• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion Could Metroid Dread win Game of the Year this year?

Will Metroid Dread be 2021's GOTY?

• Yes

Votes: 63 49.6%
  • No

Votes: 64 50.4%

• Total voters
I don't know, I think where Dread definitely lacks the kind of immediately strong soundtrack Super did, it has more overt storytelling moments to compensate

such as the exposition dump around there halfway mark, and the scene where that happens,
amazingly hype, and elicited a hell of a reaction (again, you can see journos buzzing about it on Twitter), and I think that will stick out and resonate with people, compensating for the lack of the music creating that kind of resonance.
I think it's pretty amazing that a Metroid game had multiple great plot beats halfway through so I'm not actually sure which one you're talking about, lol.

For me, the one that blew my mind was
The X escaping into the game world and changing almost every enemy in the game. Absolutely incredible development and such a treat for a huge Fusion fan. I reckon you might be talking about meeting Quiet Robe and Samus talking though.

I think it's pretty amazing that a Metroid game had multiple great plot beats halfway through so I'm not actually sure which one you're talking about, lol.

For me, the one that blew my mind was
The X escaping into the game world and changing almost every enemy in the game. Absolutely incredible development and such a treat for a huge Fusion fan. I reckon you might be talking about meeting Quiet Robe and Samus talking though.
That last one you guessed is the one I was talking about, I didn't want to be too specific in case you hadn't gotten that far, and I didn't want you to not be able to continue the conversation lol

But yeah,

Samus talking, and the whole scene with the Chozo exposition dump
is amazingly hype, and is the kind of moment that will stick out in memory. Then there is

the X Parasites escaping
as you pointed out, and (going to get vague again) late game revelations and twists. I think in terms of personal resonance, Dread doesn't have to worry.

Depends on the outlet imo, but I'm confident it'll be nominated pretty much everywhere and take a few home. I also think it has a good chance of winning here and maybe even on Era. I'm also curious about SMT V's potential.

That last one you guessed is the one I was talking about, I didn't want to be too specific in case you hadn't gotten that far, and I didn't want you to not be able to continue the conversation lol

But yeah,

Samus talking, and the whole scene with the Chozo exposition dump
is amazingly hype, and is the kind of moment that will stick out in memory. Then there is

the X Parasites escaping
as you pointed out, and (going to get vague again) late game revelations and twists. I think in terms of personal resonance, Dread doesn't have to worry.
Hey, I beat it 100% and am halfway through hard mode, lol, so no worries with spoilers.

I will say one thing, lol

I was pissed off ALL game at how poorly Adam was written. I mean, I hate the dude, but at least write him correctly, you know? Didn't give Samus's abilities enough respect, didn't call her "lady", didn't even seem particularly intelligent. So that ending was just an absolute *chef's kiss* for me. A classic "how the fuck did I not see that coming". Topped off by the best boss in series history, and one of Nintendo's all time greatest final boss fights.

A 2D game will never win GOTY from anything approaching a mainstream audience

The show TGA? Nah.

Others? Sure. Remember lots of outlets gave Hades their nod last year over TLOU 2 which was very cool

Considering Ori got a 90+ Metacritic score (Top game of the year) and got snubbed I have no hope for the TGA. Still hurt by that tbh.

Ghost Tsushima got in before it and it had an 85 Metacritic score smh. So while Metroid has a higher chance I don't think it will win.

It will win a few but if you mean The Game Award's then no it wont because that award is biased towards AAA games with broad appeal. Or usually a Sony exclusive with a focus on narrative and high end graphics.

I imagine Halo will swoop in and take it or they'll give it to something like Returnal. Metroid and Monster Hunter wont get a look in, despite being higher rated games.

I would love to be pleasantly surprised, but I’m not holding my breath.

No chance. It may well be the best game this year (I haven't played the other likely contenders yet) but the general feeling will be "it's not new enough". When Metro Gamecentral (an outfit I generally respect) says "Unless they wait another 11 years, Nintendo cannot release another game in this same style and expect it to be as warmly received" you know that other places will feel the same when it comes to award time. It's a ridiculous statement; Dread is a huge step forward from previous Metroids, and likely more so than equivalent games in the Super Metroid to Metroid 5 period (aLttP to a Link Between Worlds or Street Fighter 2 to Street Fighter 5 for example) and there's been much fewer games in its series, but this seems to be the general narrative around it from naysayers.

Something flashy and cinematic will win, because that's what's mainstream.

there are a lot of playstation only outlet out there, so I don't think it has any chance to win overall. But it will win some, maybe even some prestigious one

At a number of outlets, yes. But if you're asking about whether it'll win the more mainstream awards and the prestigious awards, I'm not sure.

I think it'll definitely be a GOTY nominee at the big ones like TGA and DICE. I hope, like Hades last year, it wins at least some.

I want it to be but unfortunately it will not be because it does not have 4K graphics, strong narrative or multiplayer. And it has too much gameplay, so...

Now seriously, I think it will be nominated for GOTY in TGA and lots of newswire awards. Another game will get most of these awards unfortunately, but Dread will make a lot of noise for everyone's surprise.

It will be nominated for Best Family Game along with Shin Megami Tensei V, Monster Hunter Rise and The Great Ace Attorney!

I think it has a chance to win at TGA. I don't feel like they've been as anti-Nintendo as people here seem to think, not since the Switch anyway. Nintendo has been nominated every year aside 2018 and they didn't deserve a nomination that year anyway. Dread won't have much heavy competition unless something in the next two months really surprises us.

@Heron so I haven’t actually completed it yet (I got to the final boss but I haven’t beaten them yet) is it safe for me to open your spoiler?
It is if you saw the scene immediately before the fight - meaning you actually got to the fight itself. You've already commented on the exact spoiler over in the OT so I think you're good.

I mean, realistically this year I don't actually think there's a clear frontrunner for GOTY. Nothing with that high a profile or that level of acclaim has really launched this year.
There is no "obvious" winner this year, so there is a chance.
Good timing! I feel the same.

For me, Dread and Monster Hunter Rise are up there. I'm sure some mix of those two plus some of Ratchet & Clank, Returnal, Deathloop, Resident Evil 8, and maybe Forza will appear on a lot of GOTY lists as the best games of the year.

Nintendo games that can at least hope to win:
3D Zelda
Metroid Prime
3D Mario in a year with less competition

That’s it lol

It will win a few but if you mean The Game Award's then no it wont because that award is biased towards AAA games with broad appeal. Or usually a Sony exclusive with a focus on narrative and high end graphics.

I imagine Halo will swoop in and take it or they'll give it to something like Returnal. Metroid and Monster Hunter wont get a look in, despite being higher rated games.
Halo Infinite releases too late for consideration. I think Dread has a better shot than Returnal too, it's getting a much better critical response and (especially) word of mouth. Returnal had a pretty mixed fan response tbh, rougelikes are a tougher sell unless they pretty much nail everything a la Hades.

I don't think Rise has much of a shot, even though it deserves to be up there.

It is if you saw the scene immediately before the fight - meaning you actually got to the fight itself. You've already commented on the exact spoiler over in the OT so I think you're good.
Okay good! I just wanted to make sure it wasn't something post-fight 😅

No, because we got a new WarioWare this year.

That's just the way it is.

Wario's gonna ween.

- Returnal
- Resident Evil Village
- Deathloop
- Hitman 3 / Ratchet & Clank / It Takes Two
- Monster Hunter Rise?
- Forza Horizon 5?
- Metroid Dread

Those are the most likely nominees I would say. No clear winner, no clear front-runnter. Metroid has at least a chance.

What's in the running this year? Let's assume:
  • Deathloop
  • Hitman 3
  • It Takes Two
  • Metroid Dread
  • Monster Hunter Rise
  • Psychonauts 2
  • Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart
  • Resident Evil Village
  • Returnal
  • Tales of Arise
Forza Horizon 5 and Shin Megami Tensei V might also be in the running if response is good enough, and games like Halo Infinite and Valheim are ineligible because of release dates and early access; I think it's fair to say Metroid Dread is a shoe-in for a nomination but the win might come down to what else is nominated. A world in which all three of Deathloop, Ratchet and Returnal are up for the award might be easier because there isn't a clear frontrunner there like last year, so could split the vote of people who enjoy a particular brand of Sony exclusive for example.

what do they have? an Spidermand DLC/ Expansion? Returnal?
no idea about SeX
Every big 3rdParty release and the fact that most of the people that vote will have played them in their new shiny machines.

Not saying it's impossible but it def. doesn't make it easier.

I really am enjoying it right now. I don't think so though because I don't feel a game with Dreads budget will win TGA. Maybe a few sites will have it up there but TGA is the most influential right?

Halo will release after the deadline for nominees so it won't be nominated for this year, but will for next year. I think next year will probably be dominated by Zelda as far as winners go just like 2017. But we never know as they nominated a yet to be released game that was beta by then(PUBG). So maybe they nominate Halo Infinite Multiplayer lol. I won't be surprised.

I'm now curious: did Super Mario Odyssey, Cuphead or Persona 5 get any GOTY awards? Or did Zelda take everything?

Nintendo games that can at least hope to win:
3D Zelda
Metroid Prime
3D Mario in a year with less competition

That’s it lol
3D Mario and Metroid Prime are more likely to get in best of all time or best of the generation awards ten years after they come than get major outlets GOTY. That was exactly what happened with Prime 1, Super Mario Galaxy, Galaxy 2 and Odyssey, that didn't win because of BotW overkill. I also highly, highly doubt that if Zelda didn't release in 2017 Odyssey or Persona 5 would win grand prize against Horizon, even tho Odyssey was like 10 point MC ahead.

- Returnal
- Resident Evil Village
- Deathloop
- Hitman 3 / Ratchet & Clank / It Takes Two
- Monster Hunter Rise?
- Forza Horizon 5?
- Metroid Dread

Those are the most likely nominees I would say. No clear winner, no clear front-runnter. Metroid has at least a chance.
Forza Horizon is in a position that it almost definitely will be nominated and surely won't win.
I take that by 2014, when Super Smash Bros. For Wii U and Mario Kart 8 weren't even nominated for grand prize. Smash Ultimate was nominated for 2019 but didn't win.
Edit: of the games listed, the one I could see being a favorite is Resident Evil, but at the same time horror games are far less likely to win these awards, sadly. But happily for Metroid. I don't think 3D platformers are so likely to win too, so I don't see how Psychonauts 2 and Ratchet and Clank are any more likely to win than Dread. I don't think MHR will win. So to my eyes it really comes down to Deathloop, Returnal and Dread. I don't know if the other two fill the list of stereotypes of TGA winner that Metroid doesn't, but I definitely see a better chance of it being the winner now.
I'm far more optimistic at it winning now after reading your posts.(edit: actually the @Phantom Thief posts lol). The journalists praise, the players praise and WoM is just too good. Also there's not the "obvious winner" this year like TLOU II last year, GoW/RDR2 in 2018 and Zelda in 2017.
I'm rooting for it to win and I think it does have a good shot.

Last edited:
Considering Ori got a 90+ Metacritic score (Top game of the year) and got snubbed I have no hope for the TGA. Still hurt by that tbh.

Ghost Tsushima got in before it and it had an 85 Metacritic score smh. So while Metroid has a higher chance I don't think it will win.
Ori WoTW is a really weird case where the game is absolutely fantastic and also weirdly not that memorable. Like, I consider it one of the best Metroidvanias ever and I occasionally forget it exists. Dread at the very least seems to be making much more of an impact (something something if it was called "Betroid"...)

Nothing more family friendly than Shin Megami Tensei V.
Attacking and dethroning god is fun for the whole family!

Ori WoTW is a really weird case where the game is absolutely fantastic and also weirdly not that memorable. Like, I consider it one of the best Metroidvanias ever and I occasionally forget it exists. Dread at the very least seems to be making much more of an impact (something something if it was called "Betroid"...)

Attacking and dethroning god is fun for the whole family!
I'm sure that's the kind of game I would reunite my catholic grandma and little cousin on the sofa to play 😍😍😍

Forza Horizon is in a position that it almost definitely will be nominated and surely won't win.
I take that by 2014, when Super Smash Bros. For Wii U and Mario Kart 8 weren't even nominated for grand prize. Smash Ultimate was nominated for 2019 but didn't win.
Edit: of the games listed, the one I could see being a favorite is Resident Evil, but at the same time horror games are far less likely to win these awards, sadly. But happily for Metroid. I don't think 3D platformers are so likely to win too, so I don't see how Psychonauts 2 and Ratchet and Clank are any more likely to win than Dread. I don't think MHR will win. So to my eyes it really comes down to Deathloop, Returnal and Dread. I don't know if the other two fill the list of stereotypes of TGA winner that Metroid doesn't, but I definitely see a better chance of it being the winner now.
I'm far more optimistic at it winning now after reading your posts.(edit: actually the @Phantom Thief posts lol). The journalists praise, the players praise and WoM is just too good. Also there's not the "obvious winner" this year like TLOU II last year, GoW/RDR2 in 2018 and Zelda in 2017.
I'm rooting for it to win and I think it does have a good shot.

I really think it comes down to Dread and Deathloop. It could be my bubble, but I see zero buzz for Returnal anymore.

Back
Top Bottom