• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

NSO Zelda: Oracle of Ages/Seasons out for NSO:GB July 27th

Despite having played both, I think I've only beaten Seasons, and even that just once. I remember so little it's practically like I'll be playing them for the first time.

I see you guys leave me no choice but to give these games a try, finally.

I tried playing Link's Awakening DX earlier this year, but I didn't like it because of how limited it felt to use items. I also didn't help that I'd already played the remake shortly before.

Still, I'm excited to give them a go. Ages goes first, right?
I played Ages first but I think Seasons first is the best option. Having Ages as your linked game has more interesting bonuses, no spoils but they are definitely more unique and climactic than having Seasons as your second. Plus the game has tougher and more complex puzzles so it kind of makes a nice difficulty curve

Every NSO game that had a remake or modern port had the original on NSO years later. These games don’t need remakes at all, it’s not worth the backlash to sell two GBC games for full price each. LA and SSHD didn’t sell that much mainly because they were fully priced versions of a 5$ and a 20$ game respectively. They could go all out and put both games, along with a third game in one package but not only this is extremely unlikely, but there’s actually no lost “original vision” there. Apparently the content from the third Oracle game got reworked into both Ages and Minish Cap

The next 2D game should be an original title already

Disappointed about the Advance Shop but eh. I know other emulators manage just fine. There must be a simple flag in the code that tells the game what hardware you're playing on. Shouldn't affect colour palette at all. Shoud have just been switched on by default tbh.

But I am looking forward to Seasons ❤️

And not that blasted rhythm mini game in Ages!

Apparently they are not, the advance shop door is locked since this is gbc emulation not gba emulation. The only things the advance shops sells of note are two exclusive rings. It also sells a random rare rings and a gasha seed. The two advance exclusive rings do nothing, they're just needed for true 100% completion.
Emulating GBC on GBA is trivial, but would require color correction in a bunch of cases, likely including this one. It makes sense that they probably wouldn't want to enable it in general, but they probably should have done something for this game.

The advance shop content isn't locked away, using online passwords you can access the exclusive rings.

It's just a more inconvenient way to do it. And it doesn't have the same charm as just buying the ring and seeing the charming "Advance" hype.

2D Zelda as a whole is a pretty big gap in my experience of playing the series. Maybe I'll get serious about a super retro backlog list and add these to them.

Seasons has a god forsaken rhythm minigame too though, in subrosia, even if you've blocked it out. It's still not as bad as the ages minigame, at least

That's the one I meant! I was conflating the two titles. My memory is that Ages had better puzzles but Seasons looked prettier; or Ages for the dungeons and Seasons for the overworld.

Wow, I didn't even know there was a GBA-exclusive shop in Ages. That's pretty nifty.

Man I wanna make time for these games but even in my Zelda backlog I think I have a couple of things ahead of them lol

I only ever played it on my Game Boy Color back in the day, so I'm not missing the Game Boy Advence stuff. Really happy to hear the link cable functionality ended up making it in, though.

Not a good look for who? All he heard was “something Zelda, not TOTK.” He clearly states that is literally all he knew. He didn’t know what it was. He said this multiple times.

I don’t know why people think he was trying to get one over on people.
I mean, it's not like a big deal because leakers are never a big deal or whatever...

But Grubb knew about "something Zelda related" like we all did in that capacity, which is to say it's a statement that literally had no value or real purpose. And no one would presume if you're putting this in the same breath as a discussion on a Metroid Prime 2 Remaster that you're "letting people know about" that it would just be referring to the two Oracle games Nintendo announced as coming at the February Direct. The method of that delivery indicates... well like anything else.

I played Ages first but I think Seasons first is the best option. Having Ages as your linked game has more interesting bonuses, no spoils but they are definitely more unique and climactic than having Seasons as your second. Plus the game has tougher and more complex puzzles so it kind of makes a nice difficulty curve

Every NSO game that had a remake or modern port had the original on NSO years later. These games don’t need remakes at all, it’s not worth the backlash to sell two GBC games for full price each. LA and SSHD didn’t sell that much mainly because they were fully priced versions of a 5$ and a 20$ game respectively. They could go all out and put both games, along with a third game in one package but not only this is extremely unlikely, but there’s actually no lost “original vision” there. Apparently the content from the third Oracle game got reworked into both Ages and Minish Cap

The next 2D game should be an original title already
Both sold fine tbh

First time playing these, they're the last zelda games I have to complete

? LA remake outsold the two previous releases of that game combined - it sold more than WW, MM, and SS. SSHD outsold the original release as well.
I mean they sold well but I feel like they would have did better if they weren’t full price, on top of not dealing with that insufferable discourse about Nintendo charging 60$ for Wii games

He never said it was journalism, it’s not like he personally wrote a piece about it. He simply said “I have heard that something Zelda is coming not TOTK related” and that’s literally it. He doesn’t know what it is, and this could be it. That’s all. Nothing more.
I just think it’s not a great way to do things. If you’re reporting something then commit to it. Get some details. He’s basically saying this is probably what he was talking about…but maybe not, and if it’s something else he’s “right” about that too, but if nothing else appears then this is it - games that were already announced as coming to the service months ago. Come on.

IDK. It’s not a big deal, just kind of rubs me the wrong way. You tend to have people who write about games and “leakers” or rumor collectors or what have you, and most of the time those are pretty separate. Grubb tries to live in both worlds.

Quoted by: Ab
Re: the GBA-exclusive content

it's worth noting that implementing it wouldn't have been too difficult, as it's basically a single register that's initialized with a different value when a Game Boy Advance is powered on compared to a GBC. it's not using or reading anything else.

That standalone re-release of Shantae even has this exact feature as an option.

I mean, it's not like a big deal because leakers are never a big deal or whatever...

But Grubb knew about "something Zelda related" like we all did in that capacity, which is to say it's a statement that literally had no value or real purpose. And no one would presume if you're putting this in the same breath as a discussion on a Metroid Prime 2 Remaster that you're "letting people know about" that it would just be referring to the two Oracle games Nintendo announced as coming at the February Direct. The method of that delivery indicates... well like anything else.

Dude, you're sweating so much after this when this Grubb guy literally just..... mentioned something. Offhand. He doesn't get paid if he's right. He's not getting one over on you. You're not getting scammed. Just chill, let whatever it is that's bothering go.

Dude, you're sweating so much after this when this Grubb guy literally just..... mentioned something. Offhand. He doesn't get paid if he's right. He's not getting one over on you. You're not getting scammed. Just chill, let whatever it is that's bothering go.
I am chill, I'm just pointing out why people might respond poorly to the notion what Grubb meant was this lol.

I don't really care what he has to say or have a horse in the race about more Zelda stuff this year, just responding to a situation in which it seemed clear why people might take things to mean something else in that context. It's one post in one thread, I'm not like on some tirade on this.

I am chill, I'm just pointing out why people might respond poorly to the notion what Grubb meant was this lol.

I don't really care what he has to say or have a horse in the race about more Zelda stuff this year, just responding to a situation in which it seemed clear why people might take things to mean something else in that context. It's one post in one thread, I'm not like on some tirade on this.

My bad, I thought you, Cubs017, and Rampo360 were all the same person. Serves me right for not looking at anyone's usernames lol

Apparently I somehow broke Oracle of Ages and made it unplayable. I guess I'll try starting a new file?

I hope this gets patched

I'm curious if this is a glitch that was always possible or exclusive to the NSO version. I know the original release has a glitch where activating an owl statue with a seed shooter but leaving the room before the dialogue window opens causes you to enter random rooms of garbled tiles. It's a bit similar but not exactly what's in your tweets.

I still don't rule out the idea that maybe this can happen on real hardware and you just got a really rare bug out of nowhere, because the GB is a pretty simple hardware, but you never know.

That's interesting... I've never come across that in multiple playthroughs of the original game on GBC or GBA. I played an hour of Seasons yesterday and had no issues, so maybe you just triggered a very rare bug! Or perhaps you've discovered something new and Nintendo can name it after you.

These are the only 2D Zelda games I’ve never played. Will definitely check them out!

You’re in for a real treat! Just know that these are meant to be played back-to-back. It doesn’t matter which game you play first. At the end, you’ll receive a code and you’ll want to input that code at the beginning of your playthrough of the other game. This will allow certain things and story beats to carry over and give you access to the true ending amongst other things. It’s really cool.

Yeah, my first instinct seeing that kind of thing
would be to assume it's a rare bug in the game and not the emulator. GB games are very primitive and have few guardrails, so they can get pretty weird while still more or less functioning at times.

That's not to say it couldn't be the emulator, but I'd expect more reports if that was the case.

By any chance did they improve or even remove that weird ghosting issue (mostly around Link) in Link's Awakening DX?
And is something similar happening in the Oracle games?

By any chance did they improve or even remove that weird ghosting issue (mostly around Link) in Link's Awakening DX?
And is something similar happening in the Oracle games?
The issue goes away if you go to the house by the beach.

I'm all the way to the second dungeon in Ages and I'm enjoying my time with it so far. I don't know how to beat the boss in that dungeon though.
Do I have to drop a bomb on it when its face is red?

Also, does the hourglass at the top left of the screen mean anything else other than the period of time I'm in? Please tell me it's not a counter of some sort!

I'm all the way to the second dungeon in Ages and I'm enjoying my time with it so far. I don't know how to beat the boss in that dungeon though.

Also, does the hourglass at the top left of the screen mean anything else other than the period of time I'm in? Please tell me it's not a counter of some sort!
That represents the time period you are in.

That's exactly how you beat that boss, yeah, and it's a huge pain in the ass (to me anyway). I abused rewind for that one.

So how do these work? Is it like Pokemon where it doesn't matter which game you pick?

They're completely different games, and when you beat both you unlock extra content via a password.

That's exactly how you beat that boss, yeah, and it's a huge pain in the ass (to me anyway). I abused rewind for that one.

I'd like to have a word with whoever designed this boss. That definitely took me a decent couple of tries.

In the end I just stood still on the top left platform and threw my bombs from there. I can see how this boss fight could've been a source of frustration when these games released lol.

Oracle of Ages was actually the first Zelda game I owned, though I remember really struggling, not getting very far, and ultimately dropping it (I would've been 12 years old). My love for the franchise didn't really kick in until Wind Waker a couple years later. I think these are worth a revisit for me, though 2D Zelda has never clicked as well for me as the 3D games (aside from A Link Between Worlds, which is a masterpiece).

Oracle of Seasons is so freeing that you can do dungeons four and five in reverse order and get fall early. You can even access a lot of parts of Subrosia earlier than you're supposed to. It's odd just how much freedom the devs give you at a time when the franchise was leaning more linear.

Oracle of Seasons is so freeing that you can do dungeons four and five in reverse order and get fall early. You can even access a lot of parts of Subrosia earlier than you're supposed to. It's odd just how much freedom the devs give you at a time when the franchise was leaning more linear.
I don't know if I'd really call flipping two dungeons "freeing", or accept that at the time the oracle games came out Zelda was "moving more linear". At the time there weren't even double digit Zelda titles out (not counting the cdi games) and of them

Link To The Past and Ocarina of Time had several dungeons you could do in any order

Majora's Mask you could do stone tower before Zora's domain, and had a ton of freedom for tackling all the various activities around the world of Termina

Zelda 1 & 2 kinda go without saying

So it was just Link's Awakening and Oracle of Ages that didn't let you do dungeons out of order.

I don't know if I'd really call flipping two dungeons "freeing", or accept that at the time the oracle games came out Zelda was "moving more linear". At the time there weren't even double digit Zelda titles out (not counting the cdi games) and of them

Link To The Past and Ocarina of Time had several dungeons you could do in any order

Majora's Mask you could do stone tower before Zora's domain, and had a ton of freedom for tackling all the various activities around the world of Termina

Zelda 1 & 2 kinda go without saying

So it was just Link's Awakening and Oracle of Ages that didn't let you do dungeons out of order.
You do need the ice arrows to get into Ikana.

But you're right, I wasn't specific with my words. In terms if dungeons, previous titles let you do much more at points.

I was mostly referring to how much access to the overworld you get, especially once you have the flippers. Which I wasn't very clear on. The main thing that stops you from entering the dungeons in any order are arbitrary checks.

It's interesting to note Seasons actually started life as a Zelda 1 remake, some of that influence still remains. Personally, I always liked how entering a cave to get your sword was expanded into a whole mini dungeon where you can only evade and not attack.

You do need the ice arrows to get into Ikana.

But you're right, I wasn't specific with my words. In terms if dungeons, previous titles let you do much more at points.

I was mostly referring to how much access to the overworld you get, especially once you have the flippers. Which I wasn't very clear on. The main thing that stops you from entering the dungeons in any order are arbitrary checks.
You're supposed to have ice arrows to get to upper Ikana, but it's easy enough to just shoot from the river bank to the tree. Course if you're already trying to do things out of order nothing to stop you from Goron bomb jumping and doing snow head last.

You're supposed to have ice arrows to get to upper Ikana, but it's easy enough to just shoot from the river bank to the tree. Course if you're already trying to do things out of order nothing to stop you from Goron bomb jumping and doing snow head last.
I never could manage that myself. And it feels a bit more like exploiting mechanics than intentional design.

Back
Top Bottom