• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Spoiler Yunobo's traumatic memory (TOTK spoilers)

What is Yunobo's past trauma?

• Anger at the deception that led to his marbled rock roast mania

Votes: 13 43.3%
  • Sadness about Link's previous absence

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Actually sick of being fired at rocks

Votes: 17 56.7%
  • Some other painful childhood memory (please explain)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

neil

Chain Chomp
Pronouns
He/him
The young goron entrepreneur Yunobo is an extremely helpful ally in The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom. Once he's on your side, whenever you need to break a few rocks, he is ready to launch himself where you aim. He is physically unbreakable. Good guy.

It's not all cheerful destruction though. Yunobo can often be heard very clearly to shout "WHY'D YOU DO IT?!" as he flies at the rocks. This only happens in the English dub of the game.

I found this puzzling at first. But with careful analysis I've been able to decode it.

It's clear that Yunobo is releasing the psychological pain of a personal trauma as he shouts this angry phrase. Perhaps it's something from his past. Most likely it's associated with the breaking of rocks.

This is deep characterisation from the Zelda team, which enhances the game quite a bit.

The only question that remains is, what is the trauma that Yunobo is trying to heal from?

It doesn't happen on the spanish dub, but if i'd have to take a guess, i would say it's an expression of anger.

He's fooled by """""Zelda""""" into wearing that mask and turning the whole Goron tribe into useless slobs. I can see him being angry at himself as well as being angry and confused at """""Zelda""""" for forcing him to do such a thing.

However, this being exclusive to the english dub makes it non canon and just a creative freedom made by the localization team.

Shocked by this comment... it is enlightening though, maybe Yunobo was bullied at school.

I mean ... we gotta accept the facts.

Back in BotW, he had the luck that there was an even blander dude in Links "Cool People Friendcircle" ... Teba.
But in TotK, Teba's not in that group anymore. He knew he was bland, so he opted to take over village chief and make space for his badass son Tulin.

So it's just Yunobo. In a group of people that consists of Sidon (badass), Riju (badasser), Tulin (aspiring badass). And also newcomer Construct Mineru (most badass). (I mean, how badass is that? She's so pissed of having lost to Ganondorf that she opted to be come a ghost, that inhabits a specially made construct, just so she can have another go at handing over a beating to the Dorf!!!)

Most of them are also descendents/relatives of other badass people, like Mipha, Revali and most of all ... Urbosa.

Another damning fact is that Yunobo's predecessor, Daruk, was also a total badass.

Also doesn't help that Yunobo's the only one of the Nu-Sages that fell for Ganondorfs corruption himself, while the others were fighting off whatever the Dorf threw at them with all might.
Like, dude, think for a moment. Why would Zelda want you to wear a Luchador mask?

And the most damning thing is ... Daruk had an epic beard, the ancient sage seemingly too.
What did Yunobo do in between BotW and TotK?

He grew a Soul Patch.

A Soul Patch.

Like, what is it Yunobro? Can't or don't want to rock that epic Daruk beard?

This post might be a joke.
Or not.
Or a semi-joke.

E:

So maybe, he's yelling "Why'd you do it?" to himself, asking himself why he grew a Soul Patch of all things.

Last edited:
He's actually saying "I CAN DO IT," the voice direction makes it mondegreen into something else unless this is a stealth shitpost thread

So maybe, he's yelling "Why'd you do it?" to himself, asking himself why he grew a Soul Patch of all things.
This is the kind of insight we need in this thread.

The rest of what you said... nah.

He's the best sage - so long as you have the Japanese voices on. He sounds great in Japanese. In American he's kind of annoying, I will admit.

really he's asking himself, "why'd you do it" as in, why'd he take off the mask

cause godDAMN did he look and act way cooler with the mask on

He's actually saying "I CAN DO IT," the voice direction makes it mondegreen into something else unless this is a stealth shitpost thread
I don't see the word mondegreen very often, nice. The origin of that word is pretty funny btw.

I mean ... we gotta accept the facts.

Back in BotW, he had the luck that there was an even blander dude in Links "Cool People Friendcircle" ... Teba.
But in TotK, Teba's not in that group anymore. He knew he was bland, so he opted to take over village chief and make space for his badass son Tulin.

So it's just Yunobo. In a group of people that consists of Sidon (badass), Riju (badasser), Tulin (aspiring badass). And also newcomer Construct Mineru (most badass). (I mean, how badass is that? She's so pissed of having lost to Ganondorf that she opted to be come a ghost, that inhabits a specially made construct, just so she can have another go at handing over a beating to the Dorf!!!)

Most of them are also descendents/relatives of other badass people, like Mipha, Revali and most of all ... Urbosa.

Another damning fact is that Yunobo's predecessor, Daruk, was also a total badass.

Also doesn't help that Yunobo's the only one of the Nu-Sages that fell for Ganondorfs corruption himself, while the others were fighting off whatever the Dorf threw at them with all might.
Like, dude, think for a moment. Why would Zelda want you to wear a Luchador mask?

And the most damning thing is ... Daruk had an epic beard, the ancient sage seemingly too.
What did Yunobo do in between BotW and TotK?

He grew a Soul Patch.

A Soul Patch.

Like, what is it Yunobro? Can't or don't want to rock that epic Daruk beard?

This post might be a joke.
Or not.
Or a semi-joke.

E:

Haha, you paint a hilarious picture of Yunobo's predicament in Tears of the Kingdom! He's definitely surrounded by some seriously intimidating company in that "Cool People Friendcircle."

Your point about the soul patch is absolutely brutal. Compared to Daruk's majestic beard, a soul patch feels like Yunobo desperately trying to cling to some shred of badassery, only falling hilariously short.

Back
Top Bottom