• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

LTTP worm 🪱

(Late to the party)

Tangerine_Cookie

Time to mix drinks and #TrustTheProcess
Pronouns
She/Her

Fami, what's your take on the worms series?

I remember spending quite a bit of time with Worms Armageddon back in my teens, trying increasingly crazy turns of ninja roping while dropping bombs all over the place. And also some very fun hot seat multiplayer games with friends. Also, making maps, i think worms was the first time i actually looked into community made map tools and modding.

Also the worms are very cute, which is important.

Played Worms (I forget which one) a lot with my roommates back in my high school days. Perfectly lobbing a holy hand grenade always feels oh so good.

I loved Worms! The nuclear test and the concrete donkey were my favourites, but I was also a master of the ninja rope and the baseball bat

Yeah, Worms Armageddon was great! I had a similar experience, OP. I remember gravitating towards the ninja rope, grenades and the super... cow? I think? No, maybe it was an explosive sheep. You would activate its flight abilities and then navigate it through tight corners for a huge explosion.

It felt like a game that everyone loved but nobody talked about. It deserves recognition as a classic, for sure.

Are the newer games in the series any good?

Ah yes... Worms!

Loved Armageddon and actually the first 3D worms as well on Gamecube I believe, which wasn't really a successful game.

I discovered a glitch in Worms 3D which gave me infinite time for a turn and with that explored the levels to death because I was always looking for weird secrets in games.

Played a lot of 4-player on PS1. Good game.

Feel like it's connected to Lemmings somehow, which I'm surprised hasn't come back

Yeah, Worms Armageddon was great! I had a similar experience, OP. I remember gravitating towards the ninja rope, grenades and the super... cow? I think? No, maybe it was an explosive sheep. You would activate its flight abilities and then navigate it through tight corners for a huge explosion.

It felt like a game that everyone loved but nobody talked about. It deserves recognition as a classic, for sure.

Are the newer games in the series any good?

I've tried to keep up with the newer games, but apparently they just did a bunch of "wish you were playing Armageddon" tier releases, then actual remasters of Armageddon and World Party, then the weird live service real time 2D shooter which i actually tried and dropped by the second week.

I just wish they tried to do a new game but like, expanding on the greats, you know?

Also there's Hedgewars, which is an open source clone of Worms that feels like it keeps some of the original charm, but haven't played it in a while.

Loved it back in the day, Worms on Amiga was great, Worms 2 was revelatory, Armageddon and World Party were the peak. It all felt a bit downhill after that.

I was so into Worms at the time. My friends and I would come back from the pub and play it all the time. Can’t remember if we played Armageddon on N64 or PS though. Once the series moved to 3D I lost interest as it’s core appeal was being able to see what was going on, the simple arc geometry of the weapons etc, and I felt the 3D versions lost that.

Weirdly it’s a series that always slips my mind when I talk about what games I loved on N64- same as whatever the Gauntlet game was (legends?).

I dimly remember trying it again on DS when I saw a 2D game (open warfare 2 maybe?) but it wasn’t the same as when I was at college and playing with my mates, along with the fighting games of the time, Gauntlet, Mario Kart 64 etc.

Absolutely loved these games. Some of the best multiplayer experiences, imo.
Saw a NoClip video featuring WMD a few days ago and got the itch to dive right back into it

yeah, armagedon and world party where great.
i feel like the gameplay just does not work as well in 3d (to... janky? even more chaotic, so that strategy flies out the window? harder to grasp distances?)
i have to say, i never truly gave them the chance.
i see a chance for this series to make it big again, but not the way the releases did.
GAAS is one way...but semingly this did not work.
i also feel like people are less interested in that strategic chaos?
its either you need to get something (exp, loot), has to be fast paced or easy to grasp. But slow and chaotic is seemingly not in the interest of mass market gaming audience?

Oh, and an early "wtf" was first playing hogs of war and realizing ... thats just worms, but 3D.

Love these games. Still play WMD with my friends every couple of months and at times I swear the chaos can rival Mario Party with the right group.
to be honest, i got way more invested in chaotic worms matches then mario party, since with works, it always feeeels as if you are in controll till a cathastrophic chain reaction happens. with mario party, i just expect randomnes or to lose to the 2 guys that are just better at button mashing.

oh worm

never played the series but ive heard a lot about it. whats the best one to start with?

I haven't played it myself, but my partner, also a fellow worm appreciator, recomends WMD as a beginner friendly one.

If you want a more classic experience we both recommend Armageddon. Very solid.

And if you want to just try an spiritually similar game without investing money, Hedgewars is free.

to be honest, i got way more invested in chaotic worms matches then mario party, since with works, it always feeeels as if you are in controll till a cathastrophic chain reaction happens. with mario party, i just expect randomnes or to lose to the 2 guys that are just better at button mashing.
100% agree. While I love Mario Party, the controlled aspect of Worms makes the chaos more enjoyable

I played Worms 2 quite a bit when I was young, and I remember being quite excited for Worms 3D, but that one didn't do much for me.

Back
Top Bottom