• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST8| Press Your (Nintendo Direct) Luck!

I feel like Zero Mission is a better starting point because it's in a middle ground between its predecessor's sensibilities. So from that basis, it's easier to appreciate both Super and Fusion when you get to them, because of the elements ZM has in common with both, despite how different they are from each other. (And I say this as someone who didn't really vibe with ZM on the whole, but I do still think it is a good entry point to the 2D style.)
Co-signing this. If someone is trying to get into the 2D side of the series, I would definitely suggest trying Zero Mission as a solid baseline for the experience. Helps that it's a remake of the very first game, so it also works if you care about the overarching story and want to experience that in order. (Now if Nintendo could add it to GBA NSO at the end of the month as part of the suspected Expansion Pack update, that would be great.)

I can't recommend the series enough. I will say the Prime games are still Metroidvanias first and foremost, and shooters a distant second, so they may still be worth your time; but also yeah, the 2D games are probably a good place to start. Zero Mission is both chronologically earliest and made to be an ideal entry point to the series. I'd still say to give Prime a shot after that to see if you vibe with it, then from there go on to either Prime 2, (my personal favorite!) or skip ahead in the timeline back to the 2D entries with AM2R or Samus Returns.

Either that, or try original NES Metroid and go in release order, if you have a tolerance for older game design and Nintento Hard difficulty. That way, you can get acquainted with the series through its mechanical evolution.

Just whatever you do, don't start with Super or Dread. Both of them are VERY good games, but I've noticed people who start there tend to have a harder time enjoying and appreciating the rest of the series, compared to coming into them from other entries.
Always glad to see another Prime 2 enjoyer.

I'll echo the ZM sentiment. From my anecdotal experience it's been a good game to start people on. Unfortunately since it's not on NSO (yet) it's not a great way to jump into the series at the moment.
Co-signing this. If someone is trying to get into the 2D side of the series, I would definitely suggest trying Zero Mission as a solid baseline for the experience. Helps that it's a remake of the very first game, so it also works if you care about the overarching story and want to experience that in order. (Now if Nintendo could add it to GBA NSO at the end of the month as part of the suspected Expansion Pack update, that would be great.)
Kinda annoying that after waiting all that time for it to come to Wii U VC, we have to wait a while for it to come to NSO. Fingers crossed that it comes this year and that the situation will never repeat again.

Last edited:
TotK’s anniversary got me thinking about the whole series, and I know people have been trying to will this OoT remake into existence, but I’ve got a thought:

Two of the past 4 mainline Zelda games have been “same-world sequels” to the very beloved worlds of ALTTP and BotW. What if OoT (the next most loved world) gets that treatment, how would people feel about that? Like a game set in OoT’s world but an ALBW-like sequel. I’d almost say it’s more likely, given the Zelda team clearly likes the idea.

Would make sense and would make for a good tech demo of what the Switch 2 graphics is capable of.
Yes but its more of an official game announcement rather than a pure tech demo

Like Zelda BOTW teaser at 2014 E3.

3D Mario and 3D Zelda are biggest single player flagship IPs from Nintendo. If Switch 2 is getting 3D Mario at launch I feel they must early show next Zelda at first Switch 2 year.

TotK’s anniversary got me thinking about the whole series, and I know people have been trying to will this OoT remake into existence, but I’ve got a thought:

Two of the past 4 mainline Zelda games have been “same-world sequels” to the very beloved worlds of ALTTP and BotW. What if OoT (the next most loved world) gets that treatment, how would people feel about that? Like a game set in OoT’s world but an ALBW-like sequel. I’d almost say it’s more likely, given the Zelda team clearly likes the idea.
I feel like both A Link Between Worlds and Tears of the Kingdom, at least for me, didn’t really capture what I’d like to see out of world reuse the way other series manage it (like Trails and Yakuza for example), to the extent I kind of hope the Zelda team doesn’t try that again even if I think there is a ton of potential to do awesome things if they did do it right. Their best stab at world reuse for me actually already happened with Ocarina of Time with Master Quest, so in some ways I already feel satisfied there.

As much as I love OOTs world you'd have to expand it and fill it with a lot more content if you wanted to reuse it. I'm also not sure what the story would be considering we already technically got two follow-ups in WW and TP.

As much as I love OOTs world you'd have to expand it and fill it with a lot more content if you wanted to reuse it. I'm also not sure what the story would be considering we already technically got two follow-ups in WW and TP.
Yeah I think a remake would be much more FF7R in scope than a 1:1 remake. But I do think it’s inevitable.

FF VII Remake completely revamps the beginning of the game. It adds story beats and characters. It overhauled, changed, and expanded upon entire areas. The story itself had changes to it. For better or worse, Nintendo's remakes are usually pretty faithful to the original. Zero Mission might have had the most changes. The recent Mario RPG and Link's Awakening remakes were very faithful to the originals with some quality of life improvements.

The Zelda series already reuses characters and locations between games. It a sense, Nintendo remakes Hyrule each generation. So if you make an FF VII style remake for Ocarina of Time, then what's the link between being a remake and just being an actual new Zelda game? You can even argue that TOTK is a remake of Ocarina of Time because it definitely pulls a lot of elements from that game including characters, names, and there's even an obvious call back in one of the memories. Of course TOTK is it's own thing but point is, how many changes can you make before a remake no longer really becomes a remake.

Remakes come with expectations. You expect every character, item, and enemy to be there. You expect Death Mountain to be located in a specific place and look a certain way. You expect these puzzles to be solved the same you did all of those years ago.

So an Ocarina of Time is an interesting prospect. How much do you change? Would a graphical upgrade be sufficient enough? If not, what do you add, what do you change? And if you have to completely overhaul most aspects, then at that point, why not just make it a brand new entry in the series?

An OoT sequel would be better than a safe remake. You'd probably get at least 6 or so new dungeons too. IDK, they'd probably just the resources into an actual new game and do a basic visual overhaul.

Yeah I think a remake would be much more FF7R in scope than a 1:1 remake. But I do think it’s inevitable.
I think FFVII had/has more wiggle room in terms of being a remake/reimagining than OOT. I don't really think either a full reimagining or strict remake is inevitable but given Nintendo's record with remakes I think a remake that just looked like a better OOT3D is most likely.

If they did fully reimagine it I'd be concerned about the gameplay changing or them altering it too much to be honest.

To answer @HockeyBird 's question tho, I think what people mean when they say they want a remake is essentially taking the game and expanding it in every possible. Keeping the same feel and world and characters and story, but making it modern in appearance and scope. It would be inaccurate to call TotK a remake of OOT because it's clearly not the same story, nor the same characters. They probably could get away with changing a lot or adding a lot in regards to a reimagining but I think the biggest point of contention would be the dungeon and story progression. I doubt most would care if Hyrule field was suddenly bigger and had more to find and do, but if they changed the day the dungeons function or the story elements, people would probably be pretty upset.

Nintendo doesn't do those kinds of drastic reminagings unless the game is really outdated and needs it like Metroid 1. I don't think they consider OOT to be that level

Last edited:

OoT's TotK already exists, it's called Twilight Princess

I dunno, I feel like Ocarina of Time doesn't need the FF7R treatment. Not against reimaginings or remakes that really build upon or change things out from the original, and Nintendo clearly isn't themselves (the Metroid remakes and Another Code Recollection immediately come to mind, as does some of the GBA Mario re-releases). But I just don't see the point in drastically expanding upon Ocarina of Time beyond what the 3DS remake already did, especially when there are still other games in the series that could benefit from just being remade period. I also don't see the point making a sequel to the game when it already has anywhere from two to four sequels depending on how you want to treat Twilight Princess and (retroactively) A Link to the Past.

imo I'd probably put it at like 75% chance they remaster the 3DS version of OoT and call it a day, 15% they start doing an actual ground-up "remagining"-style remake that instead turns into a brand-new game, 5% they do a Link Between Worlds-esque "Ocarina of Time 2", 4% they actually release an "Ocarina of Time Remake" that's the sort of thing people have been conditioned to expect by recent remakes like the Resident Evil ones, and maaaybe 1% they do a huge 2-part FF7R-like remake where the 1st half is the child segments up to getting the master sword

In the lore of Ocarina of Time, is there anything stopping Ganondorf from using the Ocarina of Time to time travel? Because if Nintendo did want to do a FFVII-type remake (they don't), it seems like the game is already set up for some twists.

Personally, I expect a fairly faithful remake at some point during the Switch 2's life. For that reason, I'm not expecting it at the June Direct. I think the remake will be quite pretty and might feature an orchestral soundtrack this time, but I doubt it'll feature many gameplay changes besides some smoothing out of controls and animations. It would be interesting to see if/how they change the environments. High-fidelity graphics when the world is still showing the N64's constraints could be weird.

I know Nintendo doesn’t do full re-imaginings. But I think that’s what they would do if they actually would try to do for a remake of their most iconic game of all time. It would absolutely be unprecedented.

I know Nintendo doesn’t do full re-imaginings. But I think that’s what they would do if they actually would try to do for a remake of their most iconic game of all time. It would absolutely be unprecedented.
Just a nitpick, but Ocarina of Time definitely isn't their most iconic game. Super Mario Bros, Super Mario World, Super Mario 64, Wii Sports, Super Mario Galaxy, and Breath of the Wild are all more iconic.

...Ocarina of Time defined 3D adventure games and basically invented the 3D lock on targeting system. BOTW sold more but it's definitively less revolutionary.

...Ocarina of Time defined 3D adventure games and basically invented the 3D lock on targeting system. BOTW sold more but it's definitively less revolutionary.
Revolutionary? Yeah, Ocarina definitely has it beat. Iconic though? I'd argue that Breath of the Wild surpassed it.

Before anyone comes at me, this is not an insult towards Ocarina of Time.

this thread rn:
8qci3y.jpg

an FF7R type remake in scope for Ocarina of Time but without the multi part treatment would basically just be Kakariko village with maybe a bit of the castle lol
I mean if you want to take it literally, sure, but a reimagining of Ocarina with the scale of Rebirth is absolutely something I’m sure has been discussed. I also get why Nintendo would be very hesitant to do it.

Time for a Magic-Man insider exclusive:

Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.

Resident Evil 2 style remake is much more in line with what one could expect than FF7 Remake. FF7 Remake style Ocarina of Time doesn't really make any sense

In the lore of Ocarina of Time, is there anything stopping Ganondorf from using the Ocarina of Time to time travel? Because if Nintendo did want to do a FFVII-type remake (they don't), it seems like the game is already set up for some twists.
The goddess of times not on his side, he doesn't know the song of time, in pot the time travel is done through the master sword, and possibly rauru..
Yeah, he can't.

OoT doesn't have that many assets compared to today's games, I could see an asset remake work fine and not be overwhelming... But I do t see the point

This is actually an insanely good idea
But in OoT you don't time travel using the Ocarina. That was in Majora's Mask butthis was a different realm, different dimension and probably wasn't part of the real world.

I just want the Direct to show the DK game and reveal the return of King K Rool.

Come on, he appeared in Smash like, 6 years ago and he hasn't shown up in a spinoff since, let his big beautiful belly back into the spotlight where it belongs!

But in OoT you don't time travel using the Ocarina. That was in Majora's Mask butthis was a different realm, different dimension and probably wasn't part of the real world.
Ah, very true. I'd combined Majora's Mask and Ocarina of Time. Funny how the titular Ocarina became a lot more powerful in the game where it wasn't the subtitle.

just want the Direct to show the DK game and reveal the return of King K Rool.
I just want a Donkey Kong game to exist and come out this year. We’ve been waiting so long.

I had moved away from Nintendo a bit before the switch, and I really felt that every license on switch had a kind of comeback.

With Star Fox and F-Zero, Donkey Kong is currently the only huge IP of Nintendo not to have had its moment.

And I admit I was a bit irritated, throughout the switch’s lifecycle, to see Zelda fans monopolize the vast majority of conversations before and After the Directs, while they not had reasons to complain. I don’t know if the fanbase has evolved since breath of the wild, but I didn’t have the memory that it was as annoying as that, and I absolutely love Zelda myself.

I just want a Donkey Kong game to exist and come out this year. We’ve been waiting so long.

I had moved away from Nintendo a bit before the switch, and I really felt that every license on switch had a kind of comeback.

With Star Fox and F-Zero, Donkey Kong is currently the only huge IP of Nintendo not to have had its moment.

And I admit I was a bit irritated, throughout the switch’s lifecycle, to see Zelda fans monopolize the vast majority of conversations before and After the Directs, while they not had reasons to complain. I don’t know if the fanbase has evolved since breath of the wild, but I didn’t have the memory that it was as annoying as that, and I absolutely love Zelda myself.
Yeah. It really is time for the new DK game to be announced and released this holiday.

I don't have a cowboy hat, but if OoT gets a remake, I would buy one and eat it.

If this project exists, it's probably just OoT 3D in HD or something similar.

I think Majora's Mask is pretty much a "direct sequel" to Ocarina of Time, even tho it doesn't use the same map/region?

It's the same Link, he has memories from OoT and all. Ain't all that different from Tears of the Kingdom.

On a remake, I don't think they'd go for a reimagining, but for a 1:1 remake, like I've said before. I'd definitely take a remaster of the remake(as in Ocarina of Time 3D but with better geometry and textures and lighting, pretty much the treatment Luigi's Mansion 2 got) if it means I can get it sooner.

A straight port of Ocarina 3D won't work, the game's models, textures, FoV, cutscenes, etc. were redone specifically for improved visibility the tiny 240p 3DS screen and to emphasize the 3D effect. It's not an original handheld game but a home console game crunched onto a portable that reshuffles the original vision for the sake of ergonomics. Yes, playing it in HD on Citra is a delight but it still exposes how the assets are meant for a much smaller display.

An Ocarina 1:1 remake could reuse a lot of 3D's source assets (if Grezzo has higher poly ones available) but it would still be a considerable effort to make everything look good on a 720p+ display. And Nintendo would want their critical darling to look as good as possible.

Nintendo does not usually make remakes that take a long time or many developers to make, and with an high budget. Their strategy is usually to make lower cost remasters/remakes to pad out their release schedule.

So its more likely that they would make minor improvements to previous games like Wind waker HD than a massive remake project that would take a lot of time and effort.

Back
Top Bottom