• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

News Ys X: Nordics announced for Fall 2024 (PS5, PS4, Switch, and PC)

That's further out than expected. On the bright side, it gives hope that they will announce a Switch 2 version or performance boost of the Switch 1 version. I was gonna get this on PS5 if it was coming out in the next few months.

Been waiting for this patiently. So glad to finally see the announcement and a window for this year.

Personally, this is as exciting to me as most things a partner showcase could have had. I adore Ys. Can't wait!!!

Really excited.

I get the Viking theming, but why is the game called Nordics when it takes place in a bay between its equivalent of france and spain?

Fantastic news! But now I have 3 Falcom games to buy this year 😅
It's actually amazing. 3 Falcom games each this and last year. My backlog is crying.

Btw, only 1 year after the original Japanese release is pretty quick. The in-house Switch version helped for sure, but I wonder if NISA got the script earlier than before.

With Daybreak coming out this year too, seems like this will be a Falcom dominated year for me!
Excited!!

Oh thank god. I was scared that they'd date it to 2025 maybe even later. Sooner the better.

Maybe XSEED might consider Oath in Felghana too, now it has PS versions.

As someone who's played it:

-The new combat is very fun, albeit being able to block anything is slightly broken in your favor (I played on Nightmare)
-Karja is by far the best of Adol's allies not named Dogi. Focusing on just one other party member instead of a squad really helps flesh her story out
-A 100% (all trophies, Switch version has trophies built in) took me about 80 hours, but I read all NPC dialogue too and I'm slower at reading Japanese, so it's probably more like 50-60 hours depending on if you do that or not
-Soundtrack is great all around, honestly Boss Theme 4 is prob my favorite standard boss theme from all Ys games

-Ship gameplay is ass cheeks 💔
-The graphics are... not the best
-It's Ys so the story isn't anything remarkable, hits Falcom's usual beats and character tropes/moments

I personally had a lot of fun with it, but there are some rough edges.

It's actually amazing. 3 Falcom games each this and last year. My backlog is crying.

Btw, only 1 year after the original Japanese release is pretty quick. The in-house Switch version helped for sure, but I wonder if NISA got the script earlier than before.
I was thinking that. The only mild surprise is that its coming before Kuro 2 (Daybreak 2?), but Trails games have way more text do deal with.

-The new combat is very fun, albeit being able to block anything is slightly broken in your favor (I played on Nightmare)
-Karja is by far the best of Adol's allies not named Dogi. Focusing on just one other party member instead of a squad really helps flesh her story out
-A 100% (all trophies, Switch version has trophies built in) took me about 80 hours, but I read all NPC dialogue too and I'm slower at reading Japanese, so it's probably more like 50-60 hours depending on if you do that or not
-Soundtrack is great all around, honestly Boss Theme 4 is prob my favorite standard boss theme from all Ys games

-It's Ys so the story isn't anything remarkable, hits Falcom's usual beats and character tropes/moments

How was the Switch version performance-wise? I'm not too concerned about how it looks but both VIII and IX looked bad AND ran like booty.

Awesome news! It better come with a Switch 2 version though! Either at launch or sometime in 2025. I wonder if this is the fastest western localization for Ys ever.
How was the Switch version performance-wise? I'm not too concerned about how it looks but both VIII and IX looked bad AND ran like booty.
It should be better than 8 and 9 funnily enough, given that it's pushing for (slightly) better visuals.

Resolution and framerate were fine. Dipped sometimes but never major. The actual graphics being not great is a problem on all platforms, but again the game itself more than makes up for it.

Ys VIII is 20 euros on eshop and I'm thinking it. Never played a single Ys game in my life. Does it have a good exploration apart from good combat?

The game is pretty linear but there are still areas where you can go off the normal path, find some secrets and such. You'll also be bouncing around areas to do sidequests. Exploration really is just running around so you won't be getting any real interesting movement mechanics if that's what you're looking for.

Ys VIII is 20 euros on eshop and I'm thinking it. Never played a single Ys game in my life. Does it have a good exploration apart from good combat?
Yeah Ys VIII is great for it, much of the game is literally exploring a deserted island, you’re not locked in dungeons much at all.

Awesome news! It better come with a Switch 2 version though! Either at launch or sometime in 2025. I wonder if this is the fastest western localization for Ys ever.

It should be better than 8 and 9 funnily enough, given that it's pushing for (slightly) better visuals.

Well, good news I'd say. thanks for sharing

What was up with the ship combat? I have to admit it just looks like an unnecessary mode to me (but then I thought that about the defence missions in the last couple of games too).

Ys 8 & 9 don't run well on Switch. 8 is acceptable for some, 9 is a bit worse. 10 performs pretty well on Switch.

Quick edit: I misread your post, I thought you asked about performance. I think 8 is overall the better experience, including exploration.

What was up with the ship combat? I have to admit it just looks like an unnecessary mode to me (but then I thought that about the defence missions in the last couple of games too).
It's sluggish even after all upgrades and comes down to just smashing all the buttons to fire all your special ammo to obliterate everything. There's no cool ship bosses or anything really and very reason to engage in ship combat outside of the outpost capture missions (which are this game's version of defense missions, you defeat waves of ship enemies and then storm the inside on foot, you get S ranks like with defense missions, I found them easy enough to get S every time first try)

It's sluggish even after all upgrades and comes down to just smashing all the buttons to fire all your special ammo to obliterate everything. There's no cool ship bosses or anything really and very reason to engage in ship combat outside of the outpost capture missions (which are this game's version of defense missions, you defeat waves of ship enemies and then storm the inside on foot, you get S ranks like with defense missions, I found them easy enough to get S every time first try)
Ah I thought that may be the case. Thanks for the write-up!

Ys continuing with the trend of the defense missions being the "oh yeah this is also a thing that's here" bit. Oh well, unless they greatly expanded them then they're not a huge portion of the game, right?

Ys continuing with the trend of the defense missions being the "oh yeah this is also a thing that's here" bit. Oh well, unless they greatly expanded them then they're not a huge portion of the game, right?
There's not that many of them, and I do find them more fun than defense missions because the on foot parts have you traversing through an area instead of defending.

On the ship part you technically aren't "fighting" waves, you "run" around destroying these electric pillars (which do come in waves), but you need to defeat some enemy ships while at it for the S ranks.

Most of the game itself is on foot in general, ship is just for travelling to different islands otherwise.

I had already mentally prepared myself for the Ys X localization to not come out until 2025, so this is fantastic news. Now if we can finally get some info for the Ys Oath in Felghana Switch port and I'd be really happy.

I'm hoping Falcom can release a patch to have Nordics run at 60FPS on the Switch 2, if I remember right Ys IX had a similar patch around the time the PS5 finally released.

Still need to play 9 but 8 was a really good time. So keeping this on my radar for sure.

Man I love Ys. I hope this is better than IX though, I still haven't finished it because the tavern stuff bores me to tears, I hate the party members (the last one to join was that doll character, urgh) and how grey everything is. And how chatty everyone is!!

Is it at least mostly 30fps?
VIII has pretty agressive resolution scaling and
theres an area later on that used to be PS4 exclusive where the game struggle.
It runs alright.

IX has nicer Image Quality but runs inconsistent in the big city. Outside of that it's good.
Comparing it to the PS4 version als made me realise the game actually has more shadows there.

Both also struggle in the raid wave battles but those are the worst part of the games anyway.

Anyway I finished both on Switch and they are alright on there, but if you don't need handheld play then play it somewhere else.

Ys Origin also exists on Switch and that is a great port but really disconnected from the rest apart from Ys1 and 2.

I will probably still get YsX on Switch, especially because the Switch version was made inhouse this time.

Going by John’s coverage over at DF, I’m certainly happy with what they’ve accomplished with the Switch version. It’s a new engine with some extra bells and whistles compared to the older tech they used before, while also running more stable and looking better than VIII and IX did on Switch. That’s a win-win-win in my book.
Yeah, John recommends the PS5 version when all is said and done, but that’s coming from someone who on the one hand doesn’t necessarily prefer handheld gaming and on the other is able to play games on whatever hardware he wants to, given his job. I think for those of us primarily concerned with the Switch version, we’ll be good.

Back
Top Bottom