• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Would you rather get a Devil Fruit ability or a Stand ability?

Do I get to pick what the ability granted is by either or is it random?

63o92t.jpg

haha I knew what a Stand was but didn't know the other, I just thought it'd be funny

Stands are generally cooler and more creative, every other superpower kind of pales in comparison

I wouldn’t mind a Devil Fruit though since I already can’t swim either way

Devil Fruit powers are pretty much universally positive, with the downside being unable to go in seawater.

Stands are random as hell which means you could end up with a mostly useless or even actively detrimental power. Plus Stand users attract each other, so now you've got some dude constantly hassling you to play tic-tac-toe against him so that he can steal your memories when he wins when all you've got is a Stand that lets you skip stones across water two extra times but only on Thursdays.

I'd go with the Devil Fruit.

I will go with the random devil fruit power. Hopefully I get something cool like Luffy or Aokiji or even Robin's power.

Stand because I like swimming too much.

how the heck do you watch tokusatsu and not know the power system of the most popular manga of all time
manga/anime and toku are such wildly different things????????? Why should I be expected to know anything about anime or manga because I watch decided not animated tv lmao

Devil Fruit powers are pretty much universally positive, with the downside being unable to go in seawater.

Stands are random as hell which means you could end up with a mostly useless or even actively detrimental power. Plus Stand users attract each other, so now you've got some dude constantly hassling you to play tic-tac-toe against him so that he can steal your memories when he wins when all you've got is a Stand that lets you skip stones across water two extra times but only on Thursdays.

I'd go with the Devil Fruit.
There are devil fruits that have caused characters to have to be on a toilet for more than half the day every day because it literally causes their own body to need poison and others that are utterly useless like that one that turns a guy in to a jacket.

how the heck do you watch tokusatsu and not know the power system of the most popular manga of all time

This always strikes me as a bit of loaded position to take on English language websites, yeah, it's true on the basest level, but One Piece (relatively speaking for a big manga) always had the vast majority of that popularity concentrated in Japan. Compared to things like Dragon ball and Naruto, it never got as much a footing outside.

Obviously it's still goddamn massive, but it's hardly a surprise that things like Dragon ball, Naruto, Attack on titan, Demon slayer, etc. tend to be more recognizable, because for various reasons, they have a larger base outside Japan.

This always strikes me as a bit of loaded position to take on English language websites, yeah, it's true on the basest level, but One Piece (relatively speaking for a big manga) always had the vast majority of that popularity concentrated in Japan. Compared to things like Dragon ball and Naruto, it never got as much a footing outside.

Obviously it's still goddamn massive, but it's hardly a surprise that things like Dragon ball, Naruto, Attack on titan, Demon slayer, etc. tend to be more recognizable, because for various reasons, they have a larger base outside Japan.
Yeah I know, Derachi and I just like to have bants over tokusatsu ;)

Don't we @Derachi

Are there other Stand users? Do I pick from existing Stands in JJBA or do I get my own unique one? Do I even get to pick?

I’d like a non-automatic humanoid Stand with arms. Just the whole aspect of having what amounts to an intangible second body that can float some distance from me sound useful. I can pick stuff up without getting of my arse! Second pair of disembodied eyes to look around with.

Actual ability is almost irrelevant, but some could be useful in everyday life.

As long as I don’t end up with something that fucks me over or kills me like cheap trick or have to deal with other Stand Users this guy

I’m all in for a Stand

you're DRIVING me crazy
don't get too EXCITED, you might need some AID
Are there other Stand users? Do I pick from existing Stands in JJBA or do I get my own unique one? Do I even get to pick?

I’d like a non-automatic humanoid Stand with arms. Just the whole aspect of having what amounts to an intangible second body that can float some distance from me sound useful. I can pick stuff up without getting of my arse! Second pair of disembodied eyes to look around with.

Actual ability is almost irrelevant, but some could be useful in everyday life.

As long as I don’t end up with something that fucks me over or kills me like cheap trick or have to deal with other Stand Users this guy

I’m all in for a Stand

God this video kills me every time, it's SO good

To answer the question, I feel like aside from not being able to swim DFs at most have some inconvenient side effects whereas some stands are actually the fucking worst.

Having a Stand means that other Stand users are naturally drawn to you. That being said, non stand users can't see Stands, so you could easily use it to do stuff without drawing attention. However, some Stands are ridiculously specific, borderline useless outside of murdering people, or are actively harmful to the user.

Devil Fruits are more conspicuous and sacrifice your ability to swim, but they they have fewer drawbacks beyond that

If you're guaranteed to get a good Stand like Star Platinum or Crazy D and no other Stand users exist, hell yeah, gimme a Stand. If other Stand users exist and there's a chance that I could get like, Superfly or Notorious B.I.G, I'll take the Devil Fruit

You can live a quiet life away from everything with a devil fruit even if it has a minor side effect. If you’re a stand user trouble will always, always find you. So devil frut

You can live a quiet life away from everything with a devil fruit even if it has a minor side effect. If you’re a stand user trouble will always, always find you. So devil frut

They say this, but that's just a justification for the shonen series about having a bunch of fights to have a bunch of fights.

Part 4's guy with the cooking stand never seemed to have a problem with it and the serial killer from that same part had been literally murdering people and at the same time boasting about how he had a quiet life. If you don't do anything daft like going to join a massive criminal syndicate, you don't actually have to worry about that at all. Jotaro is also implied to not have been getting in stand fights between parts because his timestop decays massively from not being used.

With a Devil Fruit you'll most likely know what you are getting into by eating the fruit and there are very little side effects (if none at all) beside the obvious inconvenience of losing the ability to swim. But i also have to say Devil Fruit powers are generally very "shoneny" and i don't think most of them would be much useful in daily life. Like yeah, you can turn into sand or into a mammuth, who cares.

On the other hand a lot of Stands have really useful "real life" powers, as the series has shown multiple times, while also being discrete but the user has no say on what the power will be and there's a very real chance of getting an absolutely life wrecking Stand like Cheap Trick or Superfly.

I would still pick a Stand tbh.

They say this, but that's just a justification for the shonen series about having a bunch of fights to have a bunch of fights.

Part 4's guy with the cooking stand never seemed to have a problem with it and the serial killer from that same part had been literally murdering people and at the same time boasting about how he had a quiet life. If you don't do anything daft like going to join a massive criminal syndicate, you don't actually have to worry about that at all. Jotaro is also implied to not have been getting in stand fights between parts because his timestop decays massively from not being used.

Tell that to the poor beautician lady from part 4!

I hadn't considered the "Stand users attract other Stand users" complication for Stands. I think I would still go with a Stand, because I imagine it's more likely you get the friendly or innocuous Stand users of Morioh than the constant parade of mass murderers in Parts 3 and 5.

Probably the devil fruit since getting hit with the stand arrow has a good chance of resulting in death. Assuming though that surviving and gaining a stand is guaranteed, still seems like a risk given stands like Cheap Trick exist.

Gimme the Stand power. I'm not much of a One Piece fan, but from what I've seen Devil Fruit powers are very obvious and it's gonna be a hard time keeping a low profile if I'm stretching my body like Luffy or if I'm that clown that can separate his body into parts. I'd rather not be captured and locked into some government research facility the rest of my life.

Stands are discreet since non users can't see them. I'm not too worried about getting a bad one. Those are a tiny fraction of the total. If I could I'd like to have Crazy Diamond. Never having to worry about car maintenance ever again alone would be amazing on its own. I could make a career as the world's greatest physical therapist. I'd also be down for Heaven's Door. I could then be the world's greatest therapist. I e of my patients has depression and all of have to do is write "does not have depression" on one of their pages.

Back
Top Bottom