• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion You now remember Nintendo's short-lived "There's No Play Like It" slogan

Wockio

Kikwi Enthusiast
Pronouns
He
Nintendo's "There's No Play Like It" slogan popped up during the tail end of the 3DS era, when they had completely given up on the Wii U and concentrated all their marketing efforts on the 3DS, or rather, the 2DS to buy time until the arrival of the Switch.

w1CBZZY.jpeg

It somewhat bothers me that they dropped this like a hot potato as soon as the Switch was out since the Play icon looks like a Joy-Con.
Picking Play as your highlight out of every other phrase you could have gone for when your competitor's brand is the PlayStation is certainly a choice though.

For me (and I might be mid-remembering), this was the return to the red and white branding after the gray and white branding of the Wii/DS/Wii U era.

I do remember this actually. I believe this was around the time when Nintendo was also reintroducing their classic red and white color scheme as a core part of their branding. In retrospect, it almost feels like a pre-cursor/test for the Switch-era brand iconography.

Hmm, this sounds made up as I don’t remember it at all so I can only determine that this is either a straight up Mandela Effect or I fell into that alternate universe again. On the bright side, Pizza Poppa Pizza Balls are quite good.

I vaguely remember this, but I feel like it was during a time when NX fever swept every forum under the sun and it was somewhat forgettable anyway.

I remember lurking on NeoGaf at the time and the thread about this slogan being half comprised of people who didn't understand the wordplay and thought it was weird broken English.

This is the commercial I most remember the slogan being used in. The line "have Pikachu use a Z-Move, noob" is still ingrained in my subconscious.

Eh, it’s no “Who Are You?”

For me (and I might be mid-remembering), this was the return to the red and white branding after the gray and white branding of the Wii/DS/Wii U era.

I’m reminded of how happy I was Nintendo moved away from the grey during that period. That was such a dull era for their logos and such.

I remember this because it was around the time they started using red for their branding again. The theory at the time was that it was foreshadowing the next system, which ended up being true.

I might have seen one or two ads because this seems faintly familiar to me.

I genuinely have never heard this before and feel like I’m being Berenstained
It depends on what you were looking at back in 2016/2017 I guess lol

But yeah I always liked how this picture looked for the marketing. Nintendo already transitioned from Wii/Wii U era grey letters on white background to the superior white letters on red background but still felt like a glimpse of "what's next".

There's something funny about having Disney Magical World 2 next to Pokemon Sun and Moon. It reminds me of when they listed Disney's Planes alongside a few other third party games coming to Wii U.

god I thought I imagined this

personally: I hate it, I don’t think it works, and it feels like watching two uncles phased into some sort of quadruped tripping and falling down the stairs

basement stairs

but that’s just me

Back
Top Bottom