• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Rumour [Windows Central] Xbox's multiplatform initiative has been codenamed "Latitude", "no red lines" on ports

Pretty wild to see the fall of Xbox since the 360 days. Xbox Series will move less than 40 million units at the rate they’re going

Forum gamers are extremely short-sighted. I remember the doom and gloom around the WiiU era, and speculation that Nintendo would go third party, knowing full well that they would be the last ones to do it.
Don’t agree with this.
Anyone who knows Nintendo’s history with video games knew during the rough times of the WiiU that Nintendo had no intention of leaving the industry. What would they do if they left? Video games is Nintendo’s DNA.
On the other hand, Microsoft not only entered the gaming space with ulterior motives but also they can fall back on whatever else Microsoft does out of the gaming space.
Microsoft doesn’t need video games to survive as a company. Nintendo does.

Don’t agree with this.
Anyone who knows Nintendo’s history with video games knew during the rough times of the WiiU that Nintendo had no intention of leaving the industry. What would they do if they left? Video games is Nintendo’s DNA.
On the other hand, Microsoft not only entered the gaming space with ulterior motives but also they can fall back on whatever else Microsoft does out of the gaming space.
Don't understand your post, and how it is in disagreement with mine.

Forum gamers are extremely short-sighted. I remember the doom and gloom around the WiiU era, and speculation that Nintendo would go third party, knowing full well that they would be the last ones to do it.

A small minority wanted them to go third party.

Everyone else knew they'd be fine.

Shame, feels like Nadella really doesn't get the industry. I loved GamePass and hoped it could continue, but it's not looking good like this, unless MS can somehow force Sony and Nintendo to have it on their system.

The thing is that Nadella gave Phil the opportunity to do those major moves and he has nothing to show for it.
Nadella was considering closing shop in 2017 but Phil Spencer sold him a dream and none of the bets that saved Xbox paid off and now it's too large of a portion of Microsoft to just be left to just do "okay".

Let's look at the last few years of Xbox:

-Xbox Series sales are trending to sell much worse than even the Xbox One.
-Gamepass is stagnating and there's even potential regression(the newest numbers we've got was with the old Games for Gold merging into a new tier "Gamepass Core")
-Xcloud/Streaming really isn't doing anything
-Microsoft Store is still as ass as it always has been, kneecapping PC/Gamepass sales outside of Steam on the PC platform.

They now own ATVI and Bethesda, both fairly large 3rd party publishers pre-acquisition, which are now looking at severe decrease in sales that cannot be overcome by a the revenue offset generated by 33-34M~ Gamepass subscription.

The numbers don't make sense.

Don’t agree with this.
I think you misunderstood him, because your post agrees with his point.

The thing is that Nadella gave Phil the opportunity to do those major moves and he has nothing to show for it.
Nadella was considering closing shop in 2017 but Phil Spencer sold him a dream and none of the bets that saved Xbox paid off and now it's too large of a portion of Microsoft to just be left to just do "okay".

Let's look at the last few years of Xbox:

-Xbox Series sales are trending to sell much worse than even the Xbox One.
-Gamepass is stagnating and there's even potential regression(the newest numbers we've got was with the old Games for Gold merging into a new tier "Gamepass Core")
-Xcloud/Streaming really isn't doing anything
-Microsoft Store is still as ass as it always has been, kneecapping PC/Gamepass sales outside of Steam on the PC platform.

They now own ATVI and Bethesda, both fairly large 3rd party publishers pre-acquisition, which are now looking at severe decrease in sales that cannot be overcome by a the revenue offset generated by 33-34M~ Gamepass subscription.

The numbers don't make sense.
It's like Xbox kept acting on ideas that are good in a vacuum but are total nonsense in the context of all of the other ideas they've acted on. Phil jumped to plans B, C, and D without regard for Plan A.

It's like Xbox kept acting on ideas that are good in a vacuum but are total nonsense in the context of all of the other ideas they've acted on. Phil jumped to plans B, C, and D without regard for Plan A.

Shame, because most people who know popculture know that there's only two possible Plan B's.

The Ghostbusters one: Run away.
The A-Team one: There is no Plan B.

Don’t agree with this.
Oops I meant totally agree😅
Should’ve proof read my post before hitting the reply button.

XBOX has no choice but to publish their games on more platforms. There aren’t enough XBOX owners and PC owners who play Microsoft Games / Game Pass subscribers to justify their massive purchase of ABK recently. Moving games onto PlayStation and Nintendo is the only way to recoup their massive 70 billion dollar investment over a period of time.

Thinking that Microsoft of all companies would be socially responsible? Who in their right mind would think...

Oh....

yet another insightful jez moment
Pretty infuriating that the article makes no mention of Nintendo, despite the chances of Nintendo getting more MS stuff than Playstation (thanks to NSO). I'm still amazed how easy to ignore Nintendo by the press after all these years.
because NSO stuff isn't anywhere near as interesting as Halo or Forza on PS
Xbox famously passed on Grand Theft Auto 3 back in the day, they've never had any idea what they're doing. Anything they've done right was probably by accident.
Also fumbled Spider-Man 2018, Genshin, RE4, Baldur's Gate 3, Alan Wake 2, the Wii's motion controls, Yakuza, Guitar Hero, and probably lots more!

World class fumblers, really impressive tbh!

Those big acquisitions were just incredibly incongruous with the Gamepass plan IMO.

Phil and Xbox fell into the streaming trap.
Spending an obscene amount of money until they're sure they're able to get the subscription base high enough to support the cost of reducing boxed sales. If only there were other examples in the Music/TV business that would've given them pause.
Having to balance the cost of producing expensive products to then give them for just a subscription is a really delicate balance, especially if you're starting out at the bottom. The onboarding cost is even bigger because you need to have the devices to run these games.

The fallout of this is what happens when you take HUUUGE bets and they don't pay off.

Those big acquisitions were just incredibly incongruous with the Gamepass plan IMO.

Phil and Xbox fell into the streaming trap.
Spending an obscene amount of money until they're sure they're able to get the subscription base high enough to support the cost of reducing boxed sales. If only there were other examples in the Music/TV business that would've given them pause.
Having to balance the cost of producing expensive products to then give them for just a subscription is a really delicate balance, especially if you're starting out at the bottom. The onboarding cost is even bigger because you need to have the devices to run these games.

The fallout of this is what happens when you take HUUUGE bets and they don't pay off.
Yeah, streaming is a hard business. Even when it comes to movie/series streaming services only Netflix is profitable after all these years. Disney + is still working to achieve profitability, despite a huge user base. So streaming is a business where you have to try for many years to have your first profitable year as a streaming service.

To at-most casual Xbox buyers like me, Game Pass just wasn't enticing enough of an offer. What Xbox would've needed to do was to knuckle down and focus on making games that would garner at least some interest from people outside of their core fanbase from an early stage. And now that that has happened - Pentiment, Hi-Fi Rush and to a lesser extent Ghostwire Tokyo would, in theory, be the kinds of games I'd almost consider buying an Xbox for - they're immediately shuttering the studios that made them because the "rebirth" of Xbox hasn't happened fast enough.

And the issue isn't just that it hasn't happened early enough - Microsoft has involuntarily created its own biggest rival by making the PC viable as a platform again, not through the games on the system, but through XInput. Oh what's that - a controller I can just plug into my PC and get a console-style feeling on it without the finnicky process of installing a gameport-based gamepad? Why thank you Microsoft! Parts of it are kinda bad but I'm sure someone is going to make a better version of it! Why bother with Xbox anymore when a solid chunk of the games are on PC now AND I can get some more games that aren't on Xbox (and occasionally also PlayStation)? I wouldn't anymore and in the end I didn't.

Microsoft, all things considered, probably didn't ever treat gaming as that important, maybe as an extension of the company's core business because the PC emerged as the main gaming platform from the myriads of home computers that fought for dominance during the 80s and in the late 90s/early 2000s when PC gaming was said to be on its way out pivoted to consoles because that was the way to go. Not that that was BAD - it was arguably the era when Xbox was at its peak but it was also before Sony pivoted to fully play to Western hardcore gamers and thus ate Xbox's lunch money.

In the end, I just can't muster the energy to care anymore. The last time Xbox mattered to me was close to two decades ago. Microsoft bought companies who, for the most part, make games that speak to me once in a blue moon. If that.

XBOX has no choice but to publish their games on more platforms. There aren’t enough XBOX owners and PC owners who play Microsoft Games / Game Pass subscribers to justify their massive purchase of ABK recently. Moving games onto PlayStation and Nintendo is the only way to recoup their massive 70 billion dollar investment over a period of time.

70 billion dollars in Activision is such an incredibly stupid purchase that basically will never turn in to profit for MS, given the revenue of Activision is only 8billion or so on a good year; it's honestly no wonder in the wake of that purchase that the entire gaming division is having to undergo a complete change in direction.

you can blame Nadella all you want but 70 billion is being spent, of course the higher ups are going to start taking a closer look at things

It is sad to effectively lose another player in the console market. Xbox 360 was my most played non-Nintendo platform and I am quite fond of it. Interested to see if this push also affects Switch 2 and if it applies to the backlog as well.

Microsoft has good studios under their belt. Good games should be available everywhere. The consoles don’t seem to be garnering much interest, so why not meet players where they are? Hopefully this gives their gaming division a boost

Would absolutely LOVE Rare Replay with the old Nintendo IP attached for release on Switch 2. It will never happen but hey let a man dream lol.

Rare Replay would be nice, but I kinda hope that if licenses aren't a hurdle it might mean a revival of Starfox Adventures on Switch (2), whether in the form of a remake or a Gamecube HAGI port with widescreen. It was my first Zelda game with voice acting and has dinosaurs, I mean what's not to love?

I'm a bit embarrassed reading this, feels like something that should be in a diary, not shared publicly.

Dear Phil, I wrote you but you still ain't calling
I left my email, my twitter, and my phone at the bottom
I sent two DMs back in autumn, you must not've got 'em
There probably was a problem at the X HQ or something

just give us rare replay lol. Or at least put the rest of the games on NSO if emulation that way is too hard
They will one wave at a time. There are only few remain from the Rare Replay collection and we're getting games that are not in there.

The real problem with the Rare Replay is Xbox and Xbox 360 games. They are not native games on Xbox and need to be ported separately to Switch. Maybe not as a part of a bigger collection but I think we might get a Viva Piñata or Perfect Dark collections. Remastered.

Eurogamer understands numerous other games are under consideration, including titles in the company's largest franchises.

piho1qcn3yu01.png

Pretty infuriating that the article makes no mention of Nintendo, despite the chances of Nintendo getting more MS stuff than Playstation (thanks to NSO). I'm still amazed how easy to ignore Nintendo by the press after all these years.
For Nintendo, that’s actually good.

PC and Steam Deck are wicked competitors to Playstation
Steam Deck is a PC and if you want to look at it as its own thing, it can't even reach a sizeable fraction of the Wii U sales. Sure PlayStation still has to compete with PC and Nintendo, but I don't think the situation is quite as rosy as you say.

Nintendo does their own thing, honestly they barely compete with anyone. And PC has its own set of issues, from barrier to entry to Valves monopoly on the platform. But at least it's an open platform.

Its like he was trying to win a console war on future generation terms

Like dude yeah maybe in 2055 peoples main form of playing games will be paying for a monthly service streaming them to their phone, but literally no one is doing that right now.

The galaxy brain strategy didn't pay out, if anything was going to work they needed to sell them an Xbox first. This is capitalism here Phil.. he seemed to love that aspect of buying up the competition but when it comes to you know.. the marketing and sales part of it.. you need to tell people and their children they are losers and chumps if they don't buy your magic game box. All the lets play together talk sounds fine but you have to sell consoles if you want to sell games and continue to stay in business. You told people they didn't even need an Xbox... so they didn't buy one and now here we are.

the plan to move Xbox games to other platforms is codenamed "Latitude" internally, and I know there's debate and unease at Microsoft about whether or not this is a good idea.

Like how is this much of a debate.

If you actually continue to attempt to develop and sell Xbox systems.. Then its a fucking horrible idea! How does that pitch even work??? If people buy a ps5 then they get all of Sonys games and console exclusives plus all of your games.. but if they buy an Xbox then they just get.. the games they could also have gotten had they just bought a ps5.

If they decide to put all their games on their competitors platforms it is straight up a waste of money to spend a single dollar developing any more consoles. Some people may still want one I guess, but not even close to being enough to worth bothering going through with it the insane task developing a console is.

I think maybe the only possible alternative is to then just, give up on Xbox and make a Windows console? But then again what's the point because you are essentially just going through the trouble of making a Steam Deck on Valve's behalf.

At this point, stick a fork in it, it’s done.

I mean as Nintendo enthousiasts we should know better with all the “Nintendo should go third party” talk in the past twenty years or so, but in this particular case, it’s not smoke anymore. Its a fullblown fire waiting to ensnare everything.

There's some console war tribalism in certain corners, but there are plenty of legitimate reasons to be concerned about this if you're a current Xbox customer. It stands to reason that moving your exclusive games like Halo, Gears, or Forza to PlayStation eliminates a reason to buy an Xbox console. If you eliminate reasons to buy an Xbox console, you're once again handing the keys to your future to other platforms, a problem Microsoft has right now with Google and Apple. Furthermore, you're removing an endpoint to acquire users via Xbox Game Pass. Cloud is prohibitively expensive right now and is gatekept by Apple and Google, once again blocking in-app purchases or, in some cases, blocking it entirely. You're also decreasing your footprint for game developers, who will increasingly see Xbox versions as wasting time. You set yourself up for a tailspin nosedive of exclusion, to the point where Xbox becomes another game publisher without a say in the overall direction of the industry — but maybe that's the idea.
Obviously, putting Halo Infinite on PlayStation will increase profit margins. Sea of Thieves enjoyed the top spot on the PlayStation Store this past week. And in a perfect world, it's great that more people get to play these games. But we don't live in a perfect world where platform holders willingly collaborate for customers' betterment while competing on pure value. Like many of Microsoft's other recent strategies, pursuing this strategy is a short-term margin booster with long-term consequences. Yes, the industry is struggling, and Microsoft isn't the only hardware manufacturer that has seen declines. But destroying the foundational reason to buy an Xbox isn't the answer you give if you do care about the long-term.
Nail, meet head.

Why would I ever buy an Xbox console if they're porting their exclusives to other platforms?

It is why I haven't bought one since they started porting to PC/Steam in 2017. I have a gaming PC, I have no need for an Xbox when they port everything to PC. PlayStation owners now have zero reason to buy your hardware too.

I think PlayStation porting their games to PC is the same error; short-term gains for long-term loss. I have zero reason to buy a PS5 since they're porting everything to PC.

I'd just like the Banjo-Kazooie/Tooie HD remasters on Switch but we're probably stuck with only getting the NSO versions.

I think they'll still make a console next gen, but I can't imagine they'll end up manufacturing much as it'll just be an option for people who don't want a PS/Nintendo/PC for whatever reason. And that's not going to cause some sort of monopoly, either. Those latter 3 are competitors with each other to one degree or another despite it not seeming that way at times, and they all have found their ways of thriving in this industry unlike Microsoft for the past decade.

I think they'll still make a console next gen, but I can't imagine they'll end up manufacturing much as it'll just be an option for people who don't want a PS/Nintendo/PC for whatever reason. And that's not going to cause some sort of monopoly, either. Those latter 3 are competitors with each other to one degree or another despite it not seeming that way at times, and they all have found their ways of thriving in this industry unlike Microsoft for the past decade.
Next gen Xbox hardware will happen, we know that from the FTC leaks. I doubt the hardware line continues past that. If it does, it will be in the form of Steam OS-type devices which sell 10-20m at best. Watered down Gaming PCs.

Xbox hardware is dead. They're becoming a 3rd Party publisher.

Next gen Xbox hardware will happen, we know that from the FTC leaks. I doubt the hardware line continues past that. If it does, it will be in the form of Steam OS-type devices which sell 10-20m at best. Watered down Gaming PCs.

Xbox hardware is dead. They're becoming a 3rd Party publisher.
I mean things change, they could always cancel it. Nothing is 100% at this point.

I wouldn't be shocked if Forza Horizon 5 and Halo Infinite multiplayer are next and out by the end of the year. They're both live service money machines with good reception.

Back
Top Bottom