• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Fun Club Your Nintendo Vs. Capcom Dream Roster

SpaceGodzilla

Did You Get that Thing I Sent You?
Pronouns
him
Base rules: You can only choose 36 characters (no clones) and it has to be evenly split 50/50 between Nintendo and Capcom characters

for fun: describe how you want the gameplay and stage ideas

Samus Aran, Chris Redfield, and Mega Man X are my top three. Claire Redfield if I can pick a second Resident Evil rep.

1. Leon S. Kennedy
  2. Jill Valentine
  3. Dante
  4. Monster Hunter
  5. Ryu (Street Fighter)
  6. Chun-Li
  7. Mega Man
  8. Zero
  9. Phoenix Wright
  10. Maya Fey
  11. Amaterasu
  12. Viewtiful Joe
  13. Morrigan Aensland
  14. Captain Commando
  15. Regina (Dino Crisis)
  16. Ryu (Breath of Fire)
  17. Arthur (Ghosts 'n Goblins)
  18. Princess Devilotte de Death Satan IX (Cyberbots)

vs.

that short guy, martino or whatever and his friends

18 each? I'll do everyone in rival pairs for story mode

Mario vs Ryu (Street Fighter)
Peach vs Chun Li
Bowser vs Arthur
DK vs Phoenix Wright
Link vs Dante
Zelda vs Morrigan
Ganondorf vs Vergil
Samus vs Mega Man (Classic)
Marth vs Ryu (Breath of Fire)
Pikachu vs Amaterasu
Lucario vs Jill Valentine
Greninja vs Strider
Kirby vs Tron Bonne
Inkling vs Wesker
Shulk vs Monster Hunter
Little Mac vs Akuma
Villager vs Viewtiful Joe
Pit vs Zero (X)

For some of my more fun pairing ideas

DK vs Phoenix Wright is inspired from all the times in AA Wright has to deal with animals including when he has a monkey off with Money the Monkey.

Shulk vs Monster Hunter is inspired by the idea of them being in competition over who's beaten the most dangerous monster

Inkling vs Wesker is due to Wesker's interest in the Inklings ability to change forms thinking they're some kind of new bio weapon.

Kirby vs Tron comes about because Kirby accidentally eats all of the Bonne's food, and she also finds Kirby cute and wants to make him part of her group.

Marth vs Ryu (BoF) is due to the obvious chemistry of a hero who kills dragons vs a hero who becomes a dragon.

Villager vs Viewtiful Joe is because Tom Nook wants to bring VJ to town for show and sends Villager to pay off his home loan, VJ thinks Villager is a crazy stalker with an axe.

The challenge is to not make the roster super boring because Smash and the existing Capcom Vs. games cover so much already and there's a big handful of "obligatory" characters on both sides that SOME important characters gotta miss base roster if you want any spice at all.

Nintendo​
Capcom​
MarioRyu
Link (Oracle games)Mega Man (I dunno, StarForce or whatever)
Samus AranJin Saotome
Captain RainbowCaptain Commando
PitNeneh Moly
SheriffJulia Whitepearl
Mike JonesAnita (Darkstalkers)
Princess ZeldaNina (Breath of Fire 2)
Raymond BryceLeon S. Kennedy (RE4)
YoshiRegina
Doshin the GiantRathalos
Captain FalconGene
Penny CrygorRoll Casket
WarioDevilotte
Donkey KongMike Haggar
Little Mac (SNES)Dudley
Princess PeachChun Li
VaatiAmaterasu

Hmmmmm... kinda depends on gameplay. Some of the smaller characters like Kirby or Pikachu would be harder to do in a traditional fighting game. But what the hell, let's try this:

Nintendo
1. Mario
2. Luigi
3. Princess Peach
4. Bowser
5. Link
6. Princess Zelda
7. Ganondorf
8. Pikachu
9. Tinkaton (voted most popular gen 9 Pokemon!)
10. Samus
11. Donkey Kong
12. Kirby
13. Inkling
14. Ring Fit Trainer
15. Olimar
16. Isabelle (picked over Villager to have another female fighter)
17. Edelgard (see above and also the most popular 3 Houses character)
18. Shulk

Capcom
1. Ryu
2. Chun-Li
3. M. Bison
4. Megaman.EXE
5. Zero (Zero series style)
6. Leon Kennedy
7. Wesker
8. Monster Hunter
9. Rathalos
10. Arthur
11. Firebrand
12. Dante
13. The Arisen
14. Phoenix Wright
15. Morrigan
16. Nina
17. Amaterasu
18. Viewtiful Joe

Maybe that's a lot of Mario characters but I just can't picture a Nintendo crossover without the fab four. Also didn't try to pair them with each other.

I'll just name 3 from each that I'd want:

Nintendo:
Takamaru
Mike Jones
Sigurd (Chalphy?)

Capcom:
Ladd Spencer (aka Rad Spencer, aka The Bionic Commando)
Firebrand
Tron Bonne

This is actually harder than I thought it’d be. Tough to balance the obvious “must-haves” while not just feeling like you’re rehashing the Smash roster. Decided to get a little weird with the Nintendo side of things, and to keep it interesting, I tried to just have one character per series for the most part (though some franchises more or less require multiple reps).

Nintendo
  1. Mario
  2. Link (Majora's Mask version)
  3. Samus
  4. DK
  5. Kirby
  6. Mr. Resetti
  7. Marina (Splatoon)
  8. Raichu (Pikachu’s had it too good for too long)
  9. Captain Falcon
  10. Tetra (Windwaker)
  11. Isaac (Golden Sun)
  12. Lip (Panel de Pon)
  13. Muddy (Mole Mania)
  14. Excitebiker (or Mach Rider; just make someone fight on a bike)
  15. Doc Louis (alternatively, Glass Joe as just a complete joke character)
  16. Saki (Sin and Punishment)
  17. Louie and redacted from Pikmin (if you know, you know)
  18. Princess Peach will star in a crossover fighting game
Capcom
  1. Ryu
  2. Mega Man.EXE
  3. Phoenix Wright
  4. Sissel and Missile and Lynn (I’m imagining something sort of like Duck Hunt, where Lynn is the character and her attacks are basically her getting into accidents while Sissel or Missile move things around her)
  5. Leon Kennedy
  6. Palico
  7. Arthur (Ghosts n Goblins)
  8. Dante
  9. Amaterasu
  10. Viewtiful Joe
  11. Frank West (Dead Rising)
  12. Strider Hiryu
  13. Bionic Commando guy
  14. Chun Li
  15. Morrigan Aensland
  16. Firebrand (Gargoyle’s Quest/Demon’s Crest)
  17. Proto Man
  18. Jill Valentine

I'm gonna go with a mix of obvious must-haves and weirder picks, because I think that's how MvC (and Tatsunoko in particular) tends to be, rather than adhering to Smash's main character rule. Focusing on covering as many IP as possible, while doubling up on some obvious ones. A few veterans in the Capcom side as well.

Nintendo:
Mario
Bowser
Wario
Captain Syrup
Donkey Kong
Link
Ganon (giant character, classic LttP styled)
Pikachu
Meowth
Samus
Kirby
Elite Beat Agents/Ouendan
Edelgard
Ring Fit Adventurer
K.K Slider
Squid Sisters
Sukapon
Lip

Capcom:
Mega Man Volnutt
Proto Man
Leon S. Kennedy
Lady Dimitrescu
Ryu
Kimberly
Franziska von Karma
Sissel
Zack & Wiki
Gene
Dante
Viewtiful Joe
Amaterasu
Morrigan
Frank West
Pawn/protagonist from Dragon's Dogma
Exosuit (stance change Exoprimal character)
Rathalos (giant character)

Yeah in keeping with the Capcom vs. style, I think there'd be a mix of 'obvious' picks with left-field ones chosen for fun moveset potential. Harder to think up for Capcom since there's been so many Vs. games most of who you'd think up of have already been in at least one!

Nintendo:
  1. Mario
  2. Peach
  3. Bowser
  4. Yoshi
  5. Cranky Kong (Could be a mix of his DKC incarnation and arcade references)
  6. Link
  7. Zelda
  8. Ganon (Specifically Ganon, fights with his trident/spells)
  9. Samus
  10. Slippy (Joke-y Dan style character)
  11. Kirby
  12. Captain Falcon
  13. Porky Minch (Fights in the mech from the end of Earthbound)
  14. Medusa (Mix of her Uprising and classic incarnation)
  15. Marth
  16. Squid Sisters (Tag-team fighter in a traditional fighter is pretty unique?)
  17. Pikachu
  18. Mewtwo
Capcom:
  1. Mega Man (Classic)
  2. Dr. Wily
  3. Zero
  4. Ryu
  5. Chun-li
  6. Akuma
  7. Leon Kennedy
  8. Zack & Wiki
  9. Rathalos (Stealing this idea from Pierceyonder because it sounds insane enough to be really funny)
  10. Arthur
  11. Morrigan
  12. Franziska von Karma
  13. Dante
  14. Frank West
  15. Amaterasu
  16. Viewtiful Joe
  17. Spencer (Not the reboot design lol)
  18. SonSon (Funny indirect reference to the demands for Goku in Smash lol)
Throwing in some DLC choices:

Nintendo
  1. Twintelle (2nd most popular ARMS fighter gets into a fighting game in the end?)
  2. Lip (Fights with Panel de Pon blocks)
  3. Wario (Probably more Land-focused than in Smash?)
  4. Tom Nook
Capcom
  1. Wesker/Jack Baker/Lady Dimitrescu (RE always feels better represented by its villains but Leon is such a huge fan request he got prioritized)
  2. Bass.EXE (Having more Mega Man rep for a Nintendo fighter makes sense, and Battle Network representation seems like a big request for the Vs. series)
  3. Nina (Having some Breath of Fire rep since it started off on the SNES would be cool)
  4. Virgil (Feels a bit weird having Dante but not Virgil)

Capcom:
  1. Ryu
  2. Chunli
  3. Dictator
  4. Mega Man
  5. Mega Man Zero
  6. MegaMan.EXE
  7. Viewtiful Joe
  8. Leon Scott Kennedy
  9. Jill Valentine
  10. Albert Wesker
  11. Felyne/Prowler
  12. Ratha (MHS2)
  13. Phoenix Wright
  14. Arthur
  15. Firebrand/Red Arremer
  16. Bionic Commando
  17. Mike Haggar
  18. Dante
Rationale: I tried to cover a good deal of Capcom's history on Nintendo hardware with my picks. You got 3 World Warriors, you got the RE chars that appeared in two acclaimed GameCube exclusives, you got three Mega Man series that debuted on Nintendo hardware, etc. Since Zangief would be overkill for SF rep, Haggar (Final Fight and Saturday Night Slammasters fame) more than fits the bill. Monster Hunter, who did its part to carry the 3DS, is repped by a Felyne and Ratha. Some may question to have Dante here, but to be fair, he's FINALLY gotten games on Nintendo in the last few years, and the Switch version of DMC3 is the best, non-modded version of the game you can buy at the moment. Oh, and between Dictator and Wesker, we got our main Capcom baddies to keep Bowser and Ganon company!

Which brings us to...

Nintendo:

1. Mario
  2. Peach
  3. Bowser
  4. Link
  5. Zelda
  6. Ganondorf
  7. Samus
  8. Raven Beak
  9. Fox McCloud
  10. Marth
  11. Tiki (preferably, using her Awakening design)
  12. Ness
  13. Pikachu
  14. Charizard
  15. Kirby
  16. Inkling (Agent 4?)
  17. Donkey Kong
  18. Captain Falcon
Rationale: This was actually tougher, considering the need to try and cover as many bases as is feasible. I'd like to think I did decently. Raven Beak serves as a much better foil for Samus in a game like this than Ridley would. You got the main Mario and Zelda trios. Pikachu and Charizard serve as the main rivals to Felyne and Ratha. DK is the Nintendo grappler. And considering F-Zero's rep for being flamboyant, stylish and hard, I couldn't think of a better opposite for DMC's Dante. Helps they're both in the field of merc work, too.

Final Bosses:

I loved Capcom vs SNK 2's idea of making a superboss out of taking a boss, and giving them the powers of someone from the other side of the fence! So, that would be my inspiration as I go for the following.

Psycho Bowser: Dictator, after he and Bowser taking another L from the player's team, seizes the opportunity present with his KO'd teammate to possess the Koopa King's powerful body and utilize it for himself! Picture Fury Bowser, but with a lot more purple from the psycho power (and perhaps wearing Dictator's hat for an extra touch!). Watch out for Psycho Bowser's new take on the Psycho Crusher!

Uroboros Ganon: On another route, you confront Ganondorf and Wesker. After the player's team trounces them, Ganondorf decides to betray Wesker (before the other could attempt to), and literally rips the Uroboros sample that Albert was keeping on his person and uses it. Then "kills" him. The result? A version of the classic Blue Boar with a bit more body horror to be had. Can you overcome this unholy abomination borne of black magic and science gone wrong?

I only want Roll.EXE, X and Zero. I don't really care about Nintendo's side since it would be heavily influenced by Smash, so any characters that aren't on the Smash roster would be ideal.

Gameplay should be like Tatsunoko or MvC3.

The thing that makes this a bit hard is the inclusion of villains, I'm assuming there'd be some kind of campaign and as such have mad sure to include some villains even if I'd rather include more protagonists in some cases.

Capcom
  1. Leon S. Kennedy (New vs. rep)
  2. Jill Valentine (NOT HER RE5 DESIGN PLEASE GOD)
  3. Wesker
  4. Ryu
  5. Chun Li
  6. Dante (NOT HIS DMC3 DESIGN PLEASE GOD)
  7. Nero (New vs. rep)
  8. Mega Man
  9. Zero
  10. Bass (New vs. rep)
  11. Amaterasu
  12. Phoenix Wright
  13. Franziska von Karma (New vs. rep)
  14. Sissel (New vs. rep)
  15. Frank West
  16. Monster Hunter (New vs. rep)
  17. Arthur
  18. Firebrand
Nintendo
  1. Mario
  2. Luigi
  3. Bowser
  4. Link
  5. Zelda
  6. Ganondorf
  7. Pikachu
  8. Mewtwo
  9. Samus Aran
  10. Astral Chain girl
  11. Olimar
  12. Donkey Kong
  13. Captain Falcon
  14. Fox McCloud
  15. Isabelle
  16. Inkling
  17. Lucina
  18. Shulk
To be honest a few choices I don't care about in there but they feel like they have to be in there

DLC would include Vergil, Raven Beak, Kid Icarus, Proto Man etc ...

I don't even know how will this hypothetical game would play, but here are my dream picks:

Nintendo
Capcom
  • Mario
  • Peach
  • Bowser
  • Yoshi
  • Donkey Kong
  • Link
  • Zelda
  • Samus
  • Kirby
  • Isabelle
  • Inkling/Octoling
  • Byleth
  • Little Mac
  • Pit
  • Twintelle
  • Shulk
  • Ray Mk II
  • Ring Fit Girl
  • Ryu
  • Chun-li
  • Jill Valentine
  • Nemesis
  • Monster Hunter
  • Mega Man
  • Zero
  • Dante
  • Phoenix Wright
  • Arthur
  • Firebrand
  • Frank West
  • (Viewtiful) Joe
  • Amaterasu
  • Morrigan
  • Wakaba Hinata
  • Strider Hiryu
  • Rouge

I have a hypothetical NvC roster I like the roll out, but it's a lot larger than 36 characters, lol. Making cuts was very tough, so to have a base roster that isn't incredibly bland, some major faces had to stay out. I'm picturing this as a 2v2 tag fighter, though it doesn't really influence my choices too much; and i'm bringing back giant characters from Tatsunoko vs. Capcom for this one, two per side for variety. My choices range from some of the standard mascots from both companies, characters I think would be really cool to see in a fighting game (even if they are included over the protagonist) and my attempt at predicting some typical Versus series curveballs. I ended up having an even number of franchises included on either side but I didn't go in planning that, lol.

eiHKQi7.png

CapcomNintendo
Ryu (Street Fighter)Mario (Super Mario)
Chun-Li (Street Fighter)Peach (Super Mario)
Juri (Street Fighter)Bowser (Super Mario)
Haggar (Final Fight)Donkey Kong (Donkey Kong)
Leon S. Kennedy (Resident Evil)Link (The Legend of Zelda)
Lady Dimitrescu (Resident Evil)Ganondorf (The Legend of Zelda)
Zero (Mega Man Zero)Lucario (Pokémon)
Tron Bonne (Mega Man Legends)Tinkaton (Pokémon)
Nero (Devil May Cry)Samus (Metroid)
Viewtiful Joe (Viewtiful Joe)Susie (Kirby)
Amaterasu (Okami)Timerra (Fire Emblem)
Nina (Breath of Fire)Nia (Xenoblade)
Phoenix Wright (Ace Attorney)Isabelle (Animal Crossing)
Firebrand (Demon's Crest)Agent 3 (Splatoon)
Morrigan Aensland (Darkstalkers)Sukapon (Joy Mech Fight)
Tessa (Red Earth)Lip (Panel de Pon)
Rathalos (Monster Hunter)Bulborb (Pikmin)
Devilotte & Super-8 (Cyberbots)Mike & ST Falcon (Battle Clash)

Twintelle (ARMS) and Rouge (Power Stone) just barely didn't make the cut here (being popular faces from 3D fighters makes them an obvious pairing); easy shoe-ins for DLC, perhaps. Pit would be awesome in a versus game with the variety of weapons he can use in Uprising; pair him up with Monster Hunter for another easy DLC selection. Pikachu and Kirby are the most obvious snubs on the Nintendo side, but their small bodies are going to make them tough to work in a more traditional fighter like this. Susie is here as a personal choice, but also because she pairs with Tron perfectly; and Lucario is incredibly popular even if it isn't the brand mascot. Did think about Captain Pikachu from the current anime for a moment though.

I really wanted to fit in Poison, but the DK vs Haggar matchup is just too perfect to leave out (plus the Capcom side needed another big body). Similar story for Rashid; he really needs a shot in the Versus series eventually but with the roster size so tight I couldn't include too many SF universe characters, and Juri is both super popular and an antagonist. On a slightly larger roster i'd make the space for more Mega Man characters (Classic Mega Man, Sigma, Roll.EXE) so i'm really holding myself back on that end. For giant characters I had Doshin, Ridley, Hauzer and G-Red on my short list; but the two pairings I ended up with fit pretty well, two natural monsters and two mechas. Plenty of other names I had to get rid of to cut down both sides, but it'll take forever to list them all.

Last edited:
Some interesting character choices.

NintendoCapcom
MarioRyu
Sheriff Unknown Soldier (Forgotten Worlds)
Donkey KongJon Talbain
SamusRegina (Dino Crisis)
ZeldaTrish (DMC)
CaedaNina (BoF)
TakamaruMasamune Date
Mr. SandmanChun-li
PalutenaAmaterasu
Jody SummerJune (Star Gladiator)
ST FalconRathalos
Kyle HydePhoenix Wright
Jill DozerMegaman
TwintelleNathan Spencer