• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Event (WINNER ANNOUNCED!) The Famiboards Game of the Year Celebration prelude: Most anticipated 2024 game

DECAPOLICE

it's incredibly exciting that Level-5 is back! Not only that but we are also getting a new IP from them in the form of this stylish detective RPG. Possibly my favorite announcement this year was the Direct that showcased Decapolice, the new Layton game, and Fantasy Life 2.

My overall vote would probably go to Another Code: Recollection which was already nominated.

I'm a little delayed with getting the ballot out. I apologize. It will probably be ready in ~8 hours. Last chance to get any 2024 nominations up for consideration!

Voting
Thank you for your patience. The ballot is live! You all have the next 4~5 days to fill it out. We will give out a 24 hour warning before closing the ballot. Thank you to everyone who took the time to nominate a game.

Vote accomplished! This is a great way to wrap up the year. I'm really looking forward to the individual awards and 'moments' next week, too.

Voted! Seems like I missed the mark on gushing about Yakuza, but boy I haven't been so excited for a game since Portal 2

Definitely looking forward to the soundtrack of this one, it's Keiichi Okabe's first gig outside of Nier. It's gonna slay.
The OST for Unicorn Overlord is being done by Basiscape like all of Vanillaware's other games.

The OST for Unicorn Overlord is being done by Basiscape like all of Vanillaware's other games.

Oh okay. I just sort of assumed it was Keiichi/Monaca because of how similar the announcement trailer music is to Analogous Memories.

Oh okay. I just sort of assumed it was Keiichi/Monaca because of how similar the announcement trailer music is to Analogous Memories.

Yeah it's not what people are used to hearing from Basiscape, but neither was 13 Sentinels.

I nominate Like a Dragon Infinite wealth

I love Kiryu and Ichiban. This looks like their biggest adventure yet.

I nominate Like a Dragon Gaiden: the man who erased his name.

It is the most fun game I have played this year, with a cool and silly story to go with it. And did you know Sega added Daytona USA 2 to the arcades in the game?

Oh, this is a different event than our actual Game of the year event - it’s a prelude event about the most anticipated 2024 game. (Apologies is the phrasing of the thread title felt confusing)

The real event kicks off January 1st, and will contain a number of categories to vote in, ending with voting for game of the year at the end of the month.

You’re free to nominate Like a
Dragon for game of the year then!

Oh, this is a different event than our actual Game of the year event - it’s a prelude event about the most anticipated 2024 game. (Apologies is the phrasing of the thread title felt confusing)

The real event kicks off January 1st, and will contain a number of categories to vote in, ending with voting for game of the year at the end of the month.

You’re free to nominate Like a
Dragon for game of the year then!
Thank you, I was looking for the goty thread, and somehow read the title totally wrong 😅

WINNER!
And the winner is...

FOeee2.png

Famiboard's most anticipated 2024 game is none other than Final Fantasy VII: Rebirth, the sprawling and ambitious follow-up to 2020's first installment in this gigantic remake project. Outside the walls of Midgar awaits a vast and alluring world, where the player assumes the role of Cloud and his ragtag band of friends and can explore the world to their heart's content, all while taking part in a gripping story about life, death and identity.

Coming up right behind are Mario's escapades as a paper-thin adventurer, also a remake project, coincidentally. An following in on third place is Princess Peach's grand solo Switch debut, featuring kung-fu and baking. At the fourth spot, we see Vanillaware's epic-looking Unicorn Overlord, and the at this point almost mythical Hollow Knight: Silksong takes spot number 5.

Stay tuned for the full list of winners, and keep an eye out for the real Game of the Year event, which will kick off tomorrow.

As usual, me and @Josh5890 as well as the staff members who came with valuable input want to offer a sincere thank you to everyone for participating, whether you voted, nominated or just stopped by for a chat. These events are always a ton of fun to put together, and it's always awesome to see such good response.

Unicorn Overlord making the top 5 makes me happy. SRPG fans unite!

That is a very solid top 5! I think Silksong would be higher if we actually had a date or firm idea it was coming out for sure in 2024. I'm looking forward to all of these at least to some degree.

It’s almost as though this forum is dominated by people who’s formative gaming generations were the PS1/N64/PS2/GCN eras and have a thing for RPGs 😂

Good result!

It’s almost as though this forum is dominated by people who’s formative gaming generations were the PS1/N64/PS2/GCN eras and have a thing for RPGs 😂

Good result!
Even so, the fact that a Nintendo game didn’t win #1 really indicates how thin their current slate is. A real calm before the storm moment before the new console is announced.

Full list of winners
Final Results (First Place votes in parenthesis)

Final Fantasy VII: Rebirth (9)- 215
Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door (4)- 203
Princess Peach: Showtime! (3)- 151
Unicorn Overlord (5)- 150
Hollow Knight: Silksong (7)- 145
Hades 2 (4)- 139
Another Code: Recollection (1)- 129
Dragon's Dogma 2 (1)- 115
The Plucky Squire- 115
Ace Attorney: Apollo Justice Trilogy- 108
Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth (5)- 108
Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown (1)- 97
Splatoon 3: Side Order (3)- 98
Penny's Big Breakaway (2)- 94
Visions of Mana- 92
DECAPOLICE- 77
World of Goo 2- 57
SaGa: Emerald Beyond (1)- 49
Trails Through Daybreak (2)- 44
Rise of the Ronin- 36
Shantae Advance: Risky Revolution (1)- 32
Tekken 8 (1)- 29
Star Wars: Outlaws (1)- 27
Little Nightmares 3- 20
Helldivers 2- 12
Afterlove EP- 11
Angeline Era- 9

Every game received at least two votes!

Even so, the fact that a Nintendo game didn’t win #1 really indicates how thin their current slate is. A real calm before the storm moment before the new console is announced.
Final Fantasy 7 remake series is pretty big though, and paper Mario was only 12 votes behind it as far as remakes of longrunning series go.

Still, sure, there’s no real ‘first party tentpole’ title announced outside of that, agree with you there. There’s still shedloads of smaller titles coming to Switch though. Personally, it’s not the big first party titles that really attract me to Switch as a platform.

Since Hades 2 is going to be Early Access, it looks like my wallet is saved this year- I don’t see a single title I’m interested in otherwise.

Time to catch up on previous years’ bounty!

Been busy so didn’t vote but I stand with people who chose Emerald Beyond. Lots to look forward to!

Time to catch up on previous years’ bounty!

The list of stuff I still want from years past never gets any shorter, yeah. Good position to be in, I guess, but it does mean I can never be free from Video Game.

Back
Top Bottom