• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST8| Press Your (Nintendo Direct) Luck!

sees 2023 and 2021

Metroid fans unite
The way we got one of the best 2D metroid game and also one of the best remaster with Prime is crazy, since before the Switch the last main line Metroid game was other M, which is crazy to think about.

Hopefully we'll see prime 4 this holiday and i'm hoping it's the Switch Swansong title.

lebron-james-crying-hug.gif

From the last time we did this back in March, my Switch year ranking is:

2022 > 2021 > 2023 > 2020 > 2017 > 2019 > 2018 > 2024 Jan - April

Favorite 2024 Switch games so far - Under Night In-Birth II Sys Celes (Current Switch GOTY!), Mario Vs Donkey Kong (it's great!), Side Order (also great!), Princess Peach Showtime (I like it more than it's good!), and Pepper Grinder (Don't sleep on this!)

I definitely can understand people down on 2024 so far if Magical Girls and the beauty of the Ocean are not for you lol. More people need to play UNI2...

From the last time we did this back in March, my Switch year ranking is:

2022 > 2021 > 2023 > 2020 > 2017 > 2019 > 2018 > 2024 Jan - April

Favorite 2024 Switch games so far - Under Night In-Birth II Sys Celes (Current Switch GOTY!), Mario Vs Donkey Kong (it's great!), Side Order (also great!), Princess Peach Showtime (I like it more than it's good!), and Pepper Grinder (Don't sleep on this!)

I definitely can understand people down on 2024 so far if Magical Girls and the beauty of the Ocean are not for you lol. More people need to play UNI2...
Hmm, it's rather hard to choose a proper list for myself, but I'll give it a try:

2022 = 2017 > 2023 > 2019 > 2021 > 2020 > 2018 > 2024 so far

It's a very hard list to really judge but there's a bunch of good titles each year that I love, but it's basically impossible to really choose "the perfect year". That said, I'm proud as a community that we're bashing 2018 because sweet jesus that year fucking sucked outside of Smash Ultimate and Torna.

More people need to play UNI2...
I really want to try it. I played so much fighting games when I got into them with Tekken 8 that I'm more or less taking a break aside from a little Street Fighter. It's kind of a hard genre to juggle multiple games with now that I've found my main one. But it does look really cool. Did they ever implement crossplay? I'd admittedly get it on PC.

I really want to try it. I played so much fighting games when I got into them with Tekken 8 that I'm more or less taking a break aside from a little Street Fighter. It's kind of a hard genre to juggle multiple games with now that I've found my main one. But it does look really cool. Did they ever implement crossplay? I'd admittedly get it on PC.
Yeah if you want to get proficient, especially starting out with fighting games, you’ll probably want to focus on a few. With 2D fighters a lot of skills transfer though between games which helps a ton. Yeah no crossplay yet, so probably a much bigger online player pool on PS4 or PC. I plan to double dip on PS4 down the road for that reason.

I got an official and improved releases of all Turrican games anywhere, anytime, on my Switch.
How can I not love this console ?

2018 actually had games. This is more like 2016 and 2020 aka less than the bare minimum
I dont know why you say it like that when there are extremely good and valid reasons why those years in particular had a smaller line up of games compared to others, and this year (2024) has good reasons as well, buy we're so far averaging 1 game a month from Nintendo, so it's objectively not a drought unless the 2nd half of this year actually has nothing. Even then, 2020 in particular had fantastic 1st party games, several of them actually. I bought more 1st party games in 2020 than I did the final years of the Gamecube. Now the GC was a bad time to be a Nintendo fan, the droughts were endless until the Wii saved us. You likely never owned a GC or Wii U if you think now is a dry period!

I dont know why you say it like that when there are extremely good and valid reasons why those years in particular had a smaller line up of games compared to others, and this year (2024) has good reasons as well, buy we're so far averaging 1 game a month from Nintendo, so it's objectively not a drought unless the 2nd half of this year actually has nothing. Even then, 2020 in particular had fantastic 1st party games, several of them actually. I bought more 1st party games in 2020 than I did the final years of the Gamecube. Now the GC was a bad time to be a Nintendo fan, the droughts were endless until the Wii saved us. You likely never owned a GC or Wii U if you think now is a dry period!
I've owned Nintendo systems day and date since the 64. This is a dry spell on par with the Wii U lol

I've owned Nintendo systems day and date since the 64. This is a dry spell on par with the Wii U lol
To me it feels a little odd that full on remakes are being viewed as filler in the same way lower budget remasters are.
It's fair if you've played them before and don't care, but I dunno, I feel like TTYD isn't really just filler for a gap with no releases in the same way something much lower budget like Luigi's Mansion 2 or HAGI ports, it's something that clearly got the same amount of care as a new Paper Mario did.

Plus, even without counting those remakes, we already got more new first party games this year than the WiiU did in 2016 by this same time.

I think we need to give Nintendo another month before we give up hope on 2024. Though as far as gaming is concerned this may be the most boring year I've personally seen, at least as far as bigger developers are concerned.

What time Monday here in the states will the Japan May 7th briefing's information be up?
I'm not 100% confident, but using this thread as a reference point, it looks like it should be about 11:30 PM PT on 5/6 / 2:30 AM ET on 5/7. EDIT: That November 2023 earnings thread is funny because there are people hoping for a Switch 2 announcement in it.

Something else I noticed looking at Nintendo's previous earnings releases is that the Zelda movie announcement came the day after the initial earnings release, instead releasing on the same day as the briefing.

I think we need to give Nintendo another month before we give up hope on 2024. Though as far as gaming is concerned this may be the most boring year I've personally seen, at least as far as bigger developers are concerned.
Sony last year literally only released Spider-Man 2 for the entire year. We’re practically drowning in games on Switch once you start comparing to some GameCube or Wii U years in terms of 1st party support, and we clearly don’t know what the 2nd half contains.

There were 2 years in the GameCube era where I bought 3 first party games or less. So far this year, I’ve already bought 3 Nintendo games, with a 4th at the end of this month with TTYD. I’d say we’re doing just fine, and judging by how well the Switch is still selling worldwide in its eighth year and how big of a flop the GameCube was, clearly the Switch’s line up right now is perfectly fine for most people while people gave up on the GC due to the huge droughts. I’d say the consolidation was 1000% worth it as I feel we get more games than ever compared to prior Nintendo systems.

There were 2 years in the GameCube era where I bought 3 first party games or less. So far this year, I’ve already bought 3 Nintendo games, with a 4th at the end of this month with TTYD. I’d say we’re doing just fine, and judging by how well the Switch is still selling worldwide in its eighth year and how big of a flop the GameCube was, clearly the Switch’s line up right now is perfectly fine for most people while people gave up on the GC due to the huge droughts. I’d say the consolidation was 1000% worth it as I feel we get more games than ever compared to prior Nintendo systems.
The combined first party output of the GameCube and GBA every year from 2001-2006 is significantly more quantity wise than any year of the Switch era. Your post here is just a matter of taste

Last edited:
There were 2 years in the GameCube era where I bought 3 first party games or less. So far this year, I’ve already bought 3 Nintendo games, with a 4th at the end of this month with TTYD
To be fair, if this is criteria, I literally only bought one first party game in 2018, Smash.

I did eventually get Bayonetta 2 and Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition, but that's still only 3 : P

I addressed that already and that doesn't excuse the droughts when they could be making smaller handheld-style games alongside the big projects
They... literally do make smaller projects between big ones? F-Zero 99 is still going strong and a great example of a lower budget small release, WarioWare Move It was just last year, and NWC NES Edition will be another budget smaller title released at less than full price.

BTW, what drought? Endless Ocean came out a few days ago.

Last edited:
I have to say I'm surprised by the doom and gloom of the this thread. We might not get a new Mario or Zelda, but a high-profile Splatoon DLC has just been released, Metroid lies in the horizon with Fire Emblem 4 and we had plenty of cult classics re-releases. They didn't remake Yoshi's New Island, they remade Mario RPG, Paper Mario 2 and Another Code! As a Nintendo fan, this year has been good for me, and I'm confident we still have some great unannounced games (... Like DK).

imagine saying we’re in a Nintendo software drought in a month with literally two First Party Nintendo releases
In all fairness, almost every game released recently has been a remake/remaster and that doesn't seem to be changing any time soon. It's not exactly a drought, but the water isn't clean.

I have one of those NSO game tickets expiring on the 10th lol lowkey hoping for a direct before then that announces something I care about for pre order that I can use it on

in all fairness, Nintendo's releasing basically no games this season if we just disregard all the games Nintendo is releasing this season

Yes teacher I am citing wikipedia, you cannot stop me!

Game Boy Advance
  1. Super Mario Advance
  2. F-Zero: Maximum Velocity
  3. Kuru Kuru Kururin
  4. Napoleon
  5. Tactics Ogre: The Knight of Lodis
  6. Mario Kart: Super Circuit
  7. Golden Sun
  8. Wario Land 4
  9. Advance Wars
  10. Super Mario World: Super Mario Advance 2
  11. Hamtaro: Ham-Ham Heartbreak
  12. Golden Sun: The Lost Age
  13. Yoshi's Island: Super Mario Advance 3
  14. Game & Watch Gallery Advance
  15. Kirby: Nightmare in Dream Land
  16. Metroid Fusion
  17. Pokémon Ruby Version and Pokémon Sapphire Version
  18. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past & Four Swords
  19. WarioWare, Inc.: Mega Microgame$!
  20. Fire Emblem
  21. Hamtaro: Rainbow Rescue
  22. Donkey Kong Country
  23. Advance Wars 2: Black Hole Rising
  24. Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros. 3
  25. Pokémon Pinball: Ruby & Sapphire
  26. Final Fantasy Tactics Advance
  27. Top Gear Rally
  28. Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga
  29. Sword of Mana
  30. F-Zero: GP Legend
  31. Pokémon FireRed Version and Pokémon LeafGreen Version
  32. Metroid Zero Mission
  33. Kirby & The Amazing Mirror
  34. Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories
  35. Mario Golf: Advance Tour
  36. Mario vs. Donkey Kong
  37. Donkey Kong Country 2
  38. Final Fantasy I & II: Dawn of Souls
  39. Hamtaro: Ham-Ham Games
  40. Mario Pinball Land
  41. Pokémon Emerald Version
  42. Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones
  43. WarioWare: Twisted!
  44. The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap
  45. Yoshi Topsy-Turvy
  46. Mario Party Advance
  47. Dynasty Warriors Advance
  48. DK: King of Swing
  49. The Tower SP
  50. Mario Tennis: Power Tour
  51. Final Fantasy IV Advance
  52. Dr. Mario & Puzzle League
  53. Drill Dozer
  54. Polarium Advance
  55. Donkey Kong Country 3
  56. Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Red Rescue Team
  57. Tales of Phantasia
  58. Final Fantasy V Advance
  59. Final Fantasy VI Advance
[*]

GameCube
  1. Luigi's Mansion
  2. Wave Race: Blue Storm
  3. Pikmin
  4. Super Smash Bros. Melee
  5. Animal Crossing
  6. NBA Courtside 2002
  7. Cubivore: Survival of the Fittest
  8. Doshin the Giant
  9. Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem
  10. Super Mario Sunshine
  11. Star Fox Adventures
  12. Mario Party 4
  13. Metroid Prime
  14. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time / Master Quest
  15. The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker
  16. Wario World
  17. Kirby Air Ride
  18. F-Zero GX
  19. Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour
  20. Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles
  21. WarioWare, Inc.: Mega Party Games!
  22. Mario Kart: Double Dash!!
  23. Mario Party 5
  24. 1080° Avalanche
  25. Donkey Konga
  26. Custom Robo
  27. The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures
  28. Pikmin 2
  29. Donkey Konga 2
  30. Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door
  31. Mario Power Tennis
  32. Metroid Prime 2: Echoes
  33. Mario Party 6
  34. Donkey Kong Jungle Beat
  35. Star Fox Assault
  36. Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance
  37. Chibi-Robo!
  38. Dance Dance Revolution: Mario Mix
  39. Mario Superstar Baseball
  40. Geist
  41. Battalion Wars
  42. Mario Party 7
  43. Super Mario Strikers
  44. Baten Kaitos Origins
  45. Odama
  46. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
[*]

Nintendo Switch
  1. 1-2 Switch
  2. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  3. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
  4. ARMS
  5. Splatoon 2
  6. Pokkén Tournament DX
  7. Fire Emblem Warriors
  8. Super Mario Odyssey
  9. Snipperclips Plus: Cut It Out, Together!
  10. Xenoblade Chronicles 2
  11. Dragon Quest Builders
  12. Bayonetta
  13. Bayonetta 2
  14. Kirby Star Allies
  15. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
  16. Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition
  17. Sushi Striker: The Way of Sushido
  18. Mario Tennis Aces
  19. Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
  20. Go Vacation
  21. Super Mario Party
  22. The World Ends with You: Final Remix
  23. Pokémon Let's Go Pikachu! and Pokémon Let's Go Eevee!
  24. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
  25. Fitness Boxing
  26. New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe
  27. Travis Strikers Again: No More Heroes
  28. Yoshi's Crafted World
  29. Super Mario Maker 2
  30. Dragon Quest Builders 2
  31. Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3: The Black Order
  32. Fire Emblem: Three Houses
  33. Astral Chain
  34. Tetris 99
  35. DAEMON X MACHINA
  36. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
  37. Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age - Definitve Edition
  38. Ring Fit Adventure
  39. Luigi's Mansion 3
  40. Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield
  41. Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore
  42. Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Rescue Team DX
  43. Animal Crossing: New Horizons
  44. Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition
  45. Clubhouse Games: 51 Worldwide Classics
  46. Paper Mario: The Origami King
  47. Super Mario 3D All-Stars
  48. Mario Kart Live: Home Circuit
  49. Cadence of Hyrule: Crypt of the NecroDancer feat. The Legend of Zelda - Complete Edition
  50. Pikmin 3 Deluxe
  51. Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity
  52. Fitness Boxing 2: Rhythm & Exercise
  53. Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury
  54. New Pokémon Snap
  55. Miitopia
  56. DC Super Hero Girls: Teen Power
  57. Game Builder Garage
  58. Mario Golf: Super Rush
  59. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD
  60. WarioWare: Get It Together!
  61. Metroid Dread
  62. Mario Party Superstars
  63. Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Pokémon Shining Pearl
  64. Big Brain Academy: Brain vs. Brain
  65. Pokémon Legends: Arceus
  66. Triangle Strategy
  67. Kirby and the Forgotten Land
  68. Nintendo Switch Sports
  69. Mario Strikers: Battle League
  70. Fire Emblem Warriors: Three Hopes
  71. Live A Live
  72. Xenoblade Chronicles 3
  73. Splatoon 3
  74. Bayonetta 3
  75. Pokémon Scarlet and Pokémon Violet
  76. Fire Emblem Engage
  77. Kirby's Return to Dream Land Deluxe
  78. Bayonetta Origins: Cereza and the Lost Demon
  79. Advance Wars 1+2: Re-Boot Camp
  80. The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
  81. Everybody 1-2-Switch!
  82. Pikmin 1+2
  83. Pikmin 4
  84. Detective Pikachu Returns
  85. Super Mario Bros. Wonder
  86. WarioWare: Move It!
  87. Super Mario RPG
  88. Another Code: Recollection
  89. Mario vs. Donkey Kong
  90. Princess Peach: Showtime!
  91. Endless Ocean Luminous
  92. Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door (Unreleased)
  93. Luigi's Mansion 2 HD (Unreleased)
  94. Nintendo World Championships: NES Edition (Unreleased)
  95. Metroid Prime 4 (Unreleased)
[*]

Looks to be around the same to me. I did exclude digital-only games on Switch and Japan exclusives in general with GBA had a lot of, but it's not like you were playing those back then (or now).

There will likely be a Direct in June. Nintendo obviously wants people to focus on the games they are currently trying to sell you first. Just got to wait a month or so and we'll likely have some new games to talk about.

I feel like it'd be far easier and very fair to just say you weren't interested in the first party games so far this year than trying to say we are in a drought given we've basically had a new thing at least every month for a considerably long stretch now (even if not everything is new, new which I feel you there). It's also hard to directly compare release periods exactly in the sense Switch not only has its main games, but also DLC and NSO releases.

There is no software drought. Remakes and remasters are software. We could make an argument there’s a “drought “ of original games

Nintendo Switch
  1. 1-2 Switch
  2. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  3. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
  4. ARMS
  5. Splatoon 2
  6. Pokkén Tournament DX
  7. Fire Emblem Warriors
  8. Super Mario Odyssey
  9. Snipperclips Plus: Cut It Out, Together!
  10. Xenoblade Chronicles 2
  11. Dragon Quest Builders
  12. Bayonetta
  13. Bayonetta 2
  14. Kirby Star Allies
  15. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
  16. Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition
  17. Sushi Striker: The Way of Sushido
  18. Mario Tennis Aces
  19. Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
  20. Go Vacation
  21. Super Mario Party
  22. The World Ends with You: Final Remix
  23. Pokémon Let's Go Pikachu! and Pokémon Let's Go Eevee!
  24. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
  25. Fitness Boxing
  26. New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe
  27. Travis Strikers Again: No More Heroes
  28. Yoshi's Crafted World
  29. Super Mario Maker 2
  30. Dragon Quest Builders 2
  31. Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3: The Black Order
  32. Fire Emblem: Three Houses
  33. Astral Chain
  34. Tetris 99
  35. DAEMON X MACHINA
  36. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
  37. Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age - Definitve Edition
  38. Ring Fit Adventure
  39. Luigi's Mansion 3
  40. Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield
  41. Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore
  42. Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Rescue Team DX
  43. Animal Crossing: New Horizons
  44. Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition
  45. Clubhouse Games: 51 Worldwide Classics
  46. Paper Mario: The Origami King
  47. Super Mario 3D All-Stars
  48. Mario Kart Live: Home Circuit
  49. Cadence of Hyrule: Crypt of the NecroDancer feat. The Legend of Zelda - Complete Edition
  50. Pikmin 3 Deluxe
  51. Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity
  52. Fitness Boxing 2: Rhythm & Exercise
  53. Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury
  54. New Pokémon Snap
  55. Miitopia
  56. DC Super Hero Girls: Teen Power
  57. Game Builder Garage
  58. Mario Golf: Super Rush
  59. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD
  60. WarioWare: Get It Together!
  61. Metroid Dread
  62. Mario Party Superstars
  63. Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Pokémon Shining Pearl
  64. Big Brain Academy: Brain vs. Brain
  65. Pokémon Legends: Arceus
  66. Triangle Strategy
  67. Kirby and the Forgotten Land
  68. Nintendo Switch Sports
  69. Mario Strikers: Battle League
  70. Fire Emblem Warriors: Three Hopes
  71. Live A Live
  72. Xenoblade Chronicles 3
  73. Splatoon 3
  74. Bayonetta 3
  75. Pokémon Scarlet and Pokémon Violet
  76. Fire Emblem Engage
  77. Kirby's Return to Dream Land Deluxe
  78. Bayonetta Origins: Cereza and the Lost Demon
  79. Advance Wars 1+2: Re-Boot Camp
  80. The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
  81. Everybody 1-2-Switch!
  82. Pikmin 1+2
  83. Pikmin 4
  84. Detective Pikachu Returns
  85. Super Mario Bros. Wonder
  86. WarioWare: Move It!
  87. Super Mario RPG
  88. Another Code: Recollection
  89. Mario vs. Donkey Kong
  90. Princess Peach: Showtime!
  91. Endless Ocean Luminous
  92. Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door (Unreleased)
  93. Luigi's Mansion 2 HD (Unreleased)
  94. Nintendo World Championships: NES Edition (Unreleased)
  95. Metroid Prime 4 (Unreleased)
[*]

Looks to be around the same to me. I did exclude digital-only games on Switch and Japan exclusives in general with GBA had a lot of, but it's not like you were playing those back then (or now).

And again.... Games like Famicom Detective Club or Part Time UFO are missing. We're easily over 100 games from Nintendo. Incredible ! :)

Last edited:
We are not in a drought purely when looking at number of titles but that’s a terrible standard to measure it

When it comes to original games and more importantly quality games as measured by critics reviews we are in bad shape. To my knowledge no switch exclusive this year has cracked the 80s or the 90s on Metacritic. That sucks!

I put 2019 first for my favorite Switch year because on top of all the bangers they probably had one of their best E3 ever with a great presentation, a cool show floor and the best selection of games shown on Treehouse. Little did I know it was also the last traditional E3. Great time to be a Switch owner and follow all this along the community.

I addressed that already and that doesn't excuse the droughts when they could be making smaller handheld-style games alongside the big projects
We are not in a drought purely when looking at number of titles but that’s a terrible standard to measure it

When it comes to original games and more importantly quality games as measured by critics reviews we are in bad shape. To my knowledge no switch exclusive this year has cracked the 80s or the 90s on Metacritic. That sucks!
I don’t think ‘exclusives only’ is a great way to measure droughts either, or wanting first party only exclusive smaller releases, when part of the reason there’s shedloads of games to play on Switch is multiplat release of smaller titles. There’s pretty much always something worth playing when wading through the dozens of games on the eshop each month if you’re looking for smaller titles, the eshop threads here do a good job of highlighting them, they just aren’t first party games. And that’s a good thing- the variety is awesome. We don’t really have ‘droughts’ any more unless the criteria is really, really narrow like ‘high-scoring exclusive first-party release’.

Last edited:
I have one of those NSO game tickets expiring on the 10th lol lowkey hoping for a direct before then that announces something I care about for pre order that I can use it on
I might be completely wrong but I think you’re not able to use vouchers for pre-orders if they expire before the game is released (or a week before w/ the preloading, not sure?)

Not every statement has to be fair and justified. This is a discussion forum not a courtroom, we don't have to arrive at a universal consensus on objective truth. Different perspectives can exist in tension without that having to mean conflict.

There haven't been many highly reviewed games exclusive to Switch this year that aren't remakes.

That's disappointing, and people aren't going to suddenly become at peace with it because you prove them objectively wrong about a drought with facts and logic.

I don’t think ‘exclusives only’ is a great way to measure droughts either, or wanting first party only exclusive smaller releases, when part of the reason there’s shedloads of games to play on Switch is multiplat release of smaller titles. There’s pretty much always something worth playing when wading through the dozens of games on the eshop each month if you’re looking for smaller titles, the eshop threads here do a good job of highlighting them, they just aren’t first party games. And that’s a good thing- the variety is awesome. We don’t really have ‘droughts’ any more unless the criteria is really, really narrow like ‘high-scoring exclusive first-party release’.
Switch has been getting fewer and fewer of the big multiplatform games tho

And many of us Nintendo nerds simply like that EPD Retro or Intelligent System touch

Not every statement has to be fair and justified. This is a discussion forum not a courtroom, we don't have to arrive at a universal consensus on objective truth. Different perspectives can exist in tension without that having to mean conflict.

There haven't been many highly reviewed games exclusive to Switch this year that aren't remakes.

That's disappointing, and people aren't going to suddenly become at peace with it because you prove them objectively wrong about a drought with facts and logic.
This is true, but also wanting a constant supply of highly reviewed exclusives in year 8 of a console’s lifespan or considering it a drought is a bit of an unrealistic standard to want, even if it’s disappointing that it isn’t met. I don’t expect people to ‘be at peace with it’ (c’mon, we’re talking about video games here), they can have whatever opinion they want, but on the other hand it’s a situation with a pretty reasonable explanation. 🤷‍♂️

I think everything I’m looking forward to this year is a multiplat or a port, and Nintendo haven’t told us what their plan is from this summer onwards yet. That’s OK (to me, at least). I expect most of their games development is focused on the next console at this point, and there’s absolutely shedloads of smaller titles to play until that happens.

Tbh I don't care if a game is exclusive or not. If a game is Switch exclusive does that mean I'll enjoy it more than a multiplatform game. No. Switch this year has got plenty of high quality games, they're just not Nintendo games, so I guess there's your "drought".

This is true, but also wanting a constant supply of highly reviewed exclusives in year 8 of a console’s lifespan or considering it a drought is a bit of an unrealistic standard to want, even if it’s disappointing that it isn’t met. I don’t expect people to ‘be at peace with it’ (c’mon, we’re talking about video games here), they can have whatever opinion they want, but on the other hand it’s a situation with a pretty reasonable explanation. 🤷‍♂️

I think everything I’m looking forward to this year is a multiplat or a port, and Nintendo haven’t told us what their plan is from this summer onwards yet. That’s OK (to me, at least). I expect most of their games development is focused on the next console at this point, and there’s absolutely shedloads of smaller titles to play until that happens.
You're right, but I think it's easier to accept a slower release cadence (of original exclusives that aren't swimming in sevens) if a successor has been announced. But right now, there's no official word on that. As far as Nintendo is publicly saying, the Switch is their future, and right now (again in terms of officially available information) that future isn't looking bright

I feel like we should at least couch the Wii U comparisons until we know how the second half of the year looks like. The final nine months of the Wii U only had two first-party releases, and I would be mystified if the Switch's first-party release schedule for July 2024-March 2025 is that barren.

It's a very telling microcosm of the Nintendo fanbase that the February Direct Partner Showcase doesn't count as a Direct because it concentrated on third party games and only announced one new low budget first party game and it's exactly that kind of weird reality-bending discourse that powers the "software drought" dynamic. It's also very funny seeing this conversation happen literally 3 days after the latest new first party game launched and after two consecutive new first party launches.

You can be dissatisfied with the current state of things without trying to bend reality into "SOFTWARE DROUGHT". I think 2024 has been pretty boring; I think Nintendo have very obviously felt the need to go through a low-investment spell on Switch in terms of development; I'm buying Paper Mario without being particularly invested in it and that's my first Nintendo purchase this year. But I don't need to manufacture a narrative about software droughts to justify my own disappointment and neither does anybody else; especially not when the most obvious and likely turn of events is that there's a Direct in the next month or two which confirms further games. We already know another budget offering is on the way thanks to Pyoro and ESRB.

I am yet to start Unicorn Overlord and I didn't get Side Order for Splatoon 3; those things might improve my opinion of the year a little.

I’m not sure how true this is compared to Switch titles

Pokémon Ruby/Sapphire took about 3 years to develop which is roughly comparable to Arceus
TPC have said that Game Freak's development cycles have not changed ever and they realize that maybe that's not a good idea anymore with the backlash to Scarlet/Violet's launch, so I don't really think that's a good example.
https://comicbook.com/gaming/news/pokemon-company-game-releases-takato-utsunomiya-interview/

Back
Top Bottom