• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion Would TotK's premise of building and solving puzzles countless ways been better suited for the next big 3d Mario game?

Should the next 3D Mario game steal the "build anything and go anywhere with it" idea that TotK used

• Yes

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • No

Votes: 53 98.1%

• Total voters

Scrawnton

T1D Gamer
Founder
I was just thinking about Tears of the Kingdom and how much of a shift in game design that crafting and designing you own... almost anything... was a foreign mechanic that really pushes and transformed what Zelda is as a franchise. Then I though that it seems like this was something that maybe Nintendo could have (or maybe should have) used as the focal gameplay mechanic for a new Mario 3d game. The reason I thought about this is that I had a dream over summer where I was playing Tears of the Kingdom but some of the sky islands were just straight up Super Mario levels and I thought about how amazing a 3d Mario game would be if it just straight up took the ultra hand and recall abilities and used it in it's game world.

What do you think, am I way too off base with this?

Tears of the Kingdom's systems are kind of intimidatingly complex for a broad group of players, and the Mario series is easy to grasp for most folks. Folks who don't touch games otherwise can make sense of the systems of a Mario game pretty intuitively, including kids. So I would lean towards no.

You never know though. It seems like Nintendo has a lot of cross-pollination. Kirby and the Forgotten Land shares a lot of DNA with Mario Odyssey, and some of Mario Wonder's new abilities and puzzle solving seem like they could be inspired by Kirby. And Tears of the Kingdom low-key had a Splatoon boss.

I don't really think so. Compared to Zelda, Mario isn't as puzzle-heavy and being able to build things, like you can in TotK, could drastically reduce the challenges associated with precision platforming. On the flipside, it would all depend on WHAT Mario could build in a new game and how well it could be implemented into a 3D platformer without ruining the key elements that make a 3D Mario great.

If a 3D Mario were to allow for player creativity to complete objectives, it would be more in line to be a wide range of mobility options to overcome obstacles in different ways. A focus on dynamic environmental systems and construction doesn't really fit the pacing of a Mario platformer.

Absolutely not and I say that as someone who loved it in TotK. I don’t want their two big series to borrow from each other to that extent and I value Mario in particular as a more "immediate" experience.

Last edited:
That sort of thing seems obnoxious for a series that in my head is supposed to be a pick up and play platformer.

Definitely not. Puzzles have been a Zelda staple for decades, while they’re an occasional oddity for Mario. Add in the complex physics of Breath of the Wild, and the core concepts of Tears of the Kingdom always made way more sense for Zelda than Mario.

office-space-no-man.gif

That's an unanimous poll if I ever saw one

Also no. Mario is the bing bing wahoo guy

I get your general premise, that the kind of mechanical inventiveness and interaction that TOTK allows for is something you expect from Mario usually, but nah, I think at least in its present form it would have greatly diluted Mario without having the chance to achieve the full extent of the insanity it was allowed to in TOTK.

It's a "no" for me but imo it wasn't a great fit for Zelda either. It felt they held it back to fit in a Zelda game.

Technically it's so impressive that could justify a game on it's own. And new franchises are always welcome.

If a 3D Mario were to allow for player creativity to complete objectives, it would be more in line to be a wide range of mobility options to overcome obstacles in different ways. A focus on dynamic environmental systems and construction doesn't really fit the pacing of a Mario platformer.
Exactly. Which in great part is what Mario 64 was about.

Zelda has always been about puzzles and tools in aid of problem solving, exploration, and combat.

In interviews regarding Super Mario Wonder, the devs mentioned they decided against letting Mario equip multiple badges because “Mario wasn’t Zelda”.

And I share that sentiment here. Mario isn’t Zelda. The crafting and building fits the Zelda ethos of adventuring and puzzle-solving. It doesn’t fit the Mario ethos of platforming.

If a Mario game requires you to stop in order to engage with complex mechanics then you're doing it wrong. The cap in Mario Odyssey was the most ingenious mechanic I'd seen in a long ass time, because it fed into everything a sandbox 3D Mario platformer should be and they used that thing to the max. It's fast, it's fluid, basically everything in the game world was made to be able to interact with it. It was simultaneously a way for newer players to save themselves when making platforming mistakes, and also a way for experienced players to do platforming with more advanced, freeform movement. They even tailored the personality and stories within the game world to tailor around caps/hats, that one game mechanic is Miyamoto design principles taken to absurd levels.

Mario should be about freedom of movement, which crafting and building can enable, but unlike the cap which was elegantly built to be simple and fast, the mechanics of TotK are too slow. Recall would perhaps work if implemented in a smart way, but the building mechanic feels like a lost cause. I'd argue it was too slow and tedious for Zelda, let alone anywhere close to being suitable for a Mario game.

When i was about to vote i thought its going to be even steven but it does nit surprise me everyone saying no.

Mario is Mario. lets keep it as that.

I didn't expect the poll to be such a slaughter, but yeah, I agree with everyone that TOTK's building mechanics would run counter to the simplicity of Super Mario. Any complexity in the Mario games should come from the freedom of being able to perform advanced movement techniques, not stopping for minutes at a time to build stuff.

I don't feel like mainline Mario platformers would gain anything at all by adding this level of slow-paced, methodical building (which I don't mean as an insult, it's great for something like Zelda).

Like, maybe it could work, but I like Mario being fast-paced and focused on fluid movement, and a lot of things Zelda has would be actively detrimental toward that for my preferences.

god i hope not. i despise the building mechanics in totk and i would despise them even harder in a mario game.

It's not what I would want from a Super Mario game to be honest. However, I would appreciate more puzzles in the games, ones that would fit in thematically and gameplay-wise.

Back
Top Bottom