• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Music Your favorite albums of 2023?

EvilChameleon

Rockenberg Enthusiast
Pronouns
he/him
With less than a week left in the year of 2023, and not much else coming out musically the rest of the way, the time to ask the obvious question is now. What are your favorite albums of 2023?

I'll start with my unquestioned album of the year; Cracker Island by Gorillaz. My goodness I love the sound of this album. Silent Running, Baby Queen, and Skinny Ape got numerous repeats at the start of the year, then after the album actually came out, so did The Tired Influencer.

Next I'll toss it over to the artist who might one day have more songs in her vault than Prince; Carly Rae Jepsen and The Loveliest Time. Anything To Be With You is a rare slow build album opener from her, but the rest of the album, from Shy Boy on down to my favorite track, Stadium Love, is just banger after banger.

Finally, a live album rounds out my top three; Live @ Radio City Music Hall by Bleachers. This is one of the most energetic live albums I have ever heard. It even got me to appreciate more of the songs from Take The Sadness Out Of Saturday Night, which I originally had a meh opinion on.

I'll give honorable mentions to the 10th anniversary edition of The Bones Of What You Believe by CHVRCHES and 1989 (Taylor's Version) by Taylor Swift.

This one is pretty good:

IMG-1114.jpg

I haven’t listened to a lot of full albums this year though.

The 10th anniversary edition of CHVCHES’ The Bones Of What You Believe kind of feels bad. I remember hearing “The Mother We Share” for the first time then passing on like $7 tickets to see them live. 🤦‍♀️

Janelle Monae's Age of Pleasure dropped in June and I've been stuck listening to it since. Every track is a feel-good or hype-you-up anthem with her full sensuality on display.

Been following her since her Metropolis days so I'm super biased. But at the same time, seeing her evolve as an artist over the years has been a real blessing and a treat.

Sparklehorse - Bird Machine
Mitski - This Land Is Inhospitable And So Are We
Boygenius - the record
Sufjan Stevens - Javelin
ANOHNI and the Johnsons - My Back Was a Bridge for You to Cross
Harp - Albion
Anjimile - The King

some of my favs - sure ive had others ive listened to and loved as well but i did end up listening to a lot of comfort/older music this year because a lot of stuff happened

Lots of great music came out this year and Tesseract’s War of Being is my AOTY.

However, Vildhjarta dropped a new song yesterday and that song is like, better than all other albums released this year combined.

This one is pretty good:

IMG-1114.jpg

I haven’t listened to a lot of full albums this year though.

The 10th anniversary edition of CHVCHES’ The Bones Of What You Believe kind of feels bad. I remember hearing “The Mother We Share” for the first time then passing on like $7 tickets to see them live. 🤦‍♀️
I wasn’t expecting to see The Beaches in here, let alone post #2! ❤️ This is mine as well and they blew the doors off the place when I saw them live.

Special shoutout to the Old Gods of Asgard compilation. It only has a few new songs, but it’s all I’ve been listening to for like a month lol.

Can’t remember any rap from this year at all, which is weird for me.

Queens of the Stoneage's "In Times New Roman" is another banger in their already fantastic discography, even if it's not as raw as their older stuff. Straight Jacket Fitting and Paper Machete alone make this one of my favourites of them. (then again, I also really liked the much maligned Villains, so what do I know)

Honorable mention to Lungfish's "Love is Love", which is a bit older but I just discovered them this year. So unlike many other things I usually listen to. Especially "Lay yourself away" just blew me away.

I'm mostly listening to music from years ago, soundtracks, classical, older pop and jazz. If I had to pick one album that came out this year I enjoy, it's Technically, Probably More Of The Same, I Suppose, In Theory by Jazz Emu, it's good fun.

Did not listen to as many new albums this year because my schedule was nuts, but the ones I did really enjoy the ones I did.

Foo Fighters - But here we Are (their best album in a decade for sure.)

Sparks - The Girl is Crying in her Late (Really fun experimental album, wild to think the Mael Brothers are in their late 70's writing bops like this! I hope when I'm at their age I'il still be this creatively motivated.)

Sluice - Archiviste ( Local band from Nova-Scotia, songs are mostly in Acadian french, but even if you don't speak french the music stands on it's own and has an infectious energy.)

Gorillaz - Cracker Island (Lots of good stuff on it, didin't like it as much as Song Machine but the title track is already one of my favorite Gorillaz Tracks)

This was probably one of my most played songs this year, put this on whenever I need to get a boost of energy to get something done.

Honorable mention to Lungfish's "Love is Love", which is a bit older but I just discovered them this year. So unlike many other things I usually listen to. Especially "Lay yourself away" just blew me away.
I nearly fell off my chair reading this like, "THERE'S A NEW LUNGFISH????"

:(

since i haven’t seen it mentioned, i wanna call out ‘Desire, I Want To Turn Into You’ by Caroline Polacheck. my favorite and most listened to album of the year, with the song ‘I Believe’ being my most listened to song of the year.

she is an absolute goddess of indie pop and truly can do no wrong !

also really enjoyed these as well:

‘Heaven Knows’ by PinkPantheress
‘In the End It Always Does’ by The Japanese House
‘STARFUCKER’ by Slayyyter.

here’s hoping for a new Clairo and beabadoobee release this year. 🤞

Back
Top Bottom