• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

News Xbox closes Arkane Austin, Tango Gameworks, and others.

Wonder if they'd outsource the succ's version of Hi-Fi Rush or if that's dead. Part of me wonders with the weird ratings business if some build of it already exists for the new hardware

That’s crazy, what a day for news.

I’m actually shocked that they closed down these four studios, especially tango works, since they had the most potential, also upset for everyone who worked their, hopefully they’ll find employment soon enough.

Lastly I wouldn’t be surprised if gamepass is probably a huge miscalculation since the expensive of keeping it running and also the lack of sales, especially for a studio like tango work.

I’m curious if Microsoft will continue working on redfall, since the pre order promised consistent updates and 2 heroes.

Overall extremely upsetting news and sad how a trillion dollar company can’t manage Xbox for the life of them.

These are 2 of the only studios that make AAA games that I have any interest in and the reason why I have an Xbox.
I really thought they would be safe under Microsoft. This sucks bad.

As someone who's currently going through The Evil Within 2 for the first time and adoring it, I'm absolutely gutted.

Just throwing away the studios that gave us Hi-Fi Rush and Prey like it's nothing... Man.

This is probably just the start. I can't imagine people at Double Fine, Obsidian, or Ninja Theory are feeling good right now.

Yeah fk Microsoft and the people who cheered Microsoft for buying companies. They somehow thought Microsoft was some savior.

that it's entirely related to investor driven gold-fever demanding absurd results and then throwing employees to the wolves when impossible demands prove to impossible.
Well that part is certainly obvious.

Thanks for confirming Lyons wasn’t hit. Absolutely crap news and I don’t really follow XBox that closely.

i can not express how furiuos this make me like why WHY WHY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i pray to allah that every one that was responsible for that never know success ever again

For my opinion, Microsoft need to terminate Xbox and focus it's others game studios for PC & Gamepass. Xbox not relevant anymore 😒

this is fucked. Like what the hell are they even doing over there. We see this time and time again. Major corporations buying up several studios just to mishandle them and close them for good. All of these a horrible losses, but Tango going away is awful. They made one of the Best games/IPS for Xbox in years, and the reward they get for it is unemployment.

I wouldn't feel safe working for any company with Microsoft at the moment.

Unbelievable. And utterly unacceptable.

All these hurt, and my heart is with all of those employees affected. But Tango definitely wounds me on a personal level, because I loved their stuff so much. Mikami basically trusted this studio was in good hands with those he left in charge, after he made his departure. Just for this to happen a little more than year after his departure. I can't imagine how he must feel.

Well that part is certainly obvious.

Thanks for confirming Lyons wasn’t hit. Absolutely crap news and I don’t really follow XBox that closely.
It's obvious, but usually people who are still employed don't say that sorta thing about their bosses. The only ones who have been going off in anger at this particular style of doing business are those who have been laid off, at least until now. Now the complaints are coming from inside the house so to speak.

I am in fucking pain. Hi Fi Rush was SO GOOD. Evil Within 2 was great! Hell, even Evil Within one was interesting if hampered by suits demanding RE4-2
Fuck this industry.

other than halo xbox's introduction to the industry has been nothing but a load of shit ruining everything at every turn.

please just get out of hardware at this point.

I'm genuinely hurt. Hifi was my goty last year and it rocketed up into my top 10 all time, and its just dead. Just like that, the IP is done. I'm so, so upset right now. It's unreal. Fuck MS, and fuck acquisitions. Didn't even live for a year and a half.

I hope everyone affected can land on their feet somewhere else but Tango really hurts me the most, this sucks.

What terrible fucking news to come home to after work.

Not Tango, you absolute shit baskets.

Yeah, at least papa EA had the decency of publishing games before shooting their studios in the back of the head. Xbox is just a black hole that swallows people's labor for years without much to show for it.
for real. every single one of Microsoft's first party games enters development hell, management problems all over. i didn't even mention 343.

"focus on our priority games"

sounds like the Game Pass gambit is not paying off

Just thoroughly confused about firing Arkane Austni because they are the support developer for Lyon! How are they gonna make Blade without that talent being there / significantly downsized (AH HELLO MICROSOFT CONTRACTED WORKER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

this shit is never going to fucking change in the west, just a never ending slate of misery

The Tango Gameworks closing is just the big shock to me. I...don't get it. Just complete braindead nonsense. Microsoft having their lil Embracer moment it seems.

quote from the late Satoru Iwata

"If we reduce the number of employees for better short-term financial results, employee morale will decrease. I sincerely doubt employees who fear that they may be laid off will be able to develop software titles that could impress people around the world."

What makes this so much worse is that neither studio even got the chance to make a game that was greenlit, developed, and released completely underneath the Microsoft umbrella. Ghostwire, Redfall & Hi-Fi Rush were all released and/or in development before MS's acquisition of Bethesda, so their eventual release was a near-given; Microsoft wasn't going to cancel them when so much of the work and funding had already been done. Pretty much the instant they got to the stage where they were entirely reliant on Microsoft... they were shuttered.

What a shitshow.

I can see Machine games becoming a COD studio after Indiana Jones.

Bethesda’s going to become an Elder Scrolls/Fallout factory.

Xbox closing Tango, Take-Two closing Roll7, heck we can go back as far as Sony closing Japan Studio

Sucks how these big publishers just love closing their most interesting studios

"hmmm what should we do with the studio that developed our only universally acclaimed first party game in 2023? ah, yes, close them!"

incompetence would not even begin to describe the xbox brass behind this. what a fucking tragedy.

Microsoft is continuing to ruin and destroy Xbox themselves it seems. Absolutely brain dead people running it.

man oh man, I just wanna say fuck to all those people that were championning those acquisitions, anyone with half a brain would have seen this coming but NOOO, for some reason the hyper capitalistic microsoft wasn't gonna go for short term gains at some point by laying off people and closing down studios.
My only surprise is that's it's happening even faster than I expected.

What makes this so much worse is that neither studio even got the chance to make a game that was greenlit, developed, and released completely underneath the Microsoft umbrella. Ghostwire, Redfall & Hi-Fi Rush were all released and/or in development before MS's acquisition of Bethesda, so their eventual release was a near-given; Microsoft wasn't going to cancel them when so much of the work and funding had already been done. Pretty much the instant they got to the stage where they were entirely reliant on Microsoft... they were shuttered.

What a shitshow.
Exactly, I thought their first games green lit under Microsoft would be games that the studio wanted to make, pretty much guaranteeing high quality releases built on the studio’s Strenghts. Fuck Microsoft and most of all fuck me for Championing Microsoft for ‘Saving’ Bethesda.

Writing was kind of on the wall for Tango after their main guy left, but it's odd considering how well received Hi-fi Rush was.

wjbgZtV.png

Is Xbox like... hurting that badly? I genuinely don't see the point in this otherwise. They're putting so many people out of jobs and it feels so dire.

What is the end goal in all this? To finally start making returns on their acquisition of Activision/Blizzard? To make up for losses so they can save face? Like... I wish I could understand these decisions. Actually, scratch that, I don't think I want to understand why someone could justify this kind of behavior.

Anyways, my heart goes out to those affected. Hope they can bounce back on their feet, they all sound like talented people.

Tango closing is nuts. Really nuts… you don’t fire tour best MVP for the last season because you lost the championship. It’s completely bonkers.

They just bought things without any planning.

They already confirmed they aren't stopping with Xbox consoles.
They might not be, but I certainly am.

I have considered myself something of an Xbox fan over the years. Even during the Xbox One era I still bought one (as well as a PS4) because I love Forza, I love Gears, I enjoy Halo from time to time, I like their actual hardware (they make the best controllers IMO) and I love when they got weird. I truly and genuinely believed that Game Pass was going to be the definitive avenue for them to fund/release cool, interesting, unique and weird games alongside their huge, infrequent hits. Going into this generation, I felt they were on the backfoot. They were underdogs in a bad spot and needed to pull themselves back up, which is often when game companies do their best stuff, so I was excited. In 2020 I felt the Series X was set up to be a return to the greatness of the 360.

Here I am in 2024, feeling like a fucking sucker for believing anything positive about Xbox. They haven't had nearly enough games so far. And when they do have games they're usually just not good enough, like Starfield, or Halo Infinite, or Redfall. And when they ARE good enough, like Hi-Fi Rush, they shut the fucking studio down!

Look, I'm not stupid: Microsoft is a corporation whose primary objective is to increase shareholder value. Money drives all decisions for them. They spent 70 Billion on Call of Duty and that will probably be profitable for them so good for them, they made the shareholders happy.

But I'm done with them after this generation. They have done nothing to reassure me my investment in the Xbox ecosystem has been worth it, and have actively shown me that my values and preferences for games simply does not align with their profit goals.

Back
Top Bottom