• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Fun Club Will we ever see a video game as an NFT?

Scrawnton

T1D Gamer
Founder
I am going to preface this thread by stating I know next to nothing about NFTs.

Is it possible for a company or developer (let's say Hideo Kojima because for some reason this seems like something he would do) could make a digital only game that is an NFT where they only "release" 10,000 copies of it and players (buyers) have the ability to sell it to each other for whatever price they want and the dev takes a 30% cut of every transaction?

I was contemplating our digital dystopian future and I felt that it is just a matter of time until some studio releases a massive cult game follow up (like maybe the next undertale / deltarune) as an NFT and let people lose their minds at obtaining it.

Is this an idea that would NEVER work because of piracy? Am I an idiot?

NFT games are possible, yes. When it comes to the issue of piracy of said NFTs though I don't know enough myself about it all to give a definitive answer on that.

There is another use case for NFT games though. I know you said you know next to nothing about NFTs, and I assume Cryptocurrency also, but GameStop is building an NFT marketplace at the moment and one of the rumours/theories is that they may be able to create a marketplace where people can buy and sell NFT versions of digital games. As a very rough example of how this might work (with all the numbers made up) you could theoretically buy a digital game from this NFT marketplace for $60. If the developers get 30% of that sale price then that's $18 for them. Six months from now you're done with the game and want to resell it, so you sell it back to GameStop who give you $25 for it. GameStop then relists your "used" copy of the digital game for $45. If the developers are still getting the same 30% cut then that means they will 30% of the $20 profit GameStop made from selling your used game, which would be $6. It is seemingly a win-win-win as you win by getting back some of the money you originally paid for the game, GameStop wins by making profit off the same game for a second time and the developers win because they also get a portion of the profits of the sale of a used game.

Edit: If anyone with more knowledge about NFTs notices that anything I have said here is incorrect please do correct me. While I know a bit about Crypto, NFTs are still largely an unknown to me.

Second Edit: Thanks Raccoon, I wasn't aware of limitations on stuff being stored on blockchain tech.

Last edited:
a blockchain currently can't even store a jpg, let alone a whole game

now, NFT-powered DRM for a game? totally possible and likely within two years of happening if the bubble doesn't pop

This is really dumb, and if the NFT bubble pops, then game devs will lose a lot of money. I think people just buy NFT's for memes, and they are literally a scam.

You can't buy a video game as an NFT, but you can buy a link to a video game as an NFT! For only $300 000, you can purchase the opportunity to have your name imprinted on a ledger by burning down part of the rainforest, while I right click and enjoy using your in game account for free

NFTs don't even actually contain the image that they're supposed to confer "ownership" of. It's just a link.

Also, the entire thing is basically a scam. NFTs are exactly as meaningful as one of those certificates that says you own a star.

It'll happen just so some publisher can claim to be the first to do it.

It won't end well.

Publishers letting you actually own a copy of a digital game as your own?

Over their dead bodies, if they have any say in it.

What's a NFT?
A certificate of ownership that doesn't actually establish any sort of meaningful ownership and that lives on a blockchain, so not only is it useless, but its also environmentally destructive.
More specifically, NFT refers to the technology known as Non-Fungible Tokens. Fungible means something is interchangeable, able to be swapped out for the exact same thing, so if something is non-fungible, it means you can't replace it with something equivalent. As for the token element, it's essentially a code.

Owning the NFT to something doesn't mean you actually own that thing, per se. For a piece of art, the artist could still own copyright and reproduction rights -- like if you purchase a painting from someone, giving you that physical painting but leaving them with the ability to make more of that same painting, copies or reproductions, and sell them -- so you can think of it in similar terms. Without an actual physical asset, what you have is a token saying you own a particular copy of something (and, with the internet, copies are roughly less than a penny a dozen). This does mean you can claim that any internet copy of an asset is illegitimate without an associated NFT, but that will only go so far as the internet at large cares.

Think of it like collectible numbered cards or art prints, where literally the only thing separating your purchase from any other is just a ###/100 printing somewhere on the item itself. There are other copies of the exact same thing, but this number printed on it is your token, demonstrating the authenticity and value of your particular item. For anyone who doesn't care about that number or signature or what have you, it doesn't make a difference.

There's nothing stopping anybody from making their own copies of many assets carrying an NFT. They just don't get that associated token.

And there has definitely been drama from people who don't recognize this, that all they necessarily actually own is a particular code, as others right-click-swipe "their property" for their own use or amusement.

But, yeah, Pokemaniac probably has you pretty well covered with their description.

A certificate of ownership that doesn't actually establish any sort of meaningful ownership and that lives on a blockchain, so not only is it useless, but its also environmentally destructive.
This is legitimately the best definition of NFT I've ever seen, lol

More specifically, NFT refers to the technology known as Non-Fungible Tokens. Fungible means something is interchangeable, able to be swapped out for the exact same thing, so if something is non-fungible, it means you can't replace it with something equivalent. As for the token element, it's essentially a code.

Owning the NFT to something doesn't mean you actually own that thing, per se. For a piece of art, the artist could still own copyright and reproduction rights -- like if you purchase a painting from someone, giving you that physical painting but leaving them with the ability to make more of that same painting, copies or reproductions, and sell them -- so you can think of it in similar terms. Without an actual physical asset, what you have is a token saying you own a particular copy of something (and, with the internet, copies are roughly less than a penny a dozen). This does mean you can claim that any internet copy of an asset is illegitimate without an associated NFT, but that will only go so far as the internet at large cares.

Think of it like collectible numbered cards or art prints, where literally the only thing separating your purchase from any other is just a ###/100 printing somewhere on the item itself. There are other copies of the exact same thing, but this number printed on it is your token, demonstrating the authenticity and value of your particular item. For anyone who doesn't care about that number or signature or what have you, it doesn't make a difference.

There's nothing stopping anybody from making their own copies of many assets carrying an NFT. They just don't get that associated token.

And there has definitely been drama from people who don't recognize this, that all they necessarily actually own is a particular code, as others right-click-swipe "their property" for their own use or amusement.

But, yeah, Pokemaniac probably has you pretty well covered with their description.

No, clearly Peter Molyneaux reads the Peter Molydeux twitter.

Imagine a puzzle game where you have to draw clues all over your own body with no erasing or undo. At the end, your character becomes a NFT that can be sold.

Back
Top Bottom