• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Zelda TotK and Super Mario Bros: Wonder developer talk coming to GDC 2024 (UPDATE: The talk available on the website, check threadmark)

Read the article ... and i'm now even more hungry to see the actual presentation.

It's simply bonkers what the devs created here, and to read that basically every part of development went to work hand in hand to create this world and its systems is nuts too.
"wHy DiD iT tAkE sIx YeArS tO mAkE?????"

It's a freaking complex game under the hood. That's why.

Thankfully more people are starting to realize that the days of AAA development only taking ~3 years is long gone. Maybe it is just my perspective, but I see more people are understanding that we aren't getting a new Uncharted or Mass Effect every 2 to 3 years. Even when a lot of assets are reused like Hyrule in Zelda and New York City in Spider-Man, it still takes a really long time to make these games.

Granted we will still get those "six years" takes, but more folks are starting to come around.

Also basically because they really wanted to make this type of game and they just gave themselves that time to make it good. All the while not being afraid of failure because making this game (and BOTW) really was a risk.

Not saying that Nintendo is out there for a true artistic vision, at the end of the day they want to make money. But in this approach they really feel indie to me. I really hope that they will (at least partially) keep doing games in this way.

Because it would be so easy for them to just play it safe and let‘s say do a conventional remake of Ocarina of Time in a shorter time and fans and critics would all be pleased. It‘s cool that they actually keep going out of their comfort zone.

"Does Mario feel pain when he hits an enemy? Does he get antsy when he's moving around high places - does he become more cautious when his heart's thumping with excitement? Don't you feel that if players feel that way, they will be able to immerse themselves more in the game?"

That's beautiful to read. And really puts in perspective how careful the animation work was on this game. The characters are all just so... Alive.

Not saying that Nintendo is out there for a true artistic vision, at the end of the day they want to make money. But in this approach they really feel indie to me. I really hope that they will (at least partially) keep doing games in this way.
'Nintendo' the corporation wants to make money. 'Nintendo' the developers and craftspeople of EAD, EPD, etc. absolutely have artistic visions for their work.

'Nintendo' the corporation wants to make money. 'Nintendo' the developers and craftspeople of EAD, EPD, etc. absolutely have artistic visions for their work.
Yeah, I get that. What I meant is that 'Nintendo' the corporation actually gives those devs the time they need and takes a risk because it makes the outcome and when it will release more uncertain. We should appreciate as long as we have this situation with them, there is no guarantee that this will stay forever.

Every developer has it. Just that Nintendo corporate hasn't burned out the majority of theirs; or over prioritized their desire for money to crunch devs.

Back
Top Bottom