• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Your Wii send-off/swan song

What was the last Wii game you bought?

• Skyward Sword

Votes: 42 46.2%
  • Xenoblade Chronicles

Votes: 17 18.7%
  • The Last Story

Votes: 5 5.5%
  • Pandora's Tower

Votes: 10 11.0%
  • Mario Party 9

Votes: 5 5.5%
  • Project Zero 2 Wii Edition

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • Other (Post in comments)

Votes: 9 9.9%

• Total voters

curl-6

Chain Chomp
There comes a time when we buy our last game for a system; a send-off of sorts, one final dance with a system before we move on to the next.

For those who owned a Wii, what was the last game you bought for it (chronologically by release date, so not like buying Twilight Princess in 2012) and was it a fitting swan song?

For reference, some key release dates:

Skyward Sword (18th Nov 2011 in EU, 20th Nov in NA, 23rd Nov in JP)

Xenoblade Chronicles (19th August 2011 in EU, 6th April 2012 in NA)

The Last Story (24th Feb 2012 in EU, 14th August 2012 in NA)

Mario Party 9 (2nd March 2012 in EU, 11th March 2012 in NA)

Pandora's Tower (13th April 2012 in EU, 16th April 2013 in NA)

Project Zero 2 Wii Edition (28th June 2012 in EU/JP)

hero-image.fill.size_1248x702.v1699835630.jpg

Skyward sword for sure. I am pretty sure that was the last game I had any hype for in the Wii, and I was okay with that cause I knew that the Wii-U. honestly it was a great send off for me. It took advantage of the hardware that defined the Wii. It was the closest I had ever felt to the pre wii release hype that the motion controls had. Also I loved the story of the game, its still my favorite in any Zelda game.

My last two Wii games were Monster Hunter Tri and Red Steel 2, both of which were unplayable on my Wii. Red Steel 2 would freeze on the Wii Motion Plus video on startup, while Monster Hunter Tri would freeze on the loading screen when trying to leave the village for a quest. This led me to never purchase (or rather ask my mom to purchase given my age at the time lmao) Skyward Sword, since I figured it would just freeze too.

So yeah, my last memories of the Wii aren't very fond!

I do distinctly remember, being one of many who kind of grew out of the Wii and went hard into Xbox and PlayStation games, when Skyward Sword released I was like "huh, you know, haven't touched new releases on my Wii for awhile, let's try it" and being... disappointed. Not massively so, I didn't play Dark Souls and Skyrim but it was easy to see the comparison and be kind of confused about where Nintendo was at. I replayed Twilight Princess immediately after because I was like "was Zelda always kind of meh...?" and tbh I liked it much better, so at least I was pretty clear Skyward Sword was flawed.

Weirdly I got way back into Nintendo with the Wii U even though it was hated lol, no regrets there

I feel like the title and poll are asking a different question than the OP. The big finale of Wii for me was Xenoblade imo, though The Last Story was neat too.

Technically my last physical pick up and final game I played on the console itself was Pandora’s Tower. Since I had a North American copy, the game glitched and crashed entering the final two dungeons so I could never complete it.

Mario Party 9 on my 9th birthday.
It was one of my first Nintendo disappointments alongside NSMB2 that same year.

Project Zero 2: Wii Edition for me. My email says it was shipped to me in 2014

banger game. in my eyes it's the greatest remake ever made

Mario Party 8 left such a bad taste in my mouth (low effort obvious GCN port and an obnoxious MC character) that I didn’t even look at MP9. But I did pick up Skwyard and the 3 Rainfall games so Pandora’s Tower it is.

I bought Pandora’s Tower, Xenoblade Chronicles, and The Last Story all at the same time, though I technically played Xenoblade Chronicles mostly on my Wii U. Skyward Sword was likely the last new game I finished on my Wii, so either answer works I suppose.

Rodea the Sky Solider. It was okay. I felt pretty underwhelmed when it was all finished.

Whew. I think it was Skyward Sword? I was so sick of that darned motion sensor on my set that I would put it away until I needed it, and a new Zelda demanded my attention.

I should have never hooked that thing back up!

Pandora's Tower for me.

I thought it was the best of the Operation Rainfall games. I never cared for The Last Story or Xenoblade.

I definitely bought The Last Story because I remember starting it. I unfortunately can't remember if I bought Pandora's Tower. Those release dates in the OP make me remember how big the release date gaps between regions could be and how late the Wii was supported with notable games, given Wii U launched in November 2012. I'd be interested in seeing similar threads for other consoles (it's a cool topic!), just to see how late I was still buying games (to add to my infinite backlog and not actually play...).

Kirby’s Dream Collection: Special Edition, of course—the last new Wii game released by Nintendo. Surprised it’s missing from the poll.

Amusingly, Skyward Sword was the first game I bought for Wii. 😅

The big send-off for me was Xenoblade. ❤️

I didn't even buy Skyward Sword, came out the same day as Skyrim. I think it was Mario Galaxy 2 for me. I was playing 360 mostly and had checked out from Wii. Was really disappointed.

I think mine ended up being a mix of Project Zero 2: Wii Edition and Xenoblade. I had played Xenoblade when it originally launched here in Europe, but the game did not click at all initially. So I stopped after some 10 hours or so and moved on. Then The Last Story released, played it, loved it and continued to Pandora's Tower, played it and loved it as well. So I figured might return to Xenoblade, which was not easy after a significant time gap, so restarted it from scratch and picked up Project Zero either towards the end or just after I had finished Xenoblade.
The Wii may have ended up with rather a pretty pathetic final year, but the few games that did launch were killer.

Pandora’s Tower for me. I waited for the English release of that game forever during Operation Rainfall.

It was my favorite of those 3 games and I will always be bummed that it didn’t have a chance to do well enough for a sequel or even to reach a wider audience.

Last Story was the last one of those I bought but I didn't play it much

Xenoblade Chronicles is the one I spent the most time with at the end.

In my mind, Skyward Sword was the big, last Wii game.

Xenoblade chronicles was the last big game I finished on the wii, I did buy both the last story and pandora’s tower but I never finished them and if I had to go back to play them now I would probably just play them on dolphin.
So xenoblade was my swan song while also being my favorite game on the console.

The last release I borrowed was Pandora's Tower, although it was scratched and I couldn't play through most of it. The last one I bought was Sakura Wars: So Long My Love. But the last major release that felt like a big deal to me was The Last Story. What a fantastic game. It's a real shame that we'll never get another entry from Mistwalker. I'm crossing my fingers for a remake/remaster in the future.

Honestly, as a kid, Mario and Pokémon (and Monkey Ball lol) were my main things and I didn't play much else... at least, no other series I was really loyal to. So, the last thing I remember really getting into on Wii before I transitioned to 3DS and Wii U was Super Mario Galaxy 2, although maybe I'm forgetting something.

I'm happy to report that my interests have massively diversified over the last 15 years and there are WAY more franchises I play as an adult. If you had mentioned "Fire Emblem" to eight-year-old Switchum, I would probably have thought you were speaking a different language LOL

I think project zero for me. That game is still awesome and I hope the whole series gets properly remastered soon.

I also hace lots of love for Pandora's Tower and The Last Story, which I played until the end of the Wii Era. I hope one day they will get a rerelease too.

But the last major release that felt like a big deal to me was The Last Story. What a fantastic game. It's a real shame that we'll never get another entry from Mistwalker.
Wait, why? Because the switch to mobile?

The Last Story, fittingly enough. Released early 2012 here, but I think I played it a few months later around Easter. I really enjoyed it and found it refreshing after Skyward Sword, which I thought was a bit of a slog full of busywork that made my hands ache after playing it. I was playing Skyrim on PS3 more than both though. That was the last time I was really into home console games- I sold off both my Wii and PS3 and their games after those 3 as I needed to downsize my stuff due to moving into a smaller place.

Last edited:
I don't quite remember the last Wii game I bought, but I'm going to guess Tatsunoko vs Capcom. It's a game I still have now and looking at Wii title lists I don't see anything that came out after that I remember playing besides the Golden Eye 007 remaster that a friend had for nostalgia.
Back during the Wii time, I was mostly playing WoW, Halo, Mass Effect, Pokemon or Smash with friends. Wasn't that much a fan for Zelda games back then.

Last edited:
I got off the Wii train earlier than that. Epic Yarn was probably my last game? I don't remember. Years later I bought a copy of Dream Collection, but at that point my Wii was in a closet. I bought it more as a collector's item.

It was Skyward Sword. I remember it releasing like a week from Skyrim and everybody else playing that at the time (somehow Skyrim feels like a more modern game due to all the re-releases). I didn't really like it at the time and felt like I was maybe done with Zelda after not being too happy with Twilight Princess either, let alone the middling DS entries.

I did eventually play the Switch version though, and thought it was fine.

I bought a copy of Let's Tap in 2021 and imported a copy of Captain Rainbow in 2022 so I don't think I'm even done buying Wii games. I bought every game in the poll at release though, except for Project Zero 2 which imported in 2013 or 2014 I think.

I think project zero for me. That game is still awesome and I hope the whole series gets properly remastered soon.

I also hace lots of love for Pandora's Tower and The Last Story, which I played until the end of the Wii Era. I hope one day they will get a rerelease too.

Wait, why? Because the switch to mobile?
That, and the fact that when Sakaguchi was asked about working on a re-release he mentioned that he wanted to only make new games. Supposedly he also had a bad time collaborating with Nintendo on the game. I'm not sure how much truth is in that though.

The last new game I bought was Rodea the Sky Soldier. I'm pretty sure that I dropped it pretty quickly. I did buy Press Your Luck a few years ago off eBay for a family party.

I still revisit the system here and there. Last year I played the Metroid Prime Trilogy on there as well as Super Paper Mario.

Quoted by: Tye
The last new game I bought was Rodea the Sky Soldier.
Oh, I forgot about this one since the Wii game was included with the Wii U version, so technically this was my last new Wii game, not Kirby’s Dream Collection! Though I never got around to actually playing it, lol…

Back
Top Bottom