• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST8| Press Your (Nintendo Direct) Luck!

is the Tokyo Mario team big enough to work on two games at once? Unless the DK game has been finished for a while I don't see how it happens
The hiring calls came less than a year apart and in the midst of that EPD 8 moved into larger offices. 1-Up Studio essentially serve as the support developer for 3D Mario, and it wouldn't surprise me to see NST on hand to help too especially now we know they can use both ActionLibrary (the 3D Mario engine) and ModuleSystem (the main EPD engine currently).

There'll be support for the Tokyo games from the main division in Kyoto, too, and we don't have a clear picture of how much the Tokyo office might have expanded. It's also useful to remember Nintendo opened the Tokyo office to have easier access to temporary staff via outsourcing, given there's a larger pool of contractors there than Kyoto. But I'd guess with the internal development investment being so high in recent years, we see a larger long term production group in Tokyo.

EPD Tokyo was working on 3D World + Bowsers Fury, next 3D Mario and a new 2D game at the same time? Or maybe they didn’t start the new 3D Mario game until 2019?
The 2D game started hiring in August 2020, 10 months after the 3D game hiring call in October 2019. My assumption has always been that Bowser's Fury was a 3D Mario prototype that ended up not being a full game and the team went in a different direction in late 2019, when the hiring call came along. Maybe Bowser's Fury then got span out and finished with 1-Up and NST's help.

I'd also assume there was a lengthy prototyping period after Odyssey. You never know - maybe they worked on ideas that never worked out, or they had an in-progress game that got canned. Prototyping tends to involve small teams at Nintendo, and the Tokyo office was historically small anyway, so it's not like there were hundreds of staff burning away months or years of wasted work. It probably just took a while to settle on where to take 3D Mario after Odyssey, and to settle on whatever the 2D project is.

Couldn’t the dk game just be cancelled? When was the last time new info came out for it?
It took four years for Super Mario Bros Wonder to release after the October 2019 hiring call for that, and for almost all of that time it wasn't public knowledge. That being the case, I don't think there's any reason to assume EPD 8's 2D game has been cancelled. Whether or not it is Donkey Kong remains to be seen.

is the Tokyo Mario team big enough to work on two games at once? Unless the DK game has been finished for a while I don't see how it happens
they not, but the combined team of 1-UP, NST and help from EPD kyoto is, the theory also explains why its taking so long
Are we sure the job listing for 2D level design wasn't just for 2D sections in a 3D game? Like the 8-bit segments in Mario Odyssey.
the listing said it was an 2d action game and had courses

Last edited:
Couldn’t the dk game just be cancelled? When was the last time new info came out for it?
My guess is that it’s been done since 2022

Nintendo is very annoying about sitting on games, but the switch 2 delay shows that it has at least some rational basis

For DK I don’t think the delay was about the switch 2 probably more likely because wonder came out last year and this year and next year have DK parks opening

My guess is that it’s been done since 2022

Nintendo is very annoying about sitting on games, but the switch 2 delay shows that it has at least some rational basis

For DK I don’t think the delay was about the switch 2 probably more likely because wonder came out last year and this year and next year have DK parks opening
nintendo started hiring for dk one year after they started for wonder and that was finished only in 2023, if they have the same scope it should be finishing by now,if its a bigger project its not close to be done

nintendo started hiring for dk one year after they started for wonder and that was finished only in 2023, if they have the same scope it should be finishing by now,if its a bigger project its not close to be done
They definitely didn’t start DK when they put out those hiring notices, I’m sure they were working on it a year or two prior

Back
Top Bottom