• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Xbox Game Studios' Pentiment and Grounded are coming to Nintendo Switch (both out now!)

Has anyone tried Pentiment on Switch yet? Wanna make sure it's a good port before I get it.
I played through the first day last night and haven't had any issues. It's a 2D adventure game, there's no need to be concerned with performance

Pentiment ranks as the 161st best selling game on the Switch eShop for the last two weeks.

..... I don't know why Microsoft did this?

Why open the door further for third-party stuff if the games you're going to port over are going to sell very poorly?

huh, didn't know info like that was available beyond the top 20 or so. where can i see the chart?

Select Search/Browse, select Other Search Filters, choose software as your filter, then search, it will be sorted by best selling software and then you can manually count what spot software is in.

Other people have done this this week and Pentiment is #161.

Does Pentiment have any actual gameplay or is it mostly about narrative?
It looks really interesting, but I don't care that much for stories in gaming.

Pentiment ranks as the 161st best selling game on the Switch eShop for the last two weeks.

..... I don't know why Microsoft did this?

Why open the door further for third-party stuff if the games you're going to port over are going to sell very poorly?
Pretty hard to have value in your games when you put them on gamepass which can run off Xcloud.

Played about 5 hours of Pentiment so far. It's pretty interesting. It's a mix of visual novel, adventure game, with time mechanics like Persona. It's a pretty slow pace game. That first few hours is just you getting to know the characters before the whole murder mystery the whole plot is centered around kicks off. You run away town talking to people and searching for clues on who committed the murder. Some of your actions and the background you select for your character will dictate if certain dialogue options are available or whether you pass or fail to sway someone you're questioning. Some actions progress time forward which is where the Persona aspect comes you. You may need to decided who you're going to question or what you're going to do. Some events and people are only available at certain times of the day.

It has a unique art style and it really utilizes it's 16th century setting. Lots of Church politics and references to cultures and social issues of the time. It's only $20 so if you're looking for a mystery adventure game to sit back to, I'd recommend checking it out.

I get the impression Pentiment still doesn't appeal to a significant wider group of people, even outside the already more Western-centric tastes of the Xbox ecosysem. That said, the lack of fanfair around the release - being shoved aside in the Direct even! - probably hasn't helped.

As for me? I've already got one RPG on my plate. This can wait.

I wouldn't call Pentiment an RPG, at least not in a way most people consider RPGs. You don't level up or anything. Essentially the background you pick early on opens specific dialogue options and actions while preventing others. For example, I chose that my character studied law and the occult in university. That means whenever those topics are brought up, I'm given unique dialogue options. You also choose where your character had been living prior to the events of the game. This will determine what languages he knows. So I think my character knows French but doesn't know Italian. So if they encounter a book written in French, he'll be able to read it but if there's a note in Italian, he won't.

When you're speaking with a character, some chooses gives you essentially positive and negative points for that character. If you want a character to do something for you later in the game, you of course will want more positive points. In one example, you are trying to convince an NPC to do you a favor. The game will tally your positive and negative points (which will be shown in screen). If you have enough points to pass a specific threshold, the NPC will do you the favor. But if not, they won't.

Most dialogue options don't reward any points and it isn't always when specific chooses will give said points. You can unknowingly pick an option that annoys an NPC. When points are being awarded, you'll get a prompt saying that the NPC will remember that like in the Telltale adventure games.

Apparently Pentiment on Switch and PS were outsourced, but no-one has ever said to who. Who did it end up being? Double Eleven are doing Grounded on Switch and PS, with Lucid Games seemingly being behind Sea of Thieves on PS5.

Just wanted to give some love to Pentiment. When it was announced that this game was being ported to Switch I already felt it would not meet much of an expanded audience (on Switch and PS) but it deserves much more attention if you love well written adventures in the spirit of "The name of the rose".

My very initial impression was negative truth be told. The art style took some getting used to and the pacing is slow at first with a seemingly limitless amount of people to talk to. But this changes very rapidly and is simply needed to build up a sense of urgency and care for the characters and the world they inhabit.

Just finished the second chapter (out of three) and already wishing the game would last much longer than that, but absolutely appreciating this unique experience. Give it a try!

Switch and PS5 trailers are very similar but Switch version uses the actual game on Switch. Which looks much better than the first trailer.

Also it'll never be not funny that the Obsidian, who talked shit about Wii back then, now have 5 games on Switch! Switch really has become a big mind changer.

I was always more excited for Grounded than I was Pentiment, so I'm excited to finally pick this up later!

It's your run of the mill miracle port for Switch. Sub-native res, reduced details and foliage but seems to have steady 30 fps and the game itself isn't compromised at all. So far it's pretty fun, much more inviting than other exploration/base building stuff like Minecraft or NMS. Collect simple resources, craft stuff. Can't wait to reach to the point where I build massive structures.

Back
Top Bottom