• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion Could Metroid Dread win Game of the Year this year?

Will Metroid Dread be 2021's GOTY?

• Yes

Votes: 63 49.6%
  • No

Votes: 64 50.4%

• Total voters

Slash

Moblin
Banned
Pronouns
He/him
Metroid Dread is very good. With an 89 on Metacritic at the time of this post and sales records for the series being broken all around, Samus has never gotten more love. Considering this is a Nintendo board, I'm sure a lot of us here will have Dread as our Game of the Year. Do you think Dread could reach the bubble of the general public and potentially win some GoTY awards?

Could a 2D game even win Game of the Year, anyway?

I will huff as much hopium as possible and say yes.

But no, I don't think the wider gaming audience will vote for a 2D game as GOTY in 2021, unfortunately.

It'll definitely win some GotY awards. Considering there are like 500 outlets doing them now.

I really love Dread, but after 2014 I don't have much optimism with GotYs. Gaming outlets would rather pick a mediocre mainstream game than a fantastic niche game.

The only game that I think may be better than it that came out this year is The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles, and that ain't winning any Game of the Year awards. Metroid could and should have a legitimate shot, but I think the biases against this kind of game are too strong.

It's not the kind of game that wins at Geoff's show, let's be real. But it will probably get some elsewhere.

It’s sad how this year is it’s best opportunity (no surefire 3D AAA heavy story/open world to give it to) yet I STILL don’t think it will. They’d sooner give it to less acclaimed games of the GOTY-winning type of genre than a 2D one.

But if there’s any year, it’s this.

There is a genuine possibiliy. There's no game this year that makes you look at it and be like "yeah this will appeal to critics and win" as there has been for a long time, the closest to that is Ratchet and that game had zero staying power so...

It will definitely win quiet a few considering this year doesn’t have that one game that overshadows everything else.

I find it very hard to imagine most mainstream outlets awarding it to a 2D game, although Hades won quite a few last year so I guess it's possible.

What would even be it's main competition this year? Doesn't seem like there's been a super well-received AAA game this year so I;m honestly not sure what the consensus pick could be.

It’s sad how this year is it’s best opportunity (no surefire 3D AAA heavy story/open world to give it to) yet I STILL don’t think it will. They’d sooner give it to less acclaimed games of the GOTY-winning type of genre than a 2D one.

But if there’s any year, it’s this.
As someone pointed out in the other forum Ori didn't even get nominated at last year's TGA despite being one of the very few 90s on meta

Somehow a big budget open world with an 83 did though

It's a good game, but Psychonauts 2 is still my choice for this year. Psychonauts 2, Rift Apart, then Dread.

Some publications will likely give it the award but no way is it getting it on the TGAs. My current bet for that is either Deathloop or Returnal (haven't played either, but they seem like the type of game to get it) or perhaps a more out of the box choice like Rift Apart or Psychonauts

Basically some manner of next-gen showcase kinda game

I put No as I don’t think it’ll be a frontrunner in a lot of places. It could win some, especially from Nintendo outlets, but I’m not sure it’ll be one of the major GotY winners in terms of numbers or big outlets.

I'm certain some major outlets might give GotY to Metroid Dread. This year has no sure winner like TLOU II last year so it would have a shot to win some major awards. I don't think TGA will give it GotY tho. As many others have said, it's not the kind of game that wins these shows. But hope is the last one that dies. I'm rooting for this game to win. It absolutely deserves that.

At The Game Awards? No, but it definitely should. What a game.

Not at The Game Awards. Those tend to be a popularity contest for the most part, and I just don't see a 2D game winning (-_-). It will get nominated though.

If Halo Infinite even halfway delivers, critics will be falling all over themselves to award it GotY.

As of right now, I feel the critical darling is Psychonauts 2.

Metroid Dread ABSOLUTELY deserves it though. It’s a masterpiece

If Halo Infinite even halfway delivers, critics will be falling all over themselves to award it GotY.

As of right now, I feel the critical darling is Psychonauts 2.

Metroid Dread ABSOLUTELY deserves it though. It’s a masterpiece
Doesn't Halo Infinite technically not qualify for TGA? I suppose other outlets will probably award it though

Next year's TGA will be wild just from the games we know about already

I saw some legit stupid ass posts saying Metroid will probably get in just because its Metroid. No it’ll get in because it’s a high quality game and deserves to be GOTY candidate. So tired of this “because of its name it’ll get in” shit

I saw some legit stupid ass posts saying Metroid will probably get in just because its Metroid. No it’ll get in because it’s a high quality game and deserves to be GOTY candidate. So tired of this “because of its name it’ll get in” shit
I do think there’s some truth, but not in a patronizing “it JUST gets in because it’s Metroid” way

if it hadn’t delivered, it wouldn’t get in. But because it’s a new fucking METROID game that’s gotten this rave reviews, TGA can’t ignore it like they did for a random 2D game that’s NOT part of a historic and beloved IP like Ori imo.

I do think there’s some truth, but not in a patronizing “it JUST gets in because it’s Metroid” way

if it hadn’t delivered, it wouldn’t get in. But because it’s a new fucking METROID game that’s gotten this rave reviews, TGA can’t ignore it like they did for a random 2D game that’s NOT part of a historic and beloved IP like Ori imo.
Why does it need to be compared to Ori? Maybe Ori should do better to impress those deciding? Hades got there and won plenty of awards. I’m just sick and tired of it needing to be compared to some other 2D game. If Ori can’t get in then not enough people deemed it good enough.

If Dread wasn’t good it wouldn’t be in any discussion for GOTY. Its been highly received by media and the fans.

To me it is patronizing to say it’ll be there due to name recognition.. Stop comparing these games to others. Last of Us will be there not on name, but because it was highly acclaimed the expectations are there for sequels to do the same. Same with Zelda and Mario. They don’t just show up because they’re Zelda or Mario. 3D World was never nominated for GOTY even though it had high reviews. Odyssey was highly reviewed, but hit the right notes.

Metroid is different from other franchises. I think it will take it. Both Metroid and Zelda are very mature in their theme with great environmential storytelling. I think that's what it takes to become goty.

No because the people voting at the TGA have terrible taste

Only game that can beat it is Deathloop. And this isnt to say one is better than the other, but I think Deathloop checks all the right boxes to get the votes this year.

It has a chance - it's a brilliant game and probably my own personal GotY. But it's a tough bar for a difficult 2d game to clear, and having two flaws in the poor soundtrack and frankly goofy story will hurt it. (The story great as fanservice and as a fusion sequel, but very very silly, which awards voters rarely like)

it will be many people's goty, and win goty from many respected outlets, but it has no chance of winning goty at the game awards or winning consensus goty at the gotypicks blogs. that always goes to a pretty specific type of game.

I really love Dread, but after 2014 I don't have much optimism with GotYs. Gaming outlets would rather pick a mediocre mainstream game than a fantastic niche game.
2014 was such a disaster show. It's a real problem when the industry's largest event sends a message that only certain types of games are worthy of recognition.

I expect Metroid Dread to be nominated, but that's it. I would be shocked and pleasantly surprised if it ran with the grand prize.

It might win a BAFTA GOTY but definitely not a Geoff show GOTY as that might go to something like Resident Evil Village or Deathloop. I would love it to win though.

There is a fairly good chance, yes.

The difference between 2014 and this year is that the Wii U was a dead system. Barely anyone bothered playing it even when good games came out, it was preaching to an increasingly shrinking choir. That means even most of the journalists who were supposed to vote on GotY had largely not played most Wii U games enough for them to be true contenders.

The Switch on the other hand is a hyper popular system, with an engaged user base, and that includes journalists, who have been buzzing more about Dread than any other game this year other than except maybe Returnal.

Dread absolutely has a good chance of winning.

I don't think its likely that it will win. It might get a pity nomination, but like it seems to go with a lot of Nintendo games, the way the awards work/what genres and categories they represent mean it probably won't even win any award if it doesn't win GOTY (mayyyybe action-adventure?).

It has a chance - it's a brilliant game and probably my own personal GotY. But it's a tough bar for a difficult 2d game to clear, and having two flaws in the poor soundtrack and frankly goofy story will hurt it. (The story great as fanservice and as a fusion sequel, but very very silly, which awards voters rarely like)
I don't think the story is a consideration as much as people like to believe. BotW's story was actively criticized as being bad (Dread's is at worst criticized as being bad at onboarding newcomers), and it won overwhelmingly over games with better stories that released that same year.

I don't think people here are aware of just how much journalists (I.e. the actual people who will vote on these games) love Dread. Twitter is full of nothing but them buzzing about it. Developers like id and Naughty Dog are talking about it. Whether it's defensive posturing or actual lack of awareness, I don't know, but the pessimism surrounding Dread's chances here compared to the overwhelmingly spectacular reception it's received is amusing to see.

From The Game Awards ? I imagine it'll be Deathloop. Or Rift Apart (but probably Death Loop)

Dread still will be one of the most awarded game of the year if you consider other outlets though imo. Deathloop and Dread feels like the two that'll get all the GOTY "awards" from websites and magazines.
But it definitely doesn't feel like the kind of game that would get a GOTY at TGA. They like their 3D games over there, at the end of the day they have a crowd to please lol.

I don't think the story is a consideration as much as people like to believe. BotW's story was actively criticized as being bad (Dread's is at worst criticized as being bad at onboarding newcomers), and it won overwhelmingly over games with better stories that released that same year.

I don't think people here are aware of just how much journalists (I.e. the actual people who will vote on these games) love Dread. Twitter is full of nothing but them buzzing about it. Developers like id and Naughty Dog are talking about it. Whether it's defensive posturing or actual lack of awareness, I don't know, but the pessimism surrounding Dread's chances here compared to the overwhelmingly spectacular reception it's received is amusing to see.
I mean I'm with you on pretty much all of that. The reason I say it has a chance at all despite being a (very difficult) 2d game is precisely because of the reaction I've seen - typically only seen by GotY contenders. People LOVE this game. But that just gets you in the conversation. Still hard for a 2d game to win, and that's when nitpicking comes into it.

I really think that a better soundtrack would have created the kind of emotional resonsance the game needed to be more memorable long-term. I can think of 6 different tracks from Super Metroid instantly and remember where I was playing it, what the level looked like etc. Exact same with Prime. I can hear Phendrana Drifts and remember what my college dorm couch looked like, 20 years later. I will never be able to do that with Dread. I think that'll hurt it.

I mean I'm with you on pretty much all of that. The reason I say it has a chance at all despite being a (very difficult) 2d game is precisely because of the reaction I've seen - typically only seen by GotY contenders. People LOVE this game. But that just gets you in the conversation. Still hard for a 2d game to win, and that's when nitpicking comes into it.

I really think that a better soundtrack would have created the kind of emotional resonsance the game needed to be more memorable long-term. I can think of 6 different tracks from Super Metroid instantly and remember where I was playing it, what the level looked like etc. Exact same with Prime. I can hear Phendrana Drifts and remember what my college dorm couch looked like, 20 years later. I will never be able to do that with Dread. I think that'll hurt it.
I don't know, I think where Dread definitely lacks the kind of immediately strong soundtrack Super did, it has more overt storytelling moments to compensate

such as the exposition dump around there halfway mark, and the scene where that happens,
amazingly hype, and elicited a hell of a reaction (again, you can see journos buzzing about it on Twitter), and I think that will stick out and resonate with people, compensating for the lack of the music creating that kind of resonance.

Back
Top Bottom