• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Fun Club Wuhu Wednesday

slide's

Lucky bumper
Pronouns
he/him
wuhu-wednesday.png

it's April 24, 2024, and, if you can believe it, it's Wuhu Wednesday once again. as we all say this time every week: "Woohoo!"

i love Wuhu Island! since its debut as "Wii Fit Island" in 2007's Wii Fit, onto its show-stealing performances in the "Resort" variants of the long-running Wii Sports and Pilotwings series, and its beloved cameos in the most recent Mario Karts and Smash Broses—this specific geographic location returning as the setting for multiple games is one of my absolute favorite Nintendo concepts.
running around in Wii Fit's jogging-in-place mode was really cool on its own, with multiple routes across the island and a bunch of different landmarks to see on each run, but we had no idea what wonders were in store for us at the time. when Wii Sports Resort released and every single sport took place in a different part of the island, plus there was the iconic Island Flyover mode that encouraged nothing but freeform Wuhu exploration: that was true gaming magic. while some other Nintendo classics (notably Super Mario Sunshine) have allowed you to see other levels from the one you were in, this was the most cohesive, spatially-sound world design Nintendo had ever achieved, and across so many styles of gameplay! so when Wuhu Island returned again in Pilotwings Resort, it already felt like the back of our hand: intimately familiar, and ever more pleasant to behold in stereoscopic 3D.

it's been nearly ten years since Wuhu Island had a wholly original appearance in a game, as its most recent appearances as a battle course in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and as a stage in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate are reprisals of earlier roles in those series—but even acknowledging those, it's still been over a half decade since we've gotten to see Wuhu Island in a new game! i couldn't even tell you what made-up nonsense worlds Ring Fit Adventure or Nintendo Switch Sports take place in, and that's just a little bit upsetting!

why make this thread now, when we're all so used to observing Wuhu Wednesday on our own each week, without feeling the need to talk about it publicly? well, tomorrow is the 16th anniversary of Wii Fit's release in Europe, which was the first time audiences outside of Japan could visit this little slice of paradise from the comfort of their own homes. so there has literally never been a better time to say "Woohoo!" on the english-speaking part of the internet.

Wuhu Wednesday conversation starters:
what is your favorite area of Wuhu Island?
what is your favorite memory on Wuhu Island?
which game has your favorite implementation of Wuhu Island?
will Nintendo ever create another game featuring Wuhu Island?
what ideas do you have for potential Wuhu Island explorations?

I don't have quite the relationship to it others do, I only really interacted with it in Wii Fit and Mario Kart 7, but I do REALLY like it. There's something un-liminal about it- and I mean that, it doesn't feel in between, or empty, it feels like a destination, it feels alive in a way.

I think my idea of a Wuhu Island game would be the next Tomodachi Life game, Wuhu Town getting renovations and new developments, sports and leisure activities for the Miis, and some reference heavy dialogue like "This used to be a 'Resort' town, but since [date game first opened], it's become a lot more lively. With a few more people maybe we could get [new facility]."

I know it might seem strange to blend the series together like that, but Nintendo's "gimmick led" games seem happy to present their own worlds with their own rules. I think it would be a nice way to bring back a fan-favourite location, and just think of all the minigames! A real celebration of the "Mii" era. Also dates in the volcano.

FUCK YES FUCK YES FUCK YES

no better way to spend my first Wuhu Wednesday than by enjoying footage of it in a larval state

The pesticides they used when remastering it for HD systems made Wuhu Island an uninhabitable wasteland which is why we haven’t seen it return.

Woohoo!

I’m going to borrow your conversation starters:

What is your favorite area of Wuhu Island?

Probably the sword fighting stadium. Super fun knocking people down into the water. There’s a lot to look at here from the inside and it looks quite cool from the outside in various angle.

What is your favorite memory on Wuhu Island?

Playing archery with friends for sure. Best game in Resort and a wonderful test of skill.

Which game has your favorite implementation of Wuhu Island?

Wii Sports Resort easily. You see it and play on it in so many fun contexts!

Will Nintendo ever create another game featuring Wuhu Island?

I want to believe it’ll happen.

What ideas do you have for potential Wuhu Island explorations?

I really want to see it in some kind of RPG or adventure context. Always felt it had a lot of potential. Could be a relatively short game and I’d still be happy.

So lame we never got a spiritual follow up to Sports resort/wuhu island. Nintendoland should have been an in game actual theme park, Wii sports on Wii U should have had an original never seen before forest retreat and Switch sports should have had the Huza Archipelago or something.

Wuhu Wednesday is great…but so is Spocco Sunday! (I just wish we could fully explore Spocco Square, ’cause it’d be a super cool place to chill!)

Bro I frickin love Wuhu Island. As @Concernt said, a Tomodachi game on Wuhu Island is almost too perfect. There’s obviously an association between the island and the Mii characters, so I think this would be a natural next step for the island’s next appearance.

Back
Top Bottom