• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

News 15 minute Super Mario Bros Wonder Direct August 31st at 10 am EDT

My hopes/dreams:
  • Rosalina unlockable (world with gravity changing wonder flowers);
  • Pauline unlockable (realistic city themed world);
  • major new game changing mechanic;
  • characters indeed have unique transformations;
  • online co-op confirmed;
  • new game modes and mini games revealed;
  • Charles Martinet and Miyamoto section;
  • new VA presented;
  • game features more VA and cutscenes and has a somewhat interesting story/progression.

It's time to knock that armless elf's teeth out of his mouth as The People's Plumber leaps his way to GOTY 2023.

Mario Wonder is a GaaS that will add new worlds and characters over the course of the next two years.

Also never before seen BATTLE PASSES for a 2D platformer!

Edit: Joking BTW. :p

So we've finally confirmation that super Mario wonder is not a big release. It's not even going to be featured in the next general direct. Dring was right all along
Can't tell if sarcasm but this is a direct lol

Mario Wonder is a GaaS that will add new worlds and characters over the course of the next two years.

Also never before seen BATTLE PASSES for a 2D platformer!

Edit: Joking BTW. :p
Sorry sir, but this isn’t the sonic superstars thread

That's because NFTs were just speculative investment schemes equivalent to gambling whereas AI could legitimately produce a lot more content for them for the same amount of inputs.

Nintendo, like most other gaming companies, is investing in AI right now.

Investing in AI is not the same as investing in AI voice acting or AI art which I'm talking about in this case. AI is a big part of the software development. Do you have any source that Nintendo is investing in AI art/va instead of simple AI software?

The ESRB rating lists In-Game Purchases.
They finally did it...

Fischer had previously contacted Nintendo with his ideas last June and said he was prompted to reach out again by Facebook’s recent $16 billion acquisition of Whatsapp. “We believe Nintendo can create very profitable games based on in-game revenue models with the right development team,” he wrote. “Just think of paying 99 cents just to get Mario to jump a little higher.”

I'm guessing this will be composed of seven minutes of level gameplay, three minutes of co-op minigame gameplay, a short video from Charles Martinet, and an announcement of a Mario Wonder OLED and AMIIBO. I don't think we're looking at many gameplay surprises here.

I'm torn on whether to watch this or not. I usually do the media blackout thing after the first trailer, but I'm really really curious to see if this is actually going to be a proper evolution to the 2D Mario series. The first trailer honestly didn't do too much for me, it still reminds me far too much of NSMB. I'm kinda leaning towards watching it, and I hope they go full on weird with it.

I'm torn on whether to watch this or not. I usually do the media blackout thing after the first trailer, but I'm really really curious to see if this is actually going to be a proper evolution to the 2D Mario series. The first trailer honestly didn't do too much for me, it still reminds me far too much of NSMB. I'm kinda leaning towards watching it, and I hope they go full on weird with it.
If you're talking about the artstyle, this shares very little with the NSMB Series.

If you're talking about the artstyle, this shares very little with the NSMB Series.

Nah, it very much looks and sounds a lot like NSMB, and I've heard many people share the same sentiment. There are some difference of course, and it does seem slightly more interesting audiovisually, the animations for example, but I want to see them take it much, much farther than what they showed us in the first trailer.

Nah, it very much looks and sounds a lot like NSMB, and I've heard many people share the same sentiment. There are some difference of course, and it does seem slightly more interesting audiovisually, the animations for example, but I want to see them take it much, much farther than what they showed us in the first trailer.
Uh no amigo, many people have expressed the opposite in fact. The change in artstyle is very evident with comic book, dream-like aesthetic.

Last edited:
Hoping a tease for more playable characters

rosalina-super-mario.gif

Mario Party Superstars also have "In-App Purchases", yet nothing came from it that has purchasable additional content. That might change, who knows, but it's not likely at this point.

Thank you for reading.

I keep seeing this and it's just like, how? What is giving people the impression that this is the route they're going in?
Video games aren't required to hire SAG-AFTRA talent, at the moment, and we have all heard and read the horror stories of how video game voice actors have been treated in the past 12-18 months.

My hopes/dreams:
  • Rosalina unlockable (world with gravity changing wonder flowers);
  • Pauline unlockable (realistic city themed world);
  • major new game changing mechanic;
  • characters indeed have unique transformations;
  • online co-op confirmed;
  • new game modes and mini games revealed;
  • Charles Martinet and Miyamoto section;
  • new VA presented;
  • game features more VA and cutscenes and has a somewhat interesting story/progression.
I'd love it if the map has multiple paths kinda like World of Light in Smash - but on smaller scale obviously. Wish they had ditched lives but oh well, at least they removed the timer.

One of my absolute favourite aspects of Mario World will always be the world map. Every time I saw a red dot when I played it for the first time, my heart was leaping. It was so much fun to seek out the keys and the keyholes to see just what kind of path would open up in the world map.

It felt almost metroidvania at times, to sort of really dig down into the secrets of the map and it was so satisfying to see all of these unexpected routes and stages open up in front of you. Then it all culminated in Star World and later, Special World. To be so tremendously rewarded just for being curious was such an awesome experience.

That is one of the reasons that I hold NSMBU so dear - it reintroduced the concept and has a glorious world map that brought back some of that magic. But the secrets were fewer than in Mario World, and it all just didn’t go the whole way.

The world map of Wonder looked quite simple and level select-y from what the trailer showed. But here’s hoping that there’s more to it than that.

This billbil-kun account on Twitter (i ain't calling that X) said that there's going to be a new OLED model, "Mario Red", coming soon.

I'd guess if that is legit, this is another thing we're going to see in the Mario Direct.

This billbil-kun account on Twitter (i ain't calling that X) said that there's going to be a new OLED model, "Mario Red", coming soon.

I'd guess if that is legit, this is another thing we're going to see in the Mario Direct.
Anything anyone could’ve saw coming.

For what it's worth, this person has been 100% correct so far.

NSMBU had paid DLC? Super Mario Odyssey had paid DLC?

You didn't even list the last two super mario platforming games correctly if you absolutely had to be so smarmy, you could at least make sure you weren't wrong, since it was obvious to everyone else what the discussion was.

New_Super_Luigi_U.jpg

2.jpg

You didn't even list the last two super mario platforming games correctly if you absolutely had to be so smarmy, you could at least make sure you weren't wrong, since it was obvious to everyone else what the discussion was.

New_Super_Luigi_U.jpg

2.jpg
I always thought NSLU was a standalone game. NSMB2 did have paid DLC tho. My brain seemingly forgot 3D World and Odyssey were the last two platforming games XD

I always thought NSLU was a standalone game. NSMB2 did have paid DLC tho. My brain seemingly forgot 3D World and Odyssey were the last two platforming games XD
It's like Torna, it did have a stand alone release, but it was also available as dlc.

Uh no amigo, many people have expressed the opposite in fact. The change in artstyle is very evident with comic book, dream-like aesthetic.

The character models are amazing, but the environments and backgrounds still look very much like NSMB. I still don't understand why they chose to make it look so similar if they were trying to give it a new look, but maybe they didn't want it to be too removed from what younger generations have known Mario as for the last 15 years.

Last edited:
Since we're speaking of the artstyle, there was this still on the JP website. I think it looks kind of cool.

Maybe it's called the Wonder Kingdom? Seems like a country separated from the Mushroom Kingdom by the sea.

The first footage we got had mentions of a place called "Flower Kingdom", so I'd assume this is said Flower Kingdom.
Plus, y'know, there's... flowers everywhere.

The character models are amazing, but the environments and backgrounds still look very much like NSMB. I still don't understand why they chose to make it look so similar if they were trying to give it a new look, but maybe they didn't want it to be too removed from what younger generations have known Mario as for the last 15 years.
I think one of the major changes in comparison to the NSMB games is that it seems the background now seemingly has multiple layers with enemies/NPCs on multiple of those layers. I can see they're trying to make the world feel more alive, a thing the NSMB games had a problem with.

Dunno if anyone else already did it but I was curious and checked through the YouTube keywords for the stream. Nothing really interesting to see but may as well report back the results.

US only has the most basic tags (and every other worldwide upload I checked was pretty similar):
nintendo, game, gameplay, fun, video game, adventure, play, switch, nintendo switch

The Japanese upload though has a few names at the end, but there's no new faces we didn't already know were in the game (Luigi, Peach, Toad, Bowser, Daisy, Yoshi, Flower):
Game, VideoGame, ゲーム, ビデオゲーム, Video Game (Industry), 任天堂, ニンテンドー, Nintendo, sv_nintendo, Switch, スイッチ, Nintendo Direct, Direct, ダイレクト, ルイージ, ピーチ, キノピオ, クッパ, デイジー, ヨッシー, フラワー

There might be some connective tissue there, but if you look at comparisons between this and NSMBU, the change in artstyle should be obvious., Every game had this plain, desaturated, look to it(with the exception of maybe NSMB2 that at least try to look visually colorful). There were so similar looking that nobody would fault you if you thought the NSMBU was a HD re-release of NSMBW or or that NSMB2 was just a 3DS remaster of the first NSMB, with some elements of NSMBW. Hell, that game mostly had re-used tracks from NSMBW, just with a whole lot of bahs. Not to mention that everyone single one of them started and ended the same way.

P.S: I will exclude the original NSMB a little here because not only do I think it looked solid for the system it released on, this game AT LEAST had original bosses and enemies, something the later games failed to have(especially 2 and U).

Last edited:
Nintendo hires people to sing literal gibberish in Splatoon. The notion of them suddenly using AI makes little sense.

Back
Top Bottom