• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion Would you care if Metroids were absent from a Metroid game?

Title

• Yes, I would be very upset

Votes: 6 4.6%
  • I’d be slightly disappointed

Votes: 22 16.9%
  • I don’t care at all

Votes: 86 66.2%
  • I’d actually prefer if the series moved away from them

Votes: 16 12.3%

• Total voters
A point that occasionally comes up regarding the Metroid series is the fact that it is named after the Metroid creature, yet nearly all of them but one died in the second entry, and the last one died in the third.

Despite that, Metroids have still found their way into every single game past Super. In the Prime games by virtue of them being wisely set before Metroid II, and in the main series through conspiracies with cloning them.

So the question comes up - do they need to keep appearing by virtue of them being the titular character? Do you not necessarily like or care about them but believe the series’ title warrants an appearance in each game? Do you simply just love Metroids and want them in each game, title be damned?

Or are you okay with them taking a backseat for the sake of expanding lore/story possibilities, and the title isn’t important? Do you view certain story developments in Dread a clever way to continue justifying the title while being able to move past Metroids being involved in every game?

Let’s discuss!
Personally, I don't think Metroids need to literally appear in each game. For me it's enough if they get mentioned. They could even appear in a screenshot or flashback and that would be good enough for me.

Samus must have a biological kid who is part Metroid part human and this kid is the one who unites both species against a bigger threat. Then Samus goes to Pandora to unite her consciousness with a Metroid Avatar and everyone has a happy life, the boy's father is Adam Malkovich

I always assumed that they were just further ripping off Alien when they called the original game Metroid. Why else have a one word title that's the name of the face-sucking killer alien that isn't even the game's primary antagonist? Because of that, I can take or leave Metroids. It's Samus's series. We're all just living in it.

I always assumed that they were just further ripping off Alien when they called the original game Metroid. Why else have a one word title that's the name of the face-sucking killer alien that isn't even the game's primary antagonist? Because of that, I can take or leave Metroids. It's Samus's series. We're all just living in it.
It wasn't the name of the face-sucking alien, actually, it was the initial name for Samus. The game's map resembled the map for the metro rail system, and so they combined "metro" with "android" to get "Metroid," back in the early days when the player character was going to be an android. The thing about Samus being a human bounty hunter (and even being a woman) all came later, after the "Metroid" name had already been coined and decided as the title.

It wasn't the name of the face-sucking alien, actually, it was the initial name for Samus. The game's map resembled the map for the metro rail system, and so they combined "metro" with "android" to get "Metroid," back in the early days when the player character was going to be an android. The thing about Samus being a human bounty hunter (and even being a woman) all came later, after the "Metroid" name had already been coined and decided as the title.
Hmm. So at what point in development did the name get applied to the little meatball jello molds?

Doesn't matter to me at all.

I vaguely remember hearing this before, but I've never heard that it was going to be Samus's name specifically, just the name of the game. Was that mentioned somewhere as well?

Is there even a Metropolitan Android in the series

(He's actually a cyborg, but close enough)

This appears to be a cyborg a la General Grievous i.e. organic being embedded with cybernetic components, vs. an Android a la C3PO, a robot built to look human (yes you can call me out for being pedantic, that's what I'm here for 🙃)

There do appear to be a lot of robotic chozo statues. We can coin a new term - ornithandroids "bird man like" robots. 🦜

Ever since Fusion, I've figured there was a clear direction to solve this problem, one which also opens up further potential interesting story avenues.

Samus is the titular Metroid.

When one of these games again opens with
things are going down.
It would be an all-time call back and swerve if they opened a game/trailer with this and it's Samus.

I've played Dread several times already and not once did i thought 'where the Metroids at?'.

I'm not sure about a callback to "The last Metroid is in captivity. The galaxy is at peace." For those that watched Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul, I feel like it's quickly becoming the Metroid fandom's equivalent to "The final scene of Better Call Saul should be Walt walking into Saul's office!!!" Just very corny, lol.

They should call it Samus. Like how they called that one Zelda game on the CD-i "Link: The Faces of Evil".

So...there's this idea that's so stupid that I can't help but think it might become true in that:

Ok so the Metroid Suit has Queen Metroid elements. Given the franchise's seemingly last cutscenes throwing everything we thought we did about the X and the consistent themes that extermination is wrong (we don't kill all the Metroids in Metroid II for instance), what if Metroids come back...but on our side? Yeah it's dumb but it'd be interesting and a way to bring them back without making is retread everything.
I want a game where samus takes a metroid and raises it and it fights along side you and it's "upgrade" progression is the stages of metroid life

Not really, metroids are already absent in dread and with how little presence they have in prime 2 they may as well not even be there. Hunters also had no metroids for what it's worth (not counting the demo or quadroids). Still, I think the metroid design is iconic and they shouldn't be retired. It also doesn't help that, you know, the series is named after them.

Back
Top Bottom