• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion Will Zelda get more spin-offs now the series has exploded in popularity?

Lets get a new 2d game before we start thinking about spinoffs.

A new 2D Zelda is a must, absolutely. One thought I've had on the matter combines some particular Switch functionality with Aonuma's stated desire to rethink single-vs-multiplayer as a series convention, all while answering some certain fan requests.

In this concept, the player controls both Link and Zelda simultaneously, each character mapped to their own Joy-Con™, requiring the use of both to properly solve puzzles, traverse the world, navigate social encounters, and engage in combat -- all while allowing for instant single-to-multiplayer action.

In any case, this feels exactly like something (Switch-era, in particular) Nintendo would invest in.

[...]

Hold onto one Joy-Con™ and hand the other off to a friend, relative, significant other, or random stranger you just met on a plane or at a rooftop party. Share the Joy™.

This would, of course, be treated as a full-on mainline 2D title and thus doesn't quite fit into the topic of spinoffs.

One idea that does fit into that category, however, follows from the Cadence of Hyrule school of thought, where an indie title was allowed to translate its concept into a The Legend of Zelda setting.

The title under consideration here is former Apple Arcade exclusive Bleak Sword.

For spinoff purposes, it would likely take its high-octane retro-inspired diorama scene concept and structure it more akin to a Zelda title. Now there are scenes that are focused on combat and scenes that are focused more on puzzle-solving (puzzle dioramas similar to the earlier Zelda-based Captain Toad), put together in a manner that vaguely emulates classic Zelda structure, each diorama scene analogous to the individual rooms of old Zelda games.

Something like this would likely retain much of Zelda's prestige aura, a more indie art house take, if you will.

As I said in another thread, Nintendo like to release one Zelda themed game a year if they can, so they'll have something up their sleeves I'm sure. Question will be what happens when they run out of 3D games to remaster.

Also, mildy surprised we haven't seen a Zelda smartphone game of some kind yet...

More of this, please.
my-nintendo-picross-the-legend-of-zelda-twilight-princess-cover.cover_large.jpg

I don’t think so. Maybe we will get some different spin-offs, but not necessarily more, if that makes sense.

Zelda has been an almost annual release already, and I think that part of its success is that it’s viewed as a sort of prestige series. Mainline games are treated as a huge event.

Mario's done it. Pokémon's done it. Metroid's done it. The Legend of Zelda Pinball when? We sure have the precedent of a bunch of shrine puzzles dealing with metal balls.

Gonna keep beating the “RPG or MMO make your own character” drum, maybe with different stories depending on what race you choose. The farming idea is also fun.

An SRPG would be cool, and that hypothetical Sheik game.

Maybe there's a chance for EPD to revisit the apparent multiplayer ideas BotW was planned to have with another project.

zeldaujozj-624x255.jpg

Perhaps it was just as simple as a more robust Game Pad message system like Wind Waker HD, but I feel like they wouldn't have highlighted this aspect if it wasn't more significant. It could be a good stopgap if 2D Zelda isn't happening for the time being.

"I want another 2D Zelda game or two"

monkeys-paw-paw.gif

C8WGzRTU0AAxKOj.jpg

"What about a game where you play as Zelda?"

zeldawandofg-1669240074874.jpg

Enough! My ship sails in the morning, I wonder what's for dinner?
No, I mean, can we get a top down Zelda game instead?

Zeldasadventure_packaging.jpg
(This is definitely the worst game of the 3 for me lol)

Maybe there's a chance for EPD to revisit the apparent multiplayer ideas BotW was planned to have with another project.

zeldaujozj-624x255.jpg

Perhaps it was just as simple as a more robust Game Pad message system like Wind Waker HD, but I feel like they wouldn't have highlighted this aspect if it wasn't more significant. It could be a good stopgap if 2D Zelda isn't happening for the time being.
wasn't that for Tri-Force Heroes?

Quoted by: N75
wasn't that for Tri-Force Heroes?
This was shown at the January 2013 Wii U Direct and Aonuma was specifically talking about the game that would become BotW. Tri Force Heroes likely hadn't even started development yet since the leads were still working on A Link Between Worlds.

I wonder how the more "rhythm heaven" looking crypt of the necro dancer game would convert to a nintendo property?

Just want a Zelda Maker to make 2D Zelda adventures. The ability to write your own dialogue/lore too.

Surely Zelda will be playable in one of them!

I still think a Hyrule MMO for Switch, Drake, and mobile could do well
Yeah even a pseudo MMO with persistent lobbies, but instanced areas for adventure solo and a tema of up to 4 people would fit the Switch design philosophy perfectly. So there may be some ability to play offline when you're not online.

Honestly I'd totally be up with a Hyrule Dream House game using the mechanics introduced in TOTK. Whole game is just designing a home in beautiful locations of Hyrule for yourself or residents to enjoy. But instead of Animal Crossing its more like The Sims, where you can make friends, invite other players over for a social aspect and collect resources together in Hyrule to get more cool home stuff. Everything is chill and lofi with the music. Maybe give people the ability to make characters of the race of their choosing and being able to have kids, raising a family in the land of Hyrule.

Or something more combat/puzzle solving oriented like Portal 2 where you have to solve dungeon puzzles by working together and take down dungeon bosses. But with a 3D OOT/MM/WW/TP design philosophy with these grand themed temples. I know we had tri-force heroes, but that's exactly the opposite route I want to see for a multiplayer Zelda game. I want to do huge grand dungeons together with friends, maybe give it a Monster Hunter aspect that farming dungeons for resources to help create better gear to help in later dungeons.

As for top down Zelda I really just want a dungeon builder like Mario Maker. With all the items and mechanics introduced in every single top down Zelda game to play around with. Maybe a handful of 3D Zelda stuff making in as well. Would really be cool if they give it a dungeon boss motif where you are one of Ganon's minions task to setting up these dungeons and you can play as Link or the Boss itself, with some multiplayer aspect where one person can be the dungeon designer/boss and the other person can be the player. The boss can play with the mechanics in the dungeon to try and off Link before reaching them and if Link reaches them they have to duke it out in a boss battle where the player can fight as the boss against their friend who plays Link.

Back
Top Bottom