• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Xbox Xbox 360 store closing July 29th 2024

crepuscule

Bob-omb

On July 29, 2024, Xbox will stop supporting the ability to purchase new games, DLC, and other entertainment content from the Xbox 360 Store on the console and the Xbox 360 Marketplace (marketplace.xbox.com)
Related to this change, the Microsoft Movies & TV app will no longer function on Xbox 360, which means TV and movie content will no longer be viewable on your Xbox 360 after July 29th, 2024.

Not surprised given how janky buying Xbox 360 games been. You can still buy backwards compatible games on later consoles but this'll still probably leave some games without legitimate purchase methods.

FAQ in the linked article

The end of an era, I'll need to go through and see if there is anything only available on 360 that I will want to pick up.

This is mentioned in the OP, but I figured it was worth highlighting the most relevant clarification from the FAQ:
Can I still buy and play Xbox 360 backward-compatible titles?

There is no impact to purchasing or playing backward-compatible Xbox 360 titles. After July 29, 2024, you will still be able to purchase hundreds of great backward-compatible Xbox 360 and Original Xbox games and DLC on Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S, and Xbox.com. We believe in celebrating gaming’s rich history and have worked hard to preserve as many games as possible through our backward-compatibility program. You can find the full list of backward-compatible titles here.

For those who wish to continue playing Xbox 360 games on Xbox Series X|S, we’ve taken the time to enhance those titles so they look and play better than ever before, while staying true to the original version. You can play those Xbox 360 titles with FPS Boost, Auto HDR, and faster loading times.

Why physical is so important, all these storefronts (yes even the switch eshop in the future) will shut down at some point, im glad I have such a big physical library of games so that they never are unplayable once these storefronts shut down. we lost so many games when the 3ds and wii u eshop stores shut down and now the same with the 360 store

I'm glad almost all of the 7th gen PSN and Xbox Store's contents have been dumped online now. No-intro and redump groups are lifesavers for preservation.

Honestly the fact it has been kept open for this long is kinda crazy, and you have a full year to make any last second purchases. The 360 store will probably see more sales in the next year thanks to this closing announcement then it's probably had in the past 5 combined.

im glad I have such a big physical library of games so that they never are unplayable once these storefronts shut down.

It can be so easy for a physical disc to get damaged or scratched with enough play, kids around, etc.

I do appreciate Microsoft's general approach to backwards compatibility. And I appreciate all of the preservationists and archivists out there!

It can be so easy for a physical disc to get damaged or scratched with enough play, kids around, etc.

I do appreciate Microsoft's general approach to backwards compatibility. And I appreciate all of the preservationists and archivists out there!
Yeah microsoft have been pretty good with archiving, it's nintendo who is really the worst with it and needs to get better or we will lose more games and never be able to play them again like all the wiiu/3ds eshop only games

Yeah microsoft have been pretty good with archiving, it's nintendo who is really the worst with it and needs to get better or we will lose more games and never be able to play them again like all the wiiu/3ds eshop only games
Nintendo has been good with archiving their content. Their archive is private, but they do have stuff archived. Their stuff isn't accessible to the public as easily.

Nintendo's actually the best at archiving. They have design documents, source codes, etc well beyond what most everyone thought possible until the gigaleak showed a peek behind the curtain

Making them avaliable to actually play is a different story, but Nintendo has them and can make them avaliable whenever they feel like. Lots of other compaines source codes are just straight up missing or gone.

Nintendo's actually the best at archiving. They have design documents, source codes, etc well beyond what most everyone thought possible until the gigaleak showed a peek behind the curtain

Making them avaliable to actually play is a different story, but Nintendo has them and can make them avaliable whenever they feel like. Lots of other compaines source codes are just straight up missing or gone.
Yeah I was talking more about the later stuff ,the games actually being able to be played by the general users rather then being delisted and unplayable

Last edited:

Disc rot is far bigger concern for preservation of physical media in 100+ years then kids accidentally damaging it.

Will we see Completionist's video for this? "I bought every game on Xbox 360 before it close down"?

If you own an Xbox 360 and has never given Mirror's Edge a whirl, I can't recommend it enough.
This post hit me like a bolt of lightning, I haven’t played the original in so long and I adored it! Downloading it now. Thank you for the shoutout! 👏

So, If I buy an XBSS after that date, I will not be able to buy 360/OG XB games?
You will be able to buy any OG XBOX or 360 games which are part of the BC program which apparently amounts to about a quarter of the games.

Edit: Wikipedia says this is 633 out of 2154 360 games and 63 out of 996 Xbox games

You will be able to buy any OG XBOX or 360 games which are part of the BC program which apparently amounts to about a quarter of the games.
So, if they are not part of the program, I wouldn't be able to play them on an anyway XBSX, right? Or is it some crazy case like PS3 and Vita games?

Why physical is so important, all these storefronts (yes even the switch eshop in the future) will shut down at some point, im glad I have such a big physical library of games so that they never are unplayable once these storefronts shut down. we lost so many games when the 3ds and wii u eshop stores shut down and now the same with the 360 store
Or you can just download all your games to your 1TB Xbox Series X

It’s already full because COD takes 500 GB? Put all of your retro games in a 1, 2, 4 TB HDD

How are they “unplayable when these storefronts shut down”, it just means that you can’t buy them digitally anymore on an old console. You own the game on your account. You can buy it without worrying about scratches, disc rot or ridiculous prices. The digital store closes? Well now you just need to make sure that everything you own is patched and downloaded. That’s literally it, yet every time a storefront gets shut down people bring it up as if it’s this big gotcha against digital, as if buying digital games was the equivalent of the initial Xbox One DRM and that they were always online and “would be unplayable when the servers close”. It’s just not that at all

Or you can just download all your games to your 1TB Xbox Series X

It’s already full because COD takes 500 GB? Put all of your retro games in a 1, 2, 4 TB HDD

How are they “unplayable when these storefronts shut down”, it just means that you can’t buy them digitally anymore on an old console. You own the game on your account. You can buy it without worrying about scratches, disc rot or ridiculous prices. The digital store closes? Well now you just need to make sure that everything you own is patched and downloaded. That’s literally it, yet every time a storefront gets shut down people bring it up as if it’s this big gotcha against digital, as if buying digital games was the equivalent of the initial Xbox One DRM and that they were always online and “would be unplayable when the servers close”. It’s just not that at all
It's really simple. Not everyone is around at the time a console is providing its online store. Physical games can still be bought used many decades after they were released. Games my mother played 40 years ago on the Phillips Videopac G7400 are still routinely available on eBay. But if I want to buy a digital only Xbox 360 game in the year 2025, just 20 years after the console's release and perhaps as soon as 12 years after the game's release I will not be able to.

Most of this doesn't really matter as most games are available via piracy but it would be nice to have a legal option you know.

We need to start going a list of games that will be lost forever once they close the store (Games available only in digital form and without backwards compatibility )

In that way i can overspend in games i will not play anytime soon , like with the 3DS (y) 😎

backwards compatibility is a godsend here, ensuring this isn't a complete disaster like what happened with the Wii U and 3DS (+ nearly happened with the PS3/Vita)

VGC has noted roughly 220 digital only games are unaccounted for thanks to not being supported. (albeit the list includes several titles that are readily available on other platforms.)
it seems reasonable to me that Microsoft might do an extra batch of BC titles before the shutdown to close the gap a bit, considering there's multiple unusual findings that seem to be for it. (the 2009 Wolfenstein game has frequently shown up in Xbox store marketing despite not being available, and Sonic 06 was quietly relisted digitally last year.)

it's worth noting that buying a backwards compatible game off the Xbox One/Series marketplace also gives you the license for it on 360, so you'll still technically be able to buy & download 360 games for the original hardware even after the marketplace is closed on the console.

there's now an official statement from Phil Spencer on the matter.
The work on the 360 storefront was really just about the hardware and the lifespan of the hardware. We know how many people are playing 360 games on the 360. It's a pretty small community. The community of buyers is very, very small. So as the back end - which is tied to that hardware, roughly - starts to kind of bring down just from a sustainability [point], and almost all the players have moved on, we're like, 'okay, we can focus our effort on where the players are and where they can buy'. So you can still go buy all the back compat games, all the multiplayer stuff all works. I think that's pretty cool.

There's a list of, what 220 games that are not back compat, and I have that list and I've got it stapled on my forehead, and like, how can we make sure [you can play them still?] How many of those are on PC? That's one thing, because it doesn't necessarily mean you need to be able to play it on the existing hardware that you bought 15 years ago, but preservation is front and centre when all these decisions are made. I will say for us that preservation that's linked to only one piece of hardware is a challenge. Because there can be hardware love as well - people who love and want this device to do this forever - but mechanical things will break over time. But that's why we gave people with this decision a year. Let's say 'hey, if you want to go buy things in the 360 store, we're going to give you a year headstart, and you can go get those things'. And just know that the list of the 220 games is something that we see, and we would love to find solutions for those games to continue to play.
i think it matches up with my general expectation that the backwards compatibility team is actively looking into the missing titles (particularly exclusives) and is trying to see how many they can add before the shutdown.

been seeing some coverage about the servers having problems in the lead up to the closure.
There are multiple problems to be faced when navigating the console's online store. Some games have already been delisted so you can't buy them, but there are other cases of owned games that cannot be re-downloaded, items in your download history showing as 'not available', games purchased on other Xbox consoles (like the Xbox One) not appearing on your Xbox 360, Xbox 360 content shown on Xbox One / Series S that cannot be purchased and downloaded games flat-out refusing to boot up. In short, it's a mess.
for the record. I can vouch that the download history and Xbox One purchases not transferring correctly has been a thing for months prior to Microsoft’s announcement.
the latter in particular seems tied to promotions/game pass. as I specifically remember an incident where Microsoft accidentally gave out Psychonauts for free on the store, which while it wasn’t pulled off people’s accounts like previous incidents. you weren’t given access to the game on 360 despite it being an early downloadable title for the console.

not to mention that the PS3/Vita stores aren’t faring much better, to the point where Sony is flat out forcing people to create custom passkeys if you want to log-in on those systems,

Back
Top Bottom