• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

News Yosuke Saito, Yoko Taro, and Keiichi Okabe working on a new project – "It might be NieR, it might not be NieR"

MissingNo.

𝑺𝑬𝑬 𝒀𝑶𝑼 𝑺𝑷𝑨𝑪𝑬 𝑪𝑶𝑾𝑩𝑶𝒀...
Pronouns
he/him

For reference, Yosuke Saito and Yoko Taro have previously worked together as producer and director of the NieR series, with Okabe as composer. Taro and Okabe have also collaborated on the Voice of Cards games.

In a discussion with former Capcom producer Hiroyuki Kobayashi, who is now leading GPTRACK50 under NetEase Games, Saito said, “I’ve been talking about wanting to do something with Yoko and Okabe for some time now. I’ll have something a bit more put-together to say in the not-too-distant future, so please stay tuned. It might be NieR, it might not be NieR. (Laughs.) That’s about all I can say for now.

Saito also said that he has another project in the works.

“I’m doing various things with the idea of creating something that does not yet exist,” Saito said. “I can’t devote my time to that fully, so most of it has been left to the staff, but it’s turning into something quite interesting. I’m looking forward to the day we can announce it.”

Saito's involvement might hint towards it being another entry in the NieR series, but it will be interesting to see their next project regardless. Potential TGS reveal incoming?

And the animal next to me, that looks like a cat, meows like a cat, has fur like a cat might not be a cat, but a lizard, right?

My next post might be a shitpost, it might not be a shitpost. Stay tuned!

Didn't Taro say that he had a game with Saito coming that wasn't Nier just a little while ago? I'm relatively sure he did. (That said he could have been bullshitting us ahah)

Didn't Taro say that he had a game with Saito coming that wasn't Nier just a little while ago? I'm relatively sure he did. (That said he could have been bullshitting us ahah)
I believe Saito himself said it was a new game that wasn't NieR haha... now he's started the dang producers on trolling...

It would be funny if history were to repeat itself. NieR Atomata released in 2017. So did Nintendo Switch.

Nintendo Switch 2 is likely 2025. Your move, Taro.

tbh I don't care if it's Nier but as long as it's something at a similar level of scope and gameplay. Those smaller games and the mobile Nier game just ain't doing it for me as far as Yoko Taro projects are concerned.

I hope it's not nier but at the same time it'd be cool if it was. I was under the impression that Saito and Yoko Taro were working on a new IP from that one interview he did. If it's more nier that's cool, I just don't want to play as 2B again. Would rather have someone new.

I hope it's not nier but at the same time it'd be cool if it was. I was under the impression that Saito and Yoko Taro were working on a new IP from that one interview he did. If it's more nier that's cool, I just don't want to play as 2B again. Would rather have someone new.

He mentioned a while back that Automata is a done story. Which makes me wonder what NieR 3 could be. Perhaps something in the same universe but a very far flung future.

The Nier games as they stand are basically standalone stories where you have to dig really hard to find connections to the other games. If/when they do a third Nier I'd expect more of the same. Like @Irene said, probably something set far in the distant future even if it's the same world.

The Nier games as they stand are basically standalone stories where you have to dig really hard to find connections to the other games. If/when they do a third Nier I'd expect more of the same. Like @Irene said, probably something set far in the distant future even if it's the same world.
I'm well aware and while that's true, Nier Automata sold 8 million copies and has an anime. If they made an automata 2 I would not be surprised, that possible future is what was worrying me. I feel like square enix would be way more inclined to give the series closer ties to each game due to its very apparent success.

I'm well aware and while that's true, Nier Automata sold 8 million copies and has an anime. If they made an automata 2 I would not be surprised, that possible future is what was worrying me. I feel like square enix would be way more inclined to give the series closer ties to each game due to its very apparent success.
Ah yeah, I getcha. I do hope they continue giving Taro creative freedom and that Nier 3 is a story he wants to tell instead of being a Squeenix cashgrab.

Actually does anyone know if Taro holds the rights to the Nier story and characters, or if they're held by Square? I could see him pushing back against a cashgrab Automata sequel if he actually owns the Nier story/characters.

Back
Top Bottom