• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Would you want the next Zelda game be more realistic, like twilight princess.

I wouldn't mind realistic Zelda but I think that now lots of people will associate Zelda to the BoTW/ToTK style, so Nintendo might continue on this way, and at the same time, Nintendo is never where we think they will be. But personally, I'd love this, an evolution of the ToTK artstyle with new gen technology. There's still work to get this render :

WiiU_Zelda_scrn03_E3.png

And 10 years later, I think they could achieve something even better, with colours as vibrant as in the 2014 reveal.

Last edited:
I still get so scared by the redead mob in WW

I think the N64 style is the best Zelda characters have ever looked. Link and Zelda have had better designs, but for enemies and NPCs it's perfect. But I prefer Wind Waker for the environments (its characters look much worse imo, not a fan of the bobble heads at all).

Like, this nails it I think:
OoT_Stalfos_Artwork.png
OoT_Poe_Artwork.png

That aesthetic would look amazing with a few tweaks for 3D...or if they ever did another sidescrolling Zelda/Zelda 2 remake

go even more painterly, maybe even try limited frame gameplay animation to break some people brains unable to recognize the difference between framerate issues and a stylistic choice (but mostly because I think it could look fantastic if done well).

In some ways the latest Puss n Boots movie would be a good reference point as far as the kind of texturing for the world/characters I'd want.

giphy.gif

screenshot-2023-01-23-183438230123064108.png

puss_in_boots-2-1280x600.jpg

Last edited:
I wouldn't mind realistic Zelda but I think that now lots of people will associate Zelda to BoTW/ToTK style, so Nintendo might continue on this way, and at the same time, Nintendo is never where we think they will be. But personally, I'd love this, an evolution of ToTK artstyle with new gen technology. There's still work to get this render :

WiiU_Zelda_scrn03_E3.png

And 10 years later, I think they could achieve something even better, with colours as vibrant as in the 2014 reveal.
Still so cool to me that this mossy Guardian specifically was added as a character in Age of Calamity.

Are you playing in handheld mode? Resolution is better on TV.

It looks blurry even on an OLED. I play on the TV and it looks great.
I play on the tv. It's not blurriness. I played a little bit of DQ XI in handheld mode and that was blurry. It just looks like there's a slight haze everywhere to me. Outside, in buildings, in towns, in caves, etc.

BotW and TotK definitely have a haze to them that somewhat mutes the colors a bit. Idk if it was done to help reduce pop in a little bit or just a stylistic choice.

Those games look the best (gorgeous, even) during in-game sunsets, as that’s where the colors of everything really pop out.

Also why I hate when a storm suddenly comes out of nowhere during sunset time lmao.

We haven't had a good horror dungeon since Wind Waker. Ancient Cistern is beautiful and a classic, but the hell portion was just populated by dumpy zombie Bokoblins. The loss of enemy variety after Twilight Princess is still one of the things that hits me hardest with newer entries. These open air kids with their tinkertoys don't know what it's like to be afraid to approach a ReDead!
Just realized the depths in Totk could've been much more terrifying just now

An actual realistic art style? No thanks.

Twilight Princess was still stylized, just with a darker/grittier aesthetic. I'm not sure I want to see an art style like it again, personally, so I'd prefer further refinement of BotW/TotK's art style. But if we're going for an edgier look, I'd rather go back to OoT/MM aesthetics.

Although, I won't lie, something like Katsuya Terada's art would look amazing. I don't expect it, but my fondness of 80's/90's fantasy art means I would eat it up.

No I prefer closer to botw or wind waker... I'd really like the return of toon link. But whatever they decide I'm ok, those are just my preferences of the existing styles

Back
Top Bottom