights in basketball games because they’re:
  1. Not basketball;
  2. Typically bad as far as actual fighting goes.
With that in mind, what I usually take from these fights is the unintentional comedy such as Exhibit A:

IMG-0795.jpg

Another Clippers’ collapse is also pretty funny. I expect them to figure it out eventually. For now though? 😂

On a more serious note, I’m thoroughly disappointed in the Sixers’ loss.

what the heck is this tournament and why do all the floors look awful all of a sudden?
The NBA In-Season Tournament is more or less a marketing tool (inspired by a similar successful tournament implemented by the WNBA) to drum up interest and ratings for the early season. It’s also meant to get players engaged sooner as there’s monetary compensation for winning the tournament. While $500,000 doesn’t seem like much (this even feels gross to write) to the max contract players, they want their teammates to get paid. For context, the veterans minimum this season for a player with 10+ years experience is $2.721 million so that $500,000 would be a significant bump for them.

Teams are separated into six groups. The winner of each group plus a wild card in each conference advances. Games are played every Tuesday and Friday starting in early-November until the Semi-Finals and Championship game in early December (12/09/2023 this season) which are hosted in Las Vegas.

The floors are meant to draw attention to TV viewers so when they flip through channels, they’re more likely to stick around to find out why the floors look like that then hopefully, the more competitive games keep them there. Sure, the floors are mostly hideous, but by all accounts, they’re working as intended as ratings for In-Season Tournament games have been good so far.

Tournament was fun, but it sucked that we knew we were kinda out of it for about two weeks now.

The NBA In-Season Tournament is more or less a marketing tool (inspired by a similar successful tournament implemented by the WNBA) to drum up interest and ratings for the early season. It’s also meant to get players engaged sooner as there’s monetary compensation for winning the tournament. While $500,000 doesn’t seem like much (this even feels gross to write) to the max contract players, they want their teammates to get paid. For context, the veterans minimum this season for a player with 10+ years experience is $2.721 million so that $500,000 would be a significant bump for them.

Teams are separated into six groups. The winner of each group plus a wild card in each conference advances. Games are played every Tuesday and Friday starting in early-November until the Semi-Finals and Championship game in early December (12/09/2023 this season) which are hosted in Las Vegas.

The floors are meant to draw attention to TV viewers so when they flip through channels, they’re more likely to stick around to find out why the floors look like that then hopefully, the more competitive games keep them there. Sure, the floors are mostly hideous, but by all accounts, they’re working as intended as ratings for In-Season Tournament games have been good so far.
This was comprehensive! Thank you.

Do the tournament games count towards the regular season standings?

It wasn’t even a month since his last suspension. Bro, stop hitting people. What are you even doing?

Unrelated: Oklahoma City residents voted to approve a six-year 1% sales tax increase to fund the Thunder’s $900 million arena. If that happened in my city (and it still might), I may straight up move.
  1. I don’t want to pay more taxes. Y’all already tax my income. Why am I paying taxes again?
  2. I don’t want to pay for your arena.
I get that it’ll be owned and operated by the city. Still rubs me the wrong way especially with the (comparative) pittance the Thunder ownership group is contributing (5.5%; $50 million).

How do people feel about the Knicks - Raptors trade?
It’s more even than I thought upon first hearing about the trade. I originally hated it for the Raptors. However, they apparently didn’t want to do a whole teardown/rebuild so they didn’t merely want a bunch of draft picks. Immanuel Quickley is a good player, and hopefully a change in scenery and playing in his hometown (home city?) can rejuvenate RJ Barrett. The Pistons’ 2024 second round pick will likely be 31st so the Raptors can still get first round talent.

The Knicks arguably got the best player in the trade (depending on how you feel about Quickley). Trading for OG Anunoby only really makes sense for the Knicks if they can also manage to swing that long-rumored Donovan Mitchell trade.

The winner of the trade is obviously the Pistons because if Anunoby played, there’s no way they break the losing streak and beat the Raptors last night. The Pistons even almost gave the game away at the end. Like how are y’all this bad? Part of me has been rooting for them to break the streak since the end of November. Dark Side me wanted to see how much worse it could get. Like get it to over 30 games, go two months without winning a game…

Last edited:
The Bucks fired head coach Adrian Griffin despite a 30-13 start then proceeded to [checks notes] hire Doc Rivers.

Mostly just confused about the Doc Rivers hire. Dude has been riding the coattails of that 2008 championship for 15 years. The Bucks (and Sixers) are my best chance at not seeing the Celtics get out of the East. Don’t ruin this for me.

Such a wild move. Not the firing so much as the hiring. Didn't they fire their NBA Championship-winning coach because of a postseason collapse?

Such a wild move. Not the firing so much as the hiring. Didn't they fire their NBA Championship-winning coach because of a postseason collapse?
It was a weird situation all around.
  • The Bucks earned the best record in the East last season.
  • Giannis Antetokounmpo got injured in Game 1 and came back in Game 4 when the Bucks were down 2-1.
  • Mike Budenholzer’s brother died in a car accident before Game 4.
  • The Bucks were eliminated in five games.
Firing a coach after a personal tragedy seems heartless, but I’m split on it here. Some people pour themselves into work to compartmentalize while others take time away to process and heal. Regardless, the Bucks made the decision for him.

Budenholzer’s contract was extended to the 2024-2025 season. Fired coaches are paid the remainder of their contract unless they take a new coaching job. I don’t know whether coaches who resign are still paid, just that they can’t take a new coaching job for the duration of the contract without the team’s permission.

Last time Budenholzer was in the hot seat, he won a championship. A top seed getting eliminated in the first round, especially in Game 5, is curtains for most coaches. Sometimes a team needs a new voice in the locker room.

So we beat the Bucks with their fired coach last week, lost tonight to their interim coach, round three on Friday to take on their new coach.

As a Bucks fan who has watched every game this team has played since before Giannis arrived, this whole situation from firing Bud to hiring Griff to now Doc has been a gigantic clusterfuck. It is also however, explainable. Long winded rant to follow.

Firstly, firing Bud - the situation in the playoffs last year was bad on many levels. Jimmy was on one, dominating Jrue and making sure everybody knew about it. The fact that this happened over multiple games without an adjustment from the team was embarrassing. Giannis getting injured and playing injured meant this Miami series was always going to be tougher than expected, but the outcome was still embarrassing for the entire organization. Personally, I would have been just fine with keeping Bud, but I understood it. Thing is, if you fire a coach of his caliber, you better have a good plan already in place. Maybe they thought they did.

So we fire Bud and start a coaching search, the end result of which is 3 finalists, Griffin, Atkinson, and Nurse (I wanted Atkinson). Front office wants Nurse, Giannis says he doesn't want to play for Nurse for whatever reason. Griffin had served as Nurse's lead assistant in Toronto, and Giannis likes Griff. It is important to note that at this point in the process, Giannis had not signed his extension and was going on a media tour talking about it. Pressure was applied and the team acquiesced.

Here is where we enter the speculation zone. Was Griffin pitched a different version of the team then the one he ended up with? Maybe. At the time we hired Griffin, we had not yet resigned Khris or Brook. We had not yet traded for Dame. Griffin's defensive system requires long, athletic, smart players to aggressively trap the ball handler and generate turnovers. That's not Brook, or Khris at his age, and it's certainly not Dame over Jrue. It's clear that once the season started we did not have the personnel to run Griff's system the way he envisioned. Sadly for him, he wasn't able to adapt and had to be fired despite his record. Anyone who watches the Bucks regularly could tell something was very wrong with this team from the very beginning. The players did not enjoy playing his system, and they never bought in. This firing had to happen. I was calling for the firing in the preseason which is, I know, insane. But it really has been that obvious for that long that this would never work. This firing had to happen.

So then maybe the right call should be to let Joe Prunty be the interim coach for the rest of the season and weigh your options later. But timelines you know? Boys getting older, window not wide open, make hay while that sun is shining, etc. Ownership is not paying these huge luxury tax bills to fuck around, they want a coach with championship experience in here right now. Giannis has by now signed his extension, so his opinion no longer matters quite as much. And so, Doc.

As a die hard Bucks fan, it is my fate to find a reason to root for Doc now. To believe in him even. At least until he proves me wrong, which he likely will. So here goes. I think Doc is roughly equivalent to Bud as a coach. Probably a little worse. But he will put in a sensible system that works. Good relationships with the players (at least until he has to throw someone under the bus after an embarrassing playoff collapse). Refusal to make adjustments in the playoffs. But baseline, good enough to win a title with a bit of luck. Maybe he's just had the misfortune of coaching a bunch of chokers after Boston. Maybe merely competent coaching will be good enough with the talent on the roster. Maybe, maybe, maybe...

I'm not thrilled with any of this. Most of the wounds are self-inflicted by the front office or Giannis himself. But, I think we are more likely to win a title today than we were a few days ago. Yes, even with Doc.

The Pistons, without Cade Cunningham, just took down the Thunder, the team with the second best record in the league. The Thunder weren’t even missing any key players. 🤯

Unrelated: the Lakers and Warriors put on one of the best games I’ve seen this season.

Back
Top Bottom